Posted by G-Man (29393 posts) - - Show Bio

We've been seeing a lot of Hawkman lately in the New 52. Having been called to aid the Justice League during the Throne of Atlantis storyline, we've also seen he'll be recruited into Steve Trevor and Amanda Waller's JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA team.

Carter Hall is still dealing with finding out more about the Thangarian tech that's been popping up. Unfortunately he's about to meet an a former adversary from his pre-New 52 days.

Check out this exclusive preview courtesy of DC Comics.

THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #17

• THE SHADOW THIEF makes his first appearance in The New 52!
• Hawkman’s mission to uncover the secrets of Thanagarian weapons on Earth leads him into the path of a deadly of Xerxes!

Written by: Tom DeFalco

Art by: Joe Bennett, Art Thibert

Cover by: Joe Bennett, Art Thibert

Color/B&W: Color

Page Count: 32

U.S. Price: 2.99

On Sale Date: Feb 27 2013

== TEASER ==
Staff
#1 Posted by Grey56 (681 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always liked Hawkman - truly. He's just lacked some Rogues who make his stories more compelling. Wish it were not the case.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56 said:

I have always liked Hawkman - truly. He's just lacked some Rogues who make his stories more compelling. Wish it were not the case.

Yea I wish DC had tried a bit harder with Hawkman.

#3 Posted by Grey56 (681 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: And the innate qualities with Hawkman make it easy to tell stories about a very aggressive, gritty guy who moves beyond Bruce or Clark or even Hal - he's very different from them and with any effort DC could have a built in supply of Rogues that could make for compelling stories.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: And the innate qualities with Hawkman make it easy to tell stories about a very aggressive, gritty guy who moves beyond Bruce or Clark or even Hal - he's very different from them and with any effort DC could have a built in supply of Rogues that could make for compelling stories.

exactly

#5 Posted by dondave (26541 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice preview

#6 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

After just reading the small segment about him in JLA I would have definitely started to pick this book up. Too bad it's getting canceled.

#7 Edited by dontbelievethehyperion (38 posts) - - Show Bio

DC never knows what to do with Hawkman. Too bad because he's a great character. So much untapped potential.

This series has been terrible. I dropped it a couple months ago and haven't looked back.

#8 Posted by Grey56 (681 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Jon - you are awesome. That is all.

#9 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56: A sentiment I agree with quite a bit. That and his origin has always been tweaked too much but what can you do.

#10 Posted by GothamRed (2561 posts) - - Show Bio

We're running with the shadows of the night

#11 Posted by Grey56 (681 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O: Hopefully complain enough where DC pays attention to us one of these days. That and show support with dollars when they do a decent story with him. Ah well.

#12 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56: Agreed.

#13 Posted by Moby (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy this comic book is still around but I thought this series was cancelled?

#14 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11703 posts) - - Show Bio

spoiler: The New Shadow Thief is a woman

#15 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

@Moby said:

I'm happy this comic book is still around but I thought this series was cancelled?

Getting cancelled. It will have a couple more issues.

#16 Posted by cbishop (6301 posts) - - Show Bio

Would've been cool to see some actual Shadow Thief in this preview. :/

I don't mind the helmet so much, but that claw-shield think looks kind of ridiculous.

Overall, I miss the Hawkman they had going in the last series, that spun out of JSA.

#17 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1747 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised that Hawkman can fly with all that clunky looking equipment. The mask/helmet used to be more smooth looking, the boots look like they weigh 60 pounds each, and that claw gaunlet thing! How can Hawkman even get off the ground, let alone manuever properly.

#18 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

I'm surprised that Hawkman can fly with all that clunky looking equipment. The mask/helmet used to be more smooth looking, the boots look like they weigh 60 pounds each, and that claw gaunlet thing! How can Hawkman even get off the ground, let alone manuever properly.

Do you not know about Nth metal??? That is Hawkman's whole gimmick.

#19 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Its really too bad its getting cancelled...so much potential just not taken with this. Oh well, JLA here Carter Hall comes!

#20 Posted by Catsnlynne (904 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish Hawkman wasn't getting canceled.

#21 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1747 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123: Of course I know about Nth Metal! My point is, does it have to be all bulky like that? I like my heroes having a streamline look, that's all.

#22 Posted by Answerman (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@Catsnlynne: I'm right there with ya.

The saddest part of the New 52 Hawkman series is that it really didn't get good until the Liefeld team came on board, but because it was Liefelds name attached I couldn't get people I knew to pick it up.

Having Liefeld do the cover art was probably even worse than attaching his name to the series.

A few good things came out of this series: the return of Katar Hol, and the re-invention of the Thanagarians as a race that once possessed wings.

It just makes so much more sense out of the Thanagarians using wings rather than more sleek anti-gravity devices.

I also love that Hawkmans Nth metal and wings are a part of him again as it was the best part about the last version of Katar we had.

I also love that with Katar back Carter Hall can be re-introduced over in the Earth-2 book, and minus all that messed up continuity!

Although it is sad that Hawkman was supposed to have had a superhero career before this series began and yet there has been no reference to it what so ever...

#23 Posted by Answerman (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick: Hawkman being a bare chested non-ranged combatant makes more sense with that buckler on his forearm, and with the Nth Metal rendering everything weightless although it might be a tad more bulky it wouldn't effect his mjovements at all.

I like the new look frankly, and I'm a life long Hawkman fan!

#24 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (4969 posts) - - Show Bio

The wrath of Rob Liefail strikes on Deathstroke and Hawkeye!

#25 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Answerman: Well, if you, a life long fan, like it. Then it doesn't matter what I think since I could take Hawkman or leave him

#26 Posted by KnightofSteel (206 posts) - - Show Bio

This was always a series that was hit and miss for me. Now I hear it's going to be canceled I have no motivation whatsoever to continue buying it. Cool cover to this issue though.

#27 Edited by JV (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@Answerman: I have really enjoyed the Fank Tieri run. I thought the storyline involving the Thanagarians has been good. I enjoy the style of fighting that Hawkman uses as it differs so much from the JL team.

Made a typo on my previous post, not Leifeld, I meant Tieri.....

#28 Posted by Answerman (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@JV: the Tieri run is tied to the Liefeld run man, so it wasn't really a mistake. Tieri was the writer that came on as part of the Liefeld crew.

If Liefeld is good at one thing its selecting solid creative teams.

As long as he stays away from anything other than plotting its usually pretty solid.