Posted by G-Man (37716 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to the Mass Effect universe, Mac Walters is no stranger. Since Mass Effect 2, Walters was the lead writer for the third game and has written four different comics in the Mass Effect universe.

At Emerald City Comicon, Dark Horse annouced Walters would return to comics for an ongoing series - MASS EFFECT: FOUNDATION.

What will this series be about? That's still a secret to be announced. It is said to feature a "strong female character."

This news comes on the eve of the release of Mass Effect 3: Citadel, which will be released on March 5.

MASS EFFECT: FOUNDATION #1 goes on sale July 24 in comic shops and Dark Horse Digital.

#1 Posted by sledgemeyers (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised this isn't going to be published by DC. They would be more than glad to change the ending if it doesn't do well enough.

#2 Posted by c2thaj (51 posts) - - Show Bio

The previous comics have been meh but I'm a huge mass effect fanboy so I'm still looking forward to this.

#3 Posted by G-Man (37716 posts) - - Show Bio

@c2thaj: I agree. The other comics have been 'okay.' But the idea of an ongoing does seem more appealing. The miniseries, because they were shorter, seemed to fast and a little lacking on details. Hopefully this will allow stories and characters to be fleshed out more.

#4 Posted by ekrolo (436 posts) - - Show Bio

@sledgemeyers: They didnt change the ending, they just took the terrible original and tried to resolve some of the plot holes, they did succeed but the ending is still a piece of crap that makes no sense and is still terribly contrived.

#5 Posted by JakeN7 (12804 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY!

...that is all

#6 Posted by SNascimento (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Only care if woman Miranda.

#7 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll read this only because I want to see how they handle an ongoing.

#8 Posted by dondave (38795 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: Have they announced who the artist will be

#9 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm interesting.

Sarah williams perhaps.

#10 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

From the writer of the ending of Mass Effect 3!

#11 Edited by sturmritter (59 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is the guy who wrote the ending for Mass Effect 3, I'm definitely going to pass. What a f'd up piece of garbage that ending was. Take a great series and end up with a Deus Ex Machina that doesn't even jive with it's own set of reality principles, and strand everyone in the galaxy in the Sol/Terra solar system, with no method of feeding half of the aliens there (Due to left chirality protein synthesis). What a bafoon.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

#12 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I could always use some more Mass Effect. I'm not complaining.

#13 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

@sturmritter: Preach it brotha!

#14 Posted by Red_Robin212 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@SNascimento: I like this man's thinking

#15 Posted by c2thaj (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@sturmritter:

It was Casey Hudson who came up with the craptastic ending.

#16 Posted by ptigrusmagus (495 posts) - - Show Bio

The ending of ME3 absolutely SUCKED but ME1 through most of ME3 is my favorite Sci Fi franchise so I'll check this out. Also Mac Walters didn't decide on the ending himself, Casey Hudson ran the show over there and EA rushed it out the door.

#17 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: Omar Francia is doing the art for the series.

#18 Posted by zombiesatemycereal (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Will give these a read, but not thrilled about it having the same mediocre artist as most of the other comics. And still complaining about the ending? Really? It's been a year.

#19 Posted by maffrew (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I may have missed it somewhere, but the big question is whether this is set pre or post ME3.

#20 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombiesatemycereal said:

And still complaining about the ending? Really? It's been a year.

Exactly.

#21 Posted by dondave (38795 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake: Thanks

#22 Posted by JakeN7 (12804 posts) - - Show Bio

@sturmritter: Seriously? I can't stand people like you. You're literally complaining about the ending a year later, and you haven't even played the Extended Cut which fixes almost all of the plot-holes. No one would be stuck in the Sol system. The Extended Cut made it clear that the Mass Effect relays were damaged, not destroyed. It even shows them being repaired by the Reapers if you chose the Control ending. Educate yourself before you make baseless claims like that.

@SmashBrawler said:

@zombiesatemycereal said:

And still complaining about the ending? Really? It's been a year.

Exactly.

Thank you! I love it when people are rational on the internet. The Mass Effect franchise is one of the greatest in gaming history. Whether you like the ending or not, people need to accept it for what it is and move on. It shouldn't affect their opinions' of the games at all.

#23 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7: It's like bringing up the prequels every single time someone talks about Star Wars.

#24 Posted by JakeN7 (12804 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@JakeN7: It's like bringing up the prequels every single time someone talks about Star Wars.

Definitely, except that the prequels were half of all the Star Wars movies, whereas the Mass Effect 3 ending was the last ten minutes of 1/3 of all the Mass Effect games. Yet somehow it's complained about just as hard...

#25 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@JakeN7: It's like bringing up the prequels every single time someone talks about Star Wars.

Definitely, except that the prequels were half of all the Star Wars movies, whereas the Mass Effect 3 ending was the last ten minutes of 1/3 of all the Mass Effect games. Yet somehow it's complained about just as hard...

Actually, if we do a fair comparison, I think people bring up the ending way more than Star Wars fans bring up Jar Jar Binks or midi-chlorians.

#26 Posted by JakeN7 (12804 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@JakeN7 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@JakeN7: It's like bringing up the prequels every single time someone talks about Star Wars.

Definitely, except that the prequels were half of all the Star Wars movies, whereas the Mass Effect 3 ending was the last ten minutes of 1/3 of all the Mass Effect games. Yet somehow it's complained about just as hard...

Actually, if we do a fair comparison, I think people bring up the ending way more than Star Wars fans bring up Jar Jar Binks or midi-chlorians.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm always surprised when I read an article relating to anything Mass Effect and 3's ending isn't brought up. It's a real shame. I mean when I finished it, it left me feeling really hollow and unsatisfied and raised a lot of questions, but I didn't think it was the worst ending ever. Besides, I got complete closure with the Extended Cut ending because it changed way more than I thought it would, and it answered almost all of my questions. I wish everybody could just get over it at this point.

#27 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

The other Mass Effect comics have been pretty meh but I love this series so I'll probably check this one out anyway

#28 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@JakeN7 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@JakeN7: It's like bringing up the prequels every single time someone talks about Star Wars.

Definitely, except that the prequels were half of all the Star Wars movies, whereas the Mass Effect 3 ending was the last ten minutes of 1/3 of all the Mass Effect games. Yet somehow it's complained about just as hard...

Actually, if we do a fair comparison, I think people bring up the ending way more than Star Wars fans bring up Jar Jar Binks or midi-chlorians.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm always surprised when I read an article relating to anything Mass Effect and 3's ending isn't brought up. It's a real shame. I mean when I finished it, it left me feeling really hollow and unsatisfied and raised a lot of questions, but I didn't think it was the worst ending ever. Besides, I got complete closure with the Extended Cut ending because it changed way more than I thought it would, and it answered almost all of my questions. I wish everybody could just get over it at this point.

Yup, wish people could just move on and hope for a better game next time, because that's all that matters now.

#29 Posted by Sammo21 (700 posts) - - Show Bio

@sledgemeyers:

If DC made Mass Effect comics they'd retcon the universe and screw up anyone people liked.

#30 Posted by sturmritter (59 posts) - - Show Bio

@c2thaj: Casey Hudson was the project manager. He "Approved" the Craptastic Ending, but he did not write it.

#31 Edited by sturmritter (59 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7: Ya, I'm still complaining about the ORIGINAL ending. And ya, I'll complain about the extended ending too, if you want me to.

It was, as others succintly put it, "CRAPTASTIC". I merely called it f'n garbage. I downloaded the "Extended ending" and ya, they redo the ending to "Explain" why the ORIGINAL ending was as CRAPTASTIC as it was.

I'm not dissing the game, I loved the game. I hated how it ended.

Here are some statistics:

Mass Effect 1 Replays: 27 times. YES … that's TWENTY SEVEN REPLAYS for the 1st game.

Mass Effect 2 Replays: 15 times.

Mass Effect 3 Replays (Only after extended ending): 1

That tells you something, doesn't it? THE ENDING SUCKED even with the "Extended repair duct tape" ending.

It also means that the whole series, of which I put somewhere between a month to 2 months of my entertainment, real life time, into engaging a wonderful story, and then to have it crash down with a a CRAPTASTIC ending, ya. I'm still bitter. Do you really hate guys who think that if Bioware had simply taken another month to do the ending right the first time? If Mac Walters and Casey Hudson had simply taken some time to do it correctly, then perhaps it wouldn't have been an issue.

So, ya, when it comes to Mac Walters and this Foundation story, I have issues with his ability to properly deliver a story. Seriously, the one who seems to have not given up Mass Effect is the guy with N7 in his handle. Go figure.

#32 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@sturmritter said:

@JakeN7: Ya, I'm still complaining about the ORIGINAL ending. And ya, I'll complain about the extended ending too, if you want me to.

It was, as others succintly put it, "CRAPTASTIC". I merely called it f'n garbage. I downloaded the "Extended ending" and ya, they redo the ending to "Explain" why the ORIGINAL ending was as CRAPTASTIC as it was.

I'm not dissing the game, I loved the game. I hated how it ended.

Here are some statistics:

Mass Effect 1 Replays: 27 times. YES … that's TWENTY SEVEN REPLAYS for the 1st game.

Mass Effect 2 Replays: 15 times.

Mass Effect 3 Replays (Only after extended ending): 1

That tells you something, doesn't it?

Yes, that tells me youre still bitching about a game that came out more than a year ago and you should find something better to do with your life

#33 Posted by maffrew (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox said:

@sturmritter said:

Yes, that tells me youre still bitching about a game that came out more than a year ago and you should find something better to do with your life

Oh, bazinga!

#34 Edited by sturmritter (59 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox

Let me reiterate. The point of this thread has to do with Mac Walters, and his ability to tell a story. His past performance in Mass Effect was fine, except with a terrible ending. I'm not still bitching about the game, I'm bitching about the game's ending as it relates to a potentially awful story in this ongoing series. I am not enthused by the possibility of having great story suddenly get torpedoed. So go ahead and tell me I don't have a life, and whatever. Your opinion is as valid as mine. But if you think that posting on this thread is a waste, and that one should find better things to do with their lives, then I'd take a look in the mirror, because you're here posting a response to my view. Shouldn't you be finding something better to do?

#35 Posted by JakeN7 (12804 posts) - - Show Bio

@sturmritter said:

@JakeN7: Seriously, the one who seems to have not given up Mass Effect is the guy with N7 in his handle. Go figure.

At least you've got that part right. It's still my favorite video game franchise of all time. That didn't change because of an unsatisfying conclusion to the third game. I even went and bought my Microsoft Points today so I could download the very last piece of Mass Effect 3 DLC (Citadel) which releases this Tuesday. I have every single achievement on it, and I want to keep it that way.

Maybe you could tell me specifically what sucked about the "Extended repair duct tape" ending. While you're at it, maybe you'd enlighten us with what your ideal ending is. I'm sure you could write a better one than the professionals that do it for a living (especially when they're attempt was so..."CRAPTASTIC.")

#36 Edited by ptigrusmagus (495 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeeaaa, its extremely out of line to complain about complainers or say those who have a negative reaction have no life or whatever, what a toolish thing to say. This article directly relates to the writer of ME and the original ending deserves praise and critique in this article because no matter what this comic will a) lead up to the events of the ending or b) take place after the ending. Mass Effect IS the Reapers and their galactic purges, the end of ME3 is the conclusion of our time's battle against the Reaper cycle. Bioware may boast about all their perfect scores (bought and paid for, I have no more respect for IGN) but ME3 was no where close to perfect even with the Extended Cut and one way or another the ME games are the source material for this comic and should be brought up. Just because some fans put their heads in the sand regarding the quality of ME3's ending doesn't mean everyone has to. I own every single ME add-on and DLC, as well as every comic, I will be checking out this ongoing based on the quality of ME1 though 99% of ME3.

#37 Edited by sturmritter (59 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus: Well said. Though I am still leary of the possibility of an unexpected torpedo hit from the writers, so I will be avoid unless the artwork really stands out.

#38 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@sturmritter said:

But if you think that posting on this thread is a waste, and that one should find better things to do with their lives, then I'd take a look in the mirror, because you're here posting a response to my view. Shouldn't you be finding something better to do?

Posting a response in the internet takes me like 3 seconds, so.... no

@ptigrusmagus said:

Yeeaaa, its extremely out of line to complain about complainers or say those who have a negative reaction have no life or whatever, what a toolish thing to say

Go the bioware forums, look at most of the posters then come back and tell me im a tool with a straight face

#39 Posted by Mokey (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy! BioWare! Wait.. it's 2013, not 2003.

#40 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice! Not really a Mass Effect fan here but this looks like it will be great!

#41 Posted by Xorion (446 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to this cause it seems like a sheperd free on going and could develope the mass effect universe

#42 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Teerack (7366 posts) - - Show Bio

@sledgemeyers: None of the Mass Effect comics are made by DC, and DC wouldn't be able to change the ending....