Posted by G-Man (36682 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to admit, in all my years of reading comic books, I thought I'd seen it all. We've seen tons of "What If" type stories but what's coming up in ARCHIE #636 is something unexpected.

We've all heard the line, "Anything boys can do, girls can do better." That will be put to the test as Archie and the gang switch genders. Who has it easier, boys or girls? Will the question be answered or will they find both sexes have it difficult?

We'll find out in August.

== TEASER ==

ARCHIE #636

“The Great Switcheroo” – Growing up as a teenage boy can rough! But not more so than a teen girl, right? Upon overhearing the guys and gals of Riverdale grumbling over how the other half has it easier, Sabrina’s mischievous cat Salem turns the town upside down when he dishes out the ultimate genetic makeover! Chaos ensues as the teens discover it’s not as easy to walk in each other’s shoes (or heels!) as they originally thought, so it’s up to Sabrina to set things right! Will Salem’s spell wear off, thus giving the gang a new appreciation for who they are, or will the switch up become permanent? Find out in this off-the-wall issue guest-starring Sabrina the Teenage Witch!

Script: Tania del Rio

Art: Gisele, Rich Koslowski

Cover: Gisele

Variant Cover: Gisele

On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 8/22

32-page, full color comic

$2.99 US.

#1 Edited by Inverno (13315 posts) - - Show Bio

I was done the moment I looked at the title. Y U want turn EVERYTHING into Twilight or Hunger Games for God's sake!?!?!?

#2 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks good. Just that: good.

#3 Posted by Joygirl (20060 posts) - - Show Bio

Weird, Giselle, as in Menage a 3 Giselle? I knew her style was reminiscent of Archie but I didn't know she was actually DRAWING Archie.

#4 Edited by pikahyper (12396 posts) - - Show Bio

creepy o.o

I honestly don't get how Archie is still in business, in the past 15 years barely any comic shops I have been to stock new releases of the non-Sonic/Mega Man titles and the Sonic stuff is usually by special order, how can they even afford the licenses for Sonic, Mega Man or Kiss???

#5 Posted by The Impersonator (5555 posts) - - Show Bio

Then- Two Girls and a Guy.

Now- Two Guys and a Girl.

#6 Posted by Goku13K (1 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl: Holy shit, that totally is Gisele's signature. I had no idea she was doing Archie, maybe that's why she had to stop doing the art for Magik Chicks. Crazy.

#7 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I call foul!! Archie would never be this cute!

#8 Posted by The Poet (8338 posts) - - Show Bio

oh wow...

#9 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Um... wow. Running out of ideas is fun, isn't it?

One thought just disturbs me, though. Female Moose. Yeah... I bet he'll/she'll make an appearance. (shivers)

#10 Posted by Darkmount1 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just wondering---why Archina instead of Angie? That's the best possible 'opposite' of Archie.

#11 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL looks like a fun read!

#12 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta admit, Archina sure is cute! <3

#13 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, now I really HAVE seen everything! Never thought I'd see the day when Archie would get the ole switcheroo!

#14 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

gender bending lol

#15 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

So um......why was my and hectorsquel's comments erased?

#16 Posted by SoA (4919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush: wouldn't that make her Cow?

#17 Posted by Gscythe (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabrina the Teenage Witch was an Archie character?

#18 Posted by NightFang (10129 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks interesting.

#19 Posted by NightFang (10129 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks interesting.

#20 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I am getting this. :)

#21 Posted by fables87 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the Sabria show. But this just looks weird lol

#22 Posted by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper:

that's because Archie works OUTSIDE of the comic-book store network

they are probably the only comic company that still sells their comics in magazine-racks at grocery stores, which is also why you don't tend to hear of their sales

Some researchers actually suggest that they sometimes outsell Marvel and DC

#23 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sekele said:

@pikahyper:

that's because Archie works OUTSIDE of the comic-book store network

they are probably the only comic company that still sells their comics in magazine-racks at grocery stores, which is also why you don't tend to hear of their sales

Some researchers actually suggest that they sometimes outsell Marvel and DC

oh really? exactly how many more units do they sell more?

#24 Posted by pikahyper (12396 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sekele: Must be a lot of people buying their comics on the down low then cause I've never known anyone to admit they read them.

#25 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sekele: That more or less exactly. I put it something to the effect (I can't find the thread in which I did, but there's a few here pertaining to the topic Who reads Archie/How are they in business/Archie sucks ect.) that people locked in the comic readership, generally the mainstream and what not generally don't see the Archie franchise because it's outside of the one they're accustomed to. Archie stands next to properties like Garfield, Snoopy, Scooby Doo, ect, and is equally as recognized as those and any other. It just has a different crowd appealing to it for the most part. Add to the fact that aside from being excellent at catering to it's demographic, in recent years Archie has hit on issues that tend to generate lots of attention in the media, and in particular push the hate buttons of conservatives, this issue in question actually, as well as having a homosexual character in the comics, a character with cancer, ect. As someone put it Archie is " pulling out all the stops ". Just personally I look down on them for any of this, as rather than encouraging any kind of acceptance of diversity, they seem to instead fuel the side that that more or less panders to baby kissing liberals and further the ridicule of certain persons and water down the seriousness in which they should be approached. A few of the immediate responses that reflect on the transgendered community here already solidify that for me (though, they would be there regardless. the trans end of the LGBT spectrum hasn't even begun to gain a spec of consideration from society to date, and is sadly still rendered to being the attractions in freak shows, they were literally not that long ago, so it may just be the order of things as well. Certainly I'm not surprised). But I digress Archie is immensely popular.

@pikahyper: Likewise above, you never have because the demographic for Archie mainly exists outside of the demographic you associate with: the comic book one. It's a separate entity again more next to popular long standing cartoon and Halmark franchises. But you have seen it. here namely. The largest demographic is female/youth. I can recall off hand seeing several posts about having read the book. As well we have a few fans of their other comics here too, especially Sonic. One of the first things I ever saw after joining this site, was a user, I wish I could recall who exactly, post a birthday photo of him and his friends dressed as the Archie characters. Believe it or not as well just two days ago my mother came to me with a box filled with Archie's Digest Comics inquiring about their value (I hate being the gopher on comic stuff, I'm sure I'm not alone). Just because something isn't in our view, doesn't mean it isn't there, or in small number. That much I can say I've learned of anything. I think the best way to explain it is to think more of Archie comics as coloring books. If one said that My Little Pony isn't popular as a comic (I don't know if there is one but for the sake of argument), doesn't change the fact that outside the comic enthusiast circles it's actually a very large entity.

#26 Posted by kamionero (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Archie, I hope you realize that society's double standards now make you a SLUT!

#27 Posted by pikahyper (12396 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: I don't primarily associate with the comic book demographic. In the almost two decades that I've been in comic book retail with various stores I very rarely see people purchase or inquire about mainstream Archie comics (minus Sonic & Mega Man but even they don't do that well sales-wise), I've also worked at two local newsstands, a chain book store, a library, did a little work for Diamond and I've worked with kids for a number of years and it has been over ten years since I've seen or known of anyone that reads them (offline). I also don't see Archie comics as being the same as Garfield, Snoopy, Scooby Doo and the like, while they may appeal to the same demographics I actually know people that are very enthusiastic about those comics in the comic demographic and outside it, I used to read some of them quite a bit and to this day I am still a huge follower of Calvin and Hobbs (The Complete Calvin and Hobbes sits prominently on my bookshelf right now). Sure there are fans online that speak out but that is because of the added anonymity, I'm sure offline their are plenty of "closeted" Archie readers, I've always suspected jlone was one since he always seems to be the one happily adding Archie comics at lightning speed.

I never said their comics were bad though I just don't see how they can sustain their business, I'm sure as a publishing studio they keep things very lean with a minimal staff and it is easier doing business outside of the comic shop/Diamond market but even with a massive print run to all those grocery stories and convenience/liquor stores they can only make so much money because of printing costs, $3.99 for like a 96+ page digest that doesn't print for very cheap these days yet they still make enough money to keep hold of the licenses for Sonic (which can't be cheap) and then go and acquire Mega Man and Kiss... No matter how many copies they sell I just can't see how they can sustain themselves, maybe they have a rich sugar daddy that grew up reading Archie and he doesn't care if the business makes money he just wants to keep reading new Archie comics, could be anything really I mean how can they be still going but not Gemstone? sure the licenses got pulled from them but that was only because of how bad sales were and Gemstone comics were sold in markets other then comic shops and that didn't help them.

Oh and I hold the transgender community in high regard, wonderful individuals and personally I love to have relationships with them, best of both worlds really.

#28 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Like I said, " outside " your view doesn't mean it isn't. It's actually outside of my personal world as well, minus the recent appearance of a bag of them to be priced. I used to think something along the lines you do myself. Someone else made the franchise definition to me though and the Peanuts comparison and it all clicked. As a franchise itself Archie has a large solid foundation and popularity. That alone is what feeds the business. Probably not the comics so much themselves, and they're main sales are more likely done in your general retail outlets like Walmarts and what not (I'm think more the digest sized books that I see every time next to the crossword books at the checkouts though). So more or less it's the other ends of that franchise, like the merchandise for example that pull its revenue.It's definitely there. And there's no shortage of persons that admit to reading Archie here likewise. Again I guess you haven't run into them and therefore don't think they exist. *shrug * In fact Calvin & Hobbes that you mentioned is a good comparison to make. That trademark draws much capitol outside just the printed comics, you know? From books about them, to products with the characters, ect. Whatever licensed product. The same goes for Archie, even when it's a themed college vest, mask, bed sheet, ect. Again another favorite Halmark commodity right there. It has it's markets, but it's largest aren't its comics. So more likely the other avenues keep the printed full sized comics alive in turn. That and Archie is fond of marketing other entities clearly. If you don't see it, you don't. I don't in the specific details, but, there it is maintained anyways. So it has to be selling to someone and enough of someone to be sustaining. The key is to separate the " comics " from it and just look at the Archie character end. Not as popular as Garfield though. You may think in terms of exact number, I'm uncertain, but I clearly meant " along the lines of ". I definitely don't see Garfield in a news headline every two or so or months, I can say that much. Or maybe your right. They don't sell and no one reads them. But what explains the news story we're both speaking in right now, and the users who are familiar with Archie that just posted in this thread? I'm not sure I believe the closeted fan notion here either sorry. People are ashamed to read like...Archie comics? Nah, lmao. But anyways, I don't know what else to say to the fact. As for your opinion of trans that's nice.

#29 Posted by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

RULE 63!!! :P

#30 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

i love it already :-)

#31 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Archie is now a shoujo manga.

#32 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

This does look interesting, its too bad the legal battle at Archie is getting really ugly.

#33 Posted by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE:

I personally always found it fascinating how Archie seems to work in any era, without ever change beyond some cultural context

In fact, I took Archie including a gay character as a sign that mainstream America is finally opening up to the subject - even if kicking and screaming

#34 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn it Sabrina! Why you gotta mess with Archie's gender? This means Jug head won't be consently eating anymore, cause he/she'll be worried about his/her figure and yadda yadda. Also, girl archie looks cute, but boy Veronica and Betty just look the same, but with different hair color.

On a side note, I think it doesn't matter who has it either, just as we acknowledge that boys and girls are equal in most things.

#35 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sekele: Too each their own. Certainly making a comic about the way a male and female " should look " and patronizing gender indifference in order to generate attention in the press is a modern concept? Like I said, guilty baby kissing liberals, I'm unimpressed by the juvenile efforts myself.

#36 Posted by Draku28 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get, what the deal of gender bender, and the deal with first Archie was about two girls after one guy (ever guy fantasy), to now two guys after one girl, I so blame Twilight and Vampire Dairy, now every girl, pardon my french want to experimental a DP.

#37 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper: I have a few issues read and reviewed here on CV.  
#38 Posted by sora_thekey (8178 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read an Archie comic but I am very interested in how this turns out!

#39 Posted by pikahyper (12396 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: good to know but I'm primarily interested in offline readers :P

#40 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio
@pikahyper: I can shut the computer off while reading it if you like ;)
#41 Posted by pikahyper (12396 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: lol, I'd be more interested in you saying you read them if we actually meet :P

#42 Posted by CrackedVersion00 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait WHAT ABOUT JUGHEAD?! (Does that mean he's gonna be a Tomboy-ish type of girl?)

#43 Posted by jloneblackheart (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrackedVersion00 said:

Wait WHAT ABOUT JUGHEAD?! (Does that mean he's gonna be a Tomboy-ish type of girl?)

It will just be Big Ethel with a crown.

After seeing this, I was actually surprised they have never done this before.

#44 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue 636.....rule 36.....I see what you did there.

#45 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goku13K said:

@Joygirl: Holy shit, that totally is Gisele's signature. I had no idea she was doing Archie, maybe that's why she had to stop doing the art for Magik Chicks. Crazy.

No cursing, please.

#46 Posted by nahadef (33 posts) - - Show Bio

It's strangely arousing. I kind of like redheads.

#47 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

nope

#48 Posted by etamogrey77 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

some of the things said up here made my day