gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

For months we've wondered who Catwoman was in the New 52. When last I read, there was some question over her true identity and background. The series had gone in a few different directions and I wasn't really sure what to expect anymore. With things developing in BATMAN ETERNAL and the change for Selina we first saw in the slight future story in BATMAN #28, it was a matter of time until those events caught up with Catwoman's main series.

Walking into this issue, you don't necessarily have to know what happened before in the series. I actually went back to check out issue #34 (and I did read the FUTURES END issue). This is more of a slight continuation from last week's BATMAN ETERNAL. Selina is embracing her true heritage as the "Daughter of the Lion," Rex Calabrese. Gotham City is a mess and she wants to use her true family name and contacts to establish a new position for herself. That's what we're seeing in this issue. Seeing this evolution of Catwoman is surprising (even though we knew it was coming) and it definitely grabs your attention. There are moments you might say, "What the heck is going on?" but it's a nice shift in the series. I'm deeply interested to see what Genevieve Valentine has planned for Selina.

Garry Brown's art fits the new tone perfectly. There's a great balance between the grittiness and beauty of the story being told. Catwoman is often drawn in a sensual way but that's clearly not needed here. She still exudes the confidence we would expect and you can tell she is determined to get the job done.

The Bad

I mentioned the moments of slight confusion. We immediately see Selina with a new supporting cast. I wasn't sure exactly who they were or where they came from. Hence, the reason I looked back at the previous issue). Who they are is explained. Perhaps we'll see more of them in the coming issues to fully find out who they are, assuming we haven't seen them already (I've missed some issues of BATMAN ETERNAL due to the weekly schedule).

The Verdict

It's time to check out CATWOMAN once again. There's a new creative team and a whole new direction for Selina Kyle. As we see her make her move to try to fix certain things in Gotham City, there's also an element of mystery going on. The new level of complexity being added to her character is something we will relish. Garry Brown's art fits the tone of the story nicely. If you've been wondering what Catwoman has been up to lately, this is a great place to jump in. There may be some tiny moments of confusion but you'll want to stick around to find out more.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I really want to get this, but I don't think I'm going to have the cash this week.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Loved this issue and pumped about the new direction but did feel like I was playing catch up the whole time when reading.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Once again a simple writers change turns a horrible book into a good one. This just proves that there are no bad characters, only bad writers.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again a simple writers change turns a horrible book into a good one. This just proves that there are no bad characters, only bad writers.

This this series similar to what Dan Slott's doing to Felicia Hardy(The Black Cat)?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shes still a terrible character. She has no place in this universe anymore without becoming something else and the new writers have done that.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

New writer and the series gets better. wow shocking!!!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@darthfury78: I would say it's absolutely not like what Black Cat is doing. Totally different motives and directions. Different backgrounds.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By BigL

I picked this up mainly for the cool monster variant but I might as well check it out. Haven't read a single issue of Catwoman's series in the new 52 so it works out that this is a jumping on point

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the whole ''Mafia boss'' angle since almost all of Batman-related characters are now somehow bound to gangs. I mean she was a fine individual with her own thing going. Sure it was badly portrayed but turning her into something different is kinda sad for me.

Also it is curious how both Selina AND Felicia ( Black Cat ) Suddenly become Crimebosses that are now hating their hero-lovers. Strange coincidence that is.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@wowlock: Down with character development!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By entropy_aegis

@redwingx said:

@the_stegman said:

Shes still a terrible character. She has no place in this universe anymore without becoming something else and the new writers have done that.

Then why are you commenting here? and does genuine change + growth make you irrelevant? especially when you're dealing with a character who has been prone to major overhauls after every generation or so.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catwoman being a mob boss is far more believable than black cat suddenly becoming a villain n trying to kill people. The only think black cat is missing is an evil mustache

CatBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There is a God.

Catwoman can finally be amazing again, this is what should have been in the works since the New 52 started - but it's taken 3 years. This is definitely a Selina I can stand behind, a Selina I care about. It has been a pretty tumultuous time for Selina in the New 52, and most of it having to do with who the hell she is - we kept getting hints, twists, and diversions... do we still know what the hell Steve Trevor was talking about another "Selina Kyle" in Justice League of America? And are we just ignoring that god awful zero issue with the Russian circus and that awful tarp costume origin? I'm just happy we finally have somewhat of a concrete origin, even if it doesn't involve her being the daughter of Carmine Falcone.

Sorry, I digress. This issue read beautifully, albeit heavy-handed at times - but g*ddamn - it wasn't the wacky dialogue we were getting from Miss Nocenti (by the way, Klarion is the perfect fit for her - stay over there). The tone was cohesive and this Selina is smart, chic, and reminiscent of a Selina I remember when Brubaker took the helm back in the early 2000s. I do love that Black Mask, the Falcones, and of course Batman are still in Selina's story post-Flashpoint.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By redwingx

@entropy_aegis said:

@redwingx said:

@the_stegman said:

Then why are you commenting here? and does genuine change + growth make you irrelevant? especially when you're dealing with a character who has been prone to major overhauls after every generation or so.

This is a place for discussion. If you don't like it then get out.

Even hardcore Catwoman fans will agree that she needed a major overhaul to be relevant again. This new direction might be cliche but It's still good and has the potential to make her into something great.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wooohhooo!! Catwoman is finally readable again! I really loved this issue. by far the best issue in the entire new 52 but that's not saying much I guess. it's not really catwoman anymore... but still looks like it's gonna be a great story. The art is really appropriate for a catwoman book. I always thought indie style art suited catwoman more rather than the streamlined, flashy look seen in the majority of books seen in the superhero genre.

@redwingx said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@redwingx said:

@the_stegman said:

This is a place for discussion. If you don't like it then get out.

Even hardcore Catwoman fans will agree that she needed a major overhaul to be relevant again. This new direction might be cliche but It's still good and has the potential to make her into something great.

I'm a hardcore catwoman fan and I strongly disagree. It was the major overhaul and changes in continuity that made Catwoman irrelevant, not to mention she was terribly written and really ooc. Even Winnick, a competent writer, had written a brief run that was slightly above average. She was completely fine before the new 52. She might have a completely different role now, but if you read the issue you'd notice that her character and personality is going back to her roots as a emotionally intelligent and mature woman much like the older continuity.

If you think she's terrible you're obviously not that familiar with the character or read any of her books. If you've read only her new 52 series, then yeah she was terribly written, but she's not a bad character.. you can blame the writers for that. Selina has had a number of great stories show she's an engaging character with a lot of depth. Read When in Rome, or Brubaker's entire run on Catwoman, it's one of the best comics I've ever read. If you don't even like that then I can't help you, it could just be you're not a fan of the character that's all.

You state your opinion as if it's a fact, and it's not. Also there's no room for discussion when it's clear you don't know the character. Have at least a little broader understanding and idea of the character before you start making assumptions that's all

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catboy said:

There is a God.

Catwoman can finally be amazing again, this is what should have been in the works since the New 52 started - but it's taken 3 years. This is definitely a Selina I can stand behind, a Selina I care about. It has been a pretty tumultuous time for Selina in the New 52, and most of it having to do with who the hell she is - we kept getting hints, twists, and diversions... do we still know what the hell Steve Trevor was talking about another "Selina Kyle" in Justice League of America? And are we just ignoring that god awful zero issue with the Russian circus and that awful tarp costume origin? I'm just happy we finally have somewhat of a concrete origin, even if it doesn't involve her being the daughter of Carmine Falcone.

Sorry, I digress. This issue read beautifully, albeit heavy-handed at times - but g*ddamn - it wasn't the wacky dialogue we were getting from Miss Nocenti (by the way, Klarion is the perfect fit for her - stay over there). The tone was cohesive and this Selina is smart, chic, and reminiscent of a Selina I remember when Brubaker took the helm back in the early 2000s. I do love that Black Mask, the Falcones, and of course Batman are still in Selina's story post-Flashpoint.

You took the words right out of my mouth friend! :D

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is indeed a blessing from God! Finally Nocenti is gone from Catwoman. I agree that Klarion is her cup of tea and suits her writing style. However, I still liked Winick's take on Catwoman better. Just my opinion. I do think the vast majority of us can all agree that this is a major improvement over Nocenti's Catwoman though. Looking forward to seeing if this will get even better. Hope so! By the way, there are MANY great DC titles out right now in the new 52. Not sure why some people keep insinuating or stating the opposite.