Posted by G-Man (36654 posts) - - Show Bio

We first heard about ORIGIN II back in July. Kieron Gillen and Adam Kubert are joining forces to show us more of James Howlett's early days before becoming the man we know as Wolverine.

To make this even more special, Marvel released details on a special acetate cover.

Gorgeously rendered by superstar artist Adam Kubert, this unique cover features an ominous base layer underneath a second acetate layer of the clawed mutant entering the fray! Click here to see the cover in action on Marvel.com.

“With this year’s special December 24th on-sale date, we wanted to give retailers a cover that really popped off the shelves,” said Marvel’s SVP of Publishing Sales, David Gabriel. “With this acetate treatment and marquee position as one of the only two Marvel Comics on sale that week, we’re positive that no reader can miss—or resist – Origin II #1!”

In anticipation of this cover’s immense popularity, Marvel will have plenty of copies available for retailer orders to appease customer's demands! Select retailers will receive a cover preview sheet before this item’s FOC date, and attendees at Marvel’s New York City Comic-Con Retailer Breakfast presentation will receive a free cover preview sheet as well.

Set a few years after the events of Origin, Origin II finds James Howlett running with the wolves…until something unexpected brings him back into the world of men! Follow the first “X-Man” as he finds his way back to civilization and falls afoul of someone Sinister, who’s just discovering mutantkind and the horrors he can visit on them. Written by comic superstar Kieron Gillen and drawn by industry legend Adam Kubert, Origin II #1 continues the proud tradition of revealing Wolverine’s shocking history in the highest quality possible!

ORIGIN II #1 (OCT130650)

Written by KIERON GILLEN

Art & Acetate Cover by ADAM KUBERT

FOC – 11/4/13, ON-SALE – 12/24/13

Marvel has also released a first look at Adam Kubert's art.

#1 Posted by Wolverine08 (43595 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Edited by ccraft (5384 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome! I like all of Wolverine origin stories, like Origins, Weapon X, and Logan

#3 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

the art is awesome. but the writer, idk.

#4 Posted by kid Apollo (714 posts) - - Show Bio

art looks gorgeous, i checked out the cover over at Marvel.com and it looks a little tacky but im still down

#5 Posted by dondave (38469 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by alex6166 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great, but I'm an old fan and I can't think of Wolverine as some guy named James who had some definitive origin, most of which we already assumed. Wow, he had parents! Really?

The origin was completely pointless. Wolverine's a guy with a mysterious past and occasionly you see a piece of it. You think they would of retconned that thing by now.

#7 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Tempted to buy this just for the art, I don't really care about another Wolverine origin otherwise...

#8 Posted by Dernman (15234 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't like what came out of the first one so I see this and feel dread.

#9 Posted by inferiorego (26726 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#10 Posted by Thor_Ul (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Will Logan found his true love among the wolves?

#11 Posted by Wolverine08 (43595 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7355 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a big fan of too many origin books nowadays, but this looks cool.

#13 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7355 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that as a kid, I loved the cover of The Spectacular Spider-Man #229. I sat there, flipping the cover open and closed constantly, and placed different covers and art in there, so Spidey and MJ would be swinging away from various things.

#15 Edited by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is not another Wolverine story that he does not know who he is really how many times can you tell the same story in different ways...anyways I might pick up the 1st issue

#16 Posted by nappystr8 (1122 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey! More gimmick covers! Marvel and DC both sure do love to bandwagon each other. I actually don't really mind the gimmick covers, I will be getting at least one of DC's 3D covers. But I do think it's funny that Marvel made a backhanded comment about actually having enough of the cover to meet demand.

#17 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3908 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that's awesome!!!

#18 Posted by CheeseSticks (2525 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally a Wolverine book, it's been a long time since i saw this character in a comics...

#20 Posted by teclo (34 posts) - - Show Bio

@nappystr8: to be fair, Marvel have done this kind of cover a few times before. They're also just doing it for this one special thing, not every single cover for a month for purely gimmicky reasons. Either way, it seems like an odd thing to announce and make such a big deal about. I see this done on magazines pretty often and they don't make a big song and dance about it.

#21 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio

Man Marvel has really been stepping up their game over the course of 2013. DC I love you guys but you better up your anty if you hope of beating Marvel.

#22 Posted by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good!

#24 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

It's official, we really have turned back the clock, and its currently 1993. 3D covers, acetate covers. Why not hologram and foil covers next or perhaps scratch and sniff or stickers?? Not being sarcastic either here, simply saying that we have definitely come back to the nineties era of comics once again!

#25 Posted by palbo_nerru (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Godamit.... This looks absolutely incredible. Especially the night race... Dynamic lighting is so next gen with this. If it runs that smooth with 30fps I couldnt care less about 60fps. This game looks officially better than Forza now in every regard.