• 108 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

This February Marvel will be bringing an all-female team to the forefront in the upcoming title FEARLESS DEFENDERS as part of their Marvel NOW! initiative. The new series will be written by Cullen Bunn and penciled by artist Will Sliney who is new to Marvel Comics. The series will not only be centered around an all-female cast of heroines, but it will also feature a brand new female villain who will be giving these ladies plenty of grief.

The cover to the new series' first issue feature Misty Knight and Valkyrie, back to back in a fight against what appears to be The Hand and on the other looks like undead Asgardians. According to Bunn, this series was not birthed from the idea that there is a lack of female-centric superhero books at Marvel, but from the fact that this was an opportunity to tell "some really good stories."

This is an idea that I came up with when I was working on Fear Itself: The Fearless. I was probably writing the sixth issue or so when this dawned on me. I came up with the idea that Valkyrie might have to replace the Valkyrior with women from the Marvel Universe, and when that idea dawned on me, I did not approach it as, "This is my opportunity to tell a story with an all-female team." I approached it as, "This is a great opportunity to tell some really cool stories, some things that I think would be exciting."

The book will center around Misty Knight and Valyrie who will act as co-leaders of the new team. This should be interesting because, as you know, these are two remarkably different characters who think and work very differently. On the one hand, Valkyrie is this Asgardian Goddess who has tremendous power, and on the other we have a street-level character like Misty Knight. Both characters have very different strengths and weaknesses, and both have very different perspectives. This might make for quite the collaboration. Other characters that are set to appear in this title are characters include Dani Moonstar.

It seems this will be a very different kind of series, so what do you think? Are you looking forward to the series? Is this a book you think you might add to your monthly pull list? FEARLESS DEFENDERS launches this coming February, 2013.

Source: Newsarama

#1 Posted by The_Soverighn (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

good

#2 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so cool with this.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#4 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (511 posts) - - Show Bio

I quite enjoyed The Fearless and have grown to really love Valkyrie and Misty Knight to a smaller degree. So, I am so on board with this book. Dani Moonstar is meh, I could never get into liking her. Maybe I just don't/didn't like New Mutants that much. Wonder who will make up the rest of the roster.

#5 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

I might actually get this the cover is awesome heard a rumour the wasp was going to be in this.

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (56933 posts) - - Show Bio
According to Bunn, this series was not birthed from the idea that there is a lack of female-centric superhero books at Marvel, but from the fact that this was an opportunity to tell "some really good stories."

LOL, yeah right.
BB

#7 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

In other words, this is a T&A book. Yeah, no thanks.

#8 Posted by kennybaese (1003 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh. Gail Simone was talking on Twitter yesterday about how awesome a Marvel Bird of Prey book could be and this seems to essentially be that. Or it could be, anyway.

The name is incredibly cheesy, though.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:

What?
#10 Posted by Joygirl (15368 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the idea but can't muster up an ounce of care for either of those characters.

#11 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

According to Bunn, this series was not birthed from the idea that there is a lack of female-centric superhero books at Marvel, but from the fact that this was an opportunity to tell "some really good stories."

LOL, yeah right.
BB

Hey, I'm just quoting the man. I'm not saying I believe it either.

#12 Posted by andrewbullheaded (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Cullen Bunn writing everything at marvel ?

#13 Posted by VeganDiet (827 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know. Cullen Bunn hasn't really impressed me much. I mean he's not bad or anything, just nothig has really clicked with me super well. How has his stint on Venom been so far?

#14 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

well at least Marvel is using all their interesting characters in comic series with good potential while dropping everything thats wack - thats what i love about Marvel NOW, hopefully the read will be good too

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (56933 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs said:

@Billy Batson said:

LOL, yeah right.
BB

Hey, I'm just quoting the man. I'm not saying I believe it either.

Well...yeah. It's an official statement, why would I laugh you at you?
I'm laughing because if he has to say the lack of female-centric books either way, it's because of it.
BB

#16 Posted by TheMtVernonKid82 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is great Valkyrie and Misty Knight two characters I love. Always said Misty Knight is so underrated and needs more spotlight on here.

#17 Posted by rowdyprimate (1 posts) - - Show Bio

It sounds like a cool idea, however the way they are posed with their shapely buttocks pressed against each other makes me wonder what we're actually going to get.

#18 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2511 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down for this title for the couple first issues at least

#19 Posted by darkrider (421 posts) - - Show Bio

i will get this but birds of prey is still the best female team

#20 Posted by starrk_coyote (609 posts) - - Show Bio

this could work, IF done right :) but i am down with that :)

#21 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMtVernonKid82 said:

Now this is great Valkyrie and Misty Knight two characters I love. Always said Misty Knight is so underrated and needs more spotlight on here.

Exactly.

I love both these characters and now that the New Mutants are gone, maybe I can get back my Dani that used to be so kick@ss awesome (I know just as a cameo, but still).

Asgardian Warrior Goddess and Street-Smart No-Nonsense Fighter? I have to admit, I like the pair up.

I will keep my hopes up high for this because I'll still feel the same disappointment if they fail anyway. Also, bringing in an all new female villain is makes it worth it just on its own.

#22 Posted by ogg927 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

That cover is awesome! Marvel is really trying to have more female characters as a lot of girls/women felt under represented. I'm all on board with this. This could be similar to DC's Birds of Prey and rotate in lessor known characters. I hope that Collen Wing, Songbird, Firestar and other women show up. XD

#23 Posted by CookieVonDoom (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkyrie kicks ass and the book sounds like fun, however, I'm not too fond of the name.

#24 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (884 posts) - - Show Bio

please bring Hellcat, please bring Hellcat, please bring Hellcat, please bring hellcat...please please please

#25 Posted by ahgunsillyo (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, are you telling me that Valkyrie is actually from Skyrim?

This is an Iron Axe from Skyrim.
#26 Posted by Fudgie29 (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty cool.

#27 Posted by krspaceT (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Marvel Now read my blog and give a girl series?

#28 Posted by Mucklefluga (2434 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool characters, dodgy writer

#29 Edited by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like Marvel's version of Worlds Finest.

I already smell a battle in the forums:

Powergirl and Huntress vs. Valkyrie and Misty Knight

#30 Edited by TomHunter (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I am good with the concept BUT! Why are they using the name DEFENDERS again?? There hasn't been a successful Defenders title since the original. And with the most recent version just ending, I'm not sure this is the best title for the book.

That said, the concept itself sound great. Kind of a more powered up version of BOP.

How far out of the loop am I, though. Didn't Misty used to have a skin like covering over her bionic arm???

#31 Posted by wisesonAC (160 posts) - - Show Bio

this looks pretty good. ill mos def pick it up. always wanted to read some more misty;here's hoping for a good book.

#32 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

MISTY KNIGHT!!!!!! Love this, so every arc is going to feature Misty and Val teaming up with a lady hero? Whatever it has Misty thus I am buying.

#33 Posted by Veitha (2320 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#34 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123: Is this your opinion of Birds of Prey as well?

#35 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@starrk_coyote said:

this could work, IF done right :) but i am down with that :)

Yeah, I hope this doesn't turn out like a Marvel version of Worlds' Finest. :S

#36 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be cool. The Fearless mini was pretty enjoyable. Dani Moonstar being the third member is intriguing.

#37 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1501 posts) - - Show Bio

I am beyond excited for this book! But here's something I need to stress.

If you want this book? PRE-ORDER IT!!! When you head into your Comic Book Shop next Wed, tell them that you want this book! It is a good way to tell Marvel that you want books like this, and that it can last long!

Seriously! PRE-ORDER THIS BOOK! Buying is good, but pre-ordering tells Marvel that you want this book!

#38 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure all seven issues before cancellation will be neat.

#39 Edited by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

So probably Colleen Wing, Firestar, one of the She-Hulks and either Hellcat or Tigra to fill out the rest of the team. They are going to need to seriously bring it in the story department if they don't want this to get cancelled.

#40 Posted by That60sGuy (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@kennyshat said:

The name is incredibly cheesy, though.

They should have just called it Fearless. Much better.

#41 Posted by sora_thekey (8107 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll read the first issue... If it doesn't do a good job at catching my attention then the "drop pile" it is.

#42 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123 said:

I don't know where you get that impression, if you Google Sliney's art, he's not a cheesecake artist

#43 Edited by AlKusanagi (550 posts) - - Show Bio

No Dani Moonstar? I am disappoint.

edit: I swear she wasn't mentioned the first time I read the article. Either way, she should be one of the title characters since she's kind of a big deal as far as the Valkyr are concerned.

#44 Edited by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

@TomHunter said:

I am good with the concept BUT! Why are they using the name DEFENDERS again?? There hasn't been a successful Defenders title since the original. And with the most recent version just ending, I'm not sure this is the best title for the book.

Agreed. It's like the "New Avengers" comic book coming out. Why not just call it Illuminati?

#45 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

Right on.

#46 Posted by Dernman (14010 posts) - - Show Bio
@AlKusanagi said:

No Dani Moonstar? I am disappoint.

The article said she will be in the book. O__o
#47 Posted by karrob (4267 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a winner to me.

#48 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5006 posts) - - Show Bio

kewl

#49 Posted by Timotheus316 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I will read it and see how it goes. If he can stay on target it will be a good read. Writer's name isn't familiar.

#50 Posted by iceman228433 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about time Marvel.