gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

This August, comics superstar and Arrow Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim (Amazing Spider-Man, Wolverine) takes Marvel’s mutants into space for an explosive new mission for a brand-new 4-issue story arc kicking off in X-MEN #18!

High above the Earth in the floating space station known as The Peak, extraterrestrial threats are monitored by S.W.O.R.D. – the planet’s alien counterterrorism and intelligence agency. From the cold reaches of space, a familiar face returns. The ferocious Shi’Ar warrior Deathbird has landed on their doorstep, gravely wounded and inches from death. Unable to identify the who or what that caused her life threatening injuries, the X-Men are called in to investigate!

Speaking with Paul Montgomery at Marvel.com, Guggenheim shared where the idea for his upcoming arc originated: “The idea really came from the fact I’d been jonesing for an X-Men in space story as a reader. I’d been re-reading the Brood Saga and it reminded me how much I love that concept of the X-Men in outer space. It’s a milieu that suits them really well.”

What horrible dangers await Rachel Grey, Storm, Jubilee, Psylocke and Monet in the cold, lifeless vacuum of space? And are they equipped to handle it? Don’t miss the start of an epic sci-fi horror tale as Guggenheim and Soy take the reins this August in X-MEN #18!

johnrevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By johnrevenge

I'm not sure about Guggenheim, his run of Young X-men was slightly boring. I wonder if he will keep writting X-men after his four story arc, and if he will explore about Cipher's (Alisa Tager) past, as he was the one who created her.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I didn't know that he wrote comics. I seriously have to catch up because I'm only on issue 7.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Guggenheim's work for hire stuff is usually pretty weak. Halcyon and Resurrection were good though.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sovereign91001

I want to be excited about this, because I love Arrow and enjoyed the accompanying comic he wrote. But then I remember his Blade series and I'm given pause. I don't know how to feel tbh.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like dexter soy, but the art on this book has been top notch so far & I don't think he's well suited for the task just yet. As far a Guggenheim goes I'll wait & see before I judge it.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me really happy for the sole reason that there is a creative team change that isn't accompanied by a big #1 on the cover.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The shi'ar and a phoenix host after what happened with O5 jean can't be good for the X men

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adjectiveless X-Men's current run has secretly been one of the very worst X-Men books in recent history.

I guess there is nowhere to go but up?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm indifferent to this honestly. Didn't like Wood's X-Men so I guess it's okay news.

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: that's pretty true. And ive read most of them for at least the past 3-4 years. I get the "point" of having an all female cast from marvel's perspective (read: they can pat themselves on the back more), but the lack of any male protagonists really hurts this book by removing several dimensions it could otherwise have. I expect it won't really get better until they change that.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Adjectiveless X-Men's current run has secretly been one of the very worst X-Men books in recent history.

Amen to that.

It is shocking how fast the comic went from amazing to mediocre.

Perhaps a change in writer is just what the doctor ordered.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bladewolf

@hassun said:

Amen to that.

Agreed. Brian Wood had a strong start...which quickly spiraled into a pool of confusion and mediocrity.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also indifferent about Wood leaving the book. I think he just dropped the ball on such a unique opportunity with an all-female X-Men.

I don't think I have read much of Guggenhein's work before so I'm open to seeing what he bringd to the battle. I'm liking the idea of a space adventure for the team, and with Rachel's history with the Shi'ar I think it's a good opportunity to give her some focus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Nifty.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

In fairness to Wood, his run has been kind of a victim of the editorial department. After only 4 issues the title got sucked into a mediocre crossover that didn't relate at all to the opening story arc.

Then we get back from the crossover and Rogue and Kitty had to suddenly be removed from the book due to events going on in other titles. I really doubt Wood planned on this when he drafted out the first few storylines, so its likely that he had to scrap planned stories/development for Rogue and Kitty and hastily bring in Monet and Karima.

Lastly, the business of reviving Selene and Maddy Pryor just screams editorial mandate. They spent a couple issues on how big of a deal it is that these two will be coming back and joining the big bad, and then they literally just walk out of the story without doing anything.

I'm not a major Brian Wood fan, but I know he's better than this. There's no way this sloppy plotting is all his fault. It seems like he's been doing his best to write around all the circumstances that editorial has been throwing at him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@bladewolf said:

@scarletbatman said:

@hassun said:

Amen to that.

Agreed. Brian Wood had a strong start...which quickly spiraled into a pool of confusion and mediocrity.

I always described my experience with that book like this.

• Issue 1: Okay, this was pretty good
  • Issue 2: Wow, that was even better!
  • Issue 3: OK, that wasn't so good
  • Issue 4: This sucks and I'm not reading this book anymore
munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@xwraith said:

I always described my experience with that book like this.

• Issue 1: Okay, this was pretty good
  • Issue 2: Wow, that was even better!
  • Issue 3: OK, that wasn't so good
  • Issue 4: This sucks and I'm not reading this book anymore

This unfortunately sums it up for me. Which is sad because Psylocke and Rogue are two of my favorite X-Men, so I really wanted to like this. Started great, but I ended up dropping it at about issue 5 or 6. Just opened strong and fell flat.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

In fairness to Wood, his run has been kind of a victim of the editorial department. After only 4 issues the title got sucked into a mediocre crossover that didn't relate at all to the opening story arc.

Then we get back from the crossover and Rogue and Kitty had to suddenly be removed from the book due to events going on in other titles. I really doubt Wood planned on this when he drafted out the first few storylines, so its likely that he had to scrap planned stories/development for Rogue and Kitty and hastily bring in Monet and Karima.

Lastly, the business of reviving Selene and Maddy Pryor just screams editorial mandate. They spent a couple issues on how big of a deal it is that these two will be coming back and joining the big bad, and then they literally just walk out of the story without doing anything.

I'm not a major Brian Wood fan, but I know he's better than this. There's no way this sloppy plotting is all his fault. It seems like he's been doing his best to write around all the circumstances that editorial has been throwing at him.

totally agree with all of this.

I've been hot and cold with the book for all of these reasons, but you really could read the first four issues and then skip to issue 13 (which picks the story back up from the first arc) without feeling like you missed much.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lagozzino said:

totally agree with all of this.

I've been hot and cold with the book for all of these reasons, but you really could read the first four issues and then skip to issue 13 (which picks the story back up from the first arc) without feeling like you missed much.

Move over, fellas. Make some room for me on your boat.

I do think the next issue should be much better.

Avatar image for ace_of_spades90
Ace_Of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said.