undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

This book absolutely exudes fun and a sense of whimsy and delight. This doesn’t mean it has no drama or shouldn’t be taken seriously, but there’s a spirit of playfulness under most of the issue, which actually makes the few parts that aren’t wondrous play all the more serious. Kelly Sue DeConnick has a real knack for merging action with drama and levity. The book opens with some absolutely amazing scenes of Captain Marvel making this personal as she fights to defend her ship in the vacuum of space, but we also have some incredible comedic moments when the Guardians of the Galaxy arrive on the scene. To say that Rocket doesn’t get along with all the denizens of the ship would be an understatement, and the book becomes an amazing space-sitcom when the Guardians come aboard, and I mean that in the best way possible. This is most definitely Spaced or Community-style sitcoms: driven by great character moments and dialog rather than the actual situation, and that is most certainly what we get. The issue may be light on plot, but it moves forward just enough to keep things intriguing and the cast is an absolute delight.

We also get incredible linework from David Lopez, giving us a great view of the vastness of space as well as the incredible power that Carol wields. We also get some amazingly intense, animated scenes revolving around a cat in danger, which, if you’re a fan of previous Captain Marvel stories, are actually pretty intense and high-stakes. But we also get some oddly appropriate and realistic imagery of Rocket and Chewie that involves some absolutely incredible comedic moments. Rocket’s been played for some pretty great laughs since his reintroduction, but this book does it better than most. Lee Loughridge’s colors are stunning and gorgeous from cover-to-cover. This issue looks incredible and so incredibly detailed, right down to Rocket and Chewie’s fur.

The Bad

This has a very unsettling cover. It’s by interior artist David Lopez, and I adore both the interiors and the previous cover but this one weirds me out whenever I see it and I can’t place exactly why. The appearance of the Guardians is a LITTLE convenient and contrived, and while the entire plot doesn’t hinge on it, it is definitely driven forward BY it.

The Verdict

This is a pure fun book through-and-through, and after what the Guardians just went through, they can use one of those. Let’s not forget that, for all the high, sci-fi drama, this is the team that involves an extradimensional angel, a space-ent and a sentient, genetically engineered raccoon. There’s a fundamental absurdity to a lot of these characters that this book isn’t afraid to lean into and the results are some absolutely incredible comedy. But even amidst all that, there’s enough drama to keep the pages turning and the plot moving.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

This book is great. Seriously.

But why do people keep making Drax speak like the Hulk?!

@undeadpool I don't think the Guardians turning up is that contrived really, because they do monitor every thing that enters in or out of earth's atmosphere and Tony Stark did inform them that Captain Marvel would be joining them.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

A completely horrendous looking cover. But luckily, I don't judge the book by it, for the series itself is outta this world.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@the_stegman: Haha that's what I thought, I don't know why but I feel like Carol's going to jump out of that cover and rape me or something lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a big fan of it. Carol as Captain Marvel didn't work well the firs time, I don't know why they would keep trying to push her.

That doesn't even make sense

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@jonny_anonymous: I worded it awkwardly, sorry. I'm just wondering why they would reboot her series so quickly when it didn't do very well the first time around. I overall just find her uninteresting. I'm just not a fan of Carol as Captain Marvel.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@jonny_anonymous: I worded it awkwardly, sorry. I'm just wondering why they would reboot her series so quickly when it didn't do very well the first time around. I overall just find her uninteresting. I'm just not a fan of Carol as Captain Marvel.

I prefer her to be Ms Marvel too but is there really a difference in her personality as Captain Marvel compared to Ms Marvel

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@daredevil21134: Oh I know, I'm just not a big fan of her latest few runs. It seems like Marvel really, really wants her to be a big character by pushing her as much as they can.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength said:

I prefer her to be Ms Marvel too but is there really a difference in her personality as Captain Marvel compared to Ms Marvel

There is zero difference between this book and had it been called Ms Marvel

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134: Oh I know, I'm just not a big fan of her latest few runs. It seems like Marvel really, really wants her to be a big character by pushing her as much as they can.Do you think they should focus on someone else because I think Marvel needs a strong female that can hang with the big boys

@daredevil21134 said:

@beaconofstrength said:

That's what I thought.Was Rhodey in this one?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength said:

@daredevil21134: Oh I know, I'm just not a big fan of her latest few runs. It seems like Marvel really, really wants her to be a big character by pushing her as much as they can.Do you think they should focus on someone else because I think Marvel needs a strong female that can hang with the big boys

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@beaconofstrength said:

That's what I thought.Was Rhodey in this one?

Nope just Cap and the Guardians

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InkInk

Good book so far I thought I was not going to like her being away from the people that ground her but so far it has been a good little book.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I believe she is joining the GOTG at least temporarily, so that's probably the case for the tie in. And I agree with this review even down to the cover. It's almost like her eyes are too small and set too far apart making her forehead huge, I don't know.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

I really enjoy Kelly Sues writing of carol and I love that shes out in space, I hope carol hangs with the guardians alittle, and would love to see Kelly Sue write that team.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I agree with others thinking the cover is weird. Other than that, this issue was great. I'm loving this run so far and looking forward to more.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Even though the main reason I say Carol should go back to being Ms. Marvel is because I think that should be Billy's title, I do think it's better for her character as well. Part of the fun in comics is knowing you have the same characters from decades ago in modern times, and both losing their old names... well it sucks. Plus it seems insulting to Carol, not only did she have a fun and cool name before, but this new name makes her seem like she has always been less important.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#19  Edited By iceslick

@undeadpool: I decided to create a meme just for this book! Best argument ever! Lol

No Caption Provided

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I thought this issue was decidedly meh.

Also, they're pushing her because she is Marvel's foremost female hero right now. Written by a woman. It's a good thing. It helps that it's good.

wumpnutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wumpnutt

This issue was great. I don't mind an issue with lack of plot if the issue has action and humor such as this one did. I love the GOTG showing up and didn't think it was contrived at all. Cover art was a little weird. For me it was how it was drawn but this issue is well written and extremely fun to read. Makes me excited for the next issue. This run has started well in my opinion. I'm really excited for where it goes w/ carol in space.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was great just like the first issue. Captain Marvel is the best female superhero IMO. She is just such an awesome intresting character and combine it with my favorite superhero team the GOTG then you just made one amazing issue right there if the writing is good which is phenomonal. My problem with the series relies more on the first issue and it's the Star Wars stuff. It's cool having a superhero have be passionate about something like us comic fans we know what it's like to love a property but i feel like they are laying it on heavy as of lately since Disney bought Star Wars and a new movie is only a year and assumbly some months away.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Dude stop seriously stop. We get it you are majorly pissed off over a stupid reason just because of the name. But to say Ms.Marvel is better for her character is bull. I prefer the name Ms.Marvel but Captain is better for the character because she IS a Captain and deserves to be treated as such. She would only get called Ms. while being a Captain because she is a woman. They would not call a male Captain Marvel Mr.Marvel if he was a captain they should treat women with the same respect.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Even though the main reason I say Carol should go back to being Ms. Marvel is because I think that should be Billy's title, I do think it's better for her character as well. Part of the fun in comics is knowing you have the same characters from decades ago in modern times, and both losing their old names... well it sucks. Plus it seems insulting to Carol, not only did she have a fun and cool name before, but this new name makes her seem like she has always been less important. It's not like she had a demining title, her name was cool and independent, It was feminist and feminine. Also I am not angry, but sad to be honest.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

That's like the exact opposite.....Being called CAPTAIN makes her a thousand times more important do you know what Captain means? Not trying to be mean but you literally just said it made her less important when the Captain is the most important part of any crew. Also her name was not feminist i told you why it's not. She is a Captain she deserves the respect to be called one. You would not call a male Captain mr. you should not call a female Captain Ms. that's sexsist. It showed no respect. You are really reaching for a response dude.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@thewalkingdeadpool18: No, what I said is that it is implied that she is that her having that title gives no greater importance, but the belief it does only makes her past character seem less important by not having that title. Also, many charcters have names based on gender, like Superman and Wonder Woman. It's feminist because Ms. is a feminist term used to describe an independent woman. If she was Mrs. Marvel, then that would be a different story. If Marvel want's her identity to be their main female hero, like Wonder Woman, then I think they would do good to give her a name that represents her identity as a strong female lead. If she wants to keep the new look, then I'm fine with that (although some fans prefer some of her other designs) but as far as the name goes, I think Ms Marvel suits her better. It's who she is, who she should be.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Well i take someone who doesn't read Marvels opinion on Marvel characters with a grain of salt but those characters are not captains. You refer to Captains as Captains it's sexist to do other wise with Carol. You would not calle a male captain mr. you should not call a female captain ms. you should call them Captain. This doesn't downgrade anything. This shows how far woman has come this has upgraded to show a woman can be a Captain. If Wonder Woman was a Captain I would want them to come up with a Captain name. Captain Wonder isn't exactly a great name so maybe Captain Diana or whatever. Again your responses are reachs that you are really only doing because of the Captain Marvel situation. Why do you care so much about this character?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Again, although the main reason is because of Billy, I also think the name Ms. Marvel is better. Like I said, it's who Carol is, it's also a superhero name, so common name principles don't apply. If they did, her name would be Captain Danvers Also you didn't specify which character you asked I care about, do you mean Billy or Carol?

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

I know you don't like Marvel so obviously your love for Billy. Also a Captain is a Captain Marvel as a name is part of her history even with no longer having a secret identity, captain should logically be in her name and you know it. I think Ms.Marvel is a better name but Captain Marvel is the name she deserves.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: Well then fella, I guess we're gonna have to disagree on this one. Also, I don't dislike Marvel, I think they are great, I'm just having trouble getting into them, and I'm not a guy with a lot of cash.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

But you don't read their comics or even watch their live action movies. I would buy you that huge Marvel encyclopedia if i knew you in real life just so you stop having an excuse.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: I would like that, because this site is nice, but I always feel like it's hard to get a good feel for the character when you need to read a mountain of words. Honestly, just when I think I have a character figured out, a curve ball is thrown right at me. Still though, I'm sure eventually I'll get a good footing, and even if I don't, I'm fine with sticking to the (good or decent) cartoons and animated movies.

thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewalkingdeadpool18: I will, when I get some time. I really really want to see the Winter Soldier in theaters, but I have other movies to watch. But that's probably not going to happen because it's the end of my semester and I have a lot of work to do. So I will probably have to wait. Still, my goal is to see the Winter Soldier before it leaves the big screen.

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

@the_mast said:

I thought this issue was decidedly meh.

Also, they're pushing her because she is Marvel's foremost female hero right now. Written by a woman. It's a good thing. It helps that it's good.

I agree - I was surprised how 'meh' it was. But I think the series is in good hands on plot and art, so hopefully this was just a blip.