VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@pwok21 said:

@conniption_fit said:

@pwok21: I like Landis' vid on Superman, but I tend to disagree with caveats. Poorly written Spidy can come across like a bully, but the joker antics were created in a very different time in his book. Spiderman got shellacked in his early outings, jobbers like the Scorpion could give him a really hard time. Firstly, I have to imagine the joking was a strategy to keep the baddies off centre while he fought them. Second writing wise it was also a way to keep the book light. Third, the villains didn't snap because Spider-man made fun of them, they were already hurting people before he showed up. Lastly it was meant to show an increased confidence difference for when he put the mask on, as Peter hiding his powers he continued to be picked on, and couldn't go making witty comebacks to people bullying him, as Spider-man able to go all out he could also tell those attacking them to shut up in smart funny ways, I'm sure he wished he could have on flash.

That's not me saying the way you or Landis see it is wrong, I just have a different interpretation.

I always agreed with Landis' interpretation in that Peter took out years of repressed anger from being bullied / abused on the villains, in that he disproportionately hurt them. I get that it's a writing thing to add jokes and make the book much more kid friendly but if you insult a villain while viciously beating them it gives them a reason to hate the hero to the point where they'll specifically target the hero as opposed to committing crimes. I get that not every Spiderman villain falls into that group (It's why I like Shocker and Rhine) but to me, Spiderman is a massive jerk.

I mean, the reason the Sinister Six exists is because a group had an intense hatred of Spiderman and wanted to put him down permanently.

But like you said, it is down to interpretation after all.

Landis can have whatever interpretation he likes, but the comics themselves provide different reasons, so he's wrong.

In more than one comic, it's been said why Spider-man cracks jokes at the villains.

One reason is to steady his nerves. Another is because it throws the villain off their game and makes them get sloppy. And lastly, he does it to put the civilians that are in danger from these maniacal villains at ease.

You can think Spider-man is a jerk if you like, but your reasons for doing so are directly contradicted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice to see marvel taking a active stand against bullying. Out of all the covers I think the captain america one looks the best. And it's not too hard to imagine cap doing that anyway.

Avatar image for scarlet_spider_forever
Scarlet_Spider_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God bless Marvel for this. Im in high school right now and its really tough getting bullied for liking comics. I could hope one day maybe Cap or Star Lord would have my back and it makes me feel like the bigger person looking up to these guys instead of letting the bullies get to me. Thank you Marvel, you make my days easier all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vrakmul: you're bringing up cars and yet I'm the dumb one??

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@pwok21 said:
@punyparker said:
  1. Bravo Marvel
  2. Seriously.......an Anti-Bullying program,and Spider-Man DOESN'T get a cover?.....okay.That sounds reasonable.

Spiderman is also a bully to be fair.

Is bullying bullies bullying? (seriously asking)

Avatar image for teddy_the_god_killer
teddy_the_god_killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm...good marketing there (call me a cynic, I don't care!)

Those that predominantly bully usually do not read comics.

Why make variant covers that will cost extra money to purchase? Be brave and put them as the sole cover.

The only cover that does make sense is Gamora.

The heavy focus on GoG just tells you everything you need to know.

I want to see the Hulk variant but with Squirrel Girl consoling Thanos while the Abstracts and other top tier guys are laughing at him...that I would pay money for!

I really don't see how this would be genuinely effective. We have loads of anti this and that in the UK and it follows a different tact all together. And Marvel's little spiel makes no sense. Using fictitious characters written a certain way, ok I can accept that, but they gain 'magic, mythic or whatever' powers and become more than the average person. How can a kid match that? The latter part sounds like one of this speeches that is intended to start a revolution.

The first port of call when bullied is to talk to someone...ok, let me just go and find the Hulk?!?!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@pwok21 said:
@punyparker said:

@pwok21 said:

No Caption Provided

I like how Max Landis put it:

'Why do you think that all Spiderman's villains hate him? Because he mocks them and belittles them while breaking their bones."

Spiderman is clearly Street Level+ and yet dishes out some brutal beatdowns to people who clearly can't take them.

he also stand up to characters he has no chance of beating, so I think it's fair to say he's more than just a bully..

but I have to agree that the bully aspect is part of Spider-man's character. As soon as he gets powers he wants to use them to get back at the world. Lots of bullies are bullies because they think of themselves as the victims and want revenge.

Wasn't that the whole idea of having Doc Ock be Spider-man? because he's what Spider-man would have been like if it hadn't been for Uncle Ben?

Either way, he's at the very least an intellectual bully, like you say, constantly belittling the intelligence of the majority of his foes. They may deserve to get beat up if that's what it takes to stop them from hurting anyone, but considering how unintelligent many of his enemies are (I'm looking at you, Hydro-Man), it does seem unnecessarily mean-spirited at times.

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pwok21 said:
@punyparker said:

@pwok21 said:

No Caption Provided

I like how Max Landis put it:

'Why do you think that all Spiderman's villains hate him? Because he mocks them and belittles them while breaking their bones."

Spiderman is clearly Street Level+ and yet dishes out some brutal beatdowns to people who clearly can't take them.

he also stand up to characters he has no chance of beating, so I think it's fair to say he's more than just a bully..

but I have to agree that the bully aspect is part of Spider-man's character. As soon as he gets powers he wants to use them to get back at the world. Lots of bullies are bullies because they think of themselves as the victims and want revenge.

Wasn't that the whole idea of having Doc Ock be Spider-man? because he's what Spider-man would have been like if it hadn't been for Uncle Ben?

Either way, he's at the very least an intellectual bully, like you say, constantly belittling the intelligence of the majority of his foes. They may deserve to get beat up if that's what it takes to stop them from hurting anyone, but considering how unintelligent many of his enemies are (I'm looking at you, Hydro-Man), it does seem unnecessarily mean-spirited at times.

I'm not saying he doesn't have anymore depth but a bully is a bully.

Even if he doesn't bully EVERYONE he still bullies a fair amount of his Rogues gallery, even if some of them deserve it.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@pwok21 said:
@punyparker said:
  1. Bravo Marvel
  2. Seriously.......an Anti-Bullying program,and Spider-Man DOESN'T get a cover?.....okay.That sounds reasonable.

Bully-ception.

Then it's all about technical terms,and not actual progress....

So i insist on my initial post.
Why does Spider-Man doesn't have a cover?!.....

superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superior_prime_maybe said:

@pwok21 said:
@punyparker said:
  1. Bravo Marvel

Bully-ception.

Then it's all about technical terms,and not actual progress....

So i insist on my initial post.

Why does Spider-Man doesn't have a cover?!.....

Well, i hope miles get one cover

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nice, It's really awesome that Marvel is doing this! I really like the Gamora Cover.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I dont know. I just said because he is still in high school... and he must be seeing stuff like this a lot, and it will effect him deeply. Plus, maybe Ganke got bullied. I think.
If it is possible, they can make a good psa. Like when Harry was on drugs. That was a good psa and wasnt talking down to its audience.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I dont know. I just said because he is still in high school... and he must be seeing stuff like this a lot, and it will effect him deeply. Plus, maybe Ganke got bullied. I think.

If it is possible, they can make a good psa. Like when Harry was on drugs. That was a good psa and wasnt talking down to its audience.

Yeah,cool.