gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

This March, the most bombastic X-Book continues! Marvel is proud to present your first look at AMAZING X-MEN #5, from the critically acclaimed creative team of Jason Aaron and Ed McGuinness! The X-Men have been reunited with their fallen brother Nightcrawler – but how long will the reunion last? Azazel and his fleet of hellish warships are advancing – set to pillage the afterlife for all eternity! Now, Nightcrawler – the most swashbuckling X-Man of all, must once again take up the sword to save the entire universe! And with his team of amazing X-Men at his back, there’s no stopping him! But as the battle for the afterlife commences, one of the X-Men must make the ultimate sacrifice. Don’t miss the next blockbuster issue of the series that has everyone talking when AMAZING X-MEN #5 hits the stands this March!

AMAZING X-MEN (JAN140779)

Written by JASON AARON

Art & Cover ED MCGUINNESS

FOC – 3/03/2014, On-Sale – 3/26/2014

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#1 The Poet  Moderator

I am entertained by this series...

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is pretty much the best X-book right now. Each issue has brought a tear to my eye at some point. Also, love the FireStar/Iceman team up! Just need a spidey cameo to bring me back to Saturday mornings as a child :-)

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That is some nice artwork. Is this series any good? Anyone enjoy it so far? I haven't read it yet.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

So is Nightcrawler heading Amazing X-Men AND x-men Legacy?

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5  Edited By ThePRez

I like those little bamfs

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It's not my favorite X-book at the moment but it is pretty good.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kidchipotle

This book has been really fun and entertaining. Aaron has been doing great things so far on this series. Love the art too. Definitely one of the best x-books going right now.

So is Nightcrawler heading Amazing X-Men AND x-men Legacy Nightcrawler?

They changed the name again again, I believe :\

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

This is pretty much the best X-book right now. Each issue has brought a tear to my eye at some point. Also, love the FireStar/Iceman team up! Just need a spidey cameo to bring me back to Saturday mornings as a child :-)

Just wait until April when Pete gets back, then the magic can happen.

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@gothamred: Pete's coming back? YES I was so tired of the way he's been recently .It'll be nice to have him in a fun book again

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lmothander: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?stockItemID=MAR140730

:)

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anybody else kinda want to see a 'War of the Bamfs' mini series?

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love this book

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That blue bamfs reaction to Warbird is priceless haha. That war of the bamfs image is awesome too

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kivatt

Are the X-Men pirates now? And are they looking for One Piece?

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bladewolf

Love this series!

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@kivatt said:

Are the X-Men pirates now? And are they looking for One Piece?

+1

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#20  Edited By Teerack

Warbird is looking hot o///o

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

warbird and angel, been gone waaay too long, glad they are back. with storm and iceman in wolverine and the x-men they need to do something about diversifying the cast. either have angel and warbird replace them here or in wolverine and the x-men

Avatar image for admiral_ironbeast
Admiral_IronBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amen brother, I loved that show

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CrashBang

This series has been ridiculous fun so far. I hope it carries on for at least as long as Wolverine & The X-Men did.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Awesomesauce

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a fan of the "Heaven and Hell" contrivances. It's just a little too much. I find Comic Book religious type casting a little too juvenile.

That said, glad to see Nightcrawler may be coming back. I found the reunion with Wolverine crawling his way through the cold underbelly of hell to reach his friend a bit much too, but I'm not going to lie, it was touching all the same.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm not a fan of the "Heaven and Hell" contrivances. It's just a little too much. I find Comic Book religious type casting a little too juvenile.

I sort of like how in the MU it's basically like every mythology is true. It's how Thor and Hercules can both be Avengers, because every myth and folktale is based on some weird super-people or conjoining dimension or what have you.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii said:

I sort of like how in the MU it's basically like every mythology is true. It's how Thor and Hercules can both be Avengers, because every myth and folktale is based on some weird super-people or conjoining dimension or what have you.

Well, if that's the case, if they're simply calling "Heaven" and / or "Hell" an alternate dimension type thing then whatever. I think the execution is still a little juvenile. I'm not a religious person. More "spiritual" than religious I guess you can say, so it's not like they're offending my religion or anything like that. And heck, a lot of religion and religious dogma is myth and metaphor anyway. It's just these weird stories where the X-Men are transported to "Heaven" and "Hell" and Kurt is there chilling on a Pirate Ship is just, well, a little too wacky I guess. It's just weird storytelling.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cute lil teleporter's fighting. lol Nice.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Well, if that's the case, if they're simply calling "Heaven" and / or "Hell" an alternate dimension type thing then whatever. I think the execution is still a little juvenile. I'm not a religious person. More "spiritual" than religious I guess you can say, so it's not like they're offending my religion or anything like that. And heck, a lot of religion and religious dogma is myth and metaphor anyway.

Actually, all of it is. They are all myths.

It's just these weird stories where the X-Men are transported to "Heaven" and "Hell" and Kurt is there chilling on a Pirate Ship is just, well, a little too wacky I guess. It's just weird storytelling.

I think of it the way Thor talks about Valhalla as a reward in the afterlife, but since Nightcrawler's a devout Christian (Despite seeing Galactus, the Beyonder, and personally meeting several gods) who loves the Scarlet Pimpernel (despite that his own life has been far more exciting), his Valhalla ends up being like this weirdness.

I do see what you mean, I think, but I can sort of look past it since it makes sense with his character.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McGuinness on art duties may just temp me to pick this up even tho it doesn't look my style.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@oldnightcrawler:

Not going to get into an in depth theological discussion about religion and god ... but you simply do not know that.

Teachings are distorted through time, and a lot was taught through metaphor (which some choose to take literally), but there is a lot more hard proof showing historical figures like Buddha and Jesus were real people - people who might have just figured out what life is all about (or not). But none of us can claim any brand of hard coded truth about religious teachings on a whole being fictional or real. Those who've experienced certain truths as real have no way to share so subjective an experience or prove it as truth (though physicists today are astounded by what the atom and antimatter are revealing).

Thousands (millions over the centuries) have had experiences validating many of the core principles found in many of the world's religious doctrines; i.e. life after death (there is no real death), god - or the concept thereof exists (a benevolent life intelligence behind all life impetus), reincarnation (life is a school and we keep returning till we graduate type thing), karma (do unto others ... ) and etc. All are principles that have stood the test of time in the guise of many different indoctrinated religious texts while certain of the more blatant fallacies fall by the wayside.

Oops. Guess I did kinda go in depth there after all. My bad.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I"m really enjoying this book. I wanted so bad to get back into an X-Men book but the X universe has become so dense and evolved it's hard to find a place to jump in. This book has done it for me I love the humor, and story, the art is great too.

Avatar image for alwaysthebigspoon
AlwaysTheBigSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This book looks way too fun. I think I'll try and jump in and by "try" I mean try to fit it into my budget but doubtful. Guess I'll be trade waiting.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been absolutely loving this series, especially the last two issues with all the X-Men reuniting with Kurt (dat Kurt/Logan bromance). Kinda wondering when and how they break the good news to Cyclops' team or to Colossus, wherever the hell he is now. Maybe in his solo book.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

Not going to get into an in depth theological discussion about religion and god ... but you simply do not know that.

I'm not trying to say I can prove one way or another that there is no god/gods/creator of the Universe (though I do think it's unlikely), I'm just saying that all the stories about him/her/them/it are made up by people, they're all made up by human beings.

Teachings are distorted through time, and a lot was taught through metaphor (which some choose to take literally), but there is a lot more hard proof showing historical figures like Buddha and Jesus were real people - people who might have just figured out what life is all about (or not). But none of us can claim any brand of hard coded truth about religious teachings on a whole being fictional or real. Those who've experienced certain truths as real have no way to share so subjective an experience or prove it as truth (though physicists today are astounded by what the atom and antimatter are revealing).

There's some evidence of those characters having been based on actual figures, but it's hardly irrefutable and has been deemed as either speculative or wishful thinking by many others. To me it's inconclusive at best. So, while we may never know the actual truth behind these stories, we can neither cast aside that they are extremely unlikely, more than likely symbolic, and by that nature, that they are stories.

I think you make a great point that there are great truths to be found in singular, subjective experiences and the symbolic resonance they evoke, and perhaps a truth is worth more than a fact, but a thing can be true (or contain some truth) and still not be a fact.

Thousands (millions over the centuries) have had experiences validating many of the core principles found in many of the world's religious doctrines; i.e. life after death (there is no real death), god - or the concept thereof exists (a benevolent life intelligence behind all life impetus), reincarnation (life is a school and we keep returning till we graduate type thing), karma (do unto others ... ) and etc. All are principles that have stood the test of time in the guise of many different indoctrinated religious texts while certain of the more blatant fallacies fall by the wayside.

When we look at the history of religious dogma, generally we see a set of primarily pragmatic rules that people agree to follow under the pretense of an explanation for something that makes sense only in that it is conceivable when no better data is available.

Religious dogma persists because people want to believe that there is order to the world, that it is inherently wrong for someone to kill you, or that when you die your life isn't really over, or that if you're in love with someone they should always be there for you, because these are things we want to believe. And, hey, no harm, no fowl.

But I do think it's worth considering that these types of principals, while meant to give us a sense of security and even harmony in our lives, are the same ideas that have over time come to shape our definitions of right and wrong, back to the foundations of all of our laws, and thus all contain some moral justification for what is essentially a socializing agent. Even the idea of what constitutes a sin or vice is based on what is either useful or superfluous to a given society, rather than what it means to an individual necessarily, and that's still something that shapes our sense of morality now. So by trying to bring order to the world, religious thought has imposed order at least as much if not more than it has revealed it.

As societies have changed, they've reexamined which of these rules are still pragmatic and seen that many are either impractical in today's world or based on a classist agenda to begin with. Why would we discard those notions but not be able to let go of the implausible, subjective nature of of the stories that they are based on?

I mean, some people will argue that there's a historical basis for Dracula as well, but we all still consider vampires to be creatures of myth, despite whatever symbolic truth they represent for us that has made them withstand the test of time.