• 52 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This is great news. Many of us have been enjoying Secret Wars and have been both looking forward to and dreading the end of the story. Marvel has just announced it's expanding to an extra issue. I'd much rather see a story get more room instead of having things rushed and crammed into a final issue just to finish things off.

No Caption Provided

It’s the story that has the whole world on the edge of its seat. The biggest Marvel event of all time. The story that destroyed the Marvel Universe. And if you thought it couldn’t get bigger – you thought wrong. Today Marvel is pleased to announce the expansion of the blockbuster Secret Wars event with SECRET WARS #9 – coming to comic shops later this year!

“Apparently, Secret Wars is even bigger than we thought it was,” says Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “To help Jonathan and Esad conclude this epic event as big and bombastically as it started, we are adding an extra issue. That means one more month of the suspense, action and game-changing storytelling that fans and retailers have been clamoring for since the final incursion started.”

Chartbusting creators Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic will extend their stay on Battleworld for one more epic issue. Allowing their cataclysmic story to wrap up as intended, this additional issue will bring Secret Wars to its explosive conclusion. Paving the way for the future, be there for the genesis of the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe.

“This extra issue will not affect any of the new launches as part of All-New, All-Different Marvel,“ says David Gabriel, Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing. “But there might be a surprise or two left over from Battleworld you weren’t expecting. In fact, like the original Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars, some of those puzzle pieces will hit the Marvel Universe before the event concludes. But if you want to see how they all fit together, you don’t want to miss these last few issues.

Battleworld teeters on the brink. What will become of this strange patchwork planet? Who lives? Who dies? One thing is for certain – nobody will come back from Battleworld the same after SECRET WARS #9 this December!

SECRET WARS #9

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art by ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ALEX ROSS

On Sale in December!

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

interetin

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EarthsMightiest

WOW, I love SW but this is going to wreak even further havoc on shipping schedules for post SW.

This extra issue will not affect any of the new launches as part of All-New, All-Different Marvel,“ says David Gabriel, Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing.- yea right.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is great news. Not only has Secret Wars been utterly fantastic, but so many events feel rushed at the end that it'll be nice to have a well-paced conclusion. Kudos to Marvel for letting the creators do this.

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice!

tx12100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so The story got interesting But please we need Part. 6, 7 and 8 already.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@drellassassin said:

This is great news. Not only has Secret Wars been utterly fantastic, but so many events feel rushed at the end that it'll be nice to have a well-paced conclusion. Kudos to Marvel for letting the creators do this.

Lets hope thats it and the behind the scenes reason is not some Marvel Executives going like: "This sells great. Tell the creators to draw it out!"

I'm rather optimistic, thought we haven't reached an modern day comic events most critical point yet, the point at which tie-ins tie into the main story.

Also nice to see that Mr Fantastic and the Fantastic Four characters are so involved. The franchise might have died slowly over the years, but at least they get a funeral worthy of the Marvel Universes first Family.

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool but, 6,7,and 8 pls

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Hmm. I don't think I've ever seen this happen - would be interested to know if it was by design or at least was a variable they were considering from the start.

Still, the series has been compelling work; good that it will allow for a full story to be told if it was in danger of not seeing that necessary space. Good on Marvel.

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ShadowLife248

Wow nice, more space to flesh out the story and ending. But please no more copy and paste same image Esad eventho there are changes and extension :(

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Hickman, Ribic, Marvel, etc. realized and felt they needed another issue to finish this off with the quality of the first half then I'm all for it and it's undoubtedly the correct decision. There's nothing worse than ending a great story with a rushed, exposition heavy issue that still leaves too many glossed over or unanswered questions. It's also a good lesson in why they shouldn't commit to a set number of issues in the beginning and label it that way on the solicits and covers. The perfect example is Scott Snyder's The Wake, he really could have, and should have, added another issue to that to finish it off a bit smoother and more satisfactory.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By akbogert

I'm perfectly fine with seeing the series extended but:

1- unless all this delaying is art-related, I'm a little uncomfortable with the implication that such a crucial story hasn't even finished being written yet.

2- i'm concerned that the post-SW books will have to somewhat spoil SW's resolution, or that they'll remain confusing until the last issue comes out.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possible Reason 1: "You know what, there is a bigger story to tell. It would be unfair to condense down such an epic saga just for convenience sake."

Possible reason 2: "You know what, we can milk this more and get more money. So what if already decided on a well paced story before."

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

I'm perfectly fine with seeing the series extended but:

1- unless all this delaying is art-related, I'm a little uncomfortable with the implication that such a crucial story hasn't even finished being written yet.

2- i'm concerned that the post-SW books will have to somewhat spoil SW's resolution, or that they'll remain confusing until the last issue comes out.

Seeing as this issue doesn't come out until December, four months away is pretty normal. I'm sure he has the story beats planned out by now, but it's normal for the actual dialogue to be unfinished at this point.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a huge Fantastic Four fan, I like that this is basically an FF story.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

@drellassassin: For a regular ongoing, I'd anticipate that. But for something literally resetting the entire continuity of the company I'd have expected it to be a little more tamped down, is all.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good. The past few big events (that I actually read and from both Marvel and DC) have kind of rushed things towards the end. For some reason they all feel like they need to tell their big story in eight parts. Whatever the reason, it's not important to me, as long as the writing stays consistent and it works out.

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main series has been a pleasant surprise so far. I've been leery (and weary) of events recently, but this one has had a lot to offer that overcame my skepticism. I hope the remainder continues to maintain the quality. I'm hoping the additional issue will avoid the rushed feel we see at the end of way too many events.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

As a huge Fantastic Four fan, I like that this is basically an FF story.

What do you think of the current FF movie?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Possible Reason 1: "You know what, there is a bigger story to tell. It would be unfair to condense down such an epic saga just for convenience sake."

Possible reason 2: "You know what, we can milk this more and get more money. So what if already decided on a well paced story before."

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not make it 10? That's a nice round number

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mark_Stephen

I'm not picking it up but I'm glad they are giving themselves a bit of extra time to get it right and I hope it's not like the job they did on OMD/BND.

Still rooting for Doom anyway, at least he's honest in his villainy.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Yes please!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

I am shocked, but intrigued by this. I wonder what's going to happen!

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Meh.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By InFamous_Wolf

Cool, this is the first time since I've been reading Marvel that I have really enjoyed their event.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why they won't do 2 issues of this a month like they did with issues 1 and 2 ... we the fans would get a fill of the SW main title and Marvel will get their big bucks.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Oh god... they are messing with Hickman's story this late in the game...

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All about dat $$$$$$$

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it is not them splitting the last issue in two.

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ia0delond: They're not. It sounds like what the have planned would take up too many pages, hence the extra issue.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

Ick.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes me wonder if they have any idea what they're doing over there...

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Wow!!!! Can't wait to read it.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

''We don't know how to deal with this mess soo lets make another issue while trying to figure it out '' :D

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Secret Wars is shaping up to be Marvel's best event since Infinity and that was also by Hickman.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not make it 10? That's a nice round number

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This bugs me. Like when Capt. America Reborn changed from a four issue mini series to five. Then you had to pick up an Annual to get the real conclusion to the story. This is just another money grab...

Surprised they're letting a member of the F4 be central on another cover...

~KL~

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

It doesn't sound like Marvel is messing with. Instead they are expanding on it make the ending not feel like DC's do-nothing "Convergence".

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@teerack said:

It doesn't sound like Marvel is messing with. Instead they are expanding on it make the ending not feel like DC's do-nothing "Convergence".

Yeah sounds like messing with it.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really?!! We've already gone through four issues and NOTHING HAS EVEN HAPPENED YET!!! Of course they need extra issues to actually tell the story. Who uses half of a series for set-up? At least we know why the price of #8 dropped now. But I'm seriously pissed that a series that was supposed to wrap at the beginning of October is now lasting through December.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really?!! We've already gone through four issues and NOTHING HAS EVEN HAPPENED YET!!! Of course they need extra issues to actually tell the story. Who uses half of a series for set-up? At least we know why the price of #8 dropped now. But I'm seriously pissed that a series that was supposed to wrap at the beginning of October is now lasting through December.

Nothing has happened? As I see it a lot has happened. Sorry that it didn't have the usual "beat the crap out of each other" issue like most US comics are. As one who's spent a lot of time in animes/mangas, I see SW is more character driven. Considering the scope of this Marvel reboot reading conversations is very refreshing change of pace. Doom the thinker vs. Doom the villain. Just shows that he's still human. I'll take that any day of the week. If you want to see the mindless fights, read the side stories. You'll get plenty there.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nickxh: Infinity was incomprehensible garbage

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised so many people like secret wars. So far I haven't really cared for it. Some times I wish Hickman would just get to the point. His avengers/new avengers run had to much setup and not much payoff. This feels the same IMO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: 100% agree with you about his Avengers/NA run, but I feel like if I basically ignore that and the years of essentially wasted time, Secret Wars is still pretty darn enjoyable on its own (despite being so much of a shameless ripoff of Game of Thrones, which I don't even like)

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: 100% agree with you about his Avengers/NA run, but I feel like if I basically ignore that and the years of essentially wasted time, Secret Wars is still pretty darn enjoyable on its own (despite being so much of a shameless ripoff of Game of Thrones, which I don't even like)

Well I've only read the main book really but I just feel nothings been revealed that I didn't already know going in from reading the solicits.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: I thought the solicits haven't said like anything

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah so starting your new universe before finishing your old, i feel my marvel fanboy side turning too the dark side of dc