#1 Edited by G-Man (34033 posts) - - Show Bio

NEW AVENGERS #19

(W) Jonathan Hickman (A) Valerio Schiti (CA) Dustin Weaver

• It's the battle you didn't know you wanted to see-until now! As the New Avengers take on the combined power of the Great Society-and only a single parallel Earth can survive!

Item Code: APR140663In Shops: 6/11/2014SRP: $3.99

Staff
#2 Edited by HumanRocket (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

I've skipped the last two issues, but I may get this issue if things start to really pick up. The series has been dragging out since Christmas time.

#3 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14414 posts) - - Show Bio

I've skipped the last two issues, but I may get this issue if things start to really pick up. The series has been dragging out since Christmas time.

You might wanna get those two issues just in case my friend.

#4 Posted by HumanRocket (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket said:

You might wanna get those two issues just in case my friend.

Can I get away without reading those two issues? Or is it really necessary for the story line?

#5 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14414 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket: Unless you have an good idea of what is going on then you skip it but if you don't then you might want to get them.They deal with what the Black Panther might do and so on.

#6 Posted by HumanRocket (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster:

Ill probably pick up the last issue. I could already tell that they would head into the Great Societies universe to find out how they were able to stop the incursions, but I think I can find the digital code on Ebay for a dollar so Ill pick it up just to fresh on the story.

#7 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14414 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket: That is the best course of action and have you been reading Avengers too ?

#8 Posted by HumanRocket (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster:

Yup, Steve has his memories back from issue 2 of New Avengers. We're coming close to the eventual meeting between both Avengers team. Looks like what Tony's future granddaughter's prediction is coming true.

#9 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14414 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Twix_Right_Side (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster:

Yup, Steve has his memories back from issue 2 of New Avengers. We're coming close to the eventual meeting between both Avengers team. Looks like what Tony's future granddaughter's prediction is coming true.

What was her prediction?

#11 Posted by HumanRocket (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side: that Stark's idea to use the device he was building to use the sun to stop the incursions will not work, that the Avengers will find out about the New Avenger's plan and that they will come after him. And that he will need to use the device she build for him. You should pick up the issue Avengers 24.1.

#12 Posted by Twix_Right_Side (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side: that Stark's idea to use the device he was building to use the sun to stop the incursions will not work, that the Avengers will find out about the New Avenger's plan and that they will come after him. And that he will need to use the device she build for him. You should pick up the issue Avengers 24.1.

Oh I remember. Thanks,man. :)

#13 Posted by Lvenger (19870 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm calling it now, I have a nagging hunch that there's going to be another spout of Hulk vs Superman flame wars after this issue comes out. The Great Society are another parallel of the Justice League by Marvel and since the last Avengers issue, Bruce Banner is now a member of The Illuminati. So it stands to unfortunate reason that he'll be the one to tangle with The Sun God (the Superman analogue) and if Hulk does well or win, this is going to add fuel to the fires of the debate that Hulk does stand a chance against Superman.

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk shouldn't be on this team.

Not now, not ever.

#15 Edited by Brione (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the fake Justice League kicks their ass and destroys the 616 (yeah, I know that wont happen).

I like the Avengers, I like Hickman's writing, and I like Marvel almost as much as DC, but creating this fake Justice League is very corny. Maybe if they had a writer do this story who actually wrote Justice League it would be ok (like Waid or Morrison). As it is now, it's an insult to DC fans.

#16 Posted by dondave (37380 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by MixMastaMicah5 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@brione: I don't see it that way at all. Ever heard of the Squadron Supreme? I would hardly call Hickman's writing "corny" as well since it's all pretty much high concept.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Brione (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@brione: I don't see it that way at all. Ever heard of the Squadron Supreme? I would hardly call Hickman's writing "corny" as well since it's all pretty much high concept.

Squadron Supreme is corny too. Does DC ever make it's own version of Marvel teams? Nope. The concept of the story is kind of cool but the fake Justice League = corny. The fake Justice League is only there so that the Avengers can beat them and then people will say things like, "see the Avengers are better than the Justice League they just proved it."

It's unnecessary. Hickman could have made the team not be mirror images of the Justice League and the main plot of the story would still be same, but Hickman wanted them to mirror the Justice League to get a rise out of DC fans. Like I said, it's an insult to DC fans.

#20 Posted by MixMastaMicah5 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@brione: I think what this is really boiling down to you is branding loyalty. Unfortunately many fans of all sorts of mediums fall prey to this and it's quite unfortunate. The Squadron Supreme MAX was great and I am glad they created that just as I'm glad they created this new team. These are interesting takes on classic tropes. I, as a Marvel and DC fan, do not feel compelled to bring it up in passing if the Avengers defeated this other team just to get a "rise" out of you. This idea of sharing and creating spins on characters has been done for years now and is hardly anything new or to get upset about. As long as the stories are cleverly plotted and executed I'm in regardless of my need to win the internet over message boards.

Here are just a few each company has borrowed:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/06/10_more_bizarre_marveldc_parallels.php

#21 Posted by Farkam (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

That cover art is bad.

#22 Posted by Brione (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@mixmastamicah5: Putting mirror images of the Justice League in an Avengers story is different from everything on that list.

I'm a fan of DC and Marvel. I'll admit that I like DC more, but if DC came out with a Justice League comic where they were fighting a team from a different universe that were mirror images of the Avengers, I'd be saying the same thing about them.

It's not the worst thing in the world. I just think that Hickman could of came up with an original team from a different universe instead using the Justice League.

#23 Edited by Twix_Right_Side (2321 posts) - - Show Bio

@brione said:

@mixmastamicah5 said:

Squadron Supreme is corny too. Does DC ever make it's own version of Marvel teams? Nope. The concept of the story is kind of cool but the fake Justice League = corny. The fake Justice League is only there so that the Avengers can beat them and then people will say things like, "see the Avengers are better than the Justice League they just proved it."

It's unnecessary. Hickman could have made the team not be mirror images of the Justice League and the main plot of the story would still be same, but Hickman wanted them to mirror the Justice League to get a rise out of DC fans. Like I said, it's an insult to DC fans.

I hope the fake Justice League kicks their ass and destroys the 616 (yeah, I know that wont happen).

I like the Avengers, I like Hickman's writing, and I like Marvel almost as much as DC, but creating this fake Justice League is very corny. Maybe if they had a writer do this story who actually wrote Justice League it would be ok (like Waid or Morrison). As it is now, it's an insult to DC fans.

Actually,that's not really the purpose of The Great Society. It's not so insecure fanboys can try to find security in an alternate team.

Not only that,but that's absolutely false. Ever hear of the Champions of Angor? Or The Maximums? Or the entire universe with Americommando (Lord Havok). You act as if they are trying to take a shot at DC. They aren't making the characters weak,especially so they can just serve as fodder,so you don't really need to be so tense,man.It's nothing really to complain about if they are fighting analogues of another team,ESPECIALLY if the team isn't being made just for the sake of being easily defeated.

Sure,a lot of the characters are created as parallels of DC characters (some are parallels of characters that aren't even leaguers,like The Norn),but you act as if they make them incredibly weak so much so that D-listers like the New Warriors can beat them. If that was the case,I could see your point (and Wildstorm and DC have done the same to Marvel,and the former has done it to DC as well).

Not only that,but I like the Squadron Supreme. Mainly the Supreme Power version. It not only makes them a lot more distinct from DC's justice league,but provides a great story at the same time while carving out the characters. For a team that has been branded as "rip offs" (not going to deny that they were intentionally created as pastiches to the JLA),they sure have had a LOT of various incarnations and prominence to grow in the Marvel Universe to be more.

@mixmastamicah5 said:

@brione: I think what this is really boiling down to you is branding loyalty. Unfortunately many fans of all sorts of mediums fall prey to this and it's quite unfortunate. The Squadron Supreme MAX was great and I am glad they created that just as I'm glad they created this new team. These are interesting takes on classic tropes. I, as a Marvel and DC fan, do not feel compelled to bring it up in passing if the Avengers defeated this other team just to get a "rise" out of you. This idea of sharing and creating spins on characters has been done for years now and is hardly anything new or to get upset about. As long as the stories are cleverly plotted and executed I'm in regardless of my need to win the internet over message boards.

Here are just a few each company has borrowed:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2012/06/10_more_bizarre_marveldc_parallels.php

This,too.

#24 Posted by HumanRocket (8140 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol I knew it was only a matter of time until someone mentioned how the Great Society resembles a JL team. But I actually think the super speed girl looks more like the girl from the Power Pals episode from Fairy Oddparents

#25 Edited by Erkan12 (2713 posts) - - Show Bio

Good thing that Sun God vs. Hulk is happening. I will follow it.