Dynamite Entertainment Announces J.T. Krul and the Return of THE OWL

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Dynamite Entertainment is known for resurrecting classic characters. They've been bringing in top talent to do the character justice. With the Owl, they're are continuing the tradition.

The Owl will return in his own limited series, written by J.T. Krul and art by Heubert Khan Michael. Alex Ross will provide the covers.

No Caption Provided

What happens in the first issue, the Owl finds himself returned to the world after being lost "for 50 years in an ethereal limbo." He's determined to continue his fight against evil and now have to try to adapt to violent world full of strangers. Knowing his friends and the woman he loved are gone should prove interesting in seeing how it plays out.

J.T. Krul said the following:

"With a character like the Owl, I get to explore the heart of a true hero whose greatest threat seems to be the soul of the entire world around him. Nick Terry used to live in a golden age it seemed, but he now finds himself in our present day - and a world filled with greed, apathy, and utter desperation at every turn. It's the mark of a true hero, staying true to one's ideals when there is little hope to be found. In this story, he'll see what his mission and legacy has become and it will scare him more than anything else."

Besides the Alex Ross cover, there will also be a Subscription Only Exclusive cover by Ardian Syaf.

No Caption Provided

THE OWL #1 is on sale in July.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

So this is where DC got the insperation for the Court of Owls...owls? I might check it out, looks interesting.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

looks cool

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This dude's got a pretty sweet looking outfit.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By kagato

Ardian Syaf has been knocking it out of the park with his cover work on the likes of Evil Ernie and does it again on this issue of this series, i hope he finds his way onto one of the podcasts at some point.

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The costume is nice, but the colors are so... Campy...

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

The costume is nice, but the colors are so... Campy...

This is a Golden Age character, and this is what the costume looked like. The Owl was very much a riff on Batman, and the colors on the second cover are the same as Superman's. They can't all be black leather and trenchcoats.

Bad_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm actually pretty interested in this; I applied one of his villains who had fallen into public domain into something I was writing.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

That Ross cover is awesome...a lil purple maybe for my taste but still nice. I'm really liking how Dynamite's serving up the pulp masked avenger heroes as of late. Excellent choice to emphasize!

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Aww c'mon the Owl too?? *sigh*

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By IrishX

Did you read Project Superpowers?? I thought you would have liked it.

Dynamite has done great things with the older characters. This is great news and I can't wait for this series. It's been so long and finally PS fans get a little something at least. Other good Dynamite comics out right now are The Spider, Masks, and I'm looking forward to the Black Bat comic as well.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

@irishx said:

@turoksonofstone said:

Dynamite has done great things with the older characters. This is great news and I can't wait for this series. It's been so long and finally PS fans get a little something at least. Other good Dynamite comics out right now are The Spider, Masks, and I'm looking forward to the Black Bat comic as well.

Yeah I did read Black Terror/Project Superpowers etc. Some of it had really weak writing while some was O.K. I do enjoy the stuff with the Shadow quite a bit though.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@irishx said:

@turoksonofstone said:

Yeah I did read Black Terror/Project Superpowers etc. Some of it had really weak writing while some was O.K. I do enjoy the stuff with the Shadow quite a bit though.

They definitely had some issues like with trying to introduce too many characters together and story problems as well. Some other things I just loved though and I'm still over on the Dynamite forums these days pushing for more from Project Superpowers. The Owl was one of those characters I wanted to see more of so I'm particularly looking forward to this one.

I'm not reading The Shadow but I hear mixed opinion on it. Some dislike how different it is from the original while others love the Dynamite version of him. Mostly I hear good stuff though.