• 56 results
Posted by G-Man (18916 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the Spider? The Spider was one of the greatest pulp characters. In his alter ego identity, Richard Wentworth is a decorated war hero and son of a wealthy industrialist. With crime increasing in New York City, he transforms himself into The Spider. Using his wits, technology and pistols, he fights a one-man war against crime.

Alex Ross cover

Today, Dynamite Entertainment has announced their plans on bringing the character into the 21st Century. The series will be written by comic writer and novelist, David Liss (BLACK PANTHER: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR) and drawn by Colton Worley with covers by Alex Ross, John Cassaday, Ron Lesser and Francesco Francavilla.

What does David Liss have to say about the Spider?

Part of what always made The Spider so cool was the sheer scope of destruction caused by his villains. The Spider's enemies thought nothing of demolishing city blocks, killing thousands, turning countless innocents into mindless slaves. Faced with crime this insane, The Spider had turn himself into a force of equal ferocity, destruction and ruthlessness. He's the most badass and take-no-prisoners of the pulp heroes because he has to be, and it's been absolutely awesome transferring that kind of sentiment from the 1930s to contemporary times. Some things have been updated, but he's still the kind of vigilante that makes the bad guys wet their pants.
== TEASER ==

Colton Worley also mentioned what he has planned:

This book has it all. It's got action, pulp, noir, horror, romance...everything you could ever want in a story all in one place. And helping to create the world that David Liss has set up has been a great experience.

Check out the rest of the released images.

John Cassaday cover
Francesco Francavilla cover
Ron Lesser cover

The Spider was created by Harry Steeger with novels written by Norvell W. Page.

THE SPIDER #1 is on sale this May.

#1 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

Interested!

#2 Posted by Walley (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks really good, I never read anything from Dynamite beside there Evil Dead stuff. Love Alex Ross cover ^.^

#3 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

wow I mean WOW

#4 Posted by NightFang (10271 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great.

#5 Posted by JonesDeini (3501 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna be all over this right here!!!! Liss bread and butter is pulp stories. If you've read Mystery Men then you should be salivating for this book as I am now. And if you haven't go out and get it ASAP!!! It was one of the best comics of 2011.

#6 Posted by Hellsprings (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The city looks like Gotham, i like that :)

#7 Posted by NightFang (10271 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hellsprings said:

The city looks like Gotham, i like that :)

Well New York City is also called Gotham.

#8 Posted by ARMIV2 (8853 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks sick!

#9 Posted by thecheckeredman (288 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the great pulp heroes...very interested!

#10 Posted by Arevish (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello you, spider-man noir.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohhhhh Yeaaaa

#12 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (925 posts) - - Show Bio

David Liss is an excellent writer. If you haven't checked out Mystery Men, you should.

#13 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

About time!!! Been waiting for news on this since the first announcement last August. The art looks amazing. Even updated, it still has that pulpy feel.

#14 Posted by G-Man (18916 posts) - - Show Bio

And people should be aware that the Spider was created in 1933. I've heard people saying that he's a Spider-Man and the Spirit rip off. He was created before both of them.

#15 Posted by Hellsprings (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

And people should be aware that the Spider was created in 1933. I've heard people saying that he's a Spider-Man and the Spirit rip off. He was created before both of them.

ah it's explains why the city looks like batman which also takes place in in the 30's.

and yes i know Gotham = NY but the NY of 2012 is not like the gotham of 30's. ^^

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hellsprings said:

@G-Man said:

ah it's explains why the city looks like batman which also takes place in in the 30's.

and yes i know Gotham = NY but the NY of 2012 is not like the gotham of 30's. ^^

None of what you just said made sense 
#17 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I saw the cover and concept and I was like 'meh' then I looked at that interiors art and I was like 'whoa.' I seriously might have to check this out.

#18 Posted by psbrown1989 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

90% chance I will start this book when it comes out, looks awesome!!!!!!

#19 Posted by Decept-O (7294 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that design quite a bit. Moonstone has been doing a regular run of The Spider and in a pulp style, veering off from the traditional comic book format. In their rendition, they have about a 1/2 page showing art and the lower portion with the story text underneath on each page. The Spider is public domain so it is interesting to see this version. Again, I love that costume design.

#20 Posted by mettlekm (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Hellsprings said:

@G-Man said:

None of what you just said made sense

i understood it.

#21 Posted by SpidermanWins (3963 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow awesome that they're bringing him back

#22 Posted by BoyWander (319 posts) - - Show Bio

with the recent black beetle and now the spider... *sigh* guess there are only so many themes you can use before overlapping with a much more popular character...

#23 Posted by Deadcool (6755 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool!

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
@BoyWander said:

with the recent black beetle and now the spider... *sigh* guess there are only so many themes you can use before overlapping with a much more popular character...

Dude The Spider is 30 years older than Spider-Man
#25 Posted by DIOMJK (155 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty freaking awesome. Better than Black Beetle to be sure. I'm sold.

#26 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: WOW see i figured he was a rip off but im glad to know that he was his own thing. That makes him more interesting to me now

#27 Posted by CitizenJP (627 posts) - - Show Bio

Whaaat he looks pretty cool! I like the Noir theme going on here.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty sad when people think one of the greatest pulp heroes of all time that's been around for 80 years is a rip off!!

#29 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

@clemj said:

wow I mean WOW
#30 Posted by longbowhunter (7734 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, these layouts look amazing. I'm such a sucker for pulp characters too.

#31 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

im def interested now

#32 Posted by Icon (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care much for the 30's pulp/noir genre, but the art is top notch in terms of quality.

#33 Posted by Mumbles (843 posts) - - Show Bio

looks lame

#34 Posted by friendlyNeighborhoodSpidey (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the art won me over on this one. It looks pretty great. I'll definitely check it out. Actually, Stan Lee has said The Spider inspired him to create Spider-Man. It's cool to see the influence go the other way. Definitely more of an anti-hero here than Spidey is. Branding your vicims on the forehead, man. Leaving them tied up in webs is definitely more humane. Now if I only new the New York skyline better, I might be able tell what year it was...

#35 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Freaking sweet!

#36 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

So this guy came before Spider-Man?

#37 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

So this guy came before Spider-Man?

Yep way before.

#38 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah anyone who thinks this is a rip-off needs to think of their superhero history. Richard Wentworth has Peter Parker beat by 30 years. Dynamite, I think you're gonna score another home run with this. Wonderful!

#39 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

always love a good mask and fedora hero.

#40 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks amazing!

Almost Batwoman-ysh!

#41 Posted by Dedpool (376 posts) - - Show Bio

Best looking Pulp hero ever!!

#42 Posted by SadiaVicious (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Look's Amazing this Spider-Guy.

#43 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O: So you are one of the few people that know the Spider has been brought back by Moonstone for awhile my question is why did Comic Vine never announce it when it came out. They always talk about lets buy more indie stuff, but they never seem to talk about it. Anyways its just my 2 cents.

#44 Posted by Decept-O (7294 posts) - - Show Bio

@KidSupreme: I wouldn't say Comic Vine is always talking about "buy more Indie stuff". They've encouraged it, yes, but not to a very large degree as you are saying here. In their defense, they have to cover a lot of news and info regarding the larger volume publishers because those are what people are buying. Not that it is a bad thing. Look how many titles Marvel and DC put out, it is quite a lot. They do cover Dark Horse titles, and often do stories from publishers like Top Cow, Aspen and Slave Labor Graphics. G-Man often covers news pertaining to Indie titles and I know Sara Lima has also covered a few stories pertaining to Aspen and Top Cow.

Regarding Moonstone, they've also carried Lee Falk's The Phantom for awhile. I believe Comic Vine did do a cover story about Captain Action, a title Moonsone has the rights to carry and have done for awhile as well.

Far as I know, and I keep up with this but I do believe The Spider is a public domain character. Meaning anyone can use him in any way, comic book or otherwise. Obviously you can't use Dynamite's version as he appears here. So there is bound to be the fact Comic Vine simply didn't know about Moonstone's version or didn't feel necessary to cover.

#45 Posted by SneakyBawls (24 posts) - - Show Bio

So word on the street is Spider-Man got The Spirit passed out on roofies and knocked him up....and this is the by-product.

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio
@SneakyBawls said:

So word on the street is Spider-Man got The Spirit passed out on roofies and knocked him up....and this is the by-product.

*sigh* The Spider is 30 years older than Spider-Man, please check your facts.
#47 Posted by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not very enticed by noir/grim and gritty books, but this looks VERY well done and I predict an instant cult hit from this. Thank you to for bringing such a nice comic history factoid to light as well G-Man. I did not know that this character existed much like a few here, nor that he came before many he would presume to be inspired from.

#48 Posted by Migz13 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Very very Pulp.

It's like The Shadow, Batman, The Spirit and Spider-Man all rolled into one!

#49 Posted by Project_Worm (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

YEAH!! Rorschach and Spider-Man amalgam FTW!!!

#50 Posted by BADJEREMIE (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Look good