Posted by G-Man (37759 posts) - - Show Bio

Zombies are everywhere these days. Everyone is also dying to go to Comic-Con. Pairing the two together makes perfect sense.

BOOM! Studios is prepared to unleash the latest zombie tale with FANBOYS VS. ZOMBIES by indie sensation Sam Humphries and newcoming Jerry Gaylord.

Bickering best friends find themselves trapped inside of America's largest comic book convention after it's been transformed into a cauldron of flesh-eating zombies. Armed with their knowledge of comic books and skills earned from countless hours of video games, it will be the ultimate battle for survival.

Writer Sam Humphries reveals a little more on what we can expect:

FVZ is the UFC of nerd battles. Hall H is going to be turned into an action/horror/comedy abattoir. I've been going to San Diego Comic Con for ten years. Plenty of time to formulate a zombie apocalypse getaway AND a plan for total Comic Con devastation. It is going to be so on.
== TEASER ==

The first issue will only cost you one dollar and ships in April. The main covers come in a 30/30/30/10 split by Humberto Ramos, Alé Garza, Khary Randolph and Matteo Scalera. There will also be a 1-in-25 wrap around "Where's the zombie?" incentive by Ulises Farinas, a 1-in-50 sketch incentive by Humberto Ramos and a 1-in-75 sketch incentive by Alé Garza. If that's not enough for you, there will also be a special 1-in-200 CGC 9.8 near mint variant by MARVEL ZOMBIES artist Arthur Suydam.

Check out the rest of the covers below.

#1 Posted by Renchamp (2925 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I love this idea. Sounds like a hint of meta in there.

Moderator Online
#2 Posted by kennybaese (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

The Slave Leia zombie is pretty great.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34359 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome, that last one is like where's wally.  

#4 Posted by ProjektGill (68 posts) - - Show Bio

The art looks great from the promo shots and it kind of reminds me of Dawn of the Dead but with a bit more humor.

#5 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7954 posts) - - Show Bio

I did lol, Clever idea.

#6 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like this would be a pretty fun concept for an indie movie

#7 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be either incredibly good or terribly forgettable, lets hope for the former

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34359 posts) - - Show Bio

This kind of reminds me of the first issue of Infestation 2

#9 Posted by NightFang (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chibi-Iroh said:

Seems like this would be a pretty fun concept for an indie movie

#10 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Meta as hell.

#11 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

This strikes me as unoriginal self-congratulation from the industry. Artistic wankery. It could certainly rise above and deliver something worthwhile but I certainly wouldn't expect it.

#12 Posted by StarKiller809 (1239 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this sounds like a fun idea and I will try the first issue if it is at my comic shop.

#13 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

YEAH!! Fanboys kicking zombies' butts, What can be better?!?

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34359 posts) - - Show Bio

Fanboy stomp

#15 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

When there's no more room in San Diego...the fanboys will walk the Earth.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34359 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

When there's no more room in San Diego...the fanboys will walk the Earth.

lol
#17 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad to see Boom is getting some good ongoings...not that the previous ones weren't good...just they have more of them...

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17854 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty awesome, definitely will give it a shot.

#19 Posted by Punisher007 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

#20 Posted by Technicolorville (67 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this might be actually, pretty good. I remember when I saw the preview for "Kick-Ass", I thought it was dumb. My friends wanted to see it, so I saw it nonetheless. I had low expectations, but found it really funny and enjoyed it. I expect to have the same reaction to this comic.

#21 Posted by MoodyKingMoron (137 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I agree, it seems like the type of pandering that appeals to the same crowd that buys Scott Pilgrim. I suspect its going to be yet another unoriginal reference fest.

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34359 posts) - - Show Bio
@MoodyKingMoron said:

@fodigg: I agree, it seems like the type of pandering that appeals to the same crowd that buys Scott Pilgrim. I suspect its going to be yet another unoriginal reference fest.

Whats wrong with the "crowd" that buys Scott Pilgrim?
#23 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8160 posts) - - Show Bio

Im getting an Army of Darkness vs Obama comic rip off feeling

#24 Posted by The Impersonator (5591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Punisher007 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@MoodyKingMoron said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What the flying hell is wrong with the crowd that buys Scott Pilgrim?

#26 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@MoodyKingMoron said:

Scott Pilgrim was certainly a pop-culture reference bonanza, but it also had a unique plot, interesting characters, and some trippily unique presentation. This seems to not only include pop-culture references, but be about them. It's literally a merging of a generic popular concept (zombies) with the largest marketing event in the industry, and that's it. However, if they somehow infuse it with the character and life of SP, it will succeed. I just don't anticipate that happening.

You might be right at which demographic it's targeting, but I anticipate the quality being more Meet the Spartans than Scott Pilgrim.

#27 Posted by MoodyKingMoron (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mean anything against the fans of Scott Pilgrim, its just that I don't really like the barrage of pop culture references. There's a growing problem with everything trying to be self-aware (I blame post-modernism) and I guess I just found Scott Pilgrim to be a bit annoying. Again, I'm sorry if my comment offended fans.

As for Fanboys Vs. Zombies, the problem with media works that focus on contemporary nerd culture is that most of them try to pander too much. I will give Scott Pilgrim credit for at least possessing a coherent narrative and a unique way of presenting it. This book will probably be nothing but all the positive stereotypes of nerds and none of the negative ones. I'd actually pay to see something similar to the movie Fanboys where the film can still criticize contemporary nerd culture without being overly mean.

#28 Posted by billzombie (2 posts) - - Show Bio

hey cool guys but its been done. www.zombieconthemovie.com way to rip off the little guy boom!

#29 Posted by billzombie (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Rip off of zombie con! lol, can't boom! ever do anything orignal.

check them on face book

#30 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Read it an I kind of liked it. I really liked the illustration. That won me over. My only problem was that the women sounded like men.