• 99 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

ANT-MAN #1 by Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosana came out this week. If you read our review, you know we loved it.

In case you're not sure if it's for you, based off one review, Marvel has released some praise from other outlets:

No Caption Provided

Did you get all that? You could try getting out your magnifying glass. I'm not sure if trying to enlarge the image will work.

Okay, if you still need more concrete proof people are enjoying the book, here's what's been said:

10/10 – Newsarama

“With a blockbuster movie on the way, Ant-Man #1 is the perfect jumping on point for readers looking to get to know the character.” – The Washington Post

“Get ready to be able to say you are now an Ant-Man fan.” – Comic Vine

“…with this top-notch team on board, you need to score yourself a front-row seat.” – Newsarama

“Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas set the bar for new Marvel books in 2015.” – Comic Book Therapy

“I would recommend this book to everyone.” – Comix I Read

“Ant-Man #1 is that perfect debut that manages to both introduce the character to unfamiliar readers and tell a compelling story in the course of a single issue.” – ComicBook.com

“Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas have a hit on their hands with this one…” – Coming Up Comics

“…the perfect introduction for anyone unfamiliar with the character…” – Infinite Comix

“It's funny, emotionally engaging, and easily accessible regardless of your familiarity with the character.”– IGN

“Definitely worth picking up!” – Comics Beat

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

HA HA. This will never get old. Ever. I love it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Poor Hank Pym.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I actually had a lot of problems with the issue, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it.

The issue had some ups and downs, I'm defiantly curios and will keep reading. I hope this book will really have a soul and a voice, unlike another movie tie in series, but that's where some of the problems were, not to mention a lot of forced comedy that didn't feel like it worked. Still like I said it had a lot of what I like, I just wish Scott was more of a Myrmecology expert and more of an orthodox hero unlike the other Ant-Men.

Really the biggest problem is that it feels really really cliche and dumbed down, which takes away a lot from it.

I'll probably write up a review later on. Like I said, I'm going to keep reading, but I'm really worried this is a book aimed at the lowest common denominator for the sake of the movies. Hopefully this is all in my head and later issues will rid me of my concerns, because this is a book I really want to like (I f*cking love ants).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never been that interested in Ant-Man before, but I'm kind of curious about this series.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this book, which is surprising.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ok, ok. We get it, Marvel. Ant-Man....Very small !!!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Love this issue, Scott is such a loveable character and seeing him give up his dream of living the big life simply so he can be in his daughter's life is so touching and really shows you that despite being the world's smallest hero, he's got one of world's biggest hearts.

I've always had an odd fondness of Ant-Man, simply because he is such a silly character at first glance, but when you actually look and explore who Ant-Man is, you find a character you can root for and one that you enjoy seeing succeed despite the whole world betting against him.

My hope is that this series will be around for a good long while.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By MatthewParker
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

The first issue was pretty amazing.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: I actually didn't like that, it seemed too obvious to be a twist. Of course he'd trade in the luxury of a good life for his daughter. Still nice though.

I also hope this series will stick around.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really had a blast reading his issue. Surpassed all my expectations.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ant-Man #1 was f***ing amazing. Really cleverly written. Definitely joins that niche group of critically acclaimed darlings like Hawkeye, Daredevil, and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Also, I wasn't sure whether this would be Hank Pym Ant-Man or Scott Lang Ant-Man, and that's ironically brought up in the issue. Really self-aware stuff, especially considering the movie that's right around the corner. I'm loving Scott's new design, and the way his powers are depicted is pretty dynamic. The extra page count really helped get this series off on the right foot, and I was left completely satisfied even though I was initially having buyer's remorse about spending $5 on a comic on a complete whim.

I will say, however, that it would be nice if sometime in the near-future Scott gets an actual break. Like, I like the tone of the book, but it was really beating down hard on Scott. Even more so than Hawkeye did to Clint. The whole time Scott just kind of came off as a loser and a pushover. And boy was Tony annoying here. I guess it's just because it's my first time being exposed to "Superior" Iron-Man, but f***. What a douchenozzle.

Overall though, my hype for this series just went from barely knowing of its existence, to highly anticipating the next issue. Speaking of which, if the next issue keeps up with what this oversized debut established, Ant-Man will have definitely earned a warm spot on my pull list.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Dude. "Aimed at the lowest common denominator? " Excuse us for not being ant-nerds, bro.

But c'mon. We're reading a comic book, not watching a scientifically accurate version of Bug's Life here.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: That's not what I'm talking about, the angle where Scott's a washed up guy trying to get a job, he loves his daughter but his wife has full custody, that's just so cookie cutter.

I'm not saying it has to be scientific (although a little bit of that helps) I'm saying there is a lot you can do with ants and insects in a story, both as something cool, and as something to reflect on in relation to human nature and society as a whole.

Oh and I really appreciate the rude comment too, thanks.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I'm now an Ant-Man fan. I loved it.

<SWAG>

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Good for Ant-Man

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Cookie cutter? That's LIFE. Not everyone can be a mystical goddess formed by clay and sent to the land of men, or the last son of a dying race on a mission to defend mankind and uphold justice. Some people just got to be kinda dumpy single dads doing the best with what they've got. It's relatable.

It's an incredibly specific complaint, and honestly, ants doing a bunch of really specific ant stuff (complete with scientist mumbo jumbo) would bore me to tears.

You're welcome, ant-nerd. ^-^

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: It sounds like the but of a joke when someone is talking about generic movies. Heck I told my mom, someone who knows nothing about comics, about the premise and she groaned saying that sounded generic. I also think your misinterpreting what I'm trying to say, I'm fine with Scott being a guy who has it rough and has something to prove, but this just feels so by the book, and kinda uninspired. I feel like with this set up there is so much more that could be done. Like I said I could be worried over nothing, and I hope I am.

That's not how it is in books like Aquaman or the Flash, books that take scientific concepts and make them cool.

I don't know why your showing such hostility, I don't feel any ill will towards you. Also I like all insects, not just ants (they are pretty cool though, and I could watch them for hours).

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jackcryan

It was a great book and a lot of fun.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Of course it is.
Spencer.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I am really happy to hear this is good! I have been trying to set money aside for this book since I heard about it!

selfproclaimed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this was surprisingly good and i enjoyed reading it, but still i really wanted hank pym

Avatar image for antihero_jaymok
Antihero_Jaymok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darn it! I missed it! Now I feel left out for not having read it. Almost EVERYONE is saying it's a good read.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First issue was awesome. Nick Spencer is the man right now.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing this as a must read at this point.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Darling_Luna
@jaken7 said:

Ant-Man #1 was f***ing amazing. Really cleverly written. Definitely joins that niche group of critically acclaimed darlings like Hawkeye, Daredevil, and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Also, I wasn't sure whether this would be Hank Pym Ant-Man or Scott Lang Ant-Man, and that's ironically brought up in the issue. Really self-aware stuff, especially considering the movie that's right around the corner. I'm loving Scott's new design, and the way his powers are depicted is pretty dynamic. The extra page count really helped get this series off on the right foot, and I was left completely satisfied even though I was initially having buyer's remorse about spending $5 on a comic on a complete whim.

I will say, however, that it would be nice if sometime in the near-future Scott gets an actual break. Like, I like the tone of the book, but it was really beating down hard on Scott. Even more so than Hawkeye did to Clint. The whole time Scott just kind of came off as a loser and a pushover. And boy was Tony annoying here. I guess it's just because it's my first time being exposed to "Superior" Iron-Man, but f***. What a douchenozzle.

Overall though, my hype for this series just went from barely knowing of its existence, to highly anticipating the next issue. Speaking of which, if the next issue keeps up with what this oversized debut established, Ant-Man will have definitely earned a warm spot on my pull list.

No Caption Provided

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And a very well deserved hit. I thought this first issue was pretty much perfect. Between this and Superior Foes, Spencer has found an excellent writing style for these books. I hope to be reading this series for a good long while.

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this comic. Might read Superior Foes of Spiderman cause that was supposed to be really good

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first issue way more than that squirrel girl #1(shudder) but the possiblw status quo of antman being iron man had too much potential to be discarded like that:(

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Still.... Pass >.>

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnapocalypse: Superior Foes was excellent. It will make you laugh nearly every page, let alone issue.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By Teerack
@beholdthevison said:

@dernman said:

Poor Hank Pym.

:( ikr

Hey you know there was another Ant-Man besides Lang and Pym, right you guys? Some even say he was the funniest and best Ant-Man of all...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i enjoyed i a lot! but from what i read in FF series, he seemed a like a different person.

Avatar image for unpopularkarama
unpopularkarama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue, and I maybe the only one, but I would really love some Darla Deering in this book in Miami.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@war_killer: I actually didn't like that, it seemed too obvious to be a twist. Of course he'd trade in the luxury of a good life for his daughter. Still nice though.

I also hope this series will stick around.

See, it wasn't an obvious twist for me. Personally up until the end I was wondering where the book would be going as it literally focused on Scott trying to land the job at Stark Industries. So when he decided not to take the job, I actually didn't see it coming and personally felt bad for Scott because he could have had everything he's always wanted, yet gave it up because his daughter means more to him than anything else, even fame and success. That ending really hit me and makes you realize just what kind of guy Scott is, not to mention that it leaves the door open for Scott to really do anything now, which has me excited to see where he goes from here now that he's in Miami.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: As soon as his wife said they were (super conveniently) leaving, all I was thinking is "Oh god, please tell me this doesn't play out like a cheesy 80's movie" and it did. Again, it was nice and it shows Scott really is a good guy, but I really wanted something more thought out then that.

Like I said though, I still liked the issue, and I've been wanting Scott to get a series, so I'll be sure to stick with it.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was cute and funny at first... But I am seriously getting irritated...

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Winter_Kills

Love this issue, Scott is such a loveable character and seeing him give up his dream of living the big life simply so he can be in his daughter's life is so touching and really shows you that despite being the world's smallest hero, he's got one of world's biggest hearts.

I've always had an odd fondness of Ant-Man, simply because he is such a silly character at first glance, but when you actually look and explore who Ant-Man is, you find a character you can root for and one that you enjoy seeing succeed despite the whole world betting against him.

My hope is that this series will be around for a good long while.

This, 100%!!

No Caption Provided

Hurray for the underdogs!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'd have preferred a Hank Pym series but of course Marvel has to make their comics exactly like the cinematic universe now. How long till Hank gets aged into a senior citizen?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huge hits for Ant-man, well not surprise because Nick Spencer is amazing writer

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Giving in to peer pressure. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@ostyo: Who said anything about that? That was 100 percent my decision.

Also, it looks like I won't be following The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, so I'll need something to fill that spot.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@ostyo: Who said anything about that? That was 100 percent my decision.

Also, it looks like I won't be following The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, so I'll need something to fill that spot.

Read Ant-Man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Read Ant-Man.

I'll pick up this first issue at least. Although I haven't read anything by Spencer since Iron Man 2.0 (which I didn't really like).