• 119 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Deathstroke is a killer. He's not one to mess around. He had the nickname 'The Terminator.' If there's one thing the current DEATHSTROKE series is not short on, it's violence and action. DC Comics has given us an exclusive first look at issue #3.

No Caption Provided
Still reeling from the Harmory job, Deathstroke seeks answers from a super villain arms manufacturer. But when Slade storms the weapon maker's fortress, he finds himself face to face with a new threat known only as "Legacy" and a plot to manipulate Slade that runs far deeper than he could ever have imagined!
== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DEATHSTROKE #3 is on sale November 9, 2011 with a $2.99 price tag.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I get that Deathstroke is "the ultimate badass," but can the action take a backseat just for a bit so we can get some plot and character development the reader can enjoy?

Despite that, I'm still going to pick it up. I'm a sucker for popcorn entertainment, but I'd really like to see this series expand into something more than "SLAUGHTERFEST, SLADE IS AWESOME" per issue.

Avatar image for batflasharrow96
batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By batflasharrow96

I LOVE this series. It feels like All Star Batman done right. I can't get enough of Deathstroke chopping people up.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By KainScion

like the new look, not really digging the stories.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Adnan

I really REALLY like the covers this title has been getting. The stories themselves aren't really my cup of tea though.

MrRagePants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrRagePants

I'm getting the feel of Super Patriot #2 (or was it #1 when he was being tested by the Covenant).

fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fitchy101

@k4tzm4n said:

I get that Deathstroke is "the ultimate badass," but can the action take a backseat just for a bit so we can get some plot and character development the reader can enjoy?

Despite that, I'm still going to pick it up. I'm a sucker for popcorn entertainment, but I'd really like to see this series expand into something more than "SLAUGHTERFEST, SLADE IS AWESOME" per issue.

I agree but It is nice to have one book with not much plot and a lot of decapitation.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ReVamp

Is it just me or is that second page clunky as sh*t? Also, I'm not digging the shoulder pads. They're too big towards the back.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8  Edited By Outside_85

I hope this guy lasts longer than Road Kill (Rage?) who was gone before he got started. And yes, it would be nice to see Slade with a plan rather than playing rl God of War.

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By fury714

It's all about the gore baby.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Oh my gosh! He cuts off a guys head, cuts another guy in half and smashes a guys head with his boot!

Remember when they used to have to obscure that stuff, or make the blood green or black to tone it down?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#11  Edited By The Impersonator

Legacy looks cool.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Iron_Turtle

I'm going to be dropping this title unless the writing picks up soon. This issue looks like it's going to exactly the same as the previous two issues.

"I R Deathstroke, I R Badass!"

"LOL U R old news, I R bigger badass"

"LOL, U R dead. Cos I R Deathstroke LOL"

ZORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ZORN

"Look at me I'm a badass" the book, It doesn't bother me much, but even with art depicting his actions with little to no words, it still gives me the feeling they are telling me he's one instead of showing me if that makes any sense.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

this is why i really wanted to read the new 52 because of introducing new villains! or more characters (not sure who really is the villain in here lol)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#15  Edited By Teerack

Should look more like deadpool.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
Higgins, you continue to disappoint me.
doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By doordoor123

Penance?

@Morpheus_ said:

Why? This series has been awesome! One of the best of the relaunch.

@Iron_Turtle said:

I'm going to be dropping this title unless the writing picks up soon. This issue looks like it's going to exactly the same as the previous two issues.

When does he say that? Give me proof. Even something remotely similar to that.

@fitchy101 said:

@k4tzm4n said:

I agree but It is nice to have one book with not much plot and a lot of decapitation.

But there is a plot. And I find it pretty interesting. It has a little plot and a lot of pizzaz. This books is most definitely for people who like action and a character that often changes sides for his own benefit.

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bluefox170

@Iron_Turtle said:

@ZORN said:

"Look at me I'm a badass" the book, It doesn't bother me much, but even with art depicting his actions with little to no words, it still gives me the feeling they are telling me he's one instead of showing me if that makes any sense.

@Morpheus_ said:

Those who complain about too much action in a strategist story have no patience. Higgins said everything Slade does and IS doing plays a role in a larger underlying story. Everyone is quick to hate on the badass killing when that in itself is what was needed to establish this books introduction. Slades effin pissed, no one respects him anymore for what he does. So lay down so Higgins can read you a bed time story. Nah, thats not where this is going. Slade is re-establishing himself as the greatest mercenary in the DC Universe. All the killing, being broadcasted on the news worldwide as of issue 2. Was to get his name out there. NOW we are ready to kick the story into full gear with #3. Same for his Nightwing #3. Higgins said this is where his stories will begin to become much more thematic.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThexX

Deathstroke + blood & gore = Badass. I love this title, Deathstroke is back and better than ever

Judge_Dredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Judge_Dredd

@MrRagePants: Agreed, Superpatriot is badass as hell.

HumanNumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HumanNumber

This Deathstroke series is everything i expected and that's a good thing. He's been completely unstoppable until now and it will be nice to see him challenged.

kylehiggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kylehiggins

Hey guys-- while issues 1 and 2 are quite heavy on the action and lighter on character, there's a reason for that. Issue 3 starts bringing everything together, including Slade's motivation and reasoning behind killing for money and the "big, flashy violence" that he prefers. At the same time, every action has consequences, and they start popping up here...

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bluefox170

Kyle Higgins Tweets:

"Here's a preview from Deathstroke 3, though it contains none of the things that make issue 3 The best yet"

"I wish they would have given a preview of the first 3 pages, when Deathstroke talks aboutWHY he kills for money... What it means to him."

This is where your thematic story begins people.. With the philosophy behind the Terminator himself.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Bluefox170 said:

Those who complain about too much action in a strategist story have no patience. Higgins said everything Slade does and IS doing plays a role in a larger underlying story. Everyone is quick to hate on the badass killing when that in itself is what was needed to establish this books introduction. Slades effin pissed, no one respects him anymore for what he does. So lay down so Higgins can read you a bed time story. Nah, thats not where this is going. Slade is re-establishing himself as the greatest mercenary in the DC Universe. All the killing, being broadcasted on the news worldwide as of issue 2. Was to get his name out there. NOW we are ready to kick the story into full gear with #3. Same for his Nightwing #3. Higgins said this is where his stories will begin to become much more thematic.

Simply because I disapprove of the way Deathstroke is written, it doesn't mean I'm into bed time stories. Strong characterisation though, much like Higgins does in Nightwing, which is by no means short on action, either, would be preferable to this approach. I'm not hating on the badass factor. I'm pleased with the way Higgins portrays Slade's powerset and showcases the character. But I got tired of seeing him beating on fodder practically non-stop without real insight to Slade himself. That's the real deal: Slade isn't awesome just because he can beat Batman to a pulp, fight a slew of super heroes and give them a run for their money, or be the greatest strategic mind in the world. He's awesome because of the tormented, noble warrior that  lies within (or used to lie qwithin, I'll give you that in the mid-00s they stopped using that character in favour of the mad supervillain). Also, this may be a quirk of mine, but I keep comparing Nightwing to Deathstroke because Higgins does such a great job there. And the relaunch was a great opportunity of taking Slade back to his roots as opposed to the stone cold killer he had been reduced to.
MyronLee26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MyronLee26

I really hate Deathstroke's new armored look. SMH

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bluefox170

@Morpheus_: Well said. I like your your wording of "tormented, noble warrior that lies within" I think your interests will be in good hands though with what he just posted here. Perhaps you will grow to like the explanation behind the terminator in this issue. when you read through his motivation and reasoning.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Bluefox170: I'll stick to the title through thick and thin. I love Deathstroke, and I was much too young when his first on-going hit the stands, so I'm behind this. Hopefully you're right and we'll get more about Slade himself come this issue and further down the line.
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Decept-O

Daaammn..plenty of slicing and dicing...

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bluefox170

@Morpheus_: No doubt, I personally have faith in Kyle with this book. From what I've read so far and seen personally he understands the character more than almost anyone I know. Slade's evolution more than anything. Higgins knows what he's doing, it's all part of the plan. It'll be evident next week, I bet you'll find the noble side of Slade you love from the 80's/ 90's within the first 3 pages and why it's not his most evident characteristic anymore. I'll follow you and see if you have any other thoughts later on.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I don't believe being let down by the lack of development with Slade in the first two issues necessarily makes one impatient, especially when (as Morph says) he did it so well in Nightwing, and we see the same taking place in other titles. I'm sticking with the book, but comics aren't exactly a cheap hobby, so if someone is looking for depth it's more than understandable if they're turned off from the title based on the first two efforts.

Scribbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scribbles

Legacy looks like Annihilus impregnated Penance while Klaw was filming it.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Bluefox170 said:

@Morpheus_: No doubt, I personally have faith in Kyle with this book. From what I've read so far and seen personally he understands the character more than almost anyone I know.

Cool. Based on his interviews in various sites, he seemed mostly acquainted with the more modern Deathstroke as opposed to the classic version, and I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to see the character resembling that again. Not necessarily to the extent Marv Wolfman did it, mind you -- I love the guy, but I think kinda overdid it in order to make Slade a full fledged anti-hero, or even flat out hero --  but close.

Higgins knows what he's doing, it's all part of the plan. It'll be evident next week, I bet you'll find the noble side of Slade you love from the 80's/ 90's within the first 3 pages and why it's not his most evident characteristic anymore. I'll follow you and see if you have any other thoughts later on.

Sounds good, always nice to talk to fellow Deathstroke fans.
Halle Romanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Halle Romanova

Higgins is easily one of my new favorite writers.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know i was kind of new to the charcter and wasnt really introduced to him til the teen titans show but ive always felt that Deathstroke the terminator was kind of overkill for me I like the fact that the teen titans show used the name Slade instead of Deathstroke simply because again the name snds overkill for me but maybe its just me bc Slade just sounds so much cooler

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bluefox170

@k4tzm4n: But the thing is that there is no lack of development. To many readers it might seem that way. They only see what is given to them without digging deeper into the psychology that is Slade Wilson. And hence I get you when you say they can be turned off. However, what they are looking for is right under their noses. Like Kyle Higgins himself Stated a few spaces Up/Down.

"Hey guys-- while issues 1 and 2 are quite heavy on the action and lighter on character, there's a reason for that. Issue 3 starts bringing everything together, including Slade's motivation and reasoning behind killing for money and the "big, flashy violence" that he prefers. At the same time, every action has consequences, and they start popping up here..."

Everything from issue one and two was development in itself even though there was not enough dialogue to satisfy some people. A picture is worth a thousand words. And those pictures of motivation and reason are being brought together into a thematic scrapbook of revelations right here in issue 3 to shape up what we'll know as Deathstroke the Terminator.

I'm pretty Psyched that your sticking to the book though for sure K4tz

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow, seems very Doc Ock'ish to me, this Legacy character. Still, all that aside, it sure is nice to see Slade in his kick-@$$ element!

B_Heart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By B_Heart

Loving me this new Deathstroke series

MoodyKingMoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38  Edited By MoodyKingMoron

It's really awesome that Kyle Higgins leaves the character development for Nightwing and the good stupid fun for Deathstroke. Higgins set out to do exactly what he said for Deathstroke.

Make Slade Wilson a huge badass.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SmoothJammin

All I want to know is when Higgins two characters will meet face to face!? I get goosebumps just thinking about it..

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By shawn87

I hope we get some story rather than pointless action

Avatar image for marshal_victory
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Marshal Victory

Nice biz cover!Wish for Lobo series now after seeing that.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By goldenkey

Im surpised at just how much I like this book. It set the tone for what we should be seeing DS portrayed at. Merciless, remoarsless, and a badass. Im looking forward to more of an actual lenghty story now. How come I haven't seen a Stormwatch review yet?? I put it in my top 3 of the new 52 so far, and the art is insane.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RScottH08

@Morpheus_: @Bluefox170: Man, feels good just to see some good old fashions fans, we need more passion in the industry as a whole.

Now, personally I think its great, sure maybe a tad overdone on action in the first two, but thats not exactly a bad thing. I also think people aren't really listening to the character development being done outside the comic. Such as Kyle's continued comments and descriptions of Slade as a whole, it really does show how much he is truly putting into his character. Not to mention all the statements of the potential and inevitable Nightwing crossover, that in itself is just genuis in promoting both his books.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Eyz

Sounds like a decent book for Deathstroke. Much better than his Titans book previously, for sure!

The Dude.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The Dude.

Looks very over the top, kinda reminds me of Lobo, slicing people in half, torso's and heads. Villain looks interesting in a manner of speaking, but green and purple?? Why?? What do they think when they're designing these costumes/villains/hero's?? Sorry, but green and purple doesn't look badass in my book.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By entropy_aegis

I think this whole unstoppable theme will continue to be used until fans get tired,and then with a BANG someone will defeat Deathstroke which will have eyes popping along with shocks powerful enough to give a heart attack.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Eyz said:

Sounds like a decent book for Deathstroke. Much better than his Titans book previously, for sure!

In fairness, it would be difficult to be worse than Titans.

@entropy_aegis said:

I think this whole unstoppable theme will continue to be used until fans get tired,and then with a BANG someone will defeat Deathstroke which will have eyes popping along with shocks powerful enough to give a heart attack.

Even if he loses, it will likely be revealed he did it on purpose or some such. And I don't have a problem with him losing as long as it is to an opponent worth losing.

Got to say, though, it'd be great if Deathstroke was to run afoul of Shiva. That's a fight/team-up (or both) that should have been done a long time ago, and makes perfect sense to the point it wouldn't feel forced to have them meet.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Saren

This is really annoying. Some story and/or character development would be nice, three issues in. I don't need a monthly reminder that Slade's a badass, I already know that.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HellionVulcan

hahaha his opponent looks like Penance .

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Bluefox170: I certainly understand where you're coming from, but not all fans have the luxury/dedication to keep up with Kyle's twitter feed and such. The New 52 has attracted a lot of new fans, so I'm just saying it taking 3 issues to provide more depth could be a major turn off to some. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority action approached appealed to more than it put off, honestly.

And yeah, I'm by no means an expert on the character, but he's always appealed to me, so it's definitely a title I'll continue to follow.