Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

SILVER SURFER #3

(W) Dan Slott (A) Michael Allred, Laura Allred

• Any old heroes can save the day. The Surfer and Dawn are out to save the day AFTER.

• As everything goes kablooey, find out why the fate of every possible tomorrow rests... in a wind-up toy monkey.

• No. Really. One of those creepy things with the cymbals.

• Also, after 48 years in comics, one of the most under appreciated characters in the entire Marvel Universe FINALLY gets a name. Have your handbooks ready!

Item Code: MAR140654 In Shops: 6/18/2014 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

This just really isn't what I want in a Silver Surfer book.

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I cannot put into words how much i am uninterested in this... What do we think? 12 issues?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This book is so weird.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so weird hahahaha very funny. weird indeed. lol

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I love it. Can't wait to pick this up. Battlejack may be dead, but his presence lives on.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too bad some people just want the same old stuff time after time after time. This has been a great and different story involving the Surfer. Huzzah, I say!

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By feedonatreefrog

It's 'fun'.

Give it 5/5, right?!

Avatar image for unpopularkarama
unpopularkarama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: I follow wherever the Allreds go. And I like Dan Slott a lot. Never have been into Silver Surfer guy, but I have been digging it so far.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Normally this type of series would be right up my alley, but I'm just not feeling it, which is weird considering the creative team.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the throwback style artwork. I generally have a 5 issue rule, every series I pick up I try to give it 5 issues to draw me in because I recognize some series build slower than others.....take Uncanny Avengers for instance, it started out pretty boring.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by medulaoblaganda - June 11, 2014 at 9:37 PM

so weird hahahaha very funny. weird indeed. lol

Posted by Overlander - June 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I love it. Can't wait to pick this up. Battlejack may be dead, but his presence lives on.

Posted by G-Man - June 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM

It's too bad some people just want the same old stuff time after time after time. This has been a great and different story involving the Surfer. Huzzah, I say!

^^THESE^^

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@g_man said:

I kind of get what some people mean. Silver Surfer doesn't seem to have had an ongoing recently(unless I'm mistaken), and doesn't have as many solo appearances as some of the bigger characters. I wonder if this creative team would be a little better received if he was a constantly in print character like Daredevil, Iron Man, etc. Kind of like, I might have been more open to Filipe Andrade drawing Carol Danvers if she'd had more solo appearances previously.

Anyway, enjoying the series so far, and the preview looks good to me, as a non-Silver Surfer reader. :)

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sparty-dbq

@munkiekong: Actually, the first issue was like, the 7th or 8th best selling comic of the month. Overall, I mean, not just Marvel. Don't know what the second did, but I doubt this will be on the cancellation bubble anytime soon.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@munkiekong: Actually, the first issue was like, the 7th or 8th best selling comic of the month. Overall, I mean, not just Marvel. Don't know what the second did, but I doubt this will be on the cancellation bubble anytime soon.

Yeah, #1 Sold 64,919, and #2 sold 39,132. It had a similar first to second issue drop as Black Widow, so it seem that it could be evened out at about 35,000 by #5.

No Caption Provided

Between #3 and #4 there was a 2.66% drop, and from #4 to #5, a 1.18% drop. If we were to say that the series would experience a 2% drop every issue after #5, up to #12 would sell:
#6 26,514

#7 25,984

#8 25,464

#9 24,955

#10 24,456

#11 23,967

#12 23,488

So if Silver Surfer was selling 8,000 more copies, #12 would be selling 31,488, which is a good bit higher than the 20,000 point that we hear is the danger point for consideration to be cancelled.

This is all just speculation of course, and titles can be cancelled for reasons other than sales. It seems like it should be safe for a while though. :)

Sorry if I went over the top maths-wise.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZbvmX

Adi Granov's cover is awesome! But storywise, I would just like to skip all issues 'til Shumie's guest appearance here.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I read the first two issues but it's very clear that this book isn't aimed at me. Looks like I'll be waiting longer for that great Silver Surfer book.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: What would you like to be done differently? Just curious as a non-fan who's reading this series.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: Totally different tone, more hard sci fi rather than the more cartoony stuff, Surfer also reads as slightly out of character. It reads like Waid has sacrificed the identity of a SIlver Surfer book so he can write a Dr Who book like he wanted.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Fair enough. I'm kind of surprised they didn't go with a tone like that, seeing as he had that digital one shot that I hear(didn't read it) was more serious than his current series. I'd wondered at the time if it would be a springboard for a new ongoing.

I'm not a big Doctor Who watcher, but I think I get what you mean.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Fair enough. I'm kind of surprised they didn't go with a tone like that, seeing as he had that digital one shot that I hear(didn't read it) was more serious than his current series. I'd wondered at the time if it would be a springboard for a new ongoing.

I'm not a big Doctor Who watcher, but I think I get what you mean.

You mean the Infinity digital tie in? Yeah that's more like what I want from a Silver Surfer comic. And I agree with what you said to G-Man that this series would be a lot easier to swallow if Silver Surfer had been exposed as much as someone like Spider-Man, Wolverine or even Iron Man so that there had been tons of stories told that were similar and a new direction was needed but there has only ever been 3 Surfer ongoings and a few mini's, it's not like he has ever been an overplayed character.

Slott said he took direct inspiration from Dr Who for this book.

Tiamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was... different.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Last issue wasn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped. I enjoy Allred so much but I think I am going to mark this book as a possible drop. I can't get invested enough into this story to excuse the expense. I'll push for the end of this story arc and hope things get better.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#25 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Silver Surfer doesn't get enough title action, so I'm more interested in 'new' than I am 'different.'

That being said, it's better than I was expecting, but still not what I'd like. Slott doesn't capture the Surfer's character or tone, this hipster girl who's worn the same outfit her whole life does not act natural and the character designs are weird. I do like the concept of the Never Queen and the art is growing on me though.