#1 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

You know the drill

here we can discuss all things related to captain america from MN, including both his main and side series(Living Legend).

thoughts?

#2 Posted by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving the current series, I enjoyed the Dimension Z storyline and are looking forward to seeing Cap back in the real world.

#3 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving the current series, I enjoyed the Dimension Z storyline and are looking forward to seeing Cap back in the real world.

i have to disagree there bud :/, i was loving the series and it really let me down.

it had tons of potential but eventually they were shattered.

#4 Edited by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

i have to disagree there bud :/, i was loving the series and it really let me down.

How so?

#5 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@war_killer said:

How so?

1) He didn't spend 12 years of his Life in Dimension Z, he thinks he did, he was there for about 35 five minutes according to agent Carter. which again was terribly executed. Considering that Cap escaped from the pods from the start and was out free in the dimension Z for a long time, so when did Zola have the time to program him into thinking that everything was fake? And why did Ian have the same feeling for Cap? i mean, he was obviously not imaginary, so was he programmed too? why? Zola intended Ian to be his won Son so why did Ian have the memories too?

2)while he may not be clinging on to the past( he wasn't clinging on to anything for a long time now though), he's still mentally in demension Z, which is basically the same difference. Instead of his past he's still somewhere else, and he misses the place in which he use to be. He's still a man out of our current society, he gained a set back as a character. There's no difference if he's misses world war 2 or Dimension Z, he's still Not HERE, which is something he's been dealing with for a long time until he managed to grow out of it. What remender did, despite how you look at it, put him back in the same position.

See what i'm getting at? it' was terribly executed. Maybe the concept itself wasn't bad, and i'm not angry when a writer tries to do something different with a character, but if it's not well executed why the hell should i praise it? i like the way it all started and up until issue 6 i was loving the series but then it went down the crapper. unfortunate, but true.

( i Basically repeated my reasons from the other thread coz i was bit lazy in writing it all down again lol)

i do have hopes for the new arc though.

#6 Edited by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Uh no, Sharon was the one who was wrong. To her only 35 or so minutes had past but for Steve he had literally been in that dimension for 12 years. We see this when Steve returns to his dimension and when he tries to go back to save Sharon but discovers that a few years had already gone by in Dimension Z. But Cap really did spend 12 years of his life there, but for Sharon it had only been minutes. Everything Steve experienced, the years wandering Dimension Z, raising Ian, fighting Zola’s control over his body, all of that really did happen. He went into Dimension Z at 90 years old, but came out 102 years old. Time just moved faster there for some reason.

I can kinda see what you mean here, as nowhere did he ever have the trophy room we see in issue #11, but I’m still willing to give the story arc a chance before giving my full thoughts on it. But I can see where you’re getting at.

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Uh no, Sharon was the one who was wrong. To her only 35 or so minutes had past but for Steve he had literally been in that dimension for 12 years. We see this when Steve returns to his dimension and when he tries to go back to save Sharon but discovers that a few years had already gone by in Dimension Z. But Cap really did spend 12 years of his life there, but for Sharon it had only been minutes. Everything Steve experienced, the years wandering Dimension Z, raising Ian, fighting Zola’s control over his body, all of that really did happen. He went into Dimension Z at 90 years old, but came out 102 years old. Time just moved faster there for some reason.

I can kinda see what you mean here, as nowhere did he ever have the trophy room we see in issue #11, but I’m still willing to give the story arc a chance before giving my full thoughts on it. But I can see where you’re getting at.

Yup, this was further proven through the studies done to him during issue 11:

#8 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: @deranged_midget: i see now. thanks for clearing that up.

Though to list my other troubles

1)Again, steve is back to his status. The one he had back when he was dug up from ice. he's out of place, lost, and well, can't adapt.

This is the main problem bud. and to show you why i think this is serious i'll bring you an Example.

Hulk- Take a look at what direction mark waid went, he made banner much more confident and much more accepting of his condition. If this was done out of the blue it would have been terrible, but this has been developing for a long time. Bill Mantlo was grooming banner to be stronger, then peter david made banner much more confident in his nerdy kind of way, and finely Pak made banner hulks equal and both started working together. hence where waid came in. If he had made banner complain about his condition again, it would set back years of development. by now banner already realized that hulk is a good guy, which is how it should be,

Spider-man- you know why people hate One more Day and Superior? it's because it sets back Character development. one more day retconned all the stuff peter went through and brought him back to his regular, broke, unemployed, dateless status. And Superior will be doing the same thing, by the time peter comes back, we'll spider-man being broke, infamous, and without girlfriend.

remender did the same thing to captain america.

2) Carters death was totally unnecessary. and mark my words, she will come back as a villain. This is always the pattern in remenders stuff. MARK MAH WORDS !:P

#9 Edited by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Wow there cowboy, I really think comparing Captain America to the Superior Spider-Man is a little...MUCH. Seriously, that's a bit of an overreaction, wouldn't you say? I mean, Remender's not Brubaker by any means, but he's not Dan Slott.

As for Sharon coming back as a villain, the fact that there wasn't a body and how it was teased that Zola is still out there, I wouldn't be surprised if it were revealed that he secretly has been holding her captive. I wouldn't doubt he'd even try to brainwash her either like he did with both Ian and Jet, but in the end I believe Steve will be able to break through to her, they do love each other after all. :P

Honestly, I think you're being too hard on the series. It's different I'll admit, I at first I wasn't excited about Dimension Z, but after reading it I have to say that I actually enjoyed it. It was something new and different, taking both Cap and us as readers out of our comfort zone and dropping us into an unfamiliar environment. But that's not necessarily a bad thing and is something I'm willing to give a chance before I go off putting it in the same boat as Superior Spider-Man.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: you took my examples way too seriously :P, it was just to make a comparison

Cap>>>>>>>>>>Superior

but still , the status was a set back IMO :P

#11 Posted by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I just don't see it like that for some reason, I don't feel that it's hurt the character's development as much as you make it out to be. But that's just my personally assessment of the series so far.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I just don't see it like that for some reason, I don't feel that it's hurt the character's development as much as you make it out to be. But that's just my personally assessment of the series so far.

to each their own :)))

#13 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

I've really been digging Remender's Captain America. Dimension Z was, IMO, a really great arc, despite Sharon's death. I don't really see how Cap's status is being set back, I think it's going in a different place, We see him with a "son", and now he's back in the real world with a "teenage daughter", to me it seems as if his Steve's status is changing, it's going to a whole new place. It's just my opinion.

#14 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11591 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read all the comments so I don't know if this has already been said but I will chime in with this:

I thought Dimension Z was a great story arc, however, what I didn't like was that Steve technically spent more time in DZ than he has in the MU, according to the story. That just kind of put a huge distaste in my mouth.

#15 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read all the comments so I don't know if this has already been said but I will chime in with this:

I thought Dimension Z was a great story arc, however, what I didn't like was that Steve technically spent more time in DZ than he has in the MU, according to the story. That just kind of put a huge distaste in my mouth.

that's the reason i didn't like the arc, it set cap back into the "i'm a man out of the current world" situation again.

#16 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11591 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Unfortunately, If I recall correctly, that was the entire point of the story :\

#17 Posted by Spideysense44 (3457 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Marvel Now's Captain America route :/

#18 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys know the drill.

what'd you think of the new issue?

I for one like this one very much, 3.5/5

#19 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (14459 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: It was a good issue and I will continue to pick up the next issue of it.

#20 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14459 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Yeah me too but what sold me on this issue is the whole Iron Nail situation which is pretty cool.

#22 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Yeah me too but what sold me on this issue is the whole Iron Nail situation which is pretty cool.

i'll give it that, seems like a cool villain, though i hope the monster totem thing is at least explained.

#23 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I'll be honest, I was one issue away from dropping this series. Up until now, this current storyline with Nuke has just been boring, but thankfully things are beginning to heat up and seeing Cap heed the call to defend American's image was nice to see instead of Cap just moping around. This issue felt a lot like Brubaker's run, which I'm happy about, starting with the flashback to the 60's with Nick Fury Sr. and seeing Winter Soldier appear was very welcomed. I also enjoyed seeing S.H.I.E.L.D trying to contain the situation with Nuke and seeing Cap's thoughts on the horror around him as he tries to stop Nuke was fun to read. My only disappointment really was that the issue felt too short, but hopefully next issue will keep the action rolling.

Overall, this issue got me excited once again and I'm looking forward to next issue.

#25 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (14459 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

I dropped this after issue 10. started strong, but was long and drawn out to the point I couldn't enjoy it. and the new art looks worse then romitas IMO.

#27 Posted by Cap10nate (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the issue. It was nice to see the back story with SHIELD and the Iron Nail as well a touch of Bucky. I know it's Remender's thing to make everyone miserable in his stories, but I hope he doesn't keep Steve a sad sack for the next year or so.

#28 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11591 posts) - - Show Bio

I dropped the issue from last month at #12 but this week something got me to pick up issues 12 and 13. I think it was because Falcon's in the story and Winter Soldier is coming in soon. The current arc is strange because Cap has the lost the American way in place of the Dimension Z way but nonetheless I'm digging it.

#29 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: This was the only one that I actually liked too. Captain america has been a hit or miss for me but because of this issue, I'm sticking around for a while.

#30 Posted by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: This was the only one that I actually liked too. Captain america has been a hit or miss for me but because of this issue, I'm sticking around for a while.

I enjoyed Dimension Z, like I've mentioned before, but this current storyline has just been boring. Maybe it's just been a slow build up, but I've been tempted to drop the series all together. If they keep the series more like it was in the past issue I'll be happy, but I'm still not sure how I feel about this...

I understand Remender wants to take Cap back to the weird and wacky science fiction stories of the 70s or whatever, but this Dr. Mindbubble (seriously, that's his name apparently...) villain that he's planning on using in the series...it just looks TOO wacky for me.

#31 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Yeah, At least In hulk we get guys like the chronarchists who even by the name sound so much cooler. Thing is though, If I don't drop the series before reaching this arc, I'll give it a chance. I mean, there are many characters with wacky designs and names, so I might give it a shot.

Though I'd prefer a villain like the Iron Nail.

#32 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

As some have already mentioned on here, I loved the Dimension Z stuff. However, this current arc is dragging just a bit. I loved the first issue after DZ with it being very focused on Cap's new mindset now and the pain he feels.

This most recent issue suffered a bit because it didn't really give us more interaction with Cap to see how he's doing, instead just having other characters tell the reader. Which is fine for one issue, but I like it to stay centered around Cap more and I'm not sure I love this new arc's concept. It seems kind of weak after the awesomeness of DZ. After 3 issues not much has really happened.

#33 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Edited by War Killer (20205 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@war_killer: Yeah, At least In hulk we get guys like the chronarchists who even by the name sound so much cooler. Thing is though, If I don't drop the series before reaching this arc, I'll give it a chance. I mean, there are many characters with wacky designs and names, so I might give it a shot.

When it comes to villains though, especially when it's Captain America's villains, unlike characters like Spider-Man and Batman, Cap only has a hand-full of good villains while the rest are laughable at best. Instead of creating more silly villains, I'd personally like them to focus on modernizing old characters and making them, y'know, cooler or at least creating more interesting villains than some guy named "Mindbubble," seriously, he just sounds ridiculous.

#35 Posted by BR_Havoc (1295 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Remender wants everything he ever writes to come back to Uncanny X Force. I look at Captain America's book ever since he took over and it started off well but he quickly fell back into old habits of writing the same story over and over. His style and tone just do not work for this book long term.

#36 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

When it comes to villains though, especially when it's Captain America's villains, unlike characters like Spider-Man and Batman, Cap only has a hand-full of good villains while the rest are laughable at best. Instead of creating more silly villains, I'd personally like them to focus on modernizing old characters and making them, y'know, cooler or at least creating more interesting villains than some guy named "Mindbubble," seriously, he just sounds ridiculous.

Yeah, Or maybe create new villains, I don't see why writers can't come up with interesting new villains. Mindbubble just seems stupid.