Exclusive: MASKS #5 and THE LONE RANGER VOL. 2 #14

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Each week Dynamite Entertainment offers Comic Vine an extended, exclusive preview of some of their titles. This week we get a look at previews for MASKS #5 and THE LONE RANGER VOL. 2 #14. Check them out below. Don't forget to visit our previews board for a look at the rest of Dynamite's new releases for this week, here.

MASKS #5

No Caption Provided

Written by Chris Roberson

Art by Dennis Calero

Covers by Alex Ross, Ardian Syaf, Jack Herbert, Stephen Segovia

Fans, ask your retailers for the Alé Garza “Ms. Fury revealing risqué” retailer incentive cover, Alex Ross “sketch art” retailer incentive cover and the Ardian Syaf black & white art retailer incentive cover

FC • 32 pages • $3.99 • Teen+

The Justice Party tightens its grip on the Empire State, and the vigilantes and heroes are preparing to go on the offensive. The Shadow, Ms. Fury, The Green Hornet, The Black Bat and the others have gathered enough evidence to prove that the public officials who have established the new fascist police state are merely the pawns of more sinister forces who lurk unseen. No one has heard from the Spider since he left for Albany to investigate the new governor, and he is feared dead, captured, or worse. And while Green Hornet, Black Terror, Miss Fury, and others join the Shadow in preparing to attack the hidden masters of the Justice Party, two fugitives take to the streets as Zorro and the Black Bat.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

THE LONE RANGER VOL. 2 #14

No Caption Provided

Written by Ande Parks

Art by Esteve Polls

Cover by Francesco Francavilla

FC • 32 pages • $3.99 • Teen+

Continuing a series of stand-alone, single issue tales. Blood, dust and vengeance in the Wild West. The Lone Ranger and Tonto join a posse on the trail of a cold-blooded killer. What they find at the end of the chase is a ghost from Tonto's own past... a man Tonto had a chance to kill, but left alive at the cost of countless others. Now, the West's most iconic heroes must weigh the killer's fate again.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By bob808

Can't wait to read Masks.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@bob808 said:

Can't wait to read Masks.

I can't wait for both, but I wish Masks was ongoing.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#3  Edited By cbishop

I would LOVE Dynamite, if they'd stop doing fifteen covers for everything they put out. One is enough. Doesn't anyone remember pin-up pages?

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Hey look, Jonah Hex!

Brownghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@cbishop that is a dumb argument. No one is forcing you to buy all the covers.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iaconpoint

@cbishop: Yeah, I'm with ya on those multiple covers. It makes iconic covers a thing of the past. Think about all the iconic covers like Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic Four 1, Detective Comics 27. No variants there.

I'm a huge fan of All-Star Western, may have to look into Lone Ranger.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cbishop

@cbishop that is a dumb argument. No one is forcing you to buy all the covers.

I never said they were. I was just saying I hate it that they produce so many for each issue they put out. I think it's wasteful (of money and physical resources), and a bad way to buoy sales. Also, from a collector's standpoint, years down the road, when you're digging through back issue bins, it makes it hard to know if you're looking at an issue you already have or not, or if this is another series, or what. Less so with Dynamite, because they do put pics of all the covers on the inside of the book somewhere, in many cases. Avatar does the same thing though, and good luck figuring that out later.

Letting multiple artists do covers for the same book kind of feels like "no child left behind" for artists - "Aw, you didn't get the cover? How 'bout we let you do a 1-in-10 variant? There there - don't you feel better?" Like I said: there's this concept called "pin-up pages." It still works.

Don't get me wrong: I've bought variant covers here-and-there, but because I really loved the cover, or I was just having fun with a series, not because I felt like I must have everything. Variant covers are out there - may as well buy the ones you like. I don't support paying grand sums of money for them, but if I can get them cheap, sure, why not?

With Dynamite specifically, though: I feel their books are good enough that they don't need to offer variant covers to draw in buyers. They put high quality writing and art into every book, as far as I have seen. That should speak for itself, with one great cover. Let the rest be pin-ups, or show up in an art book or something.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cbishop

I'm a huge fan of All-Star Western, may have to look into Lone Ranger.

@krypton_ said:

Hey look, Jonah Hex!

It sure looks like it was inspired by him, doesn't it? Man, that's a crossover I'd like to see. :)

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By jsphsmth

If you like Masks, then don't miss Miss Fury out this week from Dynamite. Preview at CBR

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Given Dynamite's sales numbers, I am glad they are using alternate covers to help boost sales. I want them to use any/every trick in the book so that they can keep publishing the pulps.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Sweet, Zorro!! I love that guy!!

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@cbishop: Lone Ranger vs Jonah Hex, I too would like this to happen.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsphsmth said:

Given Dynamite's sales numbers, I am glad they are using alternate covers to help boost sales. I want them to use any/every trick in the book so that they can keep publishing the pulps.

I really don't know on this one, so I'm asking: do you think the multiple covers help their sales that much? Or are they losing in printing the multiple covers what they gain in sales? See, my thought is less covers means less paper cost, less ink cost, less printing cost, etc.

@krypton_ said:

@cbishop: Lone Ranger vs Jonah Hex, I too would like this to happen.

I would think it would wind up being more of a team-up than a versus, but I could see their opinions differing enough to fight it out.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Masks I'm trade waiting on but what I see makes me know I'm going to enjoy it. And Lone Ranger is just simply awesome.