Exclusive Extended Preview: RED SONJA #64

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We all know Red Sonja is the She-Devil with a Sword. As tough as she is, it's great to see that sometimes things don't go exactly the way she thought they would. Eric Trautmann and Walter Geovani bring us the next chapter in Red Sonja's adventure. Check out the exclusive extended preview of issue #64 below.

RED SONJA #64

No Caption Provided

32 pages FC • $3.99 • Teen +

Written by ERIC TRAUTMANN

Art by WALTER GEOVANI

Covers by WALTER GEOVANI (50%), WAGNER REIS (50%)

The She-Devil With A Sword has traveled from pastoral Shem to strife-torn Koth and now, into the dark heart of Stygia itself. Sonja's quest: a lost weapon of terrifying power, and perhaps, some measure of atonement. But the sinister schemes of the Phaorah's own witch, Azenathi, may only bring Red Sonja death.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Check out previews for the rest of this week's titles from Dynamite Entertainment HERE.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By KainScion

not to be mean or anything, but is there anything worth while in this comis besides almost naked chick with pointy objects??

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NightFang3

@KainScion: That's kind of a silly question.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@KainScion: is there anything worth while in the Avengers apart from men in tights running around punching each other?
KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KainScion

@spiderbat87: PLEASE just the thought of comparing the avengers to medieval barbie makes me laugh.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@KainScion said:

@spiderbat87: PLEASE just the thought of comparing the avengers to medieval barbie makes me laugh.

shoo troll, do't bother me.
KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KainScion

@spiderbat87: bite me spiderchump

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@KainScion said:

wow your wit and eloquence is astounding 
Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Gordo789

I am sort of interested in this series, but conan is satisfying my quasi-historical fantasy swords & sorcery needs these days.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@KainScion said:  

@spiderbat87: PLEASE just the thought of comparing the avengers to medieval barbie makes me laugh.@spiderbat87 said:
@KainScion said:

shoo troll, do't bother me.
@KainScion said:

C'mon guys, be nice :)
supergirlH0p3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By supergirlH0p3

Yah, Kain has obviously never read an issue of Sonja. There is SO much more to her than a "medieval barbie"

eric_trautmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eric_trautmann

To answer your original question, and I admit I'm biased, but yeah, I think there is something worthwhile here. Sonja is a tough, resourceful and intelligent heroine, with enough outlaw in her to keep her interesting. The Hyborian kingdoms are a compelling setting, and I've been lucky in that the artists on the series for my run have been excellent storytellers. Walter in particular has brought a lot of nuance to his version of Sonja.

As for the "bikini," it's only appeared sporadically in my run. She's changed armor and clothing to suit the situation she finds herself in. For much of the first arc, "War Season" (issues #51 to 55), she wears chainmail and leather armor, for example.

If you like sword and sorcery in the style of Robert E. Howard's CONAN, you might find rather a lot to enjoy here.

If you DON'T, then, no, a Howardian sword and sorcery book probably isn't for you.

In either case, however, I don't think I've written "medieval Barbie" at any point in my extended run on the title.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Trautmann you are truly a genius! From what I saw of this extended preview it makes me realize why Red Sonja is another great Dynamite title on level with others I enjoy :) It may sound funny but Kheshatta looked for a moment like New Krypton as it was rising from the ground, hehe. Man I love Hyborian stories! I bow to you good sir.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By The Impersonator

Nice!

eric_trautmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eric_trautmann

@Judge_Dredd To be fair, there are several periods in the character's history that play precisely to those stereotypes, so it's a legitimate concern -- mostly, I just wanted to steer us away from the snark and talk about the actual book. ;)

waltergeovani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By waltergeovani

@Judge_Dredd: I tottally agree with you! If a reader doesnt like sexy chicks on comics,it´s ok.But don´t like a story JUST BECAUSE there´s a sexy chick on it,it´s...

And I agree with @eric_trautmann,too :) There was a time when I was just worried in draw her in sexy poses and so...but when I started to work with Eric,I decided to concentrate on storytelling.Sometimes I can´t resist,though :P But,it´s only sometimes :)

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Shadow_Thief
No Caption Provided

@eric_trautmann said:

To answer your original question, and I admit I'm biased, but yeah, I think there is something worthwhile here. Sonja is a tough, resourceful and intelligent heroine, with enough outlaw in her to keep her interesting. The Hyborian kingdoms are a compelling setting, and I've been lucky in that the artists on the series for my run have been excellent storytellers. Walter in particular has brought a lot of nuance to his version of Sonja.

As for the "bikini," it's only appeared sporadically in my run. She's changed armor and clothing to suit the situation she finds herself in. For much of the first arc, "War Season" (issues #51 to 55), she wears chainmail and leather armor, for example.

If you like sword and sorcery in the style of Robert E. Howard's CONAN, you might find rather a lot to enjoy here.

If you DON'T, then, no, a Howardian sword and sorcery book probably isn't for you.

In either case, however, I don't think I've written "medieval Barbie" at any point in my extended run on the title.