Dynamite Entertainment Launches 'Lord of the Jungle'

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Part of being a successful independent publishing house is obtaining properties that were highly successful in the past, but haven't been touched for an extended period of time, something that Dynamite Entertainment knows a lot about. Dynamite confirmed they will be launching Lord of the Jungle, as well as their plans to expand upon the Edgar Rice Burroughs tale as a comic book property.

No Caption Provided

For those unfamiliar with the original story, they should know that the comics will feature Tarzan and his adventures in the jungle. Just in time to celebrate Tarzan's centennial birthday, Dynamite will be releasing the very first issue in this series this December, 2011. According to the publisher, this property will be one of their biggest and most important which is why they plan on offering the first 32 page comic for a mere $1. Below is the official press release from Dynamite Entertainment as well as four covers by Ryan Sook, Alex Ross, Paul Renaud and Lucio Parillo.

== TEASER ==

LORD OF THE JUNGLE LAUNCHES IN DECEMBER!

EXPANSION OF EDGAR RICE BURROUGH'S CLASSIC TALE!

September 20, 2011, Runnemede, NJ - The original Lord of the Jungle returns! Dynamite is proud to announce the December release of Lord of the Jungle! Dynamite's Lord of the Jungle is true to Edgar Rice Burroughs original tale, savage, violent, and uncensored for the first time in its 100 year history! We are so proud and excited about this book, that we are offering the first FULL issue for the introductory price of just $1.00!

Based on the classic Edgar Rice Burroughs adventure story, Tarzan of the Apes, the first of his famous series, which initially began publication in All Story Magazine in 1912. The saga of Greystoke begins in December, written by Arvid Nelson and illustrated by Roberto Castro, and featuring covers by Alex Ross, Lucio Parillo, Ryan Sook, and Paul Renaud!

"Tarzan's DNA is in everything from super heroes to space epics," says writer Arvid Nelson. "But I was surprised at how little I knew about him, because the many adaptations wander very far from the original character. His true story is so much deeper and more interesting -- that's we're trying to bring to life in Lord of the Jungle."

"To allow the series to be accessible to fans old and new, we are offering the first issue at the Introductory Price of $1.00 for the full ENTIRE 32 page comic, as well as dedicating both of the Dynamite front gate folds of the October shipping Previews Magazine to our launch," says Dynamite Entertainment President and Publisher Nick Barrucci. "Get on board for the biggest comic book launch this December!"

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By isaac_clarke

Sounds like a good deal.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

They should have put Tarzan in the title, Lord of the Jungle is not synonymous with Tarzan for all people.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

@pikahyper said:

They should have put Tarzan in the title, Lord of the Jungle is not synonymous with Tarzan for all people.

agreed.
BB

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By No_Name_
@Billy Batson

@pikahyper said:

agreed.
BB

I don't think they can, legally. But I will be honest, it didn't click with me at first that it was Tarzan.
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Babs said:

@Billy Batson

@pikahyper said:

agreed.
BB

I don't think they can, legally. But I will be honest, it didn't click with me at first that it was Tarzan.

Did they acquire the license for Tarzan? At the beginning of the article you just said "Lord of the Jungle" but towards the end you say "Tarzan and the Lord of the Jungle".

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Dynamite just keeps getting better for me, I will be picking this up.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By IrishX

I'd rather Dynamite focus on the titles they already have. (Hint: Project Superpowers)
jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By jubilee042

@Babs: me too i thought it was someone else

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Decept-O

Tarzan is one of the properties from Edgar Rice Burroughs that has continually been in contention regarding whether its public domain or if the Burroughs' estate can lay claim to it. Don't know if there will be any problems but it looks like Dynamite is managing to circumvent any possible conflict but I would prefer to have it "official" Tarzan. A minor quibble I guess, but Dynamite still manages to put out some great comics with great properties. Other titles are a bit more expensive but at least this will be just $1.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Now this should be something interesting. I'd love to get this eventually!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By No_Name_

@pikahyper said:

@Babs said:

@Billy Batson

@pikahyper said:

agreed.
BB

Did they acquire the license for Tarzan? At the beginning of the article you just said "Lord of the Jungle" but towards the end you say "Tarzan and the Lord of the Jungle".

It's actually one and the same but "Tarzan' stories diverge from the original Edgar Rice Burroughs stories. I think that Dynamite's new series will be based on/stem directly from the Burroughs novel from 100 years ago.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Babs: Guess we will have to wait until it comes out to see, I just think it is a little odd not to use Tarzan in the title, they could potentially lose a lot of sales because of it.

MadMikeyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By MadMikeyD

The Burroughs Estate has trademark on the name Tarzan. The first 8 books are public domain. Dynamite is basing this on the public domain material. They are not calling it Tarzan to avoid legal trouble. This is the same thing they did with their "Warlord of Mars" series, because the Burroughs Estate has trademark on the name John Carter, but the first 5 John Carter books are public domain.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#14  Edited By The Impersonator

Yeah, this series should be called Tarzan: Lord of the Jungle.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Primmaster64

Cool