Preview Theatre: ANT-MAN #4

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This week for one of our exclusive preview from Marvel, we decided to give it the Preview Theatre treatment (you can see plenty more HERE). In ANT-MAN, Scott Lang has moved to Miami to be close to his recently-returned-from-the-dead daughter. Unfortunately, she's been kidnapped. In this preview, we get to find out the true reason behind her abduction.

Check out the video.

If watching videos isn't your thing or if you're at a place where you're supposed to be "working" and can't watch videos, you do have another option. Sometimes a closer look at a page or panel is called for. For now, here's the regular version of the preview for your enjoyment.

If you haven't watched, be sure to check it out later.

No Caption Provided

ANT-MAN #4

(W) Nick Spencer (A) Ramon Rosanas (CA) Mark Brooks

• Ant-Man has to pull off an impossible break-in, but he can't do it alone. Which means... he's gonna need a new gang!

• Er, of criminals. New gang of criminals. Probably should mention that part.

• This is all because of that stupid mysterious bad guy we can't tell you about. Man, that is annoying.

• Out with it already, right? Comics.

Rated T+

Item Code: FEB150806 In Shops: 4/8/2015 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Gotta love that cover.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is one of the few Marvel titles I am reading. I have been loving it so far! And yes...that cover is terrific!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WAM-Hope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WAM-Hope

Ok, the cover is just so cool that I have to admit it.

Now... For PITY'S SAKE DON'T KILL CASSIE AGAIN!! She's one of the marvel characters I love the most!!

You can resurrect a character just to kill him/her again!! (Unless it is an event and even so)

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

That is one of the coolest covers I ever seen.

2099man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't it wonderful to have a company like Marvel that isn't ashamed in the least to call it'self a purveyor of Superhero Comics or embrace the awesome insanity that comes with that title? I mean, In this comic alone we have an ant themed hero with shrinking powers with a guy in a bear suit as his side-kick, in Miami fighting crime together while the Ant themed hero tries to be a good father. On that note, if they kill Cassie I'm gonna be miffed.

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Girl just can't catch a break, can she?

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sweet cover

But, i have to say, not happy with the plot of daughter getting kidnapped.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They'll try to kill Cass and fail - and then we'll know how she was resurrected.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scavengerfist said:

They'll try to kill Cass and fail - and then we'll know how she was resurrected.

Well, we now how :) Dr. Doom resurrect here using Scarlet Witch reality-shaping power for erese his sin of killing here :) - Avengers World n. 16

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scavengerfist said:

Well, we now how :) Dr. Doom resurrect here using Scarlet Witch reality-shaping power for erese his sin of killing here :) - Avengers World n. 16

This is long after Young Avengers: Children's Crusade right?

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scavengerfist: Yes! Happened in the end of Axis event, more or less the same month of Ant-Man n. 1 :) so at the start of this volume, Cassie is just returned to life :) [but since Scott Lang wasen't involved in the Axis Event, he have no idea of how and why Cassie is returned! She simply appear knocking at the door of his appartment, and I think she have no memory of what happened from Children's Crusade to today]

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love these!

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took 3 chapters to get Cassie Kidnapped... might be record...

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scavengerfist: Yes! Happened in the end of Axis event, more or less the same month of Ant-Man n. 1 :) so at the start of this volume, Cassie is just returned to life :) [but since Scott Lang wasen't involved in the Axis Event, he have no idea of how and why Cassie is returned! She simply appear knocking at the door of his appartment, and I think she have no memory of what happened from Children's Crusade to today]

Ah, that time when Doom was good. *sniff* Good thing though, redeeming himself with resurrecting Cassie.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent series, one of Marvels best.

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for the love of god, please stop complaining about Cassie being kidnapped. it makes perfect sense, from Cross' perspective, to kidnap her. she has a heart that can change sizes. it's not just because she's a little girl. plus I'd say that she's done very good for herself. Cassie's been around since the 80s and has only been kidnapped once before (Geoff Johns Avengers run). and, even then, she wasn't kidnapped to get Scott's attention; it was just a random crazed child murderer. anyways, I can't wait to read the entire issue.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Stahlflamme

You know great series, but Cassie was a superhero shouldn't she put up a little more of a fight. I do feel like they ignore a lot of character development that happened while Scott was dead.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta start reading this. Love both of the covers, even if the variant makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Also

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

amazing series so far

and incredible cover.

~MiB

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think I would really enjoy this book if it didn't completely invalidate everything about Scott's character prior to the movie. As things are, reading it just makes me angry.

Avatar image for myfavoriteviltrumite23
MyFavoriteViltrumite23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of remiinds me of Hotline Miami

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never thought Marvel could get me to like Ant-Man, but Spencer pulled it off. Genius...

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think I would really enjoy this book if it didn't completely invalidate everything about Scott's character prior to the movie. As things are, reading it just makes me angry.

I'm in a similar boat, I mean where the hell is Darla? And why have then never made any reference to the FF team he lead?

StarOfElyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2099man: If they kill Cassie, I'm gonna start a riot!

StarOfElyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel can get away with it considering how few people knew or gave a crap about Scott Lang.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I love this book.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving this series, such a fun title.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That cover is just bad ass !!

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nappystr8

I'm not sure what you mean. we saw Darla and Scott together in the story that introduced the new Ant-Man series. Darla was there when Cassie returned. she wasn't 'invalidated.' i'll say that the moment that Cassie returned, Darla's time was up. and I'm thankful for it. I like Darla, as a character. but I was dreading it when Fraction hooked her up w/ Scott; for Scott's sake. talk about a one-sided relationship; automatically makes scott the butt of the joke. she's a young adventurous party girl and a professional entertainerl. how long do you think it would have been before she cheated on him (remember what happened to Johnny)? how often do you think the age difference (and them having nothing in common because of the generational gap) would come up? they basically turned him into Doug Hutchison. and i'll miss the Future Foundation. but he was only there as a substitute teacher. so he's in the same boat as She-Hulk. no one complained about the FF not being mentioned in her series. why shouldn't Scott be allowed to move on? his family comes first, afterall.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nappystr8

I'm not sure what you mean. we saw Darla and Scott together in the story that introduced the new Ant-Man series. Darla was there when Cassie returned. she wasn't 'invalidated.' i'll say that the moment that Cassie returned, Darla's time was up. and I'm thankful for it. I like Darla, as a character. but I was dreading it when Fraction hooked her up w/ Scott; for Scott's sake. talk about a one-sided relationship; automatically makes scott the butt of the joke. she's a young adventurous party girl and a professional entertainerl. how long do you think it would have been before she cheated on him (remember what happened to Johnny)? how often do you think the age difference (and them having nothing in common because of the generational gap) would come up? they basically turned him into Doug Hutchison. and i'll miss the Future Foundation. but he was only there as a substitute teacher. so he's in the same boat as She-Hulk. no one complained about the FF not being mentioned in her series. why shouldn't Scott be allowed to move on? his family comes first, after all.

Honestly Darla didn't even enter my thought process when writing that comment, although, I really did think their relationship was an interesting one that I would have liked to see continued. The FF stuff played very little role in my thought process either, but I would argue that it is not the same, as She Hulk was only a member of the team. Scott was the leader and the main character of the book.

I was referring more to the fact that Cassie's character was resurrected and regressed for the sole reason of aligning the book to the movie. Not to mention, the first two issues don't even address Cassie's return in Avengers World, a book with no ties to the Ant-Man, the Young Avengers. A book which a relatively small group of people read. I had to do internet research just to find out how Cassie was just showed up alive out of nowhere. Scott's personality has completely changed from what I am familiar with as well. Not just from what it was in FF, but what is was during his time as an Avenger. It feels to me like they superimposed Eric O'Grady's personality onto a character who I thought was already interesting enough in his own right.

I'm not faulting anyone for liking this book. I think taken out of continuity it is very well written. But as someone who already developed a connection to this character, and to Cassie, the changes are just something that I cannot support with my money.

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anty-hero said:

@nappystr8

I'm not sure what you mean. we saw Darla and Scott together in the story that introduced the new Ant-Man series. Darla was there when Cassie returned. she wasn't 'invalidated.' i'll say that the moment that Cassie returned, Darla's time was up. and I'm thankful for it. I like Darla, as a character. but I was dreading it when Fraction hooked her up w/ Scott; for Scott's sake. talk about a one-sided relationship; automatically makes scott the butt of the joke. she's a young adventurous party girl and a professional entertainerl. how long do you think it would have been before she cheated on him (remember what happened to Johnny)? how often do you think the age difference (and them having nothing in common because of the generational gap) would come up? they basically turned him into Doug Hutchison. and i'll miss the Future Foundation. but he was only there as a substitute teacher. so he's in the same boat as She-Hulk. no one complained about the FF not being mentioned in her series. why shouldn't Scott be allowed to move on? his family comes first, after all.

Honestly Darla didn't even enter my thought process when writing that comment, although, I really did think their relationship was an interesting one that I would have liked to see continued. The FF stuff played very little role in my thought process either, but I would argue that it is not the same, as She Hulk was only a member of the team. Scott was the leader and the main character of the book.

I was referring more to the fact that Cassie's character was resurrected and regressed for the sole reason of aligning the book to the movie. Not to mention, the first two issues don't even address Cassie's return in Avengers World, a book with no ties to the Ant-Man, the Young Avengers. A book which a relatively small group of people read. I had to do internet research just to find out how Cassie was just showed up alive out of nowhere. Scott's personality has completely changed from what I am familiar with as well. Not just from what it was in FF, but what is was during his time as an Avenger. It feels to me like they superimposed Eric O'Grady's personality onto a character who I thought was already interesting enough in his own right.

I'm not faulting anyone for liking this book. I think taken out of continuity it is very well written. But as someone who already developed a connection to this character, and to Cassie, the changes are just something that I cannot support with my money.

yours is a valid opinion. I can only speak from my own perspective; as a lifelong Scott Lang fan. Spencer's depiction is faithful to Scott's portrayal within the pages of David Michelinie's Iron Man run. if they had done the right thing and spun that era's Ant-Man into a solo run, it would be similar to Nick Spencer's (speculatively).

you see what happened to Cassie as a regression. I see it as Cassie being written in-character. what happened in Young Avengers was them fast-tracking her into a role that she normally wouldn't play until she was an adult (see: Avengers Next). they fridged Scott because she was a convenient legacy character to use in Young Avengers. they made up some stuff about her secretly stealing her father's Pym particles. she goes from being kidnapped in Geoff Johns to suddenly being a fulltime heroine (her win/loss record was actually pretty shoddy). I can see why it might appeal to some people. but I thought that they missed the mark. if anything, Scott should have been the one to introduce her to the life/training her. I'm betting that it is what happens; now that they are both alive.

something that I noticed immediately upon reading Irredeemable Ant-Man is that Eric really could not exist w/o Scott. he was basically a Scott pre-reformation. Eric even has a child on the way by the end of his run. you say that Eric was superimposed but ignore that irresponsibility and impulsivity were traits that Scott had in his original depiction. he was always a clever everyman w/ slacker tendencies and a skewed moral compass. he is skilled in the use of technology; unlike Eric. and he is devoted to his child; unlike Eric. but he still looked the other way when Gus Sweezer (a friend from prison) told him about planned criminal activity. he still left Cassie on a carnival ride so he could go fight the Taskmaster. he's still an accomplice in the murder of Cassie's kidnapper.

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scavengerfist: yeah, really a good thing, ad good writers choice :) and it come totally unespected, reading Avengers World... I was "WHOOOOAAA O_O" when I understand that he was resurrecting Cassie :)

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yours is a valid opinion. I can only speak from my own perspective; as a lifelong Scott Lang fan. Spencer's depiction is faithful to Scott's portrayal within the pages of David Michelinie's Iron Man run. if they had done the right thing and spun that era's Ant-Man into a solo run, it would be similar to Nick Spencer's (speculatively).

you see what happened to Cassie as a regression. I see it as Cassie being written in-character. what happened in Young Avengers was them fast-tracking her into a role that she normally wouldn't play until she was an adult (see: Avengers Next). they fridged Scott because she was a convenient legacy character to use in Young Avengers. they made up some stuff about her secretly stealing her father's Pym particles. she goes from being kidnapped in Geoff Johns to suddenly being a fulltime heroine (her win/loss record was actually pretty shoddy). I can see why it might appeal to some people. but I thought that they missed the mark. if anything, Scott should have been the one to introduce her to the life/training her. I'm betting that it is what happens; now that they are both alive.

something that I noticed immediately upon reading Irredeemable Ant-Man is that Eric really could not exist w/o Scott. he was basically a Scott pre-reformation. Eric even has a child on the way by the end of his run. you say that Eric was superimposed but ignore that irresponsibility and impulsivity were traits that Scott had in his original depiction. he was always a clever everyman w/ slacker tendencies and a skewed moral compass. he is skilled in the use of technology; unlike Eric. and he is devoted to his child; unlike Eric. but he still looked the other way when Gus Sweezer (a friend from prison) told him about planned criminal activity. he still left Cassie on a carnival ride so he could go fight the Taskmaster. he's still an accomplice in the murder of Cassie's kidnapper.

I'm actually really glad to hear that this version of Scott does have a basis in the comics. I never read any of that Iron Man run. It's still not the Scott that I have grown to love over the past 15 years, but at least it is somebody's Scott.