Exclusive Preview: BATGIRL #38

• 62 results
asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@majingojira: Agreed. Dinah is coming across as some snotty kid with a constant chip on her shoulder which is totally not the case. Just read Paul Dini's Bloodstone and the characterisation and tone of Black Canary is perfect for this book.

@hyperman said:

I'm really enjoying this new run. it's simple and fun. the only thing i don't like is the treatment Black Canary has been given. she's only Barbara's blonde friend. no action, no fighting at all, it reminds me of what happened to her int the early 90's, in the green arrow's series, when she was stripped of all her iconic elements, and became some kinda sidekick.

Can't help but agree. It could be set up for reconciliation, but I'm not exactly a trusting sort when it comes to comic writers I have not read much of.

It seems like more than one writer has been trying to uproot the friendship between Barbara and Dinah since the reboot, and I am not a fan of that as a story item.

Agreed. Dinah is coming across as some snotty kid with a constant chip on her shoulder which is totally not the case. Just read Paul Dini's OGN Bloodspell and the characterisation and tone of Black Canary in that is perfect for this book.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@majingojira: You are utterly right. there has not been any attempt or even a glimpse of reconciliation between Barbara and Dinah. It's sad, it's like the character (Black Canary) is adrift. No Birds of Prey, no Justice League , No Green Arrow . It's such a shame now that the character has been gaining some popularity due to her exposure in "Arrow"

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it is kind of nice in these pages that they took the meta approach to bringing up what some readers have been thinking (too celebrity, OOC, to light and fluffy) and the cosplay sect whom dress like her, "she's popular" yet don't actually buy the book (as a generalization, not a 100% everyone, seriously though, ask one the real name of Batgirl and tell me how many know...). Still a decent book, the de-aging and slightly dumbing down seems a little off and the "controversy" over the last issue was way overblown but it has merit and a place on the shelf.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a dripping irony to DInah accusing Barbara of being a "completely different person" when the portrayal of Dinah as an angry, judgmental guilt-tripper seems completely out of character.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least they are self-aware. I mean I am not against a happy Barbara...Hell , DC has enough angst already. It is just feels TOO ''hipstery'' and forced to 'connect' with a certain Tumblr demographic ( you know what I am talking about ) And I don't think it is a good destination for Batgirl.

I don't know , maybe I am spoiled but Oracle was 10 times better even with her disabilities. She was more mature than most people combined and yet she was also light-hearted to people like Stephanie Brown. Seeing Barbara like that know...makes me wonder , having your legs working again ''dumifies'' you ?

As said earlier, if this was a Stephanie Brown book, it would be more fitting since she was more close to that and her age. Barbara...after all she's been through, she should know better the ''celebrity vigilante'' stuff only gonna hurt you. There is a reason why Batman stays in the shadows almost ALL the time and it is not like he is a shadow fetishist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I did read it, and this batgirl is totally different and is now a hipster.

And no its for teenage girls, not women.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jayc1324: No she's quite herself, and if you actually bothered paying attention to the book it goes out of the way several times to make fun of hipsters and pop-culture.

Oh no, a book about a young female protagonist is being aimed at a young female demographic, what has DC done!?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: of course she is still Barbara but it is as if the previous issues haven't happened.

And when did I say it being aimed at females is bad? It has always been aimed at them but it used to be readable. Now it is full of hipsters and social media and teenage girl stuff, as if Barbara is a teen. She used to deal with way heavier stuff than this. Now she fights in a leather jacket and has been moved to a hipster part of Gotham, which should not even exist in the first place. Making fun of hipsters doesn't mean that the book isn't filled with hipster stuff.

I see all that as a negative change from what the batgirl series was before. She went from fighting with cool characters like strix and fighting awesome villains and people like Ragdoll to fighting a social media villain and worrying about where her stolen phone is and living in a town full of 100% clichéd characters. I see that as a negative change.

DjBest02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

As I mentioned in my review for #35, I can relate to THIS Babs everyone seems to hate. I went through personal struggles that left me all "moody" and "serious" and once I realized that being THAT wasn't going to do anything for me, I relaxed and began to enjoy life. So yeah, I can relate to this Babs, because as a 21 year old college student, I stopped worrying too much and began to see things in better light. Can't wait for this issue!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest problem is it feels the same as stephs time wearing the bat before the new 52 reboot.