Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Press Release

No Caption Provided

Ardden Entertainment announces the publication of a groundbreaking new comic book series – Mixtape – which will be released in February 2012. Each Mixtape issue is based on a song of the 90s, and is told from the point of view of one of the five main teenage characters. The lyrics inspire the story that unfolds and the first arc features: “Where Is My Mind?” by The Pixies, “Hold My Life” by The Replacements, “Happy When It Rains” by The Jesus and Mary Chain, “I’m An Adult Now” by The Pursuit of Happiness, “Every Day Is Like Sunday” by The Smiths and “Bed Of Roses” by The Screaming Trees.

Mixtape tells the story of the rise (and fall) of the Alternative Rock era of the 1990s as witnessed by five music-obsessed teens. Struggling through the pains of growing up, and united by their love of the music found “left of the dial”, Jim (the rebel), Terry (the geek), Noel (the prep), Lorelei (the bohemian), and Siobhan (the teen queen) move from high school into college life just as the music of Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, R.E.M., Pearl Jam and Sonic Youth erupt from the underground and conquer the mainstream. They learn that the bond of friendship they thought would never break have already begun to crack, and the music they thought they'd love forever has already started to fade. They discover that everyone’s life, even theirs, has a soundtrack that will always be with them even as those songs and friendships fade.

Writer and creator Brad Abraham comments, "Ever since I discovered a box of old mix-tapes dating back to my high school years, I’ve wanted to tell a story about music. Having been a comics reader all my life, I knew that medium was be the best way to tell this story. These characters are ordinary teens -- they don’t have super-powers, they don’t date vampires or battle zombies -- but the world they inhabit is as alien to us now as the Summer of Love would have been to them. The recent passing of several friends from high school, made me want to take a look back at the music and culture of this era.”

Mixtape is the brainchild and debut comic book from Brad Abraham (Writer/Creator), whose previous work includes the hit films Stonehenge Apocalypse and Robocop: Prime Directives. He has also been a long-time contributor to Rue Morgue Magazine and Fangoria.

Jok (Pencils, Inks, Cover) is a founding member of La Productura, the Argentine comics collective. His wide range of work includes Ardden’s acclaimed Flash Gordon series, Strangeways, Redball 6, Vengeance of the Vapor.

Gervasio (Pencils) work includes The Magic If, Strangeways, and is writer-artist of Freud’s Covenant. Along with Jok, he is a member of Estudio Haus, the multi-talent studio specializing in comics, color and illustration.

Ardden Entertainment LLC, (www.ardden-entertainment.com) the publisher of Flash Gordon and the Atlas Comics revival among others, was formed in 2008 by former Miramax and Dimension Films executive Brendan Deneen and former AP Comics owner Richard Emms.

For further information, please visit www.facebook.com/mixtapecomic

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp

Rock? I like the idea, but... Huh... I'll wait to see.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

This sounds cool, it makes me all nostalgic