Posted by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

This July, Peter Quill flies solo for the very first time in THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #1 – the bombastic new series from fan-favorite writer Sam Humphries and rising star artist Paco Medina!

Spinning directly out of the pages of Guardians of the Galaxy and just in time for the highly anticipated summer blockbuster – the notorious interstellar outlaw is striking out to swindle and swashbuckle his way across the galaxy in search of big adventures and even bigger scores. Expect a battle with the Badoon, a fight to save an orphanage, not to mention a little flirting with Kitty Pryde of the X-Men – and that’s just the FIRST ISSUE!

“This book is going to be Peter’s adventures untethered from the Guardians, where he gets to play a little more fast and loose in the cosmic playground, says series writer Sam Humphries. “He likes to fight. He likes to flirt. He flies by the seat of his pants. This book is almost more like a Space Western. It’s about heists and cons, bounty hunters, revenge and all that good stuff.”

“These are the high flying adventures of a space cowboy,” Humphries continues.

From the cold abyss of deep space to the seedy alien underworld, deadly forces await around every turn – and the Star-Lord stands alone. As the brazen outlaw prepares to strike out on a new journey, no fan can afford to miss the continuing adventures of the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. An epic new adventure begins right here – if he lives that long! Hang on dear reader, as Sam Humphries & Paco Medina take you out of this world when THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #1 explodes onto comic shop shelves and digital devices this July!

THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #1 (MAY140804)

Written by SAM HUMPHRIES

Art by PACO MEDINA

Cover by STEVE MCNIVEN

Variant Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG (MAR148303)

Set of 6 All-New Young Guns Variants by

MAHMUD ASRAR, NICK BRADSHAW, DAVE MARQUEZ,

SARA PICHELLI, VALERIO SCHITI & RYAN STEGMAN

Movie Variant Also Available (MAY140806)

FOC – 06/09/14, On-Sale – 07/02/14

Staff
#1 Posted by Transformers1024 (1918 posts) - - Show Bio

First!

And I can't wait to pick this up! Looks great

#2 Posted by Z3RO180 (6549 posts) - - Show Bio

Make his hair brown again

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33438 posts) - - Show Bio

He's had solo books in the past so it's not real for the first time

#4 Posted by CrashBang (120 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely getting this! Stoked!

#5 Posted by amc26 (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks awesome!

#6 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21868 posts) - - Show Bio

I am definitely trying this out.

#7 Posted by doombot890 (218 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this. He's not in that god awful space suit...and yeah make his hair brown again!

#8 Posted by VoodooPenguin (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Lord!
And the captains of outer space!

#9 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11621 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (14478 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty cool.

#11 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Picking this up for sure

#12 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (2631 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks just like he does in the movie, what a crazy coincidence :)

#13 Edited by manlybanister (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope it's good!

#14 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

The three interior pages look pretty good, but wish we had some dialogue. I'll check out the first issue for sure. The big question for me, how long before Bendis is forcing a crossover with Guardians?

#15 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

Not feeling it.

#16 Posted by CheeseSticks (2476 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd want to buy it, but Humphries is writing it.

#17 Posted by Experio (16030 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't think they'd go for it

#18 Posted by NukeA6 (474 posts) - - Show Bio

All this does is make me more excited for the upcoming movie but still, I hope this does well.

#19 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam Humpries+Paco Medina=Definite Purchase

#20 Posted by Lena_Dante (2361 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Humphries turns you off of it?

I'm not overly familiar with his work.

#21 Posted by CheeseSticks (2476 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks said:

What about Humphries turns you off of it?

I'm not overly familiar with his work.

His Ultimate and Uncanny X-Force are horrible. I can't think of a good thing he wrote.

#22 Posted by Teerack (6331 posts) - - Show Bio

The art is great and Star-Lord is one of Marvel's best characters, but that writer..... could they not get anyone who is able to write humor? Is Daniel Way even on a book right now? He was the funniest Deadpool writer and I think he would have been a great match for Peter's wit.

#23 Posted by Jakethesnake18 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

His new suit had just started to grow on me and now its gone!!

#24 Posted by ptigrusmagus (491 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this book needs another variant, just not enough of them right now

#25 Edited by tparks (5000 posts) - - Show Bio

PLEASE let this mean he gets his powers back!!!

#26 Posted by Spideysense44 (3457 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited for this

#27 Posted by Jake Fury (18629 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Abnett & Lanning burn their bridges at Marvel?

#28 Posted by Hysteria (290 posts) - - Show Bio

Missed out the Midtown Comics exclusive

#30 Edited by BritishMonkey (324 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the movies don't influence the comics and it's the other way around?

Huh...

#31 Posted by amaltheias (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Fingers crossed that it's gonna be good!

#32 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (936 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks: What powers are you on about? I'm not aware of this o.O

#33 Posted by deadpool25mm (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the art! I'll check this out.

#34 Posted by chem86 (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly this! I love star-lord and GotG, but I actually truely hate sam humphries. He had an uncanny way of absolutely ruining characters, X-force had a great line-up but somehow he left me with a really bad taste in my mouth with all the character including ones I really like/d. I really like star-lord, so I don't dare ruin him by tainting him with humphries.

I don't even dislike any other writers, but I really do completely hate Humphries. His x-force was so terrible, worst than that crazy phase with the doop gang... I really feel like he only read like 2-3 issues to try to learn characters before writing them, because he makes characters seem like they are totally different people than they have been for years/decades in the comics worlds.

#35 Edited by Admiral_IronBeast (151 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by tparks (5000 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks: What powers are you on about? I'm not aware of this o.O

When he originally appeared in the bronze age, he had quite a few powers. He had faster then light flight, a healing factor, super strength, enhanced durability, the ability to survive in space unaided, he could read and speak every language in the universe, he had full understanding of any technology just by touching it, and his element gun flowed from his own energy and was only limited by his thought. He summoned hurricane strength winds and an ocean's worth of water on one occasion. He also was partners (and at one time in a relationship) with a living ship that was a former star that gained consciousness, and was able to transform itself into a ship. Here's a respect thread I'm working on, if you want to check it out: http://www.comicvine.com/star-lord/4005-10957/forums/star-lord-respect-thread-1529995/#2

It wasn't until one of the Thanos mini-series that they took his powers away, and then gave him cyborg enhancements. When DnA started their epic cosmic run, they took away the cyborg enhancements, and made him a normal human. Then Bendis came in and ret-conned pretty much everything about Starlord, so his origin has become a little muddy.

#37 Posted by tparks (5000 posts) - - Show Bio