academic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sodamyat:

Let's ask Chris Evans ( CAP) if sup can SOLO the avengers

Meanwhile, "Avengers: Age of Ultron" stars Captain America and Hawkeye actors Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner hadn't seen the "Batman v Superman" teaser trailer yet did have plenty to say about how powerful Superman is.

"How does anyone fight Superman?" asks Evans.

"I know, that's what I don't get. What are you going to do with a Bat-belt?" adds Renner.

"I feel like [Superman] would bulldoze our whole squad, they really wrote him unfairly. It's not fair, he's got too much." finished Evans.

Evans Has COMMON SENSE

pewtergod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor can not be a chick, he was born male, and this sucks.

That said, killraven, no one owns feminism, it is not an ideology created by Millett or anyone else, it is a movement. And while there is always a wide variety of opinions in any movement, that does nothing to invalidate it's core goals, which in this case is to create equality. Joss Whedon is a hard-core feminist, but I think he would laugh if you ascribed those motives to him.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it is Harry Potter...

who really cares who the female is.

What is odd should be , what that whisper was.

"your fly is down"

"Your a momma's boy"

"Your daddy never loved you"

"cant you use any other weapon other then that hammer"

"are you the god of thunder or do you just do this part time"

"your brother has better one liners then you"

"your hammer is powered by windows 8"

I mean who cares who female Thor is , what is important is......

How in the world can a whisper make you unworthy?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordwhis said:

I'm sorry but how is all of this happening ?

Ain't the Odinson dead ?

Or did he survive his encounter with the Beyonders ?

If he did he should be much higher up in Marvel Hierarchy.

The events in the current Thor book take place before those in New Avengers.

Avatar image for loganblue_therealonehollywood
LoganBlue_TheRealOneHollywood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is RIDICULOUS ! Thor is Thor not a Woman ! At least Hulk got rid of Red Hulk for the moment. Time for a reboot Marvel !

King_Erotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathsdoor726: those are all the women in odinsons list i think.

he also wants to know who the new thor is

will5454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be jane,sif,odinson sister?It could be odinsons other half he gets spit in half be enchantment?

ThorOdinson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol it is Thor's strategy to get the people he thinks is she Thor in the same place as her so two birds with one stone deal, it is not about feminism and hell maybe the feminist will hop on these female characters so Thor can get Mjolnir back faster.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By D3athstroke

I don't understand this. Thor is not Thor, random chick is Thor ?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always though it would be cool if it was Thor's daughter from that Avengers Next movie.

Fiesty_Badger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Fiesty_Badger6

@br_havoc said:

Why is Odinson the only male fighting the armor?, I know this book is meant to promote women and feminism but at the end of the day feminism is about equality so should there not be all types of people fighting the armor?

The answer is, because you have to ask that question.

@andyphifer: nO. i DON'T THINK THAT'S AN ANSWER...

Thor_is_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Internet feminism universally relies on the No True Scotsman fallacy. Every internet feminist claims to adhere to some sort of flawless feminist ideology, which you cannot prove is false, and they declare that either "no real feminist thinks that" or that "only a few radicals think that." No amount of evidence to the contrary can dislodge such people from their claims.

If you give them the benefit of the doubt, it is because they are "casual feminists." They only know the term in a very general sense, and they do not actually do anything about it. They naively assume that anyone claiming to be a "feminist" is just like them, and who wouldn't support equality? In essence, they still believe that "feminism" is synonymous with first-wave (original) feminism, but it isn't.

If you don't give them the benefit of the doubt (and you often shouldn't), it is because they are disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst. Second-wave feminism bred radicalism and advocated for destroying institutions that it saw as supporting the "patriarchy," but, ironically, the "second wave" just co-opted the supposed "patriarchy" by swarming academia, the media, and politics. Despite their success actually proving much of their claims were bogus, they used their power to continue pushing radicalism and claiming oppression from Ivy League schools, major media platforms, and so on. That gave rise to the third-wave of feminism, which started in a privileged position, retained the radicalism, and then decided the privileged third-wavers were still being oppressed somehow.

It is usually simple to tell a naive "casual feminist" from a disingenuous third-waver. The former will not know any of the jargon commonly found in "gender studies" departments and will discuss feminism in only very broad strokes w/ no deeper knowledge of the subject. A third-wave feminist will discuss things like intersectionality, male privilege, will often gripe about anyone advocating for anything other than a female-only perspective, and will have a signature smugness that is hard to miss. The third-wavers typically will also advocate for other radical ideologies that were all born out of the same cultural Marxism of the 1960s (gender theory, critical race theory, queer theory, &c.). Now, you should not assume that they all have academic credentials because most do not, and these supposed "experts" learn their talking points from tumblr, wikipedia, twitter, and similar "sources." Accordingly, when asked about things they cannot explain away, they will smugly fall back on the No True Scotsman while demanding nebulous evidence of something knowing they will dismiss anything and everything anyway as "irrelevant" or "lies."

Marvel actually has a lot of what pejoratively are known as "social justice warriors," who apply the same nonsense to gender, race, sexual orientation, and whatever else. They openly push things like gender-bending, race-bending, sexual orientation-bending, and so on. They demand "diversity for diversity's sake" in contravention of the free market, and they assume anyone who disagrees is racist, sexist, homophobic, and whatever else, which is just a way of bullying people into being quiet.

The She-Thor nonsense is a classic example. People rightfully point out continuity errors, plot holes, and question the reasoning behind using an established brand to push nonsense about "needing more female characters" without, y'know, creating more female characters. You end up with She-Thor, black Latino Spider-Man, Muslim Ms. Marvel, black Captain America, and so on. Why? Because they indeed have an agenda about being "diverse" and showing that "<insert identity> can be heroes too." It would be too much work and too financially risky to create new characters that the market may not support, so they shoehorn it all into established brands.

The real kicker is that they will often rabidly deny the sociopolitical ideology motivating it all, but the powers that be give it away every time by using the buzzwords, speaking about the need for more diversity even if it doesn't represent the actual audience demographics, and so on. They count on casual ideologues to believe shallow excuses about "changing demographics," or "little Sally in Chicago wrote us a letter asking why none of the heroes are trans, gay, and African-American like her, so we're making Wolverine into a trans, gay, African-American woman." That is the only way they can push their ideology of unrepresentative and forced "diversity" in the name of pushing sociopolitical ideology in the real world. In essence, it is all propaganda meant to trick the audience into thinking a certain way, and, if you pay even a little attention, the dog whistles are there for the real ideologues drooling for such things.

Some normal fans get the above, which is why they question it when their beloved icons are suddenly changed for no reason other than checking off boxes for identity politics. Would people care if Marvel had a new black superhero? No, not at all. Do people care that they use Spider-Man and Captain America as vehicles to push black superheroes for ideological reasons? Yes. Would people care if Marvel wanted a new book about a female Asgardian? No. Do people care about an inconsistent story fabricated just to have She-Thor? Yes. Those who get it know it isn't because them being racist, sexist, or whatever else. They'd probably stand in line for any new books about such new characters, but they want what they already love to be left alone. Those who don't get it are either blinded by their ideology, or they only pretend to not get it because it suits what they want.

tl;dr: Content creators, stop being so lazy. If you think there needs to be more <insert identity here> and there is a market for it, then create the new characters. Many, if not most or all, of the people opposing your current lazy, ideological nonsense would probably give the new characters a chance. Stop using beloved icons for your hack attempts to push your beliefs on others. Recognize that not all of your fans care about your political ideology, and many actually disagree with it strongly. They don't look to Marvel for lectures on social justice or politics. They want awesome superheroes fighting awesome villains in amazing stories with fantastic artwork. That's what they grew up with, not this current nonsense.

/rant

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It would be way too obvious for her to be Roz. It's probably a trick.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@thor_is_thor: Legitametly good points, but still generalitzation at its best in many parts.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By antithetical

Or maybe that's the idea, lead everyone on about how "obvious" it is and thinking there's going to be a classic "bait and switch" at the end, only to roll out obvious Roz and point out how obvious it's been since the very beginning.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@antithetical said:
@knightsofdarkness2 said:

Or maybe that's the idea, lead everyone on about how "obvious" it is and thinking there's going to be a classic "bait and switch" at the end, only to roll out obvious Roz and point out how obvious it's been since the very beginning.

Possible but I think that won't really work since several people still think she's Roz. It'll make make more sense and be way better if it was a different character but one that also has some obvious connections to the current Thor.

But they can still feature Roz in some shape or form.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical said:
@knightsofdarkness2 said:

Possible but I think that won't really work since several people still think she's Roz. It'll make make more sense and be way better if it was a different character but one that also has some obvious connections to the current Thor.

But they can still feature Roz in some shape or form.

I definitely agree it'd be way better for it to be someone other than Roz, but who still has connections to Thor, Jane being a prime example.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

That actually looks like it'll be a badass battle but the feminism is just too strong in seeing Odinson and a legion or other females taking down The Destroyer. I'm not sure why they would all agree to help anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@g_man: I've felt from the beginning that Roz and Jane were too obvious, especially since everyone and their mom says so.

My pick: Luna Maximoff. She's done some growing in years past, has a connection to the Inhumans (They're so hot right now) and Quicksilver (who's been surrounded in controversy these days) I know she'd been hanging around her dad in the latest X-Factor run, but imagine she might've been present on the Moon during Thor's unworthy descent. Something about New Thor's demeanor seems more youthful to me too, and the hammer might enhance her physical form so she appears more mature along with the addition of the Asgardian tongue.

Just a thought....that most will disagree with, but all this focus on Roz and Jane smells like misdirection to me. Fantomex must be hanging around the Marvel office ;)

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: 'Feminism is too strong'? And why wouldn't they agree to help? They all know and trust Odinson, they're all heroes (or at least I think they are. I'm not sure about the lady with the green magic), if he comes around saying that the new Thor needs their help, I see no reason why they wouldn't help. And besides, it's all ladies because Odinson used his candidate list for the identity of the new Thor as a list of the people he was going to call for help.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: Yes, the feminism is quite strong. Especially with Freya's comment, considering the All-Mother no longer exists. And I can think of no reason any hero other than Thor would willingly go get slaughtered by the Destroyer. This entire story so far has been about elevating the female over the male. Thor over Odinson, Freyja over Odin.

Odinson wasn't limited to that list. He could have called anyone he wanted to. Why not contact Beta Ray Bill or Hercules as well? Its all women because Jason Aaron want to show them taking on the Destroyer.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I think you're possibly misunderstanding feminism, but never mind. And please. Most of these heroes have taken on worse than the Destroyer, things that could just as easily kill them. To take Captain Marvel as a single example, she took on an entire alien battlefleet all by herself (she didn't beat them, but she did slow them down). In other words, impossible odds is every day for them.

Not quite. Odinson's got a different personal journey - whatever he heard made him unworthy (and as of the end of Time Runs Out, he's worthy again), and really, he's been wrestling with the worthiness concept throughout Aaron's run. As for Odin, well, Odin has always been a bit of a bastard, to one extent or another. That said, you can understand his actions if you look at it from his point of view: his son has given up his very name after losing his hammer, which now refuses to respond to anyone, even Odin himself, until some young woman picks it up and claims the name of Thor for herself (albeit with Odinson's blessing).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: It is clear that feminism is Jason Aaron's goal here. It was even mentioned in issue #5. An alien fleet isn't much to the destroyer. Other heroes have successfully done that before. And why would they be willing to die to help out some lady they don't even know? This isn't their fight, and no one is in danger besides Female Thor.

Thor didn't wrestle with unworthiness at all before this series that I remember. I understand everything Odin has done, and I very much enjoy seeing him and Cul again, but Freyja's actions and attitude are out of line. She is entirely anti-Odin at this point and he hasn't really done anything to deserve that from his wife. And then there's the All-Mother thing. It was fine when Odin was gone, but the fact that she thinks she can overrule Odin, one of the most powerful beings in the universe, is ridiculous.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I wasn't suggesting that an alien fleet was equivalent to the Destroyer. I was pointing out that these women have all faced down impossible odds before, without blinking. 'Why would they be willing to die to help out some lady they don't even know?' Because that's quite literally what heroes do.

In the God of Thunder run, he worried about worthiness - Gorr calls him his favourite Thor because he's the Thor who doubts, the one who wonders if there isn't some merit to Gorr's argument that Gods are at best useless, at worst malign,and that the universe is better off without them. At the end of the Roxxon arc, he unhappily notes that when Asgard came to Broxton, it was alive, a happy town. When it got caught in the power struggle between Thor and Roxxon's CEO, it got levelled.

She was ruling Asgard in his absence and Odin is acting irrationally, if understandably. She has every reason to believe that she should be able to overrule him, since he's not ruling very well at all (and seriously, unleashing a guy who happens to be the God of Fear in the Destroyer armour on the world is not a sign of good rule).

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324 said:

@nate-grey: It is clear that feminism is Jason Aaron's goal here. It was even mentioned in issue #5. An alien fleet isn't much to the destroyer. Other heroes have successfully done that before. And why would they be willing to die to help out some lady they don't even know? This isn't their fight, and no one is in danger besides Female Thor.

Thor didn't wrestle with unworthiness at all before this series that I remember. I understand everything Odin has done, and I very much enjoy seeing him and Cul again, but Freyja's actions and attitude are out of line. She is entirely anti-Odin at this point and he hasn't really done anything to deserve that from his wife. And then there's the All-Mother thing. It was fine when Odin was gone, but the fact that she thinks she can overrule Odin, one of the most powerful beings in the universe, is ridiculous.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: I would not call that him struggling with worthiness. He's just sad at the damage he causes those around him. He's not questioning if he is worthy of Mjolnir. Gorr is talking about all gods being worthless, not Thor being unworthy.

There's a difference between the regular things heroes do and answering a call from Odinson to save Female Thor from the Destroyer. Especially since Thor only called them to help him figure out who she is.

She ruled Asgardia. Odin is the All-Father of Asgard. Odin has been ruling for thousands of years successfully and will do whatever it takes to protect his people, including fighting Surtur to the death and standing up to Galactus. I don't think anyone can claim Odin isn't a great ruler. What's going on with him and Female Thor and quite personal and has nothing to do with ruling Asgard. He is vastly more powerful than her and the only reason she ruler at all was because he went away. If anything, Thor should have ruled in his place since he's next up in the Asgardian royal family. Simply put, it is not her place, or anyone else's, to go against or question Odin.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: The narration specifically says that he's wondering about worthiness at the end of the God Butcher arc (and that that was what made him worthy).

And yes, he originally only called on them to find out who it was, and he called them because he felt that they might be worthy, and being worthy (or at least, being in that ballpark) means being willing to do things like that.

There's no doubt that Odin has done many awesome things and that on balance, he is a good ruler who will do anything for his people. It's just that he's been away for a long time, in the company of someone who is, to put no finer point on it, evil, and he comes back, focusing Asgardia's resources on finding female Thor - and Odinson, lest it be forgotten, is Freya's adopted son. So it's just as much her concern as his. Also, Odin specifically nominated the three goddesses of the All-Mother to rule and, since he wasn't dead (and let's face it, Thor isn't particularly inclined to the kingship, nor has he been a stunning success when he has been King, such as during the Reigning and Straczynski's run), Freya had a good claim to the regency.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: I do not remember that but I will take your word for it.

I was talking more about Odin and Mjolnir, not Odinson so much. Thor has been unworthy before, but it is Odin not being able to lift Mjolnir that has really pissed him off so much, as well as Female Thor being able to lift it when he can't. That's the hammer that he had made and that he enchanted, so it's very personal to him.

True, Odin picked them, and Thor has never really given a care about being king, but Odin is back now, and it is no ones place to go against him. Least of all his wife, who should be supporting him rather than supporting female Thor, who she does not even know. I don't think Odin's actions have been all that bad or a waste of resources really. He tried to use his own power to find her identity, and asked Heimdall (who refused to tell him for a dumb reason). None of that is a waste of resources, and neither is using the Destroyer and Cul. Nothing that he's done so far has affected any other Asgardian yet, besides him using some people to try to find out who she is. Unless I'm missing something.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Nate-Grey

@jayc1324: Yes, he is angry, but the entire point of Thor originally being unworthy was that he needed to learn control and restraint, to understand that personal concerns do not always come first. Perhaps Odin needs to relearn those lessons himself.

His wife should advise him, which she's been trying to do. He's been refusing to listen.

I repeat: he's let Cul, God of Fear, man who has previously destroyed the Earth (before he was locked away) and killed Odinson, pilot the Destroyer when it is clear as day that Cul is still evil (guy's practically twirling his moustaches) and go after a woman who just happened to prove Worthy. That is both a phenomenally bad idea and a waste of both time and Asgard's most dangerous weapon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: Like you said, Odin has always been a bit of a bastard. He's not a nice guy. This isn't a showing of bad leadership though. Its a bad idea, but has so far not hurt anyone besides Female Thor. And it can he partfully justified in the fact that he's trying to get back his property. Mjolnir, if not in the hands of Thor, should be in that room with all of the other weapons, not stolen by some random woman.

Cul is also Odin's brother. He is the God of Fear, so of course he is still evil, but Loki has caused the destruction or Asgard before during the time Balder was king of Asgard and he is still family and is still welcome in Asgard sometimes. Don't forget that Thor took over earth before too, and killed many heroes. They've all done some pretty evil stuff.

I agree that Odin should relearn those lessons, but that's just not who he is. Bringing Cul back will likely backfire in some way, but Freyja certainly isn't helping the situation by going against Odin.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: So far being the operative phrase. And it's not stolen. It can only be lifted by the Worthy, something Odin himself stipulated.

Loki was not particularly welcome, but got away with it because everyone thought that Ragnarok had been and gone and thus so had the reason for Loki's villainy. Yes, the Reigning, which future Thor then averted by making sure his younger self never took that path and that it became an alternate universe. Cul, however, has never shown any sign of being anything but a monster.

You say isn't helping, I say, has seen it coming a mile off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: I'm sure Odin considers it stolen. It is technically not her hammer, whether Odinson and Odin are worthy of it or not.

Good point about Cul, but he is still family and maybe Odin has seen something in him during their time together. I've seen nothing malicious from him so far. He is just doing what Odin says.

This is the last issue until after secret wars anyway so we probably won't be seeing cul do much of anything anyway, sadly. I'd rather Odin not be the villain in this story

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Nate-Grey

@jayc1324: He probably does at that, though Thor has repeatedly stated that he's happy with her wielding it.

The implication in the Original Sin Thor & Loki story is that they were silent pretty much the whole time, playing a game of chess which symbolised Odin keeping Cul imprisoned. You mean aside from advocating torture for people who fail in finding out the identity of the new Thor?

I don't think Odin's the villain, conventionally speaking, he's just in need of a reality check. He's more of what tv tropes calls a 'Hero Antagonist'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nate-grey: He's fine with it, not exactly happy. He spent time getting drunk in a bar and threw a fit on the moon in issue #6. He's quite upset at all of this, he just knows that she won't misuse Mjolnir.

Advocating torture.. Malicious, sure. But it is for Odin's purposes. Odin isn't much better, by letting Cul use the Destroyer armor to beat up female Thor, which was just overkill.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: He's unhappy about losing Mjolnir.

Oh, definitely, though he does baulk at torture.

badazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think anyone cares because thor was never a woman marvel has litterally in all sense of humor lost there heads they did not even create thor guys he was always a nordic man what are they thinking

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@cgoodness: I'm sorry... did I hear Secret Wars was the end of the pr stunt? Cause that's all it is.

Nate-Grey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers