User Lists: 0

Moby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Moby

Batwing is getting dogged in this fight!!!!!!!!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'd have rather them not go this route. I'd rather they used this suit at the Batman of the future instead of the Batman Beyond. Instead of blue or red light la kind of black light.

In fact all the Batman inc characters should have been given identities of their own.

Like Batman Japan. He should have remained Mr Unknown with that costume when he showed up in Batman Inc.

Don't like the Batwing name for a person. That's what they should call the Batplane. :/

I like David and they should find something for him in the future though I think his direction has gone in a different direction then being a superhero.

I like Luke also but he should have been his own hero. Hmm maybe he could have been this universe's version of Batman beyond in the future. Though by that time he should be Lucions grandson.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks awesome. I like it cause he looks similar to Black Panther but without the claws and has a neon blue batman symbol.

DarkWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I see this dazzling preview and the very first thing I wonder is what if DC had put this art & writing team on Batwing from the beginning? How much better would this book be at this stage? Hell, what if they had simply been consistent with this title in the first place?

Luke is cool, the suit looks really nice (I am actively keeping it and Black Panther separate in my head), I understand how he fits closer to Gotham City, but I still think David was a deeper and more interesting character. I'm happy people dig Luke and are jumping on now, but again, I can't help wondering how good this book would have been if we had this level of writing from the start. But enough belly-aching about things we can't change.

This exchange does a good job of highlighting Luke's inexperience (even 6 months into the job), but he's still able to hold up against a considerable foe. I'm anxious to see how he makes it out of this. Please lawd, don't let Bruce come to his rescue; let's see Luke work his way out of this. I'm curious as to where his next mission will take him, and I guess I wanna know how they'll tease Lucius finding out about it. We shall see.

And find a way to get David Zavimbe on DC pages (but not Batwing). Let him and Vixen get together and defend the continent of Africa. I'm here for that.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 the_stegman  Moderator

I wish people would get over it looking like Black Panther, the comparison is getting old. I read the last issue and instantly added it to my pull, I have high hopes for the new Batwing.

DarkWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

I really hope this doesn't get cancelled. Batwing is very different then the other Batcharacters and I reaally like him. And I know Jimmy Palmiotti will do a great job.

@captain13 said:

Batwing and Superboy have some pretty rad costumes

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Future team-up?

This should be the new World's Finest.

Agreed--^ This would be a fun team-up. I'm also keeping an eye open for Nightwing and Batwing working together again. I'd like to see the chemistry between Dick and Luke; they're both pretty brash and witty. Could be fun.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Man, Lion-Mane has come a LOOONG way from the (roughly) 1970's Earth-2 criminal with the big hairdo.

fragmentmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By fragmentmind

Had they added a mouth slit, then it would've looked like a legitimate bat costume, but it does give off that BP vibe....

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wth is that thing?

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see this dazzling preview and the very first thing I wonder is what if DC had put this art & writing team on Batwing from the beginning? How much better would this book be at this stage? Hell, what if they had simply been consistent with this title in the first place?

DC did. They had Judd Winnick and Ben Oliver. Top tier talent. The book was selling well too. I'm guessing they figured that the book had gained enough attention that Judd and Oliver were no longer needed and man were they wrong. Because Judd and Oliver are part of the reason the book sold so well.

Luke is cool, the suit looks really nice (I am actively keeping it and Black Panther separate in my head), I understand how he fits closer to Gotham City, but I still think David was a deeper and more interesting character. I'm happy people dig Luke and are jumping on now, but again, I can't help wondering how good this book would have been if we had this level of writing from the start. But enough belly-aching about things we can't change.

I can see how people think The Black Panther. But I think one particular reason people see the Black Panther is because they think that Luke's base of operation is Africa, when its not. He's international. Batman stationed him in Africa first to finish up what David had started. He looks like Batman Beyond to me.

This exchange does a good job of highlighting Luke's inexperience (even 6 months into the job), but he's still able to hold up against a considerable foe. I'm anxious to see how he makes it out of this. Please lawd, don't let Bruce come to his rescue; let's see Luke work his way out of this. I'm curious as to where his next mission will take him, and I guess I wanna know how they'll tease Lucius finding out about it. We shall see.

Agreed.

And find a way to get David Zavimbe on DC pages (but not Batwing). Let him and Vixen get together and defend the continent of Africa. I'm here for that.

I was thinking that he could take Batman's job as Luke's mentor. But that would be a downgrade for Zavimbe so nah, that's not going to work....I honestly think he'll go straight to comic limbo. Him and Vixen would be interesting though. Although, I want her to appear in Animal Man at some point.

TOASTme69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say...LOVE the Batwing suit! Though it does have a similarity to Talon. Or at least to me it does, anyone else see the Talon influence? Still pretty cool.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

It's funny when DC doesn't even get the point of there own characters

this

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TheThe

I find the text generic and cliché, while the "liontaur" seems a little goofy as choice for an opponent. It lacks epicness.

thanobomb1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol. wow......

DarkWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DarkWriter

@blkson: Thanks for clarifying that for me. Now that I think about it, those first few issues of Batwing were well done and I enjoyed them, but when the talent started flipping, the earlier good stuff was lost in the later bad stuff (Father Lost... *shudder*).

And I'm with you on Batwing's new assignment. Originally, he was set up as the Batman of Africa (which still irks me a bit; Africa is a continent, not a country) and some people may have missed the new mission. Not to mention, he's fighting in Africa as of right now. S/n: where exactly in Africa is this battle taking place? Are we to assume he's still in the DRC? Lion-Mane mentions his Tsavo lions, but Tsavo is in Kenya. Plus one of his wives' names is Shango, an orisha (a male orisha, at that) of the Ifa faith of Nigeria. So many questions...

I painfully fear you're right about David Zavimbe; he'll probably just fade away, and that hurts me to no end. He was such a good character. He was actually a new perspective in the Bat family. A guy who wasn't just fighting for justice, he was fighting for redemption, and that's a great idea. They dropped the ball on him.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By blkson

@darkwriter said:

@blkson: Thanks for clarifying that for me. Now that I think about it, those first few issues of Batwing were well done and I enjoyed them, but when the talent started flipping, the earlier good stuff was lost in the later bad stuff (Father Lost... *shudder*).

And I'm with you on Batwing's new assignment. Originally, he was set up as the Batman of Africa (which still irks me a bit; Africa is a continent, not a country) and some people may have missed the new mission. Not to mention, he's fighting in Africa as of right now. S/n: where exactly in Africa is this battle taking place? Are we to assume he's still in the DRC? Lion-Mane mentions his Tsavo lions, but Tsavo is in Kenya. Plus one of his wives' names is Shango, an orisha (a male orisha, at that) of the Ifa faith of Nigeria. So many questions...

OMG! yes! yes! someone who gets it! All of this is why I was so happy that they were making Batwing "international". The original Batwing series was filled with stereotypes and viewed Africa as a monolith. It was so obvious that the writes new absolutely NOTHING about Africa outside of the crap they saw on TV. There was even a character, in the original series, with a damn Samoan name. I would literally roll my eyes at some of the ridiculousness I would read. Honestly, I so desperately wanted to just drop the book after issue #14. But I stuck it out and it got better... Well it's now getting better now :p

In issue #20, Luke fought the Marabunta soldiers in Tinasha, Dr. Congo (Central Africa). After reading that the lions were Tsavo Lions, I simply figured that he had traveled to Kenya (East Africa) to fight Lion-mane. DR. Congo isn't that far from Kenya, so traveling there in his Batmobile made sense to me. But then I read Shango's name and rolled my eyes. Shango is a maleNigerian (West Africa) god of fire, lightning and thunder, yet here he was as a she. -_- That made me scratch my head. Would you make a female character and name her Thor or Hercules?? But I ignored it and came up with a rationalization for that too. Shango is an extremely popular deity in west Africa and all over Latin America sooo someone naming there daughter after the God kinda made sense.

I remembered that Palmiotti & Gray said that Luke would only be in Africa for a few issues, then they were getting him out of there. They wanted him in Africa for a few issues so that the transition from David to Luke would seem connected. Then they were getting him out as quick as possible. I think that one of the reasons Batwing is now "international" because DC doesn't really know much about the Africa. Marvels Black Panther started out the same way but eventually got better and that's only because T'challa is an extremely old hero. So as the character & Marvel aged, so did their knowledge of Africa. Through trial and error, Marvel was able to write a GOOD African hero. He's still not perfect but reading Black Panther is no where near as bad as reading Zavimbe's stint as Batwing. I honestly think that Batwing was made into an African hero (Batwing was African America at first) because DC wanted to promote their "feed the hungry in Africa" campaign that they have going on.

I painfully fear you're right about David Zavimbe; he'll probably just fade away, and that hurts me to no end. He was such a good character. He was actually a new perspective in the Bat family. A guy who wasn't just fighting for justice,he was fighting for redemption, and that's a great idea. They dropped the ball on him.

Agreed

Avatar image for thebluedragon07
thebluedragon07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By thebluedragon07

IT seems that Batwings suit is the prototype suit for Batman Beyond.

DarkWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson: SO good to know I'm not alone on this! Like I've said before, I'll stick with Luke to see where things go from here, but discussions like the one we're having right now is the very reason we need heroes based on the continent of Africa. There are many misconceptions about the land and the people, but there are also many story opportunities. *sigh* The more I think about it, the more I pine for Zavimbe, so I'll just stop here...

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I like this Batwing better then the original, suit and characters. Although he clearly gets his design points from Batman Beyond as opposed to the Back Panther in my book

I guess you missed it but that's exactly what the new writers are going for. It's already on record, Palmoitti/Grey explained that his suit is supposed to be the predecessor/archetype for the future "Beyond" costume.

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

Bruce Wayne should be wearing the costume with a cape

He always gives away the cool crap or quits using it for no reason....remember after R.I.P. he was going as the Insider, that suit had even more bells and whistles (Invisibility, Infrared/night vision, pretty sure it even shot an optic blast amongst shooting other stuff out of the forearm gauntlets).

No Caption Provided