Preview Theatre: GREEN LANTERN #40

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This week for our exclusive preview from DC, we decided to give it the Preview Theatre treatment (you can see plenty more HERE). What's going on with Hal Jordan? What will this mean for the future of the Green Lantern Corps?

Check out the video.

If watching videos isn't your thing or if you're at a place where you're supposed to be "working" and can't watch videos, be sure to check it out later. For now, here's the regular version of the preview for your enjoyment.

No Caption Provided

GREEN LANTERN #40

(W) Robert Venditti (A) Billy Tan, Mark Irwin (CA) Billy Tan

It's the ultimate betrayal! But what could make Hal Jordan turn on the Templar Guardians and the Corps? Setting the stage for a status quo change that will impact all the Green Lantern titles!

Item Code: JAN150342 In Shops: 3/4/2015 SRP: $2.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Can't wait, Venditti does a great job writing Hal (and Kilowog), and Billy Tan's art is PERFECT for this book, which always makes it a visual treat.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

Movie variants!!!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I love Green Lantern, I was about to go to bed feeling awful, and this preview made me feel better, which at the end of the day is what a good comic should do. I think it's the combination of Hal's unique personality, and the fact that Lantern books are always very separate from everything else that's going on in comics. It's like an escape within an escape.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Hal Jordan betraying the Green Lantern Corps... what does this mean?! And it sucks having to wait for the trade to find out.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is why I love Green Lantern, I was about to go to bed feeling awful, and this preview made me feel better, which at the end of the day is what a good comic should do. I think it's the combination of Hal's unique personality, and the fact that Lantern books are always very separate from everything else that's going on in comics. It's like an escape within an escape.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MuyJingo

It's kind of screwed up that HTML 5 video, an open, standard replacement for the proprietary muck that is flash is only available to premium members.

That's completely contrary to the point it serves.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hal betray Green Lantern Corps .... Wait is that have ever happen Kilowog ? Cough cough cough cough Hal become Parallax

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@captainmarvel4ever said:

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kick his arse kilowog!!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Parallax comin yo

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. I haven't been following the book but the whole traitor bit has me a bit curious. Anybody mind filling me in on what's happening? Or is this part new to this story arc?

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say i've ever been a big Hal Jordan fan, i just read all the other Earth Lanterns first and they were much more interesting. Nor am i a big fan of Vindeti's run on the book, that being said, this particular issue does have me curious, but i can't help but feel like it will be a forced excuse to put Hal back in the JL book, shame. They already have Baz and he was even built up

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the third image (right after the combo pack), Hal looks like Doctor Frank-N-Furter.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything bad happens with Kilowog, I'll be pissed!!!

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

That Green Lantern weapon is a nice call back to the under appreciated War of the Green Lanterns story.

vasu12360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what is that backpack type thing

Equonox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig the tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey in that alternate cover...very cool

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Looks good. I can't wait to read it next week! And good job on the video Tony!

BumBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Hal did a short tenure with a new corps like Guy Gardner and the reds.

BumBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vasu12360: It's called the power/will gauntlet that was worn by Krona gives willpower a supercharge

Avatar image for carlomaldonado10
carlomaldonado10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read this yet but I have feeling the reason why is Hal about to go "crazy" is because he knows the GL corps is a bad place and he feels that if goes in extreme measures, the universe will hate him instead of the other lanterns. Kind of like he did in justice league before he left.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly! I'm hoping that one day this will translate to a film that is truly able to capture the scope of this comic. As you stated in your previous comment, Venditti has been doing a bang up job. It's hard to replace Geoff Johns run, but he is giving it an incredible effort!

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant wait

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bunkitz: New story, you can jump on this issue if you'd like

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this will affect his return in the Justice League comic.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

I doubt that Hal is really going crazy. There's is most likely something we don't know

Scistorm4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it seems the Templar Guardians are becoming more and more like the old Guardians every time we see them. How long before they become flat-out jerks, do you think?

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thinking about buying this just for the 2001 cover.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Bravo!

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Hmmmmmmmm

Just finished GodHead, hope this isn't another event

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal betraying the corp?

Just too inventive for me.

Desh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal Jordan no longer Green Lantern? Awesome!

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@desh said:

It's funny how you completely misinterpret a tried and true trope as something to provide "proof" for a "theory" that is really just to further your personal vendetta against a character. You know as well as I do that the trope of a character betraying the organization of which he is a part is something used all the time by many different writers. Its obvious from the preview that the Guardians are about to implement something that is at least controversial, and Hal sees it as them going down the route that last Guardians did.

So, essentially, Venditti is just recycling Johns' last story right now.

Oh, and by the way, what happened with the Green Lantern Corps relaunch you were predicting for June? Oh, that's right. It didn't happen. Again.

Avatar image for originalalchemist
originalalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal gets food poisoning from Kilowog. It's the final straw so he quits the corps and heads back to earth. Not before smacking Kilowog around for being a terrible cook. Just my guess. Love Tan on art though. Have I mentioned that?

alexishavok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

okay. this better be not another emerald twilight. lets put hal back with the league, keep him in the main gl title and make guy the lead again for the gl corps.

actually, make that a guy and kyle starrer for gl: lost lanterns or something.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mysoulz

@zeeguy91 said:

@desh said:

It's funny how you completely misinterpret a tried and true trope as something to provide "proof" for a "theory" that is really just to further your personal vendetta against a character. You know as well as I do that the trope of a character betraying the organization of which he is a part is something used all the time by many different writers. Its obvious from the preview that the Guardians are about to implement something that is at least controversial, and Hal sees it as them going down the route that last Guardians did.

So, essentially, Venditti is just recycling Johns' last story right now.

Oh, and by the way, what happened with the Green Lantern Corps relaunch you were predicting for June? Oh, that's right. It didn't happen. Again.

Most people were predicting a GL weekly title.

Technically, the Green Lantern Corps title is being relaunched as GL: Lost Army. So it did happen. The Corps title may be renamed due to what's relative on what's going on in this weeks Green Lantern.

I'm sure the new title will be reverted back into Green Lantern Corps later down the road.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@mysoulz: But its not the Green Lantern title that Desh was specifically asking for. He wanted a title that starred John Stewart, exclusively. However, since all the other GL titles were cancelled, what we'll probably be getting is a title that showcases Kyle, Guy, and John.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@mysoulz: But its not the Green Lantern title that Desh was specifically asking for. He wanted a title that starred John Stewart, exclusively. However, since all the other GL titles were cancelled, what we'll probably be getting is a title that showcases Kyle, Guy, and John.

Considering the title is still called Green Lantern: Lost Army, I don't know whether the book would feature an ensemble cast with Kyle and Guy, because they aren't Green Lanterns anymore, which their status quo don't fit with it's title. Gail Simone did say there's more titles on the way after Convergence. So maybe the human lanterns will have their own books by then. BUT you could be right. DC may plan to put all three human lanterns in one book to have a higher sales percentage, instead of reducing sales by splitting human lanterns in solo books. We'll see.