Posted by G-Man (30689 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in April we spoke to writer Ian Flynn about the return of the New Crusaders at Archie Comics. The series has been digital only but now it's time for the printed format. Whether you're familiar with the characters of are new to them, you'll be able to jump into this series and become acquainted with a bunch of different characters. There's a lot happening in this comic universe and we also recently spoke with Flynn again about what's coming next in the digital format.

For now, check out the first look at the first issue on sale this week.

NEW CRUSADERS: RISE OF THE HEROES #1

Red Circle Comics presents “Ashes to Ashes” Part One: Our world demands heroes – a new generation must RISE! Over a decade ago, the super hero team known as The Mighty Crusaders did the impossible: they won. Successful in their battle against evil and finding they’d made the world a better place, the heroes settled down to the small town of Red Circle to start families, unwind and take a much-deserved rest. When the quiet town is rocked by the return of the ultimate evil, the super hero residents are obliterated! It’s up to their heirs to fight for justice and crusade against evil. They are our last, best hope. They are: THE NEW CRUSADERS!

Script: Ian Flynn

Art: Ben Bates, Gary Martin, John Workman, and Matt Herms

Cover: Ben Bates

Variant Cover: Ryan Jampole and Matt Herms

Shield Variant Cover: Ben Bates

Sketch Variant Cover: Mike Norton

32-page, full color comic

$2.99 US.

== TEASER ==
Staff
#1 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

wont last 12 issues

#2 Posted by RavenT2 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks interesting. Worth checking out, at least.

#3 Posted by G-Man (30689 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker: Really? Because it's been doing really well since May digitally. So much so that they've launched a second series around the characters.

Staff
#4 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: looks really goofy. and made for kids. thats my opinion on it anyway.

#5 Posted by chalkshark (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

How many times are these characters going to return? Seems like they keep ping-ponging from one company to the next, with the characters being endlessly tweaked or-re-imagined. I gave the last DC version a try... and liked it well enough... but it's just too exhausting to keep up with these characters.

#6 Posted by Dru_zod (212 posts) - - Show Bio

For teenagers it BOMBs ( not in a good way)

But if the audience is younger .....it might surpass The Amazing Spiderman

(yeah........I said it)

''Audience is Everything''......................Kofi Cherry

#7 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

Its looks like it might be fun for kids and maybe there are a few thing that normal comic fans may like. I've never heard of any of them though. Is there anything else that I may need to know it I were to get this. 

#8 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dru_zod: surpass the amazing spider-man?! what a bad joke.

#9 Edited by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

When I saw the first cover I said "Holy, Ryan Stegman."

#10 Posted by mattwing87 (426 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a huge rip off of Marvel characters, terms and stories

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (14474 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I am going to check this out.

#12 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (996 posts) - - Show Bio

it does have a kid friendly feel to the art, but so did Mike Parobeck's stuff back in the day. I like the costume designs and I did follow the characters for a while growing up, so I will give this a try

#13 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

I talked to a pitch guy at the comic con about it, he said its all about how these superheroes are retired, they were created years ago and they have aged accordingly. So if a guy was created over 70 years ago he is over 70 years old in the comic. And its about the next generation of superheroes, their sons and daughters. Its like how everyone is always saying that heroes should age in real time and bring in new characters like in real life. Some comics should be made for adults but readable by kids too, like the old Marvel stuff with Spider-man or Thor. Where the stories are compelling enough that adults want to read it, but child friendly in terms of subject. Like my own comic Monkey Boy. So it sounds interesting to me.

I'd actually like to draw on it some day even.

#14 Posted by Kairan1979 (16712 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, I liked DC version of Red Circle characters Especially The Web.

#15 Posted by sturmritter (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker: "@G-Man: looks really goofy. and made for kids. thats my opinion on it anyway."

Aren't all comics made for kids? (Kids of all ages, anyways :)

#16 Posted by NightFang (9907 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kairan1979 said:

I dunno, I liked DC version of Red Circle characters Especially The Web.

This.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32916 posts) - - Show Bio
@mattwing87 said:

Sounds like a huge rip off of Marvel characters, terms and stories

How so?
#18 Posted by mattwing87 (426 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Shield is just like Captain America and was created by super serum called S.H.I.E.L.D, Web is just like Spider-Man and he is shy and a science geek like Peter Parker, Fireball is just like Human Torch, and Fly Girl is kind of like Wasp except for the size changing.

#19 Posted by Ironhawk22 (320 posts) - - Show Bio

So wait if a comic isn't filled with gore and curse words it's for kids? This looks pretty good, I'll definitley pick up the first issue.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32916 posts) - - Show Bio
@mattwing87 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Shield is just like Captain America and was created by super serum called S.H.I.E.L.D, Web is just like Spider-Man and he is shy and a science geek like Peter Parker, Fireball is just like Human Torch, and Fly Girl is kind of like Wasp except for the size changing.

The Shield first appeared in 1940, that's a full year before Captain America. The Web first appeared in 1942 thats  20 years before Spider-Man turned up. Fireball appeared in 1941 thats also 20 years before the Human Torch. Fly Girl appeared in 1961 that's that's two years before that Wasp. So no, they are not rip-offs.
#21 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks neat.

#22 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks really cool.

#23 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5196 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember the Red Circle comics in the 80s as a kid, something about them appealed to me. This version looks like something Anarctic Press would publish. I'll give it a look.

#24 Posted by Eclipse-32 (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Might be interesting, I'll give it a look.

#25 Posted by TomHunter (30 posts) - - Show Bio

What's wrong if the look of the book appeals to younger kids?? If it keeps them reading comics, how is that bad?

Also, it's a positive that the digital version is strong, isn't it?

Not every title can appeal to every collector. Comics being so narrowly focused for so long is what helped to shrink readership. Digital versions and aiming for several different age groups seem good ways to broaden the appeal.

#26 Edited by nappystr8 (1043 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like they reboot these characters every other year. That being said, this incarnation actually looks really cool and original. It's a shame I can't possibly find the money to spend on a non-essential series right now.

#27 Posted by GalacticPunt (77 posts) - - Show Bio

So DC sold the rights back to Archie? Sounds like things are going well for the books this time around, seems like decent stuff for young readers to start with.

I'm still just about the only person on Earth still holding a candle for the "!mpact Comics" incarnations from the 90's. Particularly the approach to The Black Hood concept: http://www.comicvine.com/black-hood/29-76166/ A hood that curses people to fight injustice, passing from person to person, ruining their lives? Love it.

#28 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

It really is too bad DC no longer has this, but I've always been a fan of Red Circle whether owned by DC or not and find myself intrigued by this ^^

#29 Posted by newworldcomics (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I will definitly be picking this up. I liked the webcomics as well. I was excited when I heard they were bringing this back! I like how they kept everything tied together rather than erasing, revamping, trying to keep things "cool".Those other companies particularly DC act like spoiled kids who lost a game or something. I've followed these books through all of there incarnations. I predict it's gonna be around.