Celebrate Indy Comic Book Week With 'The Rejects'!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Check out the preview and images of indy Anthony Ferrante's comic 'The Rejects'

No Caption Provided

We may not have very many mainstream comic books being released this week, but the good news is that we will be seeing a lot of independent titles, being that it is Indy Comic Book Week, which we cited yesterday. Because of this, I thought it would be a cool idea to interview and preview independent comic book work from Anthony Ferrante, a creator who is actively involved in Indy Comic Book week. I feel like we can learn a lot from Anthony's experience as an independent creator, and he gives us some tips on getting started. After you've checked a few pages from his book, feel free to read the really informative interview below! What do you think of 'The Rejects'? If you like what you see, check out Anthony's website and buy your copy of 'The Rejects,' shipped to your house, today! 

CV: When and how did you decide you wanted to create your own comic?
AF: I've always wanted to do this for as long as I can remember. I know that's really  cliché , but it's a genuine answer. I would always read articles about how hard it was to "break into the industry" as they say, and they would always be so negative. It's really very discouraging to hear that from people you idolize as creators. At a certain point, your desire to do what you really love and enjoy outweighs the naysayers. Who knows? Maybe I won't ever work for Marvel or DC, but at least I can say I created something I'm proud of and in my opinion I'm just as much a comic book creator as anybody who does.
The idea came to me one caffeine-fueled night, just tossing ideas back and forth with a friend of mine. Eventually, something stuck and I just began to elaborate on it. Things sort of flowed and this concept was born. The Rejects is a product of being such a fan of books like Rising Stars, X-Men, Warren Ellis' run on Authority. I like team books with a basis in reality, with interesting takes on old ideas. I think that's a lot of what you'll see in The Rejects.

CV: How long did it take you to develop the book? 
AF: From beginning to end it's been almost two years. Finding the right artist and letting him do his thing took the majority of that time. There were a lot of disappointments on the way to where the book is now, it was tough to not get discouraged when a couple of artists bailed, but it all worked out in the end.

CV: Did you get it published yourself? What was the process like? 
AF: Yes, this is published by myself. It really isn't as hard as some people not keen to all of it would tend to think. Digital printing is at such a great quality today, it's not just for ashcans anymore. I used Ka-Blam! printing and they did a wonderful job. Being involved with Indy Comic Book Week helped immensely, as did the knowledge of other creators shared on Twitter. I don't mind publishing this at my own cost, it's something I've wanted to do, something I wanted to accomplish. I'd love for a publisher to take a look and be interested, but until that happens I'm creator/publisher/distributor.
Avatar image for ravaginghamster
RavagingHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RavagingHamster

another one goes on my list to check out ^^

Zombielunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Zombielunch
@RavagingHamster said:

" another one goes on my list to check out ^^ "

This probably marks the first time I'm on a list that didn't begin with "sh!t-". Thanks for checking it out, hope you like it :)
AVM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AVM

Looks pretty good.  I have been thinking about taking up comic book reading again and may have to start with The Rejects.  Very nice work.

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LP

He's right - it's great to see someone working their way up in the biz without a horror story....

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By FoxxFireArt

It took two years for him to find an artist to draw like that? I can't really speak to the quality of the story, but just look at that fourth image. I can't tell if she was knocked out or if she fell asleep. The body language is all wrong.

Fook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fook

Excellent work man.  Love the art style and the color choice especially.

rule09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rule09

Looks great. The illustrations seem to have an interesting old school look as well. Story sounds interesting to say the least; keep it up.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By FoxxFireArt
@WilliesC: 
Bravo, on actually spelling my name correctly. As to the rest of your "witty" insight. I stand by my statement. What isn't needed here is tossing vulgarities around at anyone you happen to disagree with.

If you are looking for more specifics in what I mean. Far as I know, the story could be extremely well written. The concept seems interesting enough. It's the art that is seriously hit or complete miss from what I see here. I realize that I'm looking at samples, but from what I can see.  Some of the panels look really well done. To look at that fourth image again. That first panel really doesn't sell a strike. If it wasn't for the added sound effect. I would think he missed. The second panel looks really pretty in contrast. Good drawing and ink work. The color gives it a really lovely look.

At first the second image looks like a very nicely drawn and colored page, but there is a noticeable flaw in the art. Bring your eyes to the first panel of the girl in bed. Notice her legs are curled upward as she is relaxing in bed. You see where the bed ends? It's right at her feet. If she were to extend her legs the bed would end and her knees. Who has a bed that short? Though, I should also consider that she's sleeping in some child's bed for some reason. It's plausible.
This could just be an isolated incident, but it happens again in the sixth panel to the fifth and sixth image. Notice that despite her legs being bent upward, this examination table ends right at her feet. If she extended her legs they would stretch well off the table. It's not as if she is shown being any taller then the others in that third image.
drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By drawme

Nice!

Irrelevant402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Irrelevant402

Man I remember when you showed concept art where your artist had a style like that of who draws the Loeb Hulk comic. Glad to see this come to light!