Posted by G-Man (29417 posts) - - Show Bio

This week marks the full release of the first batch of DC's "The New 52" books. Among them is Detective Comics #1. Yesterday USA Today scored an exclusive preview for the issue and included some thoughts from writer/artist Tony Daniel. With this issue being the first Detective Comics #1 since 1937, you have to admit that yes, it is history in the making in some ways. There is a bit of pressure here and Tony Daniel admits that he was feeling it.

There was a lot of pressure when I found out I'd be doing this to come up with something really, really, really good. I'm not sure how many times I want to say really, but really good.
== TEASER ==

From the preview, you can see that Batman and the GCPD still aren't getting along.

We can see that, as in Justice League #1, the GCPD still isn't too fond of Batman. There is a reason for this. According to the USA Today article, Detective Comics will take place five years in the past, just as in Justice League. That explains a bit. It's also mentioned that Batman will have an ally in Commissioner Gordon. Gordon is limited in what he can do to help Batman since the mayor is eager to have Batman arrested and blames the influx of new villains in Gotham on Batman's rising popularity among citizens.

Joker will be featured but there will be someone higher up in the underworld than the Joker, a new villain created by Daniel named Dollmaker. We'll find out this week how deadly this new villain is compared to Joker.

Staff
#1 Posted by scnjedi (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to reading this. Daniel's writing might not be the best, but his art is excellent and I'm enjoying the cheesy noir narration.

#2 Posted by longbowhunter (5837 posts) - - Show Bio

I just begrudgingly finished Daniel's run on Batman. I really hated seeing the Riddler as a gun toting pychopath. Gotham has enough of those. He was great as the snake in the grass private investigator.
#3 Posted by FalcomAdol (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Dollmaker isn't another Pyg.

I like that the first arcs of this and Justice League are kind of "Year One" type stories. Not "origin stories" but good starting points, and framing what is to come in tone and context.

#4 Posted by Sharkey (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a bit unsure on this one, but judging by this preview and Mr Daniel's statement to use new villains over recycling old ones means I'm picking the first issue up tomorrow.  

I just only noticed the ball doll heads on the cover and on the third page of the preview, obviously a trademark calling card of this Dollmaker fellow. I look forward to his reveal. :)

#5 Posted by VprVnmSRT10 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I think every single Bat book is going to be amazing. Cant wait. Wednesday is a wee couple of hours away.

I have been waiting patiently to get into Detective Comics and Batman. So far I have been collecting Batman and Robin and I will continue to do so.

What are you guys and gals collecting from the Bat books?

#6 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

eh, im not the biggest fan of Daniels writing but his art is awesome. i def will be picking this up.

#7 Posted by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

It's becoming increasingly clear that DC is trying to unify their universe across all media, it's not just another reboot, but an attempt to put Batman on the same level across comics, films games etc ... The DC IP is too valuable to keep it at comic books and I think we're about to see a media blitz that will make Marvel look like amateurs.

#8 Posted by nukethewhalesagain (4 posts) - - Show Bio

That was not great. As soon as I read "I own the night." I started imagining all of Batman's inner monologue being read through Christian Bale's fake Batman voice. If this was going to be the premiere Batman book (as it should be) they should really have kept Scott Snyder on it.

#9 Posted by G-Man (29417 posts) - - Show Bio

@nukethewhalesagain: Looks like this will be Batman's early days while Scott has told us some of his plans in Batman's current time. I'm excited for both of these now. I like that this title will be showing us some of Batman's early times in this relaunched universe.

Staff
#10 Posted by scnjedi (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite the critical acclaim of Snyder's Tec run, I'm pretty sure the main Batman title sold better, if only by virtue of it being called Batman. I'm looking forward to what Snyder does with the Batman book, and the idea of an 11 issue opening arc is genuinely exciting, but I also have room for a Bat title with shorter arcs and a much smaller cast.

#11 Edited by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy sh*t that looks looks awesome! I wish we had a list tho of all the books that are taking place in a different timeline.

#12 Posted by humanfly26 (1487 posts) - - Show Bio
@longbowhunter said:
I just begrudgingly finished Daniel's run on Batman. I really hated seeing the Riddler as a gun toting pychopath. Gotham has enough of those. He was great as the snake in the grass private investigator.
THIS!

I am looking forward to Snyder's Batman much more. However, I am a little bit more excited for this after learning it will be a "five years ago" book like Justice League and Action Comics. For some reason, figuring out how we got to the new status quo intrigues me. I wonder how long these three books will be set in the past...
#13 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

His writing may not be the best but damn his arts amazing. lets hope the storys as good as the art

#14 Posted by kennybaese (1003 posts) - - Show Bio

This Batman kind of feels like a post The Dark Knight Batman. I wonder if that's what they were going for to try to hook in fans of the Nolan movies.

Also, let's hope editorial keeps Tony Daniel from going completely nuts like he did when he was writing Batman. Battle for the Cowl was great, but most of everything he did after that went downhill really quickly.

#15 Posted by ltbrd (552 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't know how I feel about Action Comics and Detective Comics being 5+ years in the past compared to the regular books. I just don't see this being less confusing to new readers but more I'm worried that each book's writer will do something or put something into canon that isn't backed up or is completely contradicted in the other book. 

Though it does make a good vessel to show how we got from Batman solo to Dick as Robin all the way to Damian. I wonder how often the series will time jump. Could see it being based on arcs rather than consistent timeline where this first arc or two is Batman solo, introducing Dick, then a few with Dick and so on down the line. But that seems too much like redoing the origins so maybe not.
#16 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't really say anything about that preview that hasn't already been said about every other comic book by Tony S. Daniel.
Art  = Great 
Writing = YMMV

#17 Edited by johnny_spam (2028 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony Daniel's art looks better than ever but this looks bad in terms of story. And why do so many writers keep wanting Batman to return to a Year One setting? Making Batman fight cops or being a urban legend contributes nothing and only back peddles progress.

#18 Posted by xScorchedx (74 posts) - - Show Bio

I think i'll be getting the other batman book.

#19 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

The GCPD in New 52 reminds me a whole lot some reason of the special SWAT teams that GCPD had in the Batman: Year One story-line.  Clearly Loeb is not the Commissioner once again but the department itself seems very Loebish.  Wow, wish I was getting this as well now.

#20 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1160 posts) - - Show Bio

Like with almost everyone above, Tony Daniel's artwork is great, but I'm mixed when it comes to his writing. I'll give this issue a look.

#21 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny_spam said:
Tony Daniel's art looks better than ever but this looks bad in terms of story. And why do so many writers keep wanting Batman to return to a Year One setting? Making Batman fight cops or being a urban legend contributes nothing and only back peddles progress.
Batman being chased by the police is not necessarily a year one setting. It goes back to the very first Batman issues by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and is an essential part of the mythos.
#22 Posted by johnny_spam (2028 posts) - - Show Bio
@spaceboy: @spaceboy said:
@johnny_spam said:
Batman being chased by the police is not necessarily a year one setting. It goes back to the very first Batman issues by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and is an essential part of the mythos.
And it was  resolved early on and one of the points of Gordon was that he protected Batman from legal consequences. It just is not necessary anymore.
#23 Posted by longbowhunter (5837 posts) - - Show Bio
@humanfly26
I dont know about the other titles but Lee and Johns said only the first arc of Justice League will take place 5 years in the past.
#24 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny_spam said:
@spaceboy: @spaceboy said:
@johnny_spam said:
And it was  resolved early on and one of the points of Gordon was that he protected Batman from legal consequences. It just is not necessary anymore.
If you are going to show the early days of Batman, you have to show him being a vigilante. Vigilante as in outlaw. The whole point of the relaunch is to draw in new readers who might not be familiar with older stories.  That inevitable means you have to establish important elements of the mythos that older readers who are more familiar with the character are already aware of. 

Then there is the continuity thing.  If Batman is wanted by the police in Justice League they'll hunt him in his own series as well, given that these stories take place at the same time in the past.
#25 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Something is off with Batman's right leg on the very 1st reveal.

Also, is that a shadow or are the undies back on?

#26 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (825 posts) - - Show Bio

Fool me once shame on me, Fool me twice 2nd chances were given, Fool me thrice it's not gonna happen again. 
Daniels just needs to stop with the whole Batman Year one/Long Halloween type of Batman. Or better yet just stop writing Batman or just stop writing. Your a great artist but your writing (tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk ugh)

#27 Posted by Bestostero (5611 posts) - - Show Bio

I know people are weary since they swapped Snyder, but Detective Comics is still an iconic title and I will definitely get it, but I'll have no problem dropping it if it doesn't pull me in.

#28 Posted by I_Am_Dark (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Only nineteen murders a year?

#29 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

Daniel is really underrated as an artist. I'm looking forward to this. I enjoy seeing different writers different takes on the greatest character in comics.
#30 Posted by Bat_Mite51 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have a problem with Tony Daniel's artwork, its just his storytelling is kinda weak. His Batman run was anything too spectacular in my opinion.

#31 Posted by War Killer (19485 posts) - - Show Bio

Art looks good and the writing seems great as well Like how he mentions how the cops are so caught up in catching him that they completely forget about the child. But overall I'm looking more forward to Snyder's Batman over anything else.

#32 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

Mayor blames batman for crimes, give it until #10 when they make Batman a national hero (that is certainly when they will finally except heroes, hopefully). 

#33 Posted by Grimoire (503 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks great IMO. lol

#34 Posted by Omegalpha (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully, the writing is up to the great artwork. It would be nice to see Daniel take that next step.

#35 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, so, that's Justice League, Action Comics, and Detective Comics set in the past. Anything else too?

#36 Posted by Croi (143 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:
The GCPD in New 52 reminds me a whole lot some reason of the special SWAT teams that GCPD had in the Batman: Year One story-line.  Clearly Loeb is not the Commissioner once again but the department itself seems very Loebish.  Wow, wish I was getting this as well now.
I agree completely about the Year-One thing. Just a flashback as soon as I saw it.
#37 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3318 posts) - - Show Bio
@SUPER-MAN 23 said:
Mayor blames batman for crimes, give it until #10 when they make Batman a national hero (that is certainly when they will finally except heroes, hopefully). 
Hopefully they won't do this. The whole reason that they have some of the books exist so far in the past is that they don't have to conform to the particular hero's standings in society. They already have a book where everyone trusts batman, they should take advantage of a book that exists at the beginning of his career.
#38 Posted by Migz13 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me a lot of Year One. The Artwork looks good though. I hope the storytelling is just as great.

#39 Posted by The Impersonator (4307 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi Batman. I'm Dollmaker and I make dolls.

#40 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to read this!! Unless I get off work early tomorrow I'm gonna have to wait until Friday

#41 Edited by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I want Morrison to finish what he was doing, but this actually looks like at least a disposable but enjoyable read. it doesn't look like anything special by any means, but it looks like quick fun to get my Batman vs Joker fix.

Anyone else get the feeling that this might be trying to be in line with the way the Dark Knight ended? I don't know. It makes sense. If it's supposed to get new readers, those readers most likely watched the Dark Knight. EVERYONE did.

#42 Posted by JonesDeini (3616 posts) - - Show Bio
@longbowhunter said:
I hope Snyder keeps Riddler as the latter. I like him being a bit morally ambiguous. Not a true villain, just a as you said sleazy private eye. 
#43 Posted by playhouse (12 posts) - - Show Bio

So... 'Detective Comics' is set five years in the past, alongside 'Action Comics' first arc and 'Justice League' for the time being.  And the Joker has been operating for 6 years at the start of 'Detective', which means he's been around for 11 years in the "current" time period.  I'm wondering if Batman has been around as long as the Joker, since it's said that Batman has been operating for several years in the shadows prior to Superman making his first public appearance and becoming the "first" superhero.  If not, I'm wondering how long prior to the start of 'Detective' Batman started.  

I would say, given the rest of the Bat-family books taking place in current time, including Dick as Nightwing, retaining the majority of Batman continuity, that Batman started his career 11 years ago.  Does that make sense?

#44 Posted by olcanucklehead (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else notice the person in the glowing red cape in ALL of the new 52 comics? Seems like I haven't seen anyone talk about this chump