Posted by G-Man (37775 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would have thought Larfleeze, the solitary Orange Lantern, would get his own series? Of course we have seen the Larfleeze backup stories by Keith Giffen in the pages of THRESHOLD. It then makes sense that Larfleeze would demand his own series rather than have to share it with others.

The new LARFLEEZE series debuts on June 26. The series will feature art by Scott Kolins with a cover by Howard Porter (which you can check out HERE). DC Comics has given us an exclusive first look at Tyler Kirkham's variant cover.

Are you ready for a Larfleeze solo series?

Here's the solicit for issue #1:

Larfleeze, the breakout character from BLACKEST NIGHT, last seen in the pages of THRESHOLD, is back in his own solo, ongoing series—and he’s not sharing it with anyone! In his debut solo adventure, Larfleeze meets Laord of the Hunt, a pan-dimensional cosmic entity that believes all living things are prey—and he’s out to turn the universe into his own private hunting reserve! And the only thing worse than Laord is the deadly beings he can summon!

#1 Edited by xAnimosity (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited for this. DC really needs a funny and quirky book.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34370 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes me very sad that Threshold was cancelled for this

#3 Posted by longbowhunter (7534 posts) - - Show Bio

Giffen and DeMatteis do superhero comedy better than almost anyone else. Yet I'm still having a hard time feeling the hype for this book.

#4 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited for this. DC really needs a funny and quirky book.

Giffen and DeMatteis do superhero comedy better than almost anyone else. Yet I'm still having a hard time feeling the hype for this book.

both of these

#5 Posted by The Stegman (25539 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeeeah, I still don't really care for Larfleeze, to me he's kind of one dimensional. Mine, Mine, Mine, even when writers try to give him more depth, at the end of the story, it's back to "Mine, mine, mine". I'd rather have a Lobo or Blue Lanterns title.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34370 posts) - - Show Bio

How about a cosmic book that has nothing to do with Lanterns?

#7 Edited by TheMadMonkey (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Well, he is the "Greed" Lantern after all. lol

#8 Posted by Billy Batson (58275 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody bought Threshold :)
BB

#9 Posted by Teerack (7372 posts) - - Show Bio

:o DC is giving a cool character a book???

#10 Posted by Saren (26027 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

BB

Or Legion of Super-Heroes :)

#11 Posted by MrShway88 (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I would of preferred a Saint Walker or Blue Lantern's book but it could be worse. I don't care as long as it's good.

#12 Edited by doombot890 (232 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by doombot890 (232 posts) - - Show Bio

What about bringing back...or rebooting as it were...L.E.G.I.O.N. or R.E.B.E.L.S.

I for one think it's about time we had the best self serving anti hero there is Brainiac 2 back on the pages even if it is for a 12 issue run.

#14 Edited by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3602 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm, not that interested really. I want a Lobo title!

#15 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34370 posts) - - Show Bio

@doombot890: Yea and other pepole didn't, what's your point?

@billy_batson said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

BB

Or Legion of Super-Heroes :)

Because pepole are asses

#16 Posted by Farkam (5012 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care about Larfleeze.

#17 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I love larfleeze but they are going to need to make a good group of supporting charchters for him in order to make this a compelling book.

#18 Posted by zeyepawdz (5 posts) - - Show Bio

MINE!

#19 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes me very sad that Threshold was cancelled for this

I respectfully didn't like threshold and I am glad larfleeze is getting his own series but hey just my opinion

#20 Edited by EnigmaLantern (763 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what to make of Larfleeze getting his own series but if it's good then I might consider adding it to my pull-list as my wild card. Who knows

#21 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34370 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

I did had a thought of getting this but why, oh why, do I have a feeling that it will get cancelled within a year or so? I don't know. It seems like a lot of comic books always get cancelled sometime in the future and I hate that. :-/

#23 Posted by FlashDamn (947 posts) - - Show Bio

@smurfboy said:

I did had a thought of getting this but why, oh why, do I have a feeling that it will get cancelled within a year or so? I don't know. It seems like a lot of comic books always get cancelled sometime in the future and I hate that. :-/

then get it so it doesn't get cancelled

#24 Posted by Onemoreposter (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really understand the appeal of this character and I certainly don't understand how HE of all the characters in DC's stable is getting a solo series. However, with Giffen writing there is certainly hope that this could be good fun.

What about bringing back...or rebooting as it were...L.E.G.I.O.N. or R.E.B.E.L.S.

I for one think it's about time we had the best self serving anti hero there is Brainiac 2 back on the pages even if it is for a 12 issue run.

Yes! yes! A million times yes! I was a big fan of the LEGION series in the early 90's but an even BIGGER fan of the 2009 REBELS series by Tony Bedard. Both series seemed to sell well with the LEGION series lasting roughly 90 issues (including the tail end where it was rebranded REBELS) and the 2009 REBELS series lasting just shy of 30 issues and seemingly only being cut short due to the reboot.

As a long time fan of cosmic DC I can say that I don't want a book like THRESHOLD with it's Guardian of the Galaxy rip offs (looking at you K'rot) and dozens of multicolored lanterns. Give me Mystery in Space. I want Vril Dox and the Omega Men and Captain Comet and the Weird and Adam Strange AND LOBO.

When it comes to space-adventure go back to your roots DC!! Don't fix a formula that most certainly isn't broken.

#25 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

Now as much as i love the greedy bugger i think the major problem this series is going to have, as has been showcased in Larfleezes appearances in other titles and as the main character in the Threshold second feature, is that by himself he cannot hold a title (which is why Pulsar Stargrave is being added as some sort of unwanted sidekick... which is pretty sad considering the mystery of the characters origins pre-september relaunch). He might be played as a deadpool esqu character with the humour adding to the series life, but I cant see the trade off between greed and insanity. Of all the lantern titles to be given a spin-off I don't know why they didn't give it to someone else ("Saint Walker & the Blue Lantern Corps", "Tales of the Sinestro Corps", "The Star Saphires"), or for that matter why didn't they just make another titles focusing on DC's other cosimic based characters? (LEGION/REBELS, Adam Strange, Captain Comet, Dark Stars, Omega Men (retconing what Lifeld did to them in his run of Deathstroke), The New Gods.... or maybe a new legion of super-heroes title (he said in his whisper of a fan boy voice)). Put "Lantern" or "Bat" into a title and we all know it sells (I would have also said "add justice league <blank>" and things sell but DC cancelled International... which made me sad).

Ok I'm rambling, but in short as amusing a concept as a Larfeeze title is I just cannot see how the character would stand up as an indipendant character. I do wish the series all the best, and will pick up the first issue at least but as i've said there are other titles DC could be making which are cosmic (and as of this moment 7 empty title slots in their new 52, some of which will be filled up after trinity wars, but that's still alot of spaces to fill up to keep to their promise of 52 DC titles) which would be a breath of fresh void to fans who are (and i know this is impossible to conseve) tired are Lantern books being the only gateway to DC cosmic (Threashold just lacked a main character/focus and wasted its time... unfortunatlly).

#26 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Larfleeze is greedy and all, but damn he's collectin some crap.

#27 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I may or may not have this in my holds. I'm gonna look through it to see if its worth my while. Gosh though, that Kirkham variant cover rocks!

#28 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

If that suck ass character Deadpool can have a strong following, then why not larfleez...

#29 Posted by Teerack (7372 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how the artist forgot to make his ring orange :P

#30 Posted by nappystr8 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was the regular cover. Certainly better than the regular cover apparently. Hopefully the variant is not of the limited variety and people who want this version can choose it at no extra cost. Cause wow, the cover on the link is close to awful. I never really understood Larfleeze as a character by reading up on him, but I finally picked up some of Geoff Johns's Blackest Night and Brightest Day issues, and he is a great character. I still don't know if he can hold a title all on his own, and I'm not into him enough to buy his solo series. I do like him though, and hope this book the best.

#31 Posted by Bogey (952 posts) - - Show Bio

REBELS AND LEGION WAS THE BOMB! But Larfleeze could be good.

#33 Posted by Herokiller12344 (999 posts) - - Show Bio

Hallelujah, finally something to wash the taste of that terrible Red Lantern book out.

#34 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

oh yes the one dimensional character will do marvelous. cancelled after 6 issues. fans will be pissed because it didnt have the right writer.

#35 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6521 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw the words 'Variant Cover' and the first thing that came to mind was Deadpool.

Has Marvels insistence on putting Deadpool on unrelated comic books been some kind of subliminal plot to make us think of, and subsequently buy his comics?

Well it made me think of him, but I'm still not buying.

Oh yeah, this is a Larfleeze thread. Carry on.

#36 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

Why?

#37 Posted by trebean (696 posts) - - Show Bio

oh yes the one dimensional character will do marvelous. cancelled after 6 issues. fans will be pissed because it didnt have the right writer.

Giffen and Dematteis have my complete faith on these book, if they made me like Guy Gardner, G'Nort, and Martian Manhunter. They might have a chance on making a good Larfleeze book.

Also is Manga Khan and L-Ron in this book?

#38 Edited by LegsAbernathy (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: thats the same comment i've heard made by alot of people and I'm hoping that in this new series the

opportunity is finally seized to add depth to him, he's definitely an interesting character and as a fellow comic writer i see alot of potential for expansion, wether or not we'll see it, who knows but I'm hopeful. There's no sense in digging a grave for him yet, #HeresHopin'