Why is Captain America disrespected by non-comic readers?

• 88 results
Captain_Murica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Captain_Murica

It seems like that Cap is often called boring or lame, but 99% of the time by non-comic readers, while comic readers have the utmost respect for him. Why is this?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#1 JediXMan  Moderator

Because he comes from a very campy era, and his entire character revolves around the 1940s, which a lot of people think is boring.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can't be worse than Aquaman

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 oceanmaster21  Online

people are crazy cap is ausome and aquaman.is ausome to

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jedixman said:

Because he comes from a very campy era, and his entire character revolves around the 1940s, which a lot of people think is boring.

this

people are crazy cap is ausome and aquaman.is ausome to

and this

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_murica: Because they dont read comics, and therefor dont understand its nature. Only in comics can a guy dressed s the flag with nothing than a shield work. weirdly enough, they accept a dude scaring people in a bat-suit, but he has a couple of movies to build a reputation outside the world in comics. And Cap got more respect after the Avengers movie.

Captain_Murica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Captain_Murica

@waezi2 :

I agree but some claim he was a gymnast in the movie despite him having a few solo fight scenes, i think once the Winter Soldier comes out there will be more respect for him

And if Cap's outfit is deemed lame but non-comic readers, why isn't Superman's considered lame?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eternal19

because his character symbolizes America and a lot of people don't like America. His character and costume also come of as really corny to a lot of people. Why would a soldier in the modern era use a shield as a weapon instead of a gun and go around dressed up in red, white, and blue tights? He just doesn't seem as relevant as he did in the 40's.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because haters are going to hate.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dondave

@jedixman said:

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 :

I agree but some claim he was a gymnast in the movie despite him having a few solo fight scenes, i think once the Winter Soldier comes out there will be more respect for him

And if Cap's outfit is deemed lame but non-comic readers, why isn't Superman's considered lame?

because superman's outfit makes sense. The people on the planet he was from dressed the same way and so out of respect for krypton he wears their style of dress.

the problem with caps outfit is that American soldiers don't dress as the flag which makes caps outfit seem more out of place and odd.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No Caption Provided

Because they don't know a damn thing about Cap and are missing things like this.

Captain_Murica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket:

This is absolutely my favorite Cap quote ever!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read comics, and have for a long time, and I still find the character to be pretty lame

DeathGorath444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeathGorath444

Why is it that ever important quote Cap says brings a tear to my eye lol.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because everyone hates America.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many of my friends don't like his first movie calling it a filler and boring. I kind of understand where they're coming from but I love it. Cap's character is his leadership and his moral compass. I loved it. The Winter Soldier looks awesome too. Cap debating if what S.H.I.E.L.D is doing is right? Is it freedom? What a hero!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because his character symbolizes America and a lot of people don't like America. His character and costume also come of as really corny to a lot of people. Why would a soldier in the modern era use a shield as a weapon instead of a gun and go around dressed up in red, white, and blue tights? He just doesn't seem as relevant as he did in the 40's.

Avatar image for terrybogard2014
TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TerryBogard2014

Becuase if your not cynical,brooding or dark,your considered uninteresting by todays standards apparently

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap dosent need their praise. And he is awesome because of it.

To answer the Op. Because they don't know Dick.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve: Maybe you are not reading the right comics?

Eh, whatever. I just don't care for a character built on patriotism and propaganda, regardless of how edgy and gritty they try to make him.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By dernman

Because haters are going to hate.

It really is a simple as this.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RisingBean

@emequious_swerve: I almost feel bad. You missing out on the Superman's and Cap's and all.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@humanrocket:

God, I love that quote. Convinced me that Cap is the f[%^ing man.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a comic reader who doesn't care about CA either way or have any respect at all for CA so I see no reason why non comic book readers should give any fu*k about him.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becuase if your not cynical,brooding or dark,your considered uninteresting by todays standards apparently

Not really, if that was the case Spider-Man and Iron Man wouldn't be popular. I don't know anyone irl who disrespects Cap but I assume people who do think the character is dated.

Captain_Murica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal777 said:

I'm a comic reader who doesn't care about CA either way or have any respect at all for CA so I see no reason why non comic book readers should give any fu*k about him.

You should probably read some more about Cap, he can be very awe inspiring and as shown from the scan above

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal777 said:

You should probably read some more about Cap, he can be very awe inspiring and as shown from the scan above

There isn't a reason to read more of Cap when I don't really care about him that would be a waste of money.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Cause they're non comicbook readers lol

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becuase their stupid.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_murica: Superman's outfit is considered lame, but now they changed it. but it won't be till Man of steel 2 when people start accepting his modern costume and then his lamness will end (:

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you seen How Cap looks? Have you seen His costume? He just looks boring. At least He did for me wHen I was a kid. THings Have cHanged for me but MetH tHinks otHers may judge Cap based on His looks.

II. He can be viewed to be self rigHteous wHicH can be seen as a boring trait.

III. I'm sure His films and more spotligHt can cHange tHat.

-ABstract4$$#073-

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Alak

@humanrocket: This scan tugs on my heart strings so hard!

I think most of the disrespect that Captain America gets stems from ignorance. They don't read his books, so they just go off of whatever stereotype that forms in their heads. This goes for everyone else too. I like most comic book characters, and I feel like the hate and underestimations they receive aren't well-founded at all.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause they hate America.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#36  Edited By Extremis

For one thing, I don't think casual fans (from the movies) understand the charm of the character. Not sure exactly why some of them don't get it, maybe it's the movies not driving it home.

He represents a whole different era of Americanism, a time when the American dream still meant something; when right and wrong was black and white; when a problem could seemingly be solved with a well placed punch. Since then we've done a lot of wrong. The world has changed. No problem is without it's ridiculous complexity. There's not much optimism in America anymore. Taking a character like Cap and implanting him into the current times is a great way to contrast the differences between how we are versus how we hoped we'd be.

In all fairness, a reason why he might not resonate with people could be that he's not much for way of character development. He's one of those characters that's always kind of been the same over the course of his history. He's awesome and well loved, but he's not necessarily compelling. He doesn't have any major flaws. I think it just ends up that way when considering the whole symbolic nature of the character is that he represents an idealism that we can only aspire to.

So in that way Cap is more of a time capsule than an evolving character, and while that makes him such an enduring favorite, it also limits him from experiencing any serious character development. He's a one note guy in that his whole shtick is being the "man out of time". That's his one thing. So if that doesn't grab ya, you'll probably never like him.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve: I almost feel bad. You missing out on the Superman's and Cap's and all.

Don't feel bad for me. My life is awesome. You have probably never read a lot of great things, but I don't hold it against you. :D

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve: Point taken. Though I did say almost feel bad. I know all about different strokes for different folks. At any rate I am trying to expand my own horizons. Anything of note I should keep an eye out for?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Lvenger

I didn't get Cap for a while but over time, I saw just what an inspirational and diverse character he really was. It's a shame people allow themselves to get caught up in preconceived notions and not look deeply enough into Captain America's rich history and evolving character. Now he's in my top 10 favourite comic book characters even though I'm quite a cynical Brit where cynicism reigns supreme :P

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JeanRalphio

Most people see him for what he is. He's a doped up failed soldier.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terrybogard2014 said:

Not really, if that was the case Spider-Man and Iron Man wouldn't be popular. I don't know anyone irl who disrespects Cap but I assume people who do think the character is dated.

If Iron Man isn't cynical,then I don't know what is.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say for certain, but they are really missing out.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Herokiller12344

I think it has something to do with how popular it is to hate America these days.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

America is not really one of the popular country at the moment

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Because this:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

Best and most accurate answer you will get.

Because this:

No Caption Provided

Lol, this scan is hysterical.

Spiderman1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I respect captain america. He's one of my favorite super heroes

Avatar image for terrybogard2014
TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terrybogard2014 said:

Not really, if that was the case Spider-Man and Iron Man wouldn't be popular.I don't know anyone irl who disrespects Cap but I assume people who do think the character is dated.

Iron man is cynical and snarky,spider-man can be pessimistic when it comes to his personal life but hopeful,cap is probably the closest to a emotionally healthy human being,I think cap got a lot of x-fans hating him after avx lol,and i'm sure their are people that think hes dated but thats kinda the point,hes misplaced from time

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure if I'd say I have the utmost respect for him, but I wouldn't call him "boring" or "lame". I think he's alright. That being said, I've never actually had enough interest in him to buy any of his solo comics.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RisingBean

Most people see him for what he is. He's a doped up failed soldier.

For being a failed soldier he sure is full of win.