Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to believe that IMAGE Comics has existed for twenty years, but it has. The publisher that has brought us YOUNGBLOOD, SAVAGE DRAGON, SPAWN and many other creator owned properties will be celebrating a milestone this year. To commemorate 20 years of success as one of the most prominent publishers in comics IMAGE will be releasing two special tribute covers to SPAWN #220 which we've posted for you below.

SPAWN #220 tribute cover based on SAVAGE DRAGON #1
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Image Comics, the first of these nine covers by McFarlane, SPAWN #220, depicts “Savage Spawn,” referencing the first issue of SAVAGE DRAGON by Erik Larsen. (Cover B - APR120410)
SPAWN #220 will also have a variant cover paying tribute to Rob Liefeld's YOUNGBLOOD #1 (Cover C - APR120411), as well as an original cover from McFarlane himself (Cover A -
APR120409). A black-and-white variant of each of the covers will be available as an incentive for retailers.

In addition, current SPAWN artist Szymon Kudranski has created a cover based on the original SPAWN #1 cover by McFarlane for the SPAWN: 20th Anniversary Collector's Special (APR120418). This special edition of SPAWN #220 publishes Kudranski's interior art in black-and-white along with additional content featuring a look back at a sampling of TODD McFARLANE's inked pages from SPAWN #1. It is limited to 2500 copies.
== TEASER ==

SPAWN #220 will be available to order starting in April and will be released on June 6th, 2012.

#1 Posted by CitizenJP (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Really wish I got the chance to follow Spawn comics but I have noooo idea where to start lol.

#2 Posted by J1ml33 (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Via La Image comics ^_^ [ simply in love with Todd Mcfarlane`s Savage Dragon Homage [ now that`s something I would never Expect from him ]  either way SPAWN looks impressive in both variants .

#3 Posted by termiteone4ever (7142 posts) - - Show Bio

From number 1 :)

#4 Posted by CitizenJP (595 posts) - - Show Bio

@termiteone4ever: lol only 219 more to go!

#5 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14425 posts) - - Show Bio

i really ...really want the collectors edition

#6 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

2012 The Year of Image

#8 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

@J1ml33: Totally agree Viva La Image! Image has sooo many excellent titles out. Fatale, Sage, Manhattan Project, Hack/Slash, Savage Dragon, Spawn, Invinvible and Walking Dead just to name some. Its kicking @ss right now. 2012 is the Image year the mayans predicted it lol.

#9 Edited by The Impersonator (5234 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Spawn but not the movie. =P

#10 Posted by Grimoire (537 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a big fan of Spawn and even have about 13 of the trades but couldn't get anymore for awhile but then when I found out where the story went in regards to Simmons and his wife Wanda after that I no longer want to read any more of it.

#11 Posted by GLforHIRE (453 posts) - - Show Bio

now thats how your supposed to draw

#12 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the 90's :(

#13 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

i stopped reading spawn after endgame. is the new run of spawn comics still good? like if i started at Spawn #200 would it be ok...is the new spawn just as cool as simmons????

#14 Posted by jaredbright (204 posts) - - Show Bio

That's very cool. I have Spawn #1, Savage Dragon #, and the first issue of Youngblood which was the first Image book.

#15 Edited by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

I will celebrate if this means the Real Spawn, Al Simmons is back. Have the Fake Commit Suicide.

#16 Posted by Kinasin_ (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait.

#17 Posted by 0blivion_ (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

#18 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Can definitely see how far they've come with this tribute to the first ever Savage Dragon...

Image, you really have come full circle and for that I salute you!

#19 Posted by jeloboy (6 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW! ;D

#20 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

where's the Youngblood tribute cover?

#21 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

long live Spawn: Godslayer.

#22 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn was great, so how did they come up with such a shitty movie. Please, answer this mr Mc Farlane, why did you disappoint so many people with that lump of crap?

#23 Edited by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

Shouldn't 20 years be #240? Where did the other 20 issues go? Do they skip a month each year?

#24 Posted by Makkaar1984 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anybody seen the Adventures of Spawn webcomic? It's so different, not my Spawn!

#25 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

That amalgamated cover is truly sharp and unique.

#26 Posted by Nicodemus (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Defiantly should do a spawn reboot movie. Have McFarland toys do the effects and cg. Sam rami should direct in the old evil dead style. Super creepy camera tricks! I still have my spawn #1!!! Great series

#27 Posted by MrSlayer (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm officialy older than dirt. I can't believe it's been 20 years.

#28 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe I still remember buying the first issue (or more appropriately, having my mom buy). 20 years. Damn I'm now old.

#29 Posted by Albatorak (3 posts) - - Show Bio

IMAGE COMICS - 20 years and still the same disrespect for readers! What about IMAGE UNITED parts 4 to 6??? No mention at all during ImageExpo, or now... No one is asking them to come out and openly admit that they cancelled the remaining issues. It does not matter if you liked 0 to 3 or not, you should still be pissed about the cancelled last issues. And even more pissed that they did not bother making a public statement confirming the cancellation due to poor sales. Poor sales due to a lack of effort and delays in shipping schedule. This project deserve to be completed even if they can only sell 7-10M issues of the last 3 chapters, just out of respect for the fans who helped them become what they are today.

#30 Posted by murch (4 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're looking to get into Spawn, I'd suggest starting at issue 201. The current creative team started there, and have made the title accessible to new readers, using some brief exposition to fill in the background info where required. You can pick up the first 12 issues of their run in the Spawn: New Beginnings TPBs. Volume 1 collects 201-206, and Volume 2 collects 207-212.

#31 Posted by murch (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Re: Image United It's not been cancelled. Erik Larsen has stated recently that all remaining issues are being worked on, but that they will not comment or resolicit until everything is finished. At that point they'll release issues 4-6 in quick succession. It's a pretty massive undertaking, with art boards being couriered around the country for up to 6 pencils and even more inkers to work on, each with their own projects to keep on schedule. Fact is, we all knew it would be delayed - but it will happen eventually. I'd personally rather they'd not rush it.

#32 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@Makkaar1984: its supposed to b for younger folk

#33 Posted by daredevil21134 (11375 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring back Al Simmons