• 81 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps the return of DC's Swamp Thing prompted Marvel to give the spotlight to one of their classic, "Silver Age" characters, Man-Thing. Or maybe it just seemed like the right time. Whatever the case may be, Man-Thing is back and he's returning in his very own ongoing series from Marvel starting this July. Last time we saw him, Man-Thing was going, well, mad during Fear Itself and as a result begins to kill innocent civilians. Although Man-Thing was eventually cured of going on this "rampage," we haven't seen a whole lot of him until now. INFERNAL MAN-THING #1 will be written by Kevin Nowlan and feature the art of the late Steve Gerber. In this issue, Man-Thing will solve a mystery. Based on the images provided by Marvel, this comic seems like it will have a classic sort of a feel and will be keeping superheroes out of it. If this sounds interesting to you, then be sure to check it out when it hits comic stores next month. What do you think of the preview to the first issue? Is this something you are looking forward to?

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at Infernal Man-Thing #1, coming this July! From legendary creators Kevin Nowlan and the late, great Steve Gerber comes the highly-anticipated supernatural epic that’s 20 years in the making! When the Man-Thing resurfaces, it must solve the mystery of the “Screenplay of the Living Dead Man” – and it’s the only thing that can! It’s the story fans have been clamoring for and this July, Infernal Man-Thing #1hits comic shops everywhere, the Marvel Comics app and the Marvel Digital Comics Shop!

INFERNAL MAN-THING #1
Written by STEVE GERBER
Penciled by KEVIN NOWLAN
Cover by ART ADAMS
Variant Covers by GIL KANE & KEVIN NOWLAN
FOC – 6/11/12, On-Sale – 7/4/12
== TEASER ==
#1 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

this is some crappy art. hope the story is better.

#2 Posted by Billy Batson (57939 posts) - - Show Bio

Pffft that's a poor man's Swamp Thing :p
BB

#3 Edited by Pixel_Kaiser (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Those preview panels were, uh... not what I was expecting.

The art looks kind of cool though, definitely don't think it looks "crappy". Eager to see more.

#4 Posted by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe he is tripping balls

#5 Posted by noj (1080 posts) - - Show Bio

so basically Marvel saw that Swamp Thing was back to critical acclaim and now they want something to rival it? Honestly looks kinda terrible

#6 Posted by Inverno (13197 posts) - - Show Bio

That last pic reminded me of some Hulk supervillain/supporting character called Flux during the early 00's.

#7 Posted by pikahyper (11888 posts) - - Show Bio

Ballsy, definitely an attempt at getting some DCnU readers. That is a horrible preview though, Man-Thing just looks odd.

#8 Posted by Sidious (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Pass. No matter how good the story is, it wont help the eye sore that's the art.

Also, since when did Man-Thing have thought processes higher than a carrot?

#9 Posted by blindisaac (89 posts) - - Show Bio

The design of Man Thing has always disturbed me but I might give this a swing.

#10 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio
Perhaps the return of DC's Swamp Thing prompted Marvel to give the spotlight to one of their classic, "Silver Age" characters, Man-Thing.

This. 100%.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Um yea, no thanks, I'll stick with Swamp Thing

#12 Posted by wampa43 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if Man-Thing didn't look like a weird elephant man and looked more like he does on the awesome Art Adams cover, this would be cool.

#13 Posted by darkrider (444 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry marvel Swamp Thing wins

#14 Posted by GothamBat (644 posts) - - Show Bio

It will be canceled after 9 issues.

#15 Edited by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@sEsposito7 said:

Perhaps the return of DC's Swamp Thing prompted Marvel to give the spotlight to one of their classic, "Silver Age" characters, Man-Thing.

This. 100%.

When I saw this article I knew the words "prompted" "Swamp Thing" "Success" "DC" and "by" would be in it. I was only wrong about Success

#16 Posted by MonsieurShogun (34 posts) - - Show Bio

So what exactly is infernal about Man-Thing?

#17 Posted by AlKusanagi (602 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I'm the only person that likes the art style.

Looking forward to a Groot crossover.

#18 Posted by sagejonathan (1932 posts) - - Show Bio

Wish it was a different character.

#19 Posted by DDangelico (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah--I think I'll stick with our boy Snyder's Swamp Thing. :-)

#20 Posted by Teerack (5814 posts) - - Show Bio

looks as uninteresting as DC's man-thing.

#21 Posted by The Stegman (23918 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell was that?...

#22 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up with Man-Thing (I read him religiously in the 1970s) and I was hoping that Infernal Man-Thing would be a return to his glory days, but the preview leaves me feeling more hollow than filled with excitement. I love the new Swamp Thing series and it looks like Marvel is trying to cash in on its popularity. If Marvel is trying do this, please write great story-lines and hire artists that know what they're doing.

#23 Posted by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh swamp thng art looks much better

#24 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what they have to rival Swamp Thing? Sad.

#25 Posted by PowerPlug (1329 posts) - - Show Bio

Man-Thing was one of the first Marvel comics I read, so i would glady love to revisit this character, but that art is SOOOOO bland and odd. Swamp-Thing is incredable right now and this doesn't exactly look like the right way for Marvel to combat Dc's swamp creature.

#26 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does it matter if the idea came from Swamp Thing's success? Would the quality be any different if it was a spontaneous decision? Will the writer put in less effort now? But I'm sure you're all right, this will be terrible, let's not reserve judgement until we've read it, that would be crazy.

#27 Posted by devong (6 posts) - - Show Bio

like....this is laughable right? marvel really just is incredibly boring

#28 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Man-Thing... :(

#29 Posted by RipperMadrox (7 posts) - - Show Bio

It's unreleased Steve Gerber work. That alone deserves a huge release. Gerber was a genius, years ahead of his time, and the chance to read new work from one of my favorite creators is a huge deal for me.

And, yes, Man-Thing is clearly a rip-off of Swamp Thing. Which, is an amazing feat considering he debuted 2 months earlier than Swamp Thing. And that both are based on The Heap from the 40s. LOL. I'm honestly not even 100% sure that The New 52 Swamp Thing's success has any baring on the release of this, as I remember hearing about this months ago, but who knows, maybe.

Hopefully Marvel can also find some unreleased Bill Mantlo work next.

#30 Posted by Mediumflyer7 (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it me or does anyone else think Marvel got a slight bit jealous of DCs success with Swamp Thing

#31 Edited by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

It made me laugh =).

I will get it.

#32 Posted by EnlloLeal (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@RipperMadrox: Yea, Kevin Nowlan announced this a few months ago.

http://kevinnowlan.blogspot.com/2012/03/finally-man-thing-graphic-novel.html

And it looks like he has been working on this since the 80's.

What are your current projects?

I just did a Goon story for the black and white series that Dark Horse is publishing. I’ve done a few covers for DC and a Red Sonja cover for Dynamite. I just did an illustration for MAD magazine that’s in the current issue. I’m working on an old Man-Thing graphic novel that I started in the 80’s. I’m going to see if I can finish painting the last dozen pages so the thing can finally get published.

http://www.de-code.net/interviste_scheda.asp?id=15&ver=1

#33 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Man-Thing in Thunderbolts, he was adorable, had the thought processing ability of a rock, and still somehow managed to be smarter than half the team. The fact that he would always just sit there and take the beating and then come to the team's rescue when they needed it was funny to me, and I liked the idea of using him as a transport and everyone on the team just being okay with it and finding the reactions of outsiders funny, meanwhile everyone else on the team is all "yeah, this is what we do. What, you don't do this?"

I'll give it a shot, cause I like the character. But, the art is already eh, so not a great start.

#34 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

haha Man-thing got nothing on Swampthing! ;p just sayin'

#35 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

haven't read the rest of the topic but this isn't an ongoing.

it's a 3 issue miniseries written by man-thing's main writer gerber before he died.

#36 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, read the rest of the topic now.

This still isn't an ongoing.

#37 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

I know little to nothing about Man-Thing... but color me interested! Makes me think of a very "Creepy Looney Tunes".

#38 Posted by DJ1107 (244 posts) - - Show Bio

And the award for the most WTF preview goes to.........

Honestly I'm happy to see another character in Marvel thats not Wolverine get a ongoing albeit will probably get cancelled in the future

#39 Posted by longbowhunter (7046 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this looks pretty good. I've never read any of Gerber's Man-Thing work. I'd like to start with the earlier stuff.

#40 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been loving Man-Thing in Thunderbolts (which is where he's been, Sara :P) but this just looks terrible. Kev Walker's rendition looks so much cooler:

#41 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it sounded Interesting...until I saw the art. Man, that is horrible art...

#42 Posted by darque26 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless, Howard the Duck is the supporting character in this book, then I'm in ;)

#43 Posted by The Mast (786 posts) - - Show Bio

So, Avengers Academy isn't selling what it should be and might get cancelled (So I hear), but they'll put our Man-Thing? Ok.

That's fine.

#44 Posted by Dragonage2ftw (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Will buy. I'll also vomit after overexposure to this atrocious art.

#45 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Art looks alright to me, but yeah, Swamp Thing for Marvelites, nothing more. And just how did an anvil get flung into a swamp all of a sudden to hit him?! O_o And why does Man-Thing resemble an Ithorian?!

#46 Posted by jonnystorm777 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the man thing in the thunderbolts. He is just misunderstood.

#47 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks really bad. Really, really bad.

#48 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it wrong that I find man thing slightly cute?

#49 Posted by lykopis (10752 posts) - - Show Bio

If its a mini-series, I'll pick it up. If it's ongoing, then nope.

#50 Posted by ironshadow (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Or you could pick up the first story arc and then if don't like it drop it