inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

If you haven't noticed, Valiant Entertainment is back and revamping all the classics for a new generation of readers. One of the things these books are doing well is keeping old readers interested while keeping it new reader friendly.

The newest Valiant revamp hits your LCS this Wednesday: ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG. This new series is written by Fred Van Lente (INCREDIBLE HERCULES, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN), penciled by Clayton Henry (ALPHA FLIGHT, EXILES), and color by Matt Milla (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, X-FACTOR).

The new ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG is about Obadiah Archer, a young man on a mission to kill the Great Satan of his parent's religious sect. It seems that drunken immortal, Armstrong, is Archer's target.

First thing I really enjoyed about this book was that although I've never reader Archer & Armstrong before, I thought this was incredibly new reader friendly. It seems to be a reboot to the series, and we get a nice back story to Obadiah Archer. That's what this book does best. It sets up the overall story and main character well enough in the opening pages, but keeps it brief enough to get right into the story. It's fantastic set-up and gets the reader ready for the rest of the series.

Watching Archer step into the real world, since the religious compound he came from is well, not the real world, was a pretty cool moment, especially to see him navigate the mean streets of New York City and Times Square. Archer doesn't understand how people talk to each other and "playing around" which leads to a great fight scene with Archer, some bar patrons, and the first meeting with Armstrong.

I enjoyed these fight scenes quite a bit. It's established early-on he knows what he's doing and he's extremely good at it. During this scene, we get our first look at Armstrong. I like this dynamic. Archer is small, skillful, and seems like he's from a different world. Archer is large, informal, and hulking. It's the age old idea of "opposites attract," but hey, it works and it's incredibly interesting here.

Variant Cover
Variant Cover

The art in this first issue is wonderful. Aside from downright looking great, the panel layouts are fresh every page and this doesn't fall victim to "middle shot syndrome." One thing that impressed me the most was the character design for these guards of the One Percent. Although we only see these guys in a few panels, I found myself enamored with how awesome they looked. It was a fantastic design.

Sadly, as great as the art is on the book, I did have a problem with some disappearing backgrounds. While I understand that in some panels, the artist really wants focus on a certain action, but it really takes me out of the book when the background is just a flat color and there is no detail. This only becomes distracting to me a couple times in the issue because rest of the issue's art is incredibly solid and pretty to look at.

Overall, I was extremely happy with how this issue turned out and felt extremely welcomed as a new reader. This book features fantastic characters and a kick off to a great story. The art is top notch from start to finish, except for the few problems I had with disappearing backgrounds. I highly recommend this book.

4 out of 5!
4 out of 5!

Here's a look at the start of the new series, which hits your local comic book store on Wednesday, August 8th.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

...Well alright then.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Overall, I was extremely happy with how this issue turned out and felt extremely welcomed as a new reader.

I think that's key here. Before their relaunch I never read or even held a Valiant comic. I think my only experience was that Iron Man & X-O Manowar game for the Sega Genesis, but so far every series makes you feel informed and does so without dragging the plot out.

Solid review, Mat, and I'm absolutely picking this up Wednesday. Are you also reading X-O, Bloodshot or Harbinger?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@k4tzm4n said:

Overall, I was extremely happy with how this issue turned out and felt extremely welcomed as a new reader.

I think that's key here. Before their relaunch I never read or even held a Valiant comic. I think my only experience was that Iron Man & X-O Manowar game for the Sega Genesis, but so far every series makes you feel informed and does so without dragging the plot out.

Solid review, Mat, and I'm absolutely picking this up Wednesday. Are you also reading X-O, Bloodshot or Harbinger?

I haven't been able to get the early issues, but I'll probably pick a few up con comixology tomorrow.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Decept-O

Sounds great!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@k4tzm4n said:

@inferiorego

I'v been getting X-O and Bloodshot and I have really enjoyed them 
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

Out of all the Valiant books this is the one that has me the most curious. Never read any title from this universe. Wish all the comics weren't $3.99. That price point is really keeping me from taking a chance on these.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@longbowhunter said:

Out of all the Valiant books this is the one that has me the most curious. Never read any title from this universe. Wish all the comics weren't $3.99. That price point is really keeping me from taking a chance on these.

In my opinion they're worth the extra dollar.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Its awesome you really got into this issue! I was a big Archer & Armstrong fan back in the old days of Valiant in the 1990s, and by what I've seen here, I know I will enjoy reading it again!

schmittdavidr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By schmittdavidr

I'm filtering out many Marvel books so I can prepare for these Valiants when they are released in trade format. I'm really looking forward to jumping into a fresh universe with no expectations. A&A is at the top of my list as Fred's Hercules run was one of my fave hero comics to come out from Marvel for a long time along with Agents of Atlas. I'd love to see Jeff Parker on a Valiant title.