#1 Posted by cdw101 (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Could magneto inflict some serioous damage upon the shield?!!!

#2 Edited by Teerack (6606 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah he used to be able to bend it and rip it in half pretty effortlessly, but after AvX it is possibly his powers were weaken enough that he couldn't mutilate Vibrainum Animantium Alloy more then just moving it around.

#3 Posted by cdw101 (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Really, take it thats why these two have never come up against each other, might be a bit one sided? would be an interesting match tho!

#4 Posted by Teerack (6606 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap does have a non metal shield if he needs to fight Magneto. Not that I think Cap could really take down Magneto regardless.

#5 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@cdw101 said:

Really, take it thats why these two have never come up against each other, might be a bit one sided? would be an interesting match tho!

Actually, Cap and Magneto did fight each other atleast once back in the 60s or 70s. I have it in a Cap comic. He was able to use his powers on Cap's shield (stopping it in flight, levetating it, etc), but as far as destroying it, I don't know, I would imagine he could, though.

#6 Edited by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

Though Magneto could use his powers to take control of Cap's shield, I'm skeptical about his ability to damage it in any way other than scuffing the paint.

#7 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

It's metal so he has complete control over it but as someone already said, Cap has an electric shield to fight Magneto.

#8 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that's right though. I have a New Mutant's issue from the 80's (when Magneto took over the school in Charles' absence) and Magneto fought all of the Avengers. He couldn't affect Cap's shield at all and wound up catching it in the folds of his metallic laced cape or something. I'll have to look that up- it was a good issue too.

edit: New Mutants Vol 1 issue 40

#9 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted:

Cool. But in one of my Captain America omnibuses, Cap finds a mutant and Magneto tries to abduct him, Cap throws his shield and Mag just uses his powers an sends it away. So there does seem to be a bit of contradicting evidence here.

#10 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: true too that Cap has used various shields at various times. Being a big Cap fan I know that at the time of that New Mutants issue it was his one of a kind shield (the adamantium-vibranium mix that has never been duplicated). So there is that to be factored in to any discussion, however I believe the OP was asking about that one 'THE Shield'. Obviously though we need more input on this topic.

#11 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted said:

@tg1982: true too that Cap has used various shields at various times. Being a big Cap fan I know that at the time of that New Mutants issue it was his one of a kind shield (the adamantium-vibranium mix that has never been duplicated). So there is that to be factored in to any discussion, however I believe the OP was asking about that one 'THE Shield'. Obviously though we need more input on this topic.

Yeah, THE shield is the one he used in my omnibus also.

I hate to nitpick and be "THAT" guy, but technically Cap's shield isn't adamantium and vibranium, it's vibranium and an unknown iron alloy. The process to duplicate Cap's shield did accidentally create adamantium, and Ultimate Cap's shield is in fact adimantium and vibranium, but not 616 Cap's shield. I hope I don't come off sounding like a snotty know it all or anything, LOL.

#12 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@mynamewasdeleted said:

@tg1982: true too that Cap has used various shields at various times. Being a big Cap fan I know that at the time of that New Mutants issue it was his one of a kind shield (the adamantium-vibranium mix that has never been duplicated). So there is that to be factored in to any discussion, however I believe the OP was asking about that one 'THE Shield'. Obviously though we need more input on this topic.

Yeah, THE shield is the one he used in my omnibus also.

I hate to nitpick and be "THAT" guy, but technically Cap's shield isn't adamantium and vibranium, it's vibranium and an unknown iron alloy. The process to duplicate Cap's shield did accidentally create adamantium, and Ultimate Cap's shield is in fact adimantium and vibranium, but not 616 Cap's shield. I hope I don't come off sounding like a snotty know it all or anything, LOL.

technically- that was retconned.. I'm old school baby... dig on this..

#13 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted:

I do have a question though, it says the shield is constructed of a unique vibranium-adamantium alloy, then says that in an effort to duplicate the metal in the shield McLain invented adamantium, so if the adamantium was already created, then how could he invent it?

#15 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

from the adamantium page here on comic vine:

MacLain began experimenting with the process that creates adamantium as a young scientist in the employ of the United States government in the early 1940s. By accident he created a special adamantium compound, which is more durable than any form of adamantium created since, and then through another accident, fused this adamantium sample he had created with a sample of an unknown metal catalyst and the metal which is now known to have been Wakandan Vibranium. The result was the large rounded specimen of alloy which is the most virtually indestructible substance known to man. This alloy specimen was given toCaptain America to serve as his Shield. The exact chemical composition of Captain America's shield and the exact degree to which it is indestructible have never been determined, nor has MacLain or anyone else ever learned how to duplicate either the special adamantium compound used in the creation of the shield, which Is known as Proto-Adamantium, or the process which fused the Proto-Adamantium with the Wakandan Vibranium.

#16 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted:

Oh. I see. I just thought it was weird the way the handbook explained it.

Now back to topic. If it is adamantium then I would say that Magneto indeed could affect the shield, remember what he did to Wolverine way back when.

#17 Posted by CaptainLantern76 (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@mynamewasdeleted:

Oh. I see. I just thought it was weird the way the handbook explained it.

Now back to topic. If it is adamantium then I would say that Magneto indeed could affect the shield, remember what he did to Wolverine way back when.

#18 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: @captainlantern76: it's not though... it's a proto-adamantium and vibranium alloy

I'm going to have to go and dig that book out tomorrow to settle this with a scan- I may be mistaken though, it's been like a hundred years since I read that issue. Also- Magneto was holding back, because he was trying to be a good guy, and he had an injured Warlock on the field to consider.

#19 Posted by CaptainLantern76 (553 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

#21 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

quoting Magneto's thoughts "...his accursed shield is formed of some substance my magnetic powers cannot affect.."

Does this answer the question to your satisfaction fellow comicbook lovers?

#22 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

when magneto ripped out wolverines adamantium he broke it down at the molecular level to manipulate it out of his body in a liquid like state. i remember in marvel zombies he manipulated caps shield to do some major damage before he was killed although that wasnt canon but w/e

#23 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine1610: but he actually says he can't affect it- right there^

#24 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted: well i mean it was an older comic, things change wildly with the times and writer lol idk

#25 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Granted it's older, and much has been said of -and done to- Cap's shield over the years, however if no one else has a more recent scan depicting the correct shield (in other words THE shield) I'm inclined to continue to think it unaffected by Magneto.

This isn't to say Magneto is weak- by any stretch of the imagination. He is one of the most powerful guys in Marvel's pantheon of characters. Underused? Underrated?

..yes, but never under-estimate him.

#26 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted:

The only other evidence I have is in one of my Captain America ominbuses, Cap discovers a tiny mutant and Magneto tries to get him, so him and Cap scuffle and Cap throws his shield at Mags and Mags just sends it away. But it was before your comic scan (60's or 70's) so, I don't know. Yours is more recent so I'd go with that.

#27 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@mynamewasdeleted:

The only other evidence I have is in one of my Captain America ominbuses, Cap discovers a tiny mutant and Magneto tries to get him, so him and Cap scuffle and Cap throws his shield at Mags and Mags just sends it away. But it was before your comic scan (60's or 70's) so, I don't know. Yours is more recent so I'd go with that.

Oh I remember that issue from Kirby's trippy run....good times.....

@tg1982 said:

@mynamewasdeleted said:

@tg1982: true too that Cap has used various shields at various times. Being a big Cap fan I know that at the time of that New Mutants issue it was his one of a kind shield (the adamantium-vibranium mix that has never been duplicated). So there is that to be factored in to any discussion, however I believe the OP was asking about that one 'THE Shield'. Obviously though we need more input on this topic.

Yeah, THE shield is the one he used in my omnibus also.

I hate to nitpick and be "THAT" guy, but technically Cap's shield isn't adamantium and vibranium, it's vibranium and an unknown iron alloy. The process to duplicate Cap's shield did accidentally create adamantium, and Ultimate Cap's shield is in fact adimantium and vibranium, but not 616 Cap's shield. I hope I don't come off sounding like a snotty know it all or anything, LOL.

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but I feel complied to point out that that isn't true. Ultimate Cap's shield is never stated to be made of either adamantium or vibranium, it's just specified as a 'bulletproof metal' and nothing more. Yeah I know it has no relevance to the actual discussion, but just thought you might wanna know ;)

#28 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, I found another fight between Cap and Magneto... ready? back in 1977 the Captain America KING-SIZE Annual #4.

They fight two times through the course of the book and never once does Magneto damage or take control of Cap's shield.

I'll keep looking for more, but it'd be nice if you ( @tg1982: ) had a reference to clue me in on your 60's or 70's fight (what book? volume? number?). Thanks!

#29 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Sorry to be a nitpicker, but I feel complied to point out that that isn't true. Ultimate Cap's shield is never stated to be made of either adamantium or vibranium, it's just specified as a 'bulletproof metal' and nothing more. Yeah I know it has no relevance to the actual discussion, but just thought you might wanna know ;)

Oh. I don't read the Ultimate line, I was just going by what I heard and by what I saw in the cartoon movies. It was said that Ultimate Cap had an adamantium shield that was destroyed by Gregory Stark with Thor's hammer in, IIRC Avengers vs New Ultimates #6.

Hey, I found another fight between Cap and Magneto... ready? back in 1977 the Captain America KING-SIZE Annual #4.

They fight two times through the course of the book and never once does Magneto damage or take control of Cap's shield.

I'll keep looking for more, but it'd be nice if you ( @tg1982: ) had a reference to clue me in on your 60's or 70's fight (what book? volume? number?). Thanks!

I'll look for it, but it's in my storage so it may be a little while.

#30 Edited by GoldKing (419 posts) - - Show Bio

@cdw101 said:

Could magneto inflict some serious damage upon the shield?!!!

Absolutely not. He could control it all he wanted, but he couldn't cause harm to it (bend it/break it/twist it/etc). If Magneto at his peak focused 100% of his awesome power to destroy the shield, just about the only thing that would happen is he'd give himself a bad case of hemroids from the strain. But the shield would remain intact and unharmed.

The fact that the shield has ever been harmed is stupid in my book. It should've remained impervious to any and all attacks (with exception to the Infinity Gauntlet and Pre-Retcon Molecule Man)