gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

New series. New Avenger (!!!). Still eats nuts. Still kicks butts. Not even Secret Wars can stop Marvel’s most unbeatable heroine! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1 – the new series from the New York Times bestselling creative team of Ryan North and Erica Henderson! Galactus. Thanos. M.O.D.O.K. With her unique combination of wit, empathy, and kick-butt squirrel powers, Doreen Green has taken ALL these chumps down. Now it’s time for her next challenge – balancing college life and being a full-time New Avenger! Alongside her friends Tippy Toe (a squirrel) and Nancy (a human), Squirrel Girl is all that stands between Earth and total annihilation! Sometimes. Other times there’s nothing world ending going on and she’s a normal college student. But that’s an adventure too! Now is your chance to jump on board the series that has the whole world talking when THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1 comes to comic shops this October!

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1 (AUG150821)

Written by RYAN NORTH

Art & Cover by ERICA HENDERSON

Variant Cover by BEN CALDWELL (AUG150823)

Hip-Hop Variant by PHIL NOTO (AUG150822)

Kirby Monster Variant by CHRIS BACHALO (AUG150824)

FOC – 10/05/15, On-Sale – 10/28/15

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Deadknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Is that her mom with baby pics on the last page? Looks humorously promising.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm usually not so negative on comic ideas, but no. Squirrel Girl needs to stop being a thing.

Essenemg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That face...ugh.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Remember when she had sex with Wolverine?

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd totally read this if they hired a better artist. But ugh, that's an eyesore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MachoMustachio

@xwraith said:

@kittyparker13: Is this better?

No Caption Provided

Yes much better, I really want to like this series but Henderson's art just became less and less appealing to the point now where i can say that i don't like his art (not that he is a bad artist, i just don't like him) and its funny to me how all the variant cover artist such as the one above and the Ben Caldwell variant with this preview seem to be much better choices for this series than Henderson. Hopefully an artist change happens in the near future because like i said, i really want to like SG but i just don't like the art.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Yes, that's adorable, as she should be!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

~MiB

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FearTheLiving

At this point I've accepted the art for what it is (Well mainly the faces are the worst thing about the art). The book itself is a fun read though so I'll continue to enjoy it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machomustachio: I haven't seen many other people say it, but I dislike the writing as much as the art.

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@xwraith:

damn...well if SG gets a new artist but keeps the same writer and i finally read it i hope i disagree with you because if not...*sigh* poor Squirrel Girl

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Renumbered and the art is STILL horrendous.

CaptainHeadset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainHeadset

I think in the current run shes not really used to her full potential. Shes supposed to be this cute looking goofy but super skilled hero. Not this weird looking awkward girl, that had in the comics as i think back not really defeated any enemy by herself. In the comics she just talks to them, or relies on others. This is not the squirrel girl i loved in new avengers, defending a baby from an invading force...

It went from that to this non-engaging storyline with characters that are just not interesting at all. The lame animal named heroes where funny for a frame, maybe a comic...but not for the whole run.

And the hair really looks like she previously had gum in her hair, but she decided to just cut it short herself without checking a mirror. It seems to be getting shorter as well.

fsfaith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read through the first series and I won't be subscribing to this. The writing is quite good but the artwork is just too off putting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kittyparker13: That artist goes by Gurihiru. She's does some other Squirrel Girl pictures, which are equally adorable.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squirrel girl movie or gtfo

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Squirrel girl movie or gtfo

I would choose the latter.

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this book but I rally wish the artist would try something different for the faces especially on the lips and cheekbones. I get what the artist is going for trying to make her look more squirrel but its not great to look at on her or anyone's faces.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan. I don't find "cute" to be funny, its just kind of obnoxious. But hey, if people like it and it sells more comics/keeps people buying comics, whatever.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Okay, I get it. They make more money when they're doing relaunches and start the series from number 1. But it isn't entire necessarily. You can still continue the series even after the Secret Wars event. It's like they're doing a New 52 reboot, except it's not a reboot. They pluck the characters from other Earths and get stranded on 616. Why not continue the series? Do we really need another relaunch? Maybe, it's the sales thing, who knows? Maybe, they should stick with the mini series for a while. Squirrel Girl should be a mini rather than an ongoing. If you want to make it a successful series, make it a one-shot, mini or maxi first. Then decide where to go from there. In my opinion, I find it hard for Squirrel Girl or any other minor character to carry a solo series. I mean, they are a lot of stories to tell, but it's hard to maintain such a solo of a minor character.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I get it. They make more money when they're doing relaunches and start the series from number 1. But it isn't entire necessarily. You can still continue the series even after the Secret Wars event. It's like they're doing a New 52 reboot, except it's not a reboot. They pluck the characters from other Earths and get stranded on 616. Why not continue the series? Do we really need another relaunch? Maybe, it's the sales thing, who knows? Maybe, they should stick with the mini series for a while. Squirrel Girl should be a mini rather than an ongoing. If you want to make it a successful series, make it a one-shot, mini or maxi first. Then decide where to go from there. In my opinion, I find it hard for Squirrel Girl or any other minor character to carry a solo series. I mean, they are a lot of stories to tell, but it's hard to maintain such a solo of a minor character.

You hit on something here I have been preaching for years. If they are just going to reboot/restart/re-number ever few years, why bother with the original numbering system? Why not just go 1-12 each year (January to December) and rinse and repeat every time? Or simply run a series based on creative team for a set number of issues.

There really is no such thing as an "ongoing" series anymore. Its all nonsense. Every single Marvel book is a maxi-series. As a collector, that would be a lot easier to follow than the current nightmare of a system: "Vol1 for 100-500, vol2 from 1-50, vol 3 for 1-19, vol 4 back to old number but counting the new so 560-600, etc." The current system sucks because its just chaos with no real rhyme or reason to it.

Another point, and this is just my opinion, is that the rebooting constantly has hurt keeping fans on board long-term. The reboot is gives a short term influx of readership because everyone runs to grab the #1 or get on board for the relaunch, and then by issue 4-5 its "hopefully" the same readership you had originally. In reality, it looks as though these have been as much a jumping-off point for old readers as it is for a short-term jumping on point for new readers.