Is Captain America the Greatest Superhero ever??

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#51  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@fbdarkangel You do know she's faking an orgasm in that gif right? Not laughing...

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By batmanary

All characters are as good as the writer behind them, but with Cap you automatically get this feeling of uber Americana, and that means that while he's okay, he's certainly not going to be a favourite of the majority of audiences worldwide (there will be exceptions, of course.) I personally believe Batman is the best superhero because he's seen so many different interpretations, and all of them have some storylines that are considered excellent. Batman is a great character beyond the writer, and all these experiences have contributed to the character's growth. Indeed I believe Batman is the best, because his world can stand alone, away from the rest of the DCU, and remain fresh and exciting, and that's something Cap doesn't have. Captain America is completely tied down to the Marvel U. His book never steers clear from that, and although Brubaker's has been doing excellent work with the character, that's the extent to which I like him. Brubaker's the reason I like Cap, not Cap himself. Cap's exclusive universe is relegated to the Winter Soldier, really, as the rest are tied to the greater Marvel U, and if you take that away from him, he's an empty shell. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and a lot of people like the fact that he' s more involved in the Marvel U, but I don't like it. I think that it makes his book weaker because it cannot truly stand on its own. Not to mention that the only villains that are interesting are Red Skull, Zemo, and the Brubaker addition of Lukin (who's now dead).

Another thing here is that Steve Rogers isn't given much real character development. He's quite wooden, and doesn't have any real intriguing facets about him. Bucky does. Bucky's the real gamechanger in that whole run, and frankly, he's a stronger character than Cap. That's why I believe Cap isn't in my top ten.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53  Edited By DarkChris

@Mego_Stretch_Hulk: My fanboy-sense is tingling! :P

Anyway, he is in the top 10. After Supes, Batman, Spider-man, Green Lantern and Thor. I guess he's in top 6.

Poontanglife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Poontanglife

Lol no, i understand the mans points and arguments about his personality and traits, but he is by far NOT the best hero.

Me - a european likes Rogers, he is a fun read, i like his powers, his personality.. but i also always thought he was the cheesiest pop-icon hero ever created - his whole ''trait'' is outdated.

Now on Superman, - who i want to say a few words about since he was mentioned in the article - is timeless, universel and he needs to be all-powerful because he is the best and the greatest. He is the template of all heroes.

Captain America may be the greatest american hero.

But Superman is the hero that Earth deserves.

Avatar image for mego_stretch_hulk
Mego_Stretch_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Poontanglife said:

Lol no, i understand the mans points and arguments about his personality and traits, but he is by far NOT the best hero.

Me - a european likes Rogers, he is a fun read, i like his powers, his personality.. but i also always thought he was the cheesiest pop-icon hero ever created - his whole ''trait'' is outdated.

Now on Superman, - who i want to say a few words about since he was mentioned in the article - is timeless, universel and he needs to be all-powerful because he is the best and the greatest. He is the template of all heroes.

Captain America may be the greatest american hero.

But Superman is the hero that Earth deserves.

But this is also what makes Cap the best. It's the fact that he has everything to lose and yet all the others fall behind his lead.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By PowerHerc

I like Hercules the most, but the contest for greatest superhero of all-time comes down to Superman and Captain America.

Not the Hulk, not Green Lantern, not Wolverine, not Spider-Man and not even Batman. Superman and Captain America. Superman or Captain America.

It's so close I almost can't decide, but in the end Superman edges Captain America by a hair.

No Caption Provided
TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TheRedRobin96

Depends on the person. Like in my opinion it is Green Arrow but many would disagree with that.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Damn sure one of them.

marvel186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By marvel186

marvel is to cap, dc is to superman. cap though is not the strongest but the greatest. superman is the strongest but have a shameful weaknes

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

5th or 6th.  

Superman, Spider, Batman, Wonder Woman are all leagues above Cap. 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By PowerHerc

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Damn sure one of them.

Agree.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

5th or 6th. Superman, Spider, Batman, Wonder Woman are all leagues above Cap.

Disagree.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Video_Martian

@TheGoldenOne said:

No.
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Deranged Midget

The Greatest? No. A massively inspirational icon? Yes.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Dhor

Not even close. he`s actually a pretty bad character IMO. comparing him to Superman is ridiculous. maybe in AMERICA hes pretty popular but in the rest of world he`s just an unknown hero.and hes name is frinkking lame

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Billy Batson

meh.
BB

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but he's up there.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#67  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

nope

aerokinesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By aerokinesis

@Belphegor said:

No. Storm is!

QFT

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#69  Edited By TheCannon

No. Cap's a great guy, but he's only one of the best superheroes of all time. He doesn't even compare to Thor or Wonder Woman.

marvel186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By marvel186

Cap is the greatest Leader BUT not the greatest hero

vicioushero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By vicioushero

Spider-Man FTW

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By PowerHerc

@marvel186 said:

Yes. He's the second greatest superhero.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nope

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#74  Edited By daredevil21134

@PowerHerc said:

@marvel186 said:

Who's first

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By Mega_spidey01

no. its cyclops he was born to lead the x-men and has been doing it since he was 15 time and time again he has proven to a real leader and a battle hard warrior cause their must be sacrifice.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Onemoreposter

Superman

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Onemoreposter said:

Superman

This.

It depends on what your definition of greatest is. But to me, Superman's got this one on all fronts.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Blood1991

What brought this thread back? I love Captain America, but I love alot of diffrent characters who are considered both awesome and sucky depending on a fans views. It really depends on what your into in terms of comics and characters.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#79  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

One of the greats in my opinion, but the greatest? Well that's a hard question because it's all a matter of opinion.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PowerHerc

@daredevil21134 said:

@PowerHerc said:

@marvel186 said:

Who's first

Captain America is Marvel's greatest superhero but thegreatest superhero is Superman.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#81  Edited By daredevil21134

@PowerHerc said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@PowerHerc said:

@marvel186 said:

Who's first

Captain America is Marvel's greatest superhero but thegreatest superhero is Superman.

New 52 Superman?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By PowerHerc

@daredevil21134 said:

@PowerHerc said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@PowerHerc said:

@marvel186 said:

Who's first

New 52 Superman?

Superman, whatever the incarnation, remains Superman, so: Yes.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

No, this guy is 

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Blood1991

@The Stegman said:

No, this guy is

Without him we may have never of had superheroes period. THANK YOU SUPERMAN!

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Hoboseid

@Blood1991 said:

@The Stegman said:

No, this guy is

Currently IMO its Batman followed by Peter Parker.

@Blood1991 said:

Without him we may have never of had superheroes period. THANK YOU SUPERMAN!

Superheroes existed long before Superman, Doc Savage, John Carter and the Shadow

and before the US existed civilizations in Rome and Beiing and their mythical heroes with superpowers

I agree his image is iconic but I'm not really a fan of red capes or wearing underwear outside you trousers

back in the 80s and WW2 ear his story worked but today he's out of time/fashion

I also think Superman is outdated today and now replaced by gritty characters like Batman, TonyStark, Wolverine or stuff from Japanese video game/anime/movies

tootyghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By tootyghost

Spiderman can kick his butt. All he had to do is web sling the shield off, cover captain america in a web cacoon up to his neck, and throw him in quick sand

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Rogan2112

Well, again, this is all a matter of taste and opinion. I have other characters who are my favorites, but barring the "Superman", shattering the world with their bare hands. Cap can (and has) beaten pretty much everyone. That's his thing. He's the guy who wins anyway. Though, I don't think his ability to win every fight is the point here, it's his level of heroism, and heroic ideal. Captain America stands for the IDEALS that the United States were founded on, not whoever is currently in power, he does what he believes is RIGHT, period. Plus, he's THE butt-kicker of the Marvel U,(yes, including Wolverine), and he's THE leader pretty much everyone would follow, because no one doubts his heroic ideal or dedication to his cause. He may not be my favorite to READ about most times, but he's the standard by which I think pretty much all other super heroes should be measured (behavior, and dedication wise) at the very least.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I don't even think he's a good hero.

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Dhor

@Imagine_Man15 said:

I don't even think he's a good hero.

Agreed. IMO he`s just an American hero. for ppl that are outside of the US we don`t really care about him and consider him pretty lame. I know that Superman, batman and most of the superheroes are americans but they have a set of values that ppl outside of US can relate to. I use to like Cap but some of his lines just made him seem like a classical american moron,

I mean "Do you think that this A stands for France " is just wrong. France has been in wars more years then the USA has existed so...

IMO Cap is one of the reasons ppl hate Americans, they consider themselves better then anyone but in truth they have very little to actually be proud of.

Superman, BAtman and the others never "seem " to represent any countries values but they have a set of values that can generally be accepted by any individual

PS i know the Superman protects Truth justice AND THE AMERICAN WAY but he never seems like a extremist. I mean he just seems a great guy not a nationalist.

homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By homeslice

Superman is my favourite comic book character and the greatest superhero of all time imo.

Cap is my 2nd favourite character and i think that in terms of pure morals and heroism he is the best in marvel.

The title of greatest superhero ever in terms of popularity,symbolism and relevance belongs to superman or batman I would think. Cap should be up there with them imo. I'm not american myself but i find his spirit and good character endearing. He serves as an ideal and an inspiration to others and is not a mindless patriot. He shares a mutual respect/friendship with a multitude of international/ alien/ non human characters such as Black panther, Namor, Vison, thor etc.

Lines such as ' do you think this A stands for France' belong to ultimate captain america who is nowhere near as moral, humble and open minded as regular 616 cap who respects the french for their efforts.

Cap has often been troubled by the lack of good values in modern (american) society. He has often stated his reluctance to hold the mantle of captain america and did it as a way of serving/helping his country during the war. These sentiments amplified in the present but he realized that he still served as a symbol of hope an inspiration to the people so he kept the mantle in order to continue inspiring the them to be the best they could be by representing an ideal.

Considering his fame/recogniton would decrease had he chosen another persona and the fact that he was created during world war 2 as a kind of propaganda it's perfectly understandable that marvel has decided to keep his identity as captain america more-or-less unchanged. The character is still among the most moral/good hearted characters in all of comicbooks (2nd only to superman imo). Cap's values, feats of leadership/strategy/physical ability and being among the oldest of comicbook superheroes deserves the title of One of the best superheroes ever in league with Superman, Spiderman and Batman etc.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By tg1982

@Dhor

freedom, liberty, human rights, equality, bravery, duty, and honor

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Dhor

@tg1982: i`m sorry if i came of as

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By tg1982

@Dhor: It's fine. Don't worry about it. The Cap you have read, as stated by someone else sounds like Ultimate Cap not 616 Cap, The main universe Cap is really different than Ultimate Cap in terms of personality.

DrEgonSpengler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By DrEgonSpengler

Superman is the best.

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#95  Edited By Lion_Heart22

Well, I don't know how many of you are not americans, but let me tell you something: Cap is not exactly popular in not-american places. Some plain hate him without knowing the character.

I myself am not american, but I love Captain America. However I do not consider him to be the greatest superhero. Particularly with how he's been written lately, condoning torture and invading Utopia. Make no mistake, I think Cap is great, he makes stand up straight.

But, even if Superman is "cool to hate" now, he remains the most widely known, most popular, most respectable, greatest super hero of all. Punks dislike him precisely because he is so good. He truly makes me want to be a better person, and no other hero has accomplished that much with me. Absolutely everyone knows who Superman is and most still like him. People all over the world who don't read comics wear his symbol on their clothes, they know his origin, his weaknesses, his character. And they know it without Superman being hip or cool right now because of a new movie. You can't say that for Steve Rogers, not outside of America, sorry.

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Lion_Heart22

@Dhorsaid:

I mean "Do you think that this A stands for France " is just wrong. France has been in wars more years then the USA has existed so...

Also, this. You will never hear Supes being that much of a dick in a modern comic book. I was deeply disturbed and saddened because of that line, because it will go down in history as Cap's legacy, staining him, even if it was only Ultimate Cap who said it. The author seems to not know who Cap is. I mean, really? This man fought side to side with the French Resistance and he's gonna say that? Nah, sorry, but nah. And then, you can go read an actual book and see that France has the best Military record in Europe.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#97  Edited By htb106

I think the greatest hero ever would be Batman or Flash.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Rogan2112

@Lion_Heart22

France has the best military record in Europe??? Okay, first let me begin by saying, without the intervention of France, there almost certainly would not BE a United States of America, and any American (and yes I'm American) who blows that off, is doing a TERRIBLE injustice to the French...HOWEVER) The following list is a bit oversimplified but still very accurate and was composed by NON American historians:

- Gallic Wars

- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian. [Or at ths time in history, a Roman -ed.]

- Hundred Years War

- Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman." Sainted.

- Italian Wars

- Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians.

- Wars of Religion

- France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

- Thirty Years War

- France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

- War of Revolution

- Tied.

- The Dutch War

- Tied

- War of the Augsburg League/King William's War/French and Indian War

- Lost, but claimed as a tie.

- War of the Spanish Succession

- L- French Revolution

- Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

- The Napoleonic Wars

- Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

- The Franco-Prussian War

- Lost.

- World War I

- Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States [Entering the war late -ed.].

- World War II

- Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain

- War in Indochina

- Lost.

- Algerian Rebellion

- Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades,

There are more but I'll leave it at that, except for this last one. At Agencort, British King Henry the V, let 10,000 Englishmen against 40,000 Frenchmen MANY of them armed and mounted cavalry on the Frenchmen's home ground and beat them SOUNDLY.

Point is, A. Captain America's statement in that particular issue was reffering to the Vicci French during WW2, not the whole of France in history. B. Even if he was.....

Btw...again I'm not trying to insult France, I was simply refuting your statement with some facts. If you have facts that refute mine. Please share them, God knows I've been wrong before. Again...this is in FUN.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By tg1982

@Lion_Heart22 said:

@Dhorsaid:

Also, this. You will never hear Supes being that much of a dick in a modern comic book. I was deeply disturbed and saddened because of that line, because it will go down in history as Cap's legacy, staining him, even if it was only Ultimate Cap who said it. The author seems to not know who Cap is. I mean, really? This man fought side to side with the French Resistance and he's gonna say that? Nah, sorry, but nah. And then, you can go read an actual book and see that France has the best Military record in Europe.

Then you should hold it against the writer not the character. I mean every hero has bad writers that are completely oblivious to the character they write, especially characters with as long and storied careers as Captain America Batman and Superman. Even though Captain America is my favorite comic hero, I do still agree with you Superman is number one as far as the greatest hero. Though I personally don't really like him, not because of his personality but simply because of his sheer power. I honestly find it quite boring, as I do with most non street-levelers, but I'm totally down with his morals and ethics.

@Rogan2112: I like the French Revolution one, they won due to their opponents also being French. LMAO.

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Lion_Heart22

@Rogan2112: Your facts are taken from the second link that results of searching "France Military Record". That page lists only hand-picked defeats. If it were an objective study of France's military history it would list France's victories along with its defeats. For an actual and more accurate account of France's military record, go here: http://www.militaryfactory.com/battles/french_military_victories.asp

Where French victories, draws and loses are all arranged in a timeline, all the way down to the Franks. You did not refute anything, in reality. Also, The battle of Agencourt was won by the British using their longbows (or was it crossbows?) against a horde of Fully armed French knights. They were easy to mow down. It's not as if an inferior number if Brits smashed the french to pieces. They used long range weaponry which was considered dishonorable in a contest amongst nobles and knights. A win is a win, but it's not as black and white as you claim.