Marvel Announces Landmark X-Men Marriage [Spoilers]

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Michiel76

Well i'm glad the USA is finally warming up to gay marriages, where i live (netherlands) gay marriages have been possible since 2001.

And you know what, the world hasn't ended or anything, so grow up people. Everyone deserves to share their lives with a loved one.

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Aeroman

Kind of saw that one coming

sergyanime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By sergyanime

@Thunderscream: I'm happy about them using gay marriage as well. The fact of the matter is if anyone were to get married in any universe they would have a big old scene. It being gay just happens to bring more spot light to it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54  Edited By AgeofHurricane
@FierceYouth said:

@IronAngelX said:

Oh, I also want to point out something, I'm pretty sure not ALL of those characters in that variant cover would attend a homosexual wedding. I don't think Wolverine just accepts it, he's probably as disgusted with homosexual behavior as any other biker or rough neck....then again though....he is Canadian.

Uh, yeah. Let's not forget Idie, who still refers to herself as a sinner and as one of the damned because she's a mutant. She's hyper-religious and has constantly been reminding the students at the Jean Grey School that they're all inappropriate sinners. If they write her in and don't have her object to the whole thing, ugh.

I don't know about Logan though. He's been around a good long while and seen plenty. Northstar's pretty badass, and I think Wolverine would judge him on that more so than being gay. Besides, he hardly fits most biker stereotypes... (remember the whole also-a-samurai thing?)

That's irrelevant, if you've actually looked into the character a bit more, you'll see she's developed from the self-loathing character that everybody used to know.
TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By TheHeat

Yawn! Where the NC voters when you need them.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Crackdown

@1fearless1 said:

What the hell is wrong with these comic book companies? This is DISGUSTING. Way to ruin a character.

I NOW officially stop buying comics! Thanks to you Morons!

It is pitiful to find people like you here

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Hope this goes better for them than it does for 99% of all the other comic marriages.

FierceYouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By FierceYouth

@AgeofHurricane: She has, but for the most part in very slight ways. She's been the type of character whose growth is visible. I don't necessarily want her to hate that it's happening, but at the very least, Marvel could stand to give us a look inside the characters' minds. Let us see what these characters think of something that has for so long been a taboo in comics. And many of the characters, including Idie, would likely still hold onto some resentment or unease I would think.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By TheHeat
@Mega_spidey01 said:

i don't care i'm not reading x-men anyway.

I remember when X-Men was fun to read. How I miss those days.
ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ravisher

i heard DC is turning a justice league member gay

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By KainScion

MARVEL board room: *cyggar smoke* 'lesbians. nuff said'

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Mutant God

I would thought Scott and Emma would have gotten married before Northstar

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63  Edited By IronAngelX

@TheHeat said:

@Mega_spidey01 said:

lmao I feel you

@AgeofHurricane: Hey you can't disagree with him, he's an openly gay comic reader and still agrees that not everyone should be tolerant of this to keep with the realism of X-Men. Seriously, the one openly homosexual person on this site that I've talked to is actually agreeing with me more than the straight guys who don't want to be labeled as bigots. But fyi, it's not bigotry to disagree with something, it is only bigotry if you try to shove it down someone else's throat. We are just talking about a realistic sense that the X-men have always prided themselves of having.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Static Shock  Online

@cattlebattle said:

Christ.... Its like who can exploit homosexuality first...Marve or DC... the race is on....

Northstar has been a homosexual since he was first created decades ago. What is there to exploit?

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#65  Edited By MonkeyToe

@ravisher said:

i heard DC is turning a justice league member gay

Who said it was a member of the Justice League? Everything I have read just says a 'prominent DC Character'

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Static Shock  Online

@TheHeat said:

Yawn! Where the NC voters when you need them.

Please don't do that here.

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#67  Edited By CircularLogic

@pingclang said:

I don't even know what to say. This is so screwed up. I'm sure Kirby, Simon and many of the others we've lost are rolling in their graves. Way to take something as simple and pure as a comic book and make a political, publicity stunt out of it. If Cap goes to that wedding, I will be cancelling all my comics.

I hate it when people claim that Gay marriage is a political issue. It's not. Gay marriage isn't something that the founders of the conservative and liberal ways of thinking have ever discussed, the reason it appears to be political is because you have a certain state of mind that guides your political thinking, which is why most conservative parties are actively against it, because being "conservative" is literally defined as being afraid of change. But at the same time that doesn't mean that just because you are republican you are against gay marriage. The issue is split between parties, but it is not political

No, Gay marriage is mostly a debate between ignorant people and people with decency.

Ignorant people are against it, decent human beings are for it. It's that simple.

And there's a difference between being a publicity stunt and being topical. The times have changed, so comics have been changing to reflect that. It's no longer acceptable to have no gay characters in comics, so you have to either invent new gay characters (e.g. Kate Kane) or make existing characters come out (Renee Montoya). A publicity stunt implies there is no merit to it other than bringing readers in, but that doesn't seem to be the case here since the character's role as a gay man in comics and his relationship have both been built up for years.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AgeofHurricane
@IronAngelX said:

@TheHeat said:

@Mega_spidey01 said:

lmao I feel you

@AgeofHurricane: Hey you can't disagree with him, he's an openly gay comic reader and still agrees that not everyone should be tolerant of this to keep with the realism of X-Men. Seriously, the one openly homosexual person on this site that I've talked to is actually agreeing with me more than the straight guys who don't want to be labeled as bigots. But fyi, it's not bigotry to disagree with something, it is only bigotry if you try to shove it down someone else's throat. We are just talking about a realistic sense that the X-men have always prided themselves of having.

No offense, but, in what way does this paragraph relate to my previous response ?
zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By zackattack529

@aztek_the_lost said:

I thought that everything in comics is all about undoing marriages? what's the message Marvel's trying to convey, only gay people can be happily married? I call "bullsh!t"

WARNED.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

I thought that everything in comics is all about undoing marriages? what's the message Marvel's trying to convey, only gay people can be happily married? I call bullsh!t

at least DC has an excuse to do their thing since they completely rebooted their universe and changed all sorts of characters in other ways

Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I smell CONTROVERSY.

I mean, I'm all for this, but I can't help but feel like Marvel's having and hyping up this wedding to take advantage of the 'controversy.'

That said, hooray for gay marriage. Politics have no right being able to control that sort of thing.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

I thought that everything in comics is all about undoing marriages? what's the message Marvel's trying to convey, only gay people can be happily married? I call bullsh!t

at least DC has an excuse to do their thing since they completely rebooted their universe and changed all sorts of characters in other ways

they were created married, that doesn't count for anything

They weren't created Married.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Primmaster64
@cattlebattle said:
Christ....  Its like who can exploit homosexuality first...Marve or DC...  the race is on....
Indeed
IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75  Edited By IronAngelX

@AgeofHurricane: Really was just being sarcastic, It did get a little long winded though didn't it? I don't really care about this topic anyways, first off I don't read Astonishing X-Men, second of all, the only reason this is an issue is because of our President Monkey-ears Obama's (not a racial jab but the dude has monkey ears) condoning of the topic.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By htb106

I've not been keeping up with X-men for a few years so for a moment I thought it would be Northstar and Wolverine, that would be Astonishing.

I like happy comics...

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#77  Edited By zombietag

gay contest between dc and marvel! GO!

newxfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By newxfactor

Why do you hate this event? Beacuse is a gay marriage? Don't read it and leave the Marvel Comics writers do what they want...

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

Why have they all chosen to wear their superhero costumes to this wedding? Tsk, tsk. Dress code!

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Static Shock  Online

@1fearless1 said:

What the hell is wrong with these comic book companies? This is DISGUSTING. Way to ruin a character.

What's disgusting about it? Northstar has always been homosexual? Why are you tripping? LOL.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ReVamp said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

they were created married, that doesn't count for anything

They weren't created Married.

really? well then I've learned something today but they were created as a couple, same difference...they've never not been a couple so that's why they haven't been broken up

I know, I was just trolling you. xP.

Booster_Bronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Booster_Bronze

I love how the move in society towards openness towards homosexuality being reflected in comic books is suddenly described as "exploitation". No one complained for the gay characters they've had in these books for years. If anything, having them have flings without marriage smacks more of exploitation than a gay marriage. This is another reflection of a changing of the times, not capitalizing on a societal issue. Empty gay sex every month would be exploitation, not a commitment like these two characters are doing.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Well, Marvel DID say after Liu took over that this would be the most controversial title of the year. LOL.

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#85  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@FierceYouth said:

Hold up.

So, as an openly gay comic book fan (one of far too few), I find myself only half-heartedly into this. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equal representation in the 616, and I love seeing this happen, but how about we have characters actually kissing on-panel before we get to gay marriage? I loved the entire run of Heinberg's Avengers: The Children's Crusade, and in issue #9, when Wiccan and Hulkling first kiss on-panel it was a great moment for fans. What was more, there were allusions to the two getting hitched at some point in the future. But these are characters who have been together literally since their creation (well, for the most part for Billy with that whole reincarnation thing). Since Young Avengers #1, (which came out in 2005 for those of you counting), the two have been a couple (though it wasn't explicitly stated until Young Avengers Presents sometime later).

Kyle, the one marrying Northstar, his first appearance was less than three years ago. I get that for a playboy like Northstar (because seriously, he has always been portrayed that way), this is a long relationship, but Northstar's "long-term boyfriend" is by no means a long-term anything. He's a character who was introduced to try and dissuade readers from seeing Northstar as a stereotypical gay man hooking up with other gay men for the fun of it. While I understand the urge to give their relationship some credence, this is just sloppy. Look at the great love stories of Marvel. Look at how long they've taken to unfold. Reed and Sue, Peter and MJ, Scott and Jean. The last two there didn't get married until the 90's! Throwing characters into marriages isn't giving them more humanity, it's tokenism and it's cheap.

While that's it for my rant, I must also add that despite the bad taste the story leaves in my mouth, I'll be buying it. Because comic book publishers still need to get the hint that they have gay fans who love that they are receiving representation in comics. Because until I don't have to cheer every time I see two guys kissing on-panel, I will. It's news until it starts being the norm. Hopefully that day's coming.

~Nick

An excellent rant. As a straight comic fan with a bisexual best friend and many gay friends, I'm in full agreement with the points you made here. It will be far more poignant when we see Wiccan and Hulkling get hitched.

cbnnexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By cbnnexus

This whole thread makes me sick. Every Marvel marriage has been publicized to some extent - not just this one. Where did you hear about it first? Comic Vine? Some other special interest forum or website? The only reason mainstream news would pick it up is because gay marriage is in the news right now, so I'm sure some mainstream news either will or already has picked it up, and understandably so. Just like they did when Cap "died".

Gay marriage or gays in general shouldn't be a political football. Nearly every single person in this thread has treated it as such.

Ignorant douchecanoe? Don't read it

Don't care? Don't read it

Gays can get married too, even in fiction. Get over it. The less you make it political, the more normal it will be. So shut up already.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#88  Edited By Billy Batson

@aztek_the_lost:

join the club.
BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ReVamp

@aztek_the_lost: Don't lie, you love me. Its impossible not to.

@Billy Batson said:

@aztek_the_lost:

join the club.
BB

You don't have emotions robot, stop pretending you do.

Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By Lifeguard85

@FierceYouth said:

Hold up.

So, as an openly gay comic book fan (one of far too few), I find myself only half-heartedly into this. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equal representation in the 616, and I love seeing this happen, but how about we have characters actually kissing on-panel before we get to gay marriage? I loved the entire run of Heinberg's Avengers: The Children's Crusade, and in issue #9, when Wiccan and Hulkling first kiss on-panel it was a great moment for fans. What was more, there were allusions to the two getting hitched at some point in the future. But these are characters who have been together literally since their creation (well, for the most part for Billy with that whole reincarnation thing). Since Young Avengers #1, (which came out in 2005 for those of you counting), the two have been a couple (though it wasn't explicitly stated until Young Avengers Presents sometime later).

Kyle, the one marrying Northstar, his first appearance was less than three years ago. I get that for a playboy like Northstar (because seriously, he has always been portrayed that way), this is a long relationship, but Northstar's "long-term boyfriend" is by no means a long-term anything. He's a character who was introduced to try and dissuade readers from seeing Northstar as a stereotypical gay man hooking up with other gay men for the fun of it. While I understand the urge to give their relationship some credence, this is just sloppy. Look at the great love stories of Marvel. Look at how long they've taken to unfold. Reed and Sue, Peter and MJ, Scott and Jean. The last two there didn't get married until the 90's! Throwing characters into marriages isn't giving them more humanity, it's tokenism and it's cheap.

While that's it for my rant, I must also add that despite the bad taste the story leaves in my mouth, I'll be buying it. Because comic book publishers still need to get the hint that they have gay fans who love that they are receiving representation in comics. Because until I don't have to cheer every time I see two guys kissing on-panel, I will. It's news until it starts being the norm. Hopefully that day's coming.

~Nick

Agree completely.

I love Northstar, he is one of my favorite characters, but I still don't really know anything about Kyle, and I get most issues where Northstar makes an appearance. Most of the time they are shown together, they are doubting their relationship. But then again, not everyone who gets married has a great romance. Hopefully they use this publicity to show the more romantic and positive side of their relationship.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#91  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@1fearless1 said:

>_>
Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The proposal event has been hinted at for ages...

So why are people so surprised, Marvel stated that during AvX there was to be a proposal and here it is!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#93  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@rogue_mar1e said:

Yay!!!

(Wow, so many ignorant homophobes here.)

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#94  Edited By RedOwl_1

I don't think is a good idea.... I mean I don't hate homosexual people (I find it a little bit disgusting but I tolerate it) but a superhero/normal guy public (at least looks like) wedding just screams out loud:

"Hey super-villains this is the perfect moment to attack the city, right now when you know we are busy or better attack US now we're together in a weak position and distracted" :D

@MyraMyraMyra said:

Why have they all chosen to wear their superhero costumes to this wedding? Tsk, tsk. Dress code!

Plus that. Also does any of them actually have a formal suit?

@zombietag said:

gay contest between dc and marvel! GO!

*in a football narrator voice* Now Marvel takes the lead with his gay marriage, now is just about time till we see DC answer....

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#95  Edited By BatWatch

It's kind of funny that Marvel it trying to be edgy, yet it was beaten to the punch by Archie comics four months ago.

I don't have any problem with comics reflecting the reality of the day, but it does annoy me that homosexuality is never treated in a negative way in comics. Would it be to dreadful for Captain America or Superman to say, "Everyone should be free to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else, but I don't think marriage should be between two men?"

There are a lot of nice, good people with different viewpoints, yet we only ever get the homosexuality is great message from comics and most media.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

I've been reading X-Books since the Claremont days. I like to collect all X titles when and where I can. But I won't be reading this one.

I don't want to bug out of a book solely because of 'gay-centric' story telling so I gave it a try. But with panel after panel of Northstar and his boyfriend making out, romancing and/or cuddling thrown in our faces ...

Well, as a straight guy, let's just say it's visually thoroughly unappealing and leave it at that. It's just too much in the spotlight for my tastes and I'll have to pass on the read until the focus switches to something else. I'm just not into gay drama or romance and do not want to pay to read it. It's not personal, but it is a personal 'taste' or 'distaste' if you prefer.

I don't imagine it's all too visually appealing to look at or read for most straight dudes. And that's OK too. As OK as gay men who enjoy it.

While I commend it's incorporation, I also reserve the right to be turned off the book (despite pulling most titles 'X' related) for as long as the focus is Northstar's gay relationship and imminent marriage. No thanks.

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Stormultt

@Super_SoldierXII said:

I've been reading X-Books since the Claremont days. I like to collect all X titles when and where I can. But I won't be reading this one.

I don't want to bug out of a book solely because of 'gay-centric' story telling so I gave it a try. But with panel after panel of Northstar and his boyfriend making out, romancing and/or cuddling thrown in our faces ...

Well, as a straight guy, let's just say it's visually thoroughly unappealing and leave it at that. It's just too much in the spotlight for my tastes and I'll have to pass on the read until the focus switches to something else. I'm just not into gay drama or romance and do not want to pay to read it. It's not personal, but it is a personal 'taste' or 'distaste' if you prefer.

I don't imagine it's all too visually appealing to look at or read for most straight dudes. And that's OK too. As OK as gay men who enjoy it.

While I commend it's incorporation, I also reserve the right to be turned off the book (despite pulling most titles 'X' related) for as long as the focus is Northstar's gay relationship and imminent marriage. No thanks.

Oh ok.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#98  Edited By doordoor123

@pikahyper said:

@cattlebattle: lol, FTWWTF!

There, I corrected that for you.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@Stormultt said:

@Super_SoldierXII said:

Oh ok.

Mmhm.

n25philly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By n25philly

lol, so they get engaged in issue #50 and married in #51? No, this clearly is not a publicity stunt...