• 98 results
Posted by G-Man (30657 posts) - - Show Bio

What happens when a villain becomes really cool or really liked? He becomes a hero. In some cases it works. Emma Frost has added a lot to X-Men stories (and Cyclops' love life). Magneto has always been on the fence. He was never truly a villain with his thinking but his tendency to take extreme action gave him the label of being a villain.

Recently in the pages of X-Men, when talking to the X-Men's PR person, the topic of Magneto's acceptance by the public was called into question. Looks like his fight in trying to appear to be a hero is over.

Written by Skottie Young with art by Clay Mann, the answer will be clear. Magneto: Not a Hero is a four issue limited series coming in November. Whether or not this will take place in current X-Men continuity remains to be seen. If it does, the X-Men will have some explaining to do to the world.

Staff
#1 Posted by jotadex (17 posts) - - Show Bio

here we go again...

#2 Posted by IrishX (2323 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet. Will be getting this for sure.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting! I guess bumping uglies with Rogue wasn't enough to keep him on the side of good.

#4 Posted by Chaos Burn (1773 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by FNspiderdan (38 posts) - - Show Bio

my favorite teaser this month

#6 Posted by CanucksXVX (53 posts) - - Show Bio

deffinetly be getting this
#7 Posted by longbowhunter (6791 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a matter of time.
#8 Posted by SleepyDrug (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone shocked? 

It is one thing to cross the hero-villain divide by throwing a few punches or some pointless property damage.  But when a character consistently performs the most viscious crimes it is not believable that they have changed. 

Wonder Man, as leader of the Revengers, is anger...not evil.  Magneto, all drapings of mutant heroism aside, is perfectly happy to commit genocide, use nukes, or commit mass murder to achieve his goals.  This is why I think Wonder Man or the Scarlet Witch can return to the side of the angels once more, while I will never stop waiting for Emma Frost to show her true colors again.
#9 Posted by G-Man (30657 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm super excited that Skottie Young is WRITING this. I can't wait.

Staff
#10 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we gonna get a lot of villain miniseries this fall from Marvel?

#11 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw, that's a shame. I like Magneto better as a hero. I agree with the other guy who said Emma should go back to being a bad girl, because she is.

#12 Posted by gui22 (383 posts) - - Show Bio
@jotadex said:
here we go again...
#13 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
Don't know. It say not a hero. It doesn't say villain. Just thought I'd put that out there, since, for the reason mentioned above, he seems to be staying with the X Men for a while.
#14 Posted by MrMazz (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

this is truly a shocking revelation its not like he hasn't been a badsdie for most of his existence

#15 Posted by RalfvdH (648 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

writing?  now I'm curious....

Magneto back to be a villain... well thats an surprise ... Somebody probably pushed his buttons again, which are the size of Mount Everest...
#16 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:
@TheMess1428 said:
Don't know. It say not a hero. It doesn't say villain. Just thought I'd put that out there, since, for the reason mentioned above, he seems to be staying with the X Men for a while.
Well the reason I asked is because of the Dr. Doom miniseries thats hitting at the same time.
#17 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto series haven't let me down in the past so I'll put this on the list. 

@G-Man said:

That and this.
#18 Posted by 00MirageKnight00 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Marvel needs some new characters instead of milking old ones and actually give them good storys an push em into the Marvel U

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428 said:
@ReVamp said:
@TheMess1428 said:
Well the reason I asked is because of the Dr. Doom miniseries thats hitting at the same time.
Ha. True. Well, I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just holding on to a shred of hope.
#20 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto is a villain again? 
Oh well, he hates humanity...
#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12570 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto.....not a hero? 

oh wait........silly me, He's NEVER been a hero lol.

#22 Posted by SpidermanWins (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

I'M SO GETTING THIS... but I did always want him to be a hero. He's better as a villain though. He's too iconic of a villain to stay a hero though and that's why this was an inevitibale end to the short-lived peace.
#23 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12570 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one thing if Magneto goes back to being the action-taking human suppressor, but I question who would follow him should he turn.

#25 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8897 posts) - - Show Bio

I actaully liked Magneto playing hero. But I still like him as a villain also

#26 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12570 posts) - - Show Bio
@haydenclaireheroes said:
I actaully liked Magneto playing hero. But I still like him as a villain also
operative word being playing
#27 Posted by Iron_Lad (315 posts) - - Show Bio

I just noticed all those dead bodies Magneto's standing over. His days as an X-man are over.

#28 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad we cleared that up...? lol

#29 Posted by G-Man (30657 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Didn't he save a puppy once?

Staff
#30 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope he doesn't turn villain again.  I like Magneto as an X-man more than a villain. 

As a villain, all of his appearances were just "THIS again?  Really?"

#31 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless that means he and post-Schism Scott are getting a badass ongoing where they own idiots, meh.

#32 Posted by IrishX (2323 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: I know I'm really happy he brought Kitty back. That was a little heroic....
#33 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who knows anything of Max Eisenhardt knows he has pretty much always walked the fine line. This does not surprise me at all.  But yes if it fits to current continuity I'd like to see what the explanation would be.

#34 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2193 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I only think he was a member of the X-Men due to circumstance and the fact that everything that Cyclops has done since M-Day has pushed him further and further down the path of Magneto-dom.  So, Magneto only hopped on the train because Cyclops was acting how he would act, and actually had support from the X-Men and remaining Brotherhood mutants, for the most part.

Magneto's long time goal of uniting both premiere mutant teams had been accomplished by Cyclops, so he sat on the side.  With Cyclops apparently out of the way post-Schism, it's doubtful either Emma or Logan will act in a manner that Magneto agrees with, so him going back to doing what he does best wouldn't surprise me.

#35 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Because heaven forbid a villain actually turns good and stays that way! This trend of evil-then-good-then-evil etc, etc. is really annoying!

#36 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

It feels almost like Marvel is going through a massive revamping of their titles at the same time DC is rebooting and revamping all their titles (officially).
I like the fact that Magneto can go back and forth from being an enemy of the X-Men and the world, to being the leader of the X-men.  Its very cool.

#37 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that's an awesome Marvel teaser. I knew it was only a matter of time until this happened

#38 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Magneto has always been my hero.  I hope Skottie does a good job on the story.

#39 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

how many times has marvel done this? 

#40 Edited by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a clone!  Wait.  Maybe it's his long lost twin!  Magneto has a brain tumor that's making him do aggressive things!  Two brain tumors!  Mind control!  Someone in a disguise, discrediting his good name! It will turn out to be a dream, alternate reality or TV movie.  It's actually a story from his past.  Magneto is actually doing good, but is misunderstood once more, and people (not even Oprah), just won't listen!  It was all a danger room exercise!  The American debt issues have pushed him over the edge!  Everyone he attacked was actually a Scrull! A rotten hamburger has released his dark side, and his mental presence is wreaking havok in the city, while he's trapped in the bathroom with severe cramps!

Have I missed any clichés?

#41 Posted by Munsu (163 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue really knows how to pick 'em, lol.

#42 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12570 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

Im sure he ate it after words
#43 Posted by abeyance (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto will play by the rules until he happens to notice a mutant being bullied at school, then he'll pop a blood vessel and wage war on mankind. (The bullying will occur over a mutant child wearing payless shoes and not because of their mutant powers.)

#44 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
@G-Man said:

Im sure he ate it after words
It had it coming.
#45 Posted by hitechlolife (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Good, I want him off the X-men rosters. He's added nothing to UXM or Legacy since joining.

#46 Posted by Trodorne (2574 posts) - - Show Bio
@hitechlolife said:
Good, I want him off the X-men rosters. He's added nothing to UXM or Legacy since joining.
actually, I thought he added more to the fact of how bad ass that scott summers was when he handed the man his helmet, and started taking orders from scott.

Marvel, stop trying to go for the shock factor and trying to get people to buy comics. I know im not spending a penny on this issue until I have had a chance to read it from a friend and see if it is even worth investing. cause frankly im already spend lots of money on comics that are not your comics marvel.
#47 Posted by Antonio_Blackheart (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

amen he back being bad azz
#48 Posted by The Impersonator (5057 posts) - - Show Bio

He's back!

#49 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like a good issue very interesting

#50 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you thank you. I have always hated how they take a great Villain and turn him good just because he is popular.
To me it cheapens who the character is and is a horrible trend.