• 70 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

As many of you are well aware, the upcoming Marvel NOW! initiative is allowing the company’s staple writers and artists to play creative musical chairs with Marvel’s tentpole characters. One such example of this is Brian Michael Bendis taking over writing duties on his first ever X-book – All-New X-Men.

Marvel.com has gone live with a preview of the book’s first issue, with art by Stuart Immonen. The preview is not colored, nor lettered, but it is beautiful. The series will see the original X-MenCyclops, Marvel Girl, Ice Man, Angel and Beast – travel to present day and see just what the future holds for the mutant race. In the fallout of Avengers vs. X-Men, things are not looking too good.

Written by: Brian Michael Bendis

Art and cover by: Stuart Immonen

It’s a blast from the past as the original five students of Professor X – Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel and Beast – are plucked from the past and brought to the present. But what they find, the state that their future selves are in and the state of Xavier’s dream, is far from the future they dreamed of. And how will the X-Men of the present deal with their past coming crashing forward?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

On Sale November 7

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

Staff
#1 Posted by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

sigh I hate the idea of this book but I just know I'm going to end up reading it. :/

#2 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

somebody already posted it

#3 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

Stuart Immonen is the man! This is going to be such a beautiful book.

#4 Posted by G-Man (34325 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker: This is on the news page. It reaches a completely different audience as well.

Staff
#5 Posted by DADDY_XERO (68 posts) - - Show Bio

although the art does look good. the book is gonna suck on a whole. imo

#6 Edited by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

since 2011 or 2010 marvel has released a new book. in 2010 it was what x-men volume 4, this year it was x-treme x-men and now all new x-men. ugh.

#7 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

Check out Beast looking like a damn boss.

#8 Edited by feargalr (1163 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't know what to make of this series... Wait and see I guess.. but Bendis gave us Spider-Men so I'll stay optimistic.

#9 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we going to be seeing Original beast and furry beast? or is it just a cover of old school pre fur beast?

#10 Posted by Renchamp (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

What makes the old X-Men think that this future will be their future for sure with all those splinter universes existing? This seems like a reverse What If? idea.

#11 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care what anyone says..this book is gonna be awesome! The original five coming to the present to see how effed' up their counterparts are. (minus Bobby) this is going to be great

#12 Edited by The Stegman (24428 posts) - - Show Bio
@EdwardWindsor: I think old school beast, is the one with the glasses on in the panel,(kinda looks like Clark Kent) that's why they're showing them confronting one another.
#13 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to picking it up

#14 Posted by brucecapell (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Immonen's art is awesome

#15 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: good point its not a rebbot as previously guessed but it does beg the question what are they going to do with two cyclops , two iceman , two angels and two beasts.

#16 Posted by antemiusenteri (239 posts) - - Show Bio

i bet 5 bucks Cyclops is still gonna be a douche in that book too

#17 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a tough time keeping up with X-Men, but this looks like an interesting idea. Could be a good jumping on point as they might need to sum things up...

#18 Posted by sora_thekey (8175 posts) - - Show Bio

I am actually really excited to read this book. I once read Brian Michael Bendis' rejected script for the Ultimate X-Men series back in 2002 (I think). Bendis' ideas and interpretation of the characters and feel to the team were really good... Now I can't wait to read his grasp on the First Class team.

@antemiusenteri said:

i bet 5 bucks Cyclops is still gonna be a douche in that book too

If you're right, I really hope that young Scott from the past lets him know how much of a douche he is.

@the_fallen11 said:

I don't care what anyone says..this book is gonna be awesome! The original five coming to the present to see how effed' up their counterparts are. (minus Bobby) this is going to be great

Not so sure past Bobby will like to hear that present Bobby dated Mystique.

#19 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, I'm kind of optimistic here! Let's see...

#20 Posted by Mutant God (3022 posts) - - Show Bio

I just cant get past of how much the premise bothers me and the fact this is replacing Uncanny X-men

#21 Posted by borges (65 posts) - - Show Bio
@EdwardWindsor: There's an upside to the whole thing, having duplicates opens up a self-reflexive dialogue. If Bendis is able to incorporate this into the storyline intelligibly, well, I'm sure we shall be in for a treat.
#22 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope past Hank calls future Hank a hypocrite and makes him cry.

#23 Posted by The Stegman (24428 posts) - - Show Bio
@EdwardWindsor: Well, I never thought it was going to be a reboot, it seems like a relaunch if anything, and I really have no idea where this title is headed...or if I'm gonna like it or not.
#24 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Its gonna be awkward when present day scott tells jean how she died. and when present day beast tells old beast why hes blue. Tis is going to be quite an awkward series.

#25 Posted by The_Diamond_Prince (66 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually pretty excited about this. And is that Pixie in the background....hmmm.

#26 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this looks good...lots of potential here

#27 Posted by SlamAdams (300 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Kamikaze said:

Check out Beast looking like a damn boss.

This is one of the best cat-beasts I have seen in awhile

#28 Edited by waruikumo (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel this is a bad idea as an open ended series.

Althought Bendis has yet to do me wrong.

#29 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

They are going to eventually go back to the past without the memory of this world right?

@sora_thekey said:

@the_fallen11 said:

Not so sure past Bobby will like to hear that present Bobby dated Mystique.

I'm pretty sure past Bobby probably doesn't even know who Mystique is. Well maybe. Idk. lol

#30 Posted by FinnVarra (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds remarkable similar to a recent issue of X-Force.

#31 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

The concept of this series says to me that the fates of some of these present day characters are really up for grabs.

#32 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds dumb.

#33 Posted by Metron144 (102 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't know why they just didn't do another first class run. Porting the original five to now and calling it "all new" seems so ridiculously stupid to me.

#34 Posted by Crowingaboutcomics (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually looking forward to this if there is as much interaction between these younger ones and present day as it looks like...hopefully, they won't go off on their own - because I think the potential for drama is fantastic. While Marvel is saying that these are the same very ones...it almost seems like their delving into alternative pasts/futures thing - which we've seen before so I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about having two of each character...In the last decade we have those evil ones...(which last I knew were still around so technically there should be three of each character) not to mention Extreme X-Men/Exiles. The art looks great, and I'm actually a fan of Bendis. His writing can get sloppy, being filled with two many snarky comments that isn't in character to everyone, but it's tight with overall script and plots...so, if he tones down the snarky comments...

#35 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

sigh I hate the idea of this book but I just know I'm going to end up reading it. :/
#36 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@antemiusenteri: No one will take that bet, it's a foregone conclusion. That's like betting that people breathe air.

#37 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked how present day Warren had a memory wipe and it was a clever (rare for Marvel) way of making a 40 year old comic character new, but now it's redundant (typical for Marvel) because we've got the past Warren here and there won't be that much difference between them, and I thought the point of this comic was to show how different the past and present X-men are. But what do I know, It's not like Marvel would stop being redundant when it's worked for them for years.

At least having the original Beast brings hope that he'll prevent the stupid, STUPID lion incident! I really hate the lion look.

#38 Edited by The_Grey_Queen (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping something like this would happen in the First to Last series. i can't wait to read this!!!!

#39 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio
@borges Good point.
@The Stegman Yeah I have to say it's interesting me what he have seen so far
#40 Posted by Grey56 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

@Metron144: I hadn't realized that they were mirroring the film until you said this. Now my malcontent is complete.

For all of you whom are planning on perpetuating this garbage - hopefully you come around quickly. It is beyond me why any adult comic fan would creatively endorse the notion of what is being peddled here.

#41 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

This wasn't exactly what I wanted when I heard return of Jean, but I'll check it out.

#42 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (430 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't meeting your self in the future something that could tear the time-space continuum apart? lets see this is happening in November... So I guess the Mayans were pretty close about the world ending this year.

On a more serious note, that's got to be a big culture shock to the young, innocent x-team to find out the things they will go through. Jean dies, Warren gets maimed then turned evil then fixed but with an obvious change in appearance and attitude, Hank hardly even resembles a human anymore (making his original code name rather ominous) And Scott turns into a world class tool.

However, some good can come from this. If nothing else, Scott running into his young, idealistic self may be the kick in the pants he needs to get his act together and start being a hero again. If that isn't enough I'm sure the shocked look young Jean will have when she sees what he has become will do he trick.

#43 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

I might actually get this if the arts going to be so good. But cancelling Uncanny X-men come on!

#44 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6360 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the scenario I feel coming on:

Marvel: "Well, we really pushed Scott Summers out of character so much in recent years, and especially throughout AvX, that the only way to clean up after ourselves and make him a wholesome hero again, is to kill him off at the end of AvX, take his past 'boyscout' self, carry him into the future to clean up the spilled milk his Phoenix possessed future self made.

"Additionally, the only way to bring Jean back for the 1000th time, without completely destroying the potency of the original death of saga, is to bring her forward from the past!

"Hurray for us"

Bleh. I'll pass on this unless the writing is 'just that good' (the art looks very promising). The original 5 are so boring and uninspired that they should really stay in the 1960's where they belong IMHO.

#45 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm reading this purely to see how the characters from the past react to what has happened to everything in the future... especially that first pic. It's going to be awesome. (I hope)

#46 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a shame that Stuart Immonen couldn't work on something necessary and with someone who wasn't Bendis.

#47 Posted by jorgeareizaga (301 posts) - - Show Bio

MARVEL BRING BACK JEAN GREY NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

AWEsome

#49 Posted by Umbraa (915 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Soldier, I don't think Scott is going to die. At least Axel Alonso hinted at that, saying he would meet Jean and there is a third group yet to be shown...it's a rather big cast.

#50 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Gosh I'm so loving that cover...feels so retro. And isn't it interesting how Hank looks human still on the cover, yet in the book we're obviously looking at a more current feral Beast? O_o Still, I'm intrigued!