First Look: Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Take a look at some of the interior art!

I can not even begin to tell you how excited I was when I first saw this image, courtesy of DC. While it is only one image without color, it is still enough to get me really excited about the upcoming book! Artist Nicola Scott proves that she can create detailed and elaborate panels that are absolutely fantastic! This page is a perfect showcase of her artistic capabilities! If you are as excited as I am about the upcoming Blackest Night: Wonder Woman three part mini written by Greg Rucka, then you are sure to be impressed by the following image. 

No Caption Provided

Can you identify the various scenes throughout Wonder Woman's history in the image below? Are you looking forward to the upcoming series? The first book is set for release on December 2nd, 2009.

No Caption Provided
BLACKEST NIGHT: WONDER WOMAN #1
Written by Greg Rucka
Art by Nicola Scott
Cover by Greg Horn
Variant cover by Ryan Sook

Fan-favorite writer Greg Rucka returns to chronicle the adventures of the Amazing Amazon in the DC Universe’s darkest hour! Black Lantern Maxwell Lord has risen and he seeks revenge and retribution for his murder at the hands of Diana. Look for unexpected changes to await Wonder Woman in the course of this series as she plays a major role in the War of Light against the Blackest Night.
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. For every 25 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Greg Horn), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by Ryan Sook). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
On sale December 2  
1 of 3 • 32 p
$2.99 US

Can I just say, that Greg Horn cover is to die for!
Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legacy_

Woot Woot!  Looks good, can't wait for the finished product

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

I've been excited for every single Blackest Night tie-in....there may be a lot but every single one is worth it

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Bobby X

That cover is awesome...but where is Max Lord's left arm?
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By No_Name_
@Bobby X: I think behind her head
Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bobby X
@Babs:
OOooh i see it now, that's his left elbow right above her head. Ok now I like it even more lol.  
Gorgeous...which is funny to say about a picture with a decrepid zombie face in it lol.
FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By FoxxFireArt

At least Wonder Woman is gettng a full sized story for her Blackest Night scenario. Unlike Catwoman's single issue.

Almost seems a tad late in the game for such a big player like Wonder Woman to finally be getting her own Blackest Night story. Better late then never. I guess.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnny_spam
@FoxxFireArt:
Well Blackest Night still is far from over so maybe her story needed to be told at this point.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By No_Name_
@FoxxFireArt: My thoughts EXACTLY. She's supposed to be one of the big 3, and Booster Gold gets a Blackest Night book before her? Doesn't seem right.
Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Moomin123
@Closure said:

"Woot Woot!  Looks good, can't wait for the finished product "

Me too. This'll be the first Wonder Woman comic I've ever picked up from a comic shop.
ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArachKnight
@Moomin123:
The first as in the first ever? Um - If you can find it Wonder Woman issue# 32 is pretty Awesome. I strongly, strongly recomend it.
TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TheBug

Nicola Scott's pencils are fantastic.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By FoxxFireArt
@Babs said:

" @FoxxFireArt: My thoughts EXACTLY. She's supposed to be one of the big 3, and Booster Gold gets a Blackest Night book before her? Doesn't seem right. "

I've been thinking about that for some time. I have a theory. Perhaps they felt that if she came in too soon it might diminish the power of the Black Lanterns. When introducing new villains you really want them to seem unstoppable. Makes it more impressive for when the heroes overcome the enemy.

The writers either felt that Wonder Woman was too strong a personality to be so easily overcome by the psychological powers of the Black Lanterns, or they wanted to save her to be the calvary that comes to the rescue of the DC Universe and start the turning of the tide. Perhaps she will discover something at the end of her story to could be a key to victory.

Again, just a theory of mine.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Decept-O

That art is incredible!  Nice to have a female artist render Wonder Woman, along with a female writer on the book.  
Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

hmmm, I may pick this up
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By No_Name_
@Decept-O: It's actually Greg Rucka and not gail on the three part mini
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Finally.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By No_Name_
@aztek the lost said:
" @Babs said:
" @FoxxFireArt: My thoughts EXACTLY. She's supposed to be one of the big 3, and Booster Gold gets a Blackest Night book before her? Doesn't seem right. "
technically speaking Batman never appeared in Blackest Night yet...unless I missed something? "
Blackest Night Batman
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No_Name_
@aztek the lost: I figured that's what you meant. But Dick is the "new Batman" so.. :(
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NightFang3

Love the cover and I can't wait to see what happen's when Lord come's back.

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By 00 Raiser

Looks good. Im ready to see Wonder Woman trash some Black Lanterns

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#23  Edited By SevanGrim
@Bobby X: lol. his elbows on top of her head, and the rest of his arm is down her back pushing her head  into his hand. its a modified chokehold.  
 I cant wait to read this. DC has been doing nothing but right with WW lately, and i love that damn sexy Secret Six art. After seeing Donna in titans, it seem s like she and WW are going to end up bring the strongest, baddest @ssiest characters.
drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By drawme

WOW to the cover. WOW to the pencils.

Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By heroic_warrior76

I always did like Wonder Woman I think I will add this one to my collection.
WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By WW-Fan

nicee i so can't wait :D
Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By hero vs. villian

Greg Horn is such a horrible artist/painter, whatever it is he does. It just looks like junk.

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28  Edited By SilverZeo

So you think that this seires will be about the dead bodies of characters who have been reincarnated?

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Legacy_

I love the cover but Nicola Scott is a hit and miss with me.  I liked her Secret Six but on ocassions her characters look alike due to the nose

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Media_Master

Sweet cover.

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31  Edited By Dr. Detfink

I don't know if it has anything to do with Wonder Woman being one of the big 3 so much as Green Lantern not overlapping with Wonder Woman. We know Batman plays a key role in Blackest Night because Black Hand used Bruce's skull to figure out how to keep the heroes at bay till the Battery could be brought to Earth and Nekron could walk the land of the living again. 

As for the lack of Wonder Woman's inclusion into the hierarchy of DC's more popular heroes there are a few factors:

1. The horrible mishandling of Justice League of America: One way to get people interested in a character is by making them a part of a super hero book. It worked wonders for the Uncanny X-men (see Wolverine) and to a lesser exent other titles. Wonder Woman has been in the JLA but she more or less written like a mannequin. Hell, Power Girl is more popular right now than Wonder Woman thanks to Giffen and Sear's Justice League Europe. I don't think Wonder Woman has to sell her "assets" but there has to be a way to make her more marketable.

2. Bad Mass events like Amazons Attacks: Usually, there's a mass event that helps strengthen a character's importance. For example, the Bat-titles had Batman R.I.P then Batman Reborn, Green Lantern has Blackest Night, and in the near future Superman will have the Earth/New Krypton war. Amazons Attack was the last Wonder Woman centric cross over and was...well, it didn't do wonders for the title itself. 

3. Too Wholesome? I thought Wonder Woman had something going on when she was paired up with Nemesis. Sure he's a flawed jerk but c'mon I mean isn't that how art imitates life? Joking of course. But really, what it meant was Wonder Woman had some kind of a pulse when it came to checking out guys. Now, we're drawn into the title and she's not just a cardboard heroine. Think about superheroes, their relationships are doorways into their character beyond the mask. In many ways they are more important than the slug fests they get into (think Ray Palmer in Identity Crisis, Ralph in 52). I'd like to see more of Diana pursuing the relationship. Gail Simone destroyed the Diana/Nemesis  courtship. I'm curious to see where this goes. One thing's for sure mythology isn't enough. Even Thor gets boring after a while without something going on in his life. Give Diana something to fight for besides, "I'm all about the sisterhood!"