• 61 results
Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Deathstrike. She's always been a deadly and fascinating villain. It's great when good villains aren't overused. I actually had forgotten when we last saw her. But she will be back, fittingly in the pages of X-MEN. Check out the early preview Marvel has released.

That's an interesting new look for her, wouldn't you say?

X-MEN #7

This November, the six-part Muertas arc kicks off in X-Men #7 with the return of one of the X-Men’s deadliest foes – Lady Deathstrike! From the blockbuster creative team of Brian Wood and Terry Dodson – as the X-Men regroup following the catastrophic events of Battle of the Atom, a new threat closes in from the shadows and a new member joins the X-Men! Lady Deathstrike is back, and she’s assembling an all-new Sisterhood of Mutants to take them down! It’s going to take everything they’ve got to stop them – including new arrival and fan-favorite X-Factor alum Monet! Can these bruised and broken mutants pull it together long enough to repel this new threat? Find out as Muertas kicks off in X-Men #7! This is one X-Fans won’t want to miss!

X-MEN #7 (SEP130747)

Written by BRIAN WOOD

Art & Cover by TERRY DODSON

FOC – 10/28/2013, On-Sale – 11/20/2013

Staff
#1 Posted by nappystr8 (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool character design, but I don't like it for Lady Deathstrike.

#2 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

Is lady deathstrike latina? I thought she was Japanese. I think this new design is extremly problamatic and approtitave. Unless its handled with care I am not looking forward to this...

#3 Edited by Deadknight (641 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think I like just about everything about the new look except for the face paint. It doesn't look as fearsome as people are intended to think, and it's more Mexican than Japanese, taking Deathstrike quite far from her roots.

#4 Posted by Crazy_Wilhelm (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe she's transethnic?

#5 Posted by HeckTate (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

I see she also travels in style and has a nice phone. And what's with the "latina" comments? It's not the only culture that's had skulls and face paint in it guys, skulls (any skeletal parts really) have been symbols of death, danger, and fear in most cultures for hundreds if not thousands of years.

#6 Posted by nj06 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. The design isn't bad, but it doesn't seem like a god look for Lady D. This look is much better:

#7 Edited by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate: Yeah but that specific makeup style along with thr story arcs name "muerta" it seems to be a refrence to Dia De Los muertos, a holiday that has been approiated by Americans for a long time and has been chalked up as simply " mexican halloween" when its so much more than that.

And since you brought up other cultures including Lady Deathstrikes own culture they could have had her new design based off of that.

I'm no completly dismissng this arc but I am entering into it with a bit of skeptism and concern because of these factors.

#9 Posted by Renchamp (2456 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks sweet. You can't tell me that her in the "bad guy chair" looks latina.

And don't forget about these karate guys going all skeleton:

#10 Posted by senhordelicio (9 posts) - - Show Bio

The arc title is "Muertas" so we can assume it will has something to do with the Day of the Dead of the Mexicans.

Yeah, I think I like just about everything about the new look except for the face paint. It doesn't look as fearsome as people are intended to think, and it's more Mexican than Japanese, taking Deathstrike quite far from her roots.

#11 Posted by HeckTate (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx: I assumed they picked a "death" theme which is more recognizable to Western culture because the traditional Japanese symbols and practices associated with death wouldn't be recognizable to most Western readers. Ie, the number 4 (pronounced the same as the word for 'death'), Chrysanthemums (which are also used in weddings), butterflies (symbolize the soul living or dead), the color white (for death and mourning pretty much across the board in Eastern cultures), etc. But of course, bones among ashes are a huge part of the representation of death in their culture because 99% of their funerals are cremations and the family uses chopsticks to pick the bone fragments out after. It is a fascinating culture, but the majority of readers just wouldn't recognize most of these things as death symbols without some serious research.

#12 Posted by millennium (208 posts) - - Show Bio

why is does lady deathstrike have on a dia de muertos (day of the dead) face paint on? it just looks stupid

#13 Posted by The Stegman (24635 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Silver Banshee

#14 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Ha! That's great! Hadn't even thought of that

#15 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate: than why not usr this to promote an underrated or not well known latina/latino character or create a new one. ( who knows maybe they will) for me this just seems like a huge disservice to both cultures atm...

#16 Posted by HeckTate (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx: I assume there will be some sort of Latino/a character involved, because you're right: it wouldn't make sense to have Lady D's redesign be the only link to the Muertas arc title. Or I guess it would make sense, but it would be a very weak connection. Plus Marvel does this kind of thing regularly, they lead you in one direction that seems to make sense and then throw you a major curve at the end of the arc/event. I guess we will have to wait and see though.

#17 Posted by Perfect 10 (1072 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx: my thoughts exactly. unless this isnt yuriko but a new lady deathstrike who is latina i dont get it. it reminds me of a character design of a villain from witchblade (codename Apparition) but she IS latina. and the title of the storyarc is in spainish....hopefully one or more of the members of her group will be latina as we have very few in comics. really looking forward to monet joining, thought it was going to be issue 8 since she is on the cover but glad it is early on. i miss her and jubilee's interactions and now that jubilee has the baby so much snappy banter can ensue!!

#18 Posted by ARMIV2 (8587 posts) - - Show Bio

That's hot.

#20 Posted by DonFelipe (1107 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a really cool design and new look! Love it!

#21 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

Not bad for a new look. I'm not too crazy about the makeup either, but you know, de gustibus.

#22 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

When did Lady Deathstrike join KISS?

#23 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (2059 posts) - - Show Bio

Last time I saw Lady Deathstrike was back in Messiah Complex ...

#24 Edited by TheHonorableWarrior1982 (54 posts) - - Show Bio

It's how Dodson artwork that's why

#25 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe she's mexican, just like psylocke is english but looks japanese :/

#26 Posted by xkoenig (394 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx said:

Is lady deathstrike latina? I thought she was Japanese. I think this new design is extremly problamatic and approtitave. Unless its handled with care I am not looking forward to this...

Umm, what's approtitave?

#27 Posted by jhazzroucher (15871 posts) - - Show Bio

She looks like reanimated, just like in Naruto

#28 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@nj06 said:

@nappystr8 said:

I agree. The design isn't bad, but it doesn't seem like a god look for Lady D. This look is much better:

Agreed

#29 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Silver Banshee

This is very true

#30 Edited by Ostyo (8228 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it.

#31 Posted by HexThis (901 posts) - - Show Bio

GOTH. I like it.

#32 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@xkoenig: if this storyline isnt handled well its appropriating Dias De los Muertos and the culture and signifigance of it as a whole for a story arc and costume change to a japanese woman. I'm not saying it will be approtive but it has a high chance of it.

#33 Posted by Bloxxeh (191 posts) - - Show Bio

It reminds me of Black Widow. I mean, come on. The belt.

#35 Posted by flazam (2496 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks more like Lady Death!!

#37 Edited by HalfGorillaMan (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@nj06: looks like she a giant wang :S

#38 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (862 posts) - - Show Bio

I trust Wood as a writer will make this work. I can't wait to find out who's on the new Sisterhood. I'm hoping Chimera makes a return, I thought her powers were really cool.

#39 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

Her nails look dumb.

#40 Posted by Mutant God (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

Last time I saw her she was with her brother Lord Deathstrike

#41 Posted by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Deathstrike looks good

#42 Edited by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

@nj06: I disagree I like both

#43 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (342 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeboy said:

Maybe she's mexican, just like psylocke is english but looks japanese :/

Psylocke looks Japanese because she's not in her original body.

#44 Posted by TDK_1997 (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

This new design looks really awesome but it doesn't fit Deathstrike that much.

#45 Posted by molotovzav (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Deathstrike, looks like, Fanny Ardant in this......I'm not sure how I feel about sensing....French Actress from her haha.

#46 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I don't mind the new design but I'm really not the biggest fan of Terry Dodson, no disrespect just not my style. I'd like to see a different artist draw the new look.

#47 Posted by zombie_taco (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Why'd they go all domino about? I always thought she should look creepy and disproportionate

#49 Posted by jorgeareizaga (303 posts) - - Show Bio

This version of Lady Deathstrike is a cheap imitation of Silver Banshee and la Parca of mexican culture.

MARVEL THE HOUSE OF IMITATIONS

#50 Edited by Al_capOWN (534 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummmmm kinda sounds like death stroke, anyone ever heard of death stroke?? marvel being marvel...