'tis but a barren wasteland

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

Search is not working except for forums. It works fine when I'm logged out, but once I login and try to work on a list the search function says "'tis but a barren wasteland" for everything.

I was working on a list when this happened. Are we allowed a certain number of searches per day. If so, can you share the details so I can avoid this?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

Search is not working except for forums. It works fine when I'm logged out, but once I login and try to work on a list the search function says "'tis but a barren wasteland" for everything.

I was working on a list when this happened. Are we allowed a certain number of searches per day. If so, can you share the details so I can avoid this?

Tagging @edgework and @jslack as they may be able to give you some details.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

Yea I had that problem used google to search comic vine that day and added the guys to the lists by there numbers.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Having this problem right now. Had been tagging characters and creators into comic issues without any problems, and then suddenly nothing was showing up in searches anymore.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

Having this problem right now. Had been tagging characters and creators into comic issues without any problems, and then suddenly nothing was showing up in searches anymore.

Same just happened to me. I'll see if this is the same on Mozilla as I'm using chrome.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, same thing there.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Having the same issue

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having the same issue

According to what I've been told, their is now a search limit, not sure what the limit is though. It was apparently put in place to stop all of the scrapers, it's also still being tweaked here and there atm.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Same here

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: Thanks for letting me know, much appreciated :)

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

OK I am very curious what the search limit is as I've been trying to make lists and or edit characters and all i get is this. So just knowing what the limit is would be helpful.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@knighthood said:

Tagging @edgework and @jslack as they may be able to give you some details.

Quoting since I can't "Call Out" because I can't search for anyone....

The limit can't be much, I was working on a list and got 42 items listed before I got the silly error AGAIN. Ugh!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a crazy huge amount, but just a few battle posts can run into the limit. Unfortunately we had people attempting to run entire dictionaries through the search just to cost us money with our search provider. I let @jslack know about this and hopefully we can add some exceptions for people with post counts over a certain threshold.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By knighthood

@rorie: Thanks. Even some detail like 50 searches in 30 minutes will cause this lockdown. The lockdown will be for 24 hours. Or whatever. If we know some details we can avoid it from happening.

Preventing people from running the dictionary will not be stopped if they could just logout and continue. I'm sure your aware of this. Just thought I'd point it out.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@rorie: post counts won't work, some of these scrapers and malicious scripts are used by actual users so statistically some of them will have higher post counts, I know I mentioned it somewhere else but the only good way is to add a toggle to user profile pages that staff and mods can turn on and off, on limited off no limit, not logged in even smaller limit.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pikahyper  Moderator

@knighthood: being logged in or out has nothing to do with it, if it did it wouldn't be very functional.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By knighthood

@pikahyper: I can still log out and search. It doesn't help me as a member of the community, but it could be done. That is what I was referencing.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pikahyper  Moderator

@knighthood: if you hit the search limit you shouldn't be able to search when logged out unless the feature was changed since last week.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: It's been that way since I mentioned it two weeks ago...

Logged In

No Caption Provided

Logged Out

No Caption Provided

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pikahyper  Moderator
KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By KritikalMassX

Now I'm getting that too while working on a list.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kritikalmassx: I think it's a 24 hour block of sorts. Try again tomorrow. :(

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

We're going to make a change so Wiki Mods have a much higher limit. We should be able to get that live within 2 weeks. Sorry, we've been slammed lately.

kaljenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't even added anything to my list in the last 24 hours, i've just come on now to add a few items to it and right away i'm getting the 'tis but a barren wasteland :(

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I can't compose any new pms because the site won't let me tag other users to the message. Instead it says "tis but a barren wasteland" regardless of whatever character I type in.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's doing it for me too.

Mugy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"'tis but a barren wasteland" same problem

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been having this issue while trying to update wiki information/issues/etc.

Hope it gets fixed soon & thanks to those who are working hard to solve this issue!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, alright, it sounds like this might be something unrelated to the search limits. I'll file a bug for it and we'll see what we can find out.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just some general information about my current issue with this bug.

1.) I can't search, this seems to be common with everyone suffering within the barren wasteland.

No Caption Provided

2.) I can't add characters/locations/objects/etc to issue articles while editing the wiki, they just don't appear.

No Caption Provided

Don't know if this information helps at all.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having the same problem.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@rorie said:

It's not a crazy huge amount, but just a few battle posts can run into the limit. Unfortunately we had people attempting to run entire dictionaries through the search just to cost us money with our search provider. I let @jslack know about this and hopefully we can add some exceptions for people with post counts over a certain threshold.

I haven't done any searching in the last couple of days (unless user callouts count), and I ran into it first thing when I logged in just now. If certain users are running dictionaries through the search, wouldn't it make more sense to ban the user, rather than making the site harder for everybody? If I can't search the wiki, this site loses a good portion of its usefulness. I'm not a sixteen year old kid trying to escape his parents Facebook-overwatch by socializing in the Off-Topic forum. I want to write fics, blogs, make lists, and sometimes edit the wiki. Search is important for all of that. I know you guys are putting out fires all of the time, but there has to be a better way.

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been happening to me too.

I really don't know why this is happening.

Hopefully, ComicVine will fix this bug.

montydapunk.k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also having this same problem (tis but a barren wasteland) when I'm logged in. Moreover I am also unable to add any character to any issue. Please fix it.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont let you upload images from the vine.

And also it looks it doesnt let you put videos.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm also having this same problem (tis but a barren wasteland) when I'm logged in. Moreover I am also unable to add any character to any issue. Please fix it.

I am getting something similar, Tried adding Matt Baker as creator on an Issue and the creator search came up with nothing. Just as a test I typed in Stan Lee in the main search bar and got the old 'tis barren wasteland message. You know there is problem when the software can't find Stan Lee.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Ive been having the same problem. I tried to review a couple of comics, but when I search for it I cant get it to pull up. I also cant get to character pages unless they are hot topics. When will the issue be fixed?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@montydapunk_k said:

I am getting something similar, Tried adding Matt Baker as creator on an Issue and the creator search came up with nothing. Just as a test I typed in Stan Lee in the main search bar and got the old 'tis barren wasteland message. You know there is problem when the software can't find Stan Lee.

This is the issue I've been having as well; tried adding some characters & objects to an Issue and got nothing.

ord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

any chance to fix it?

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cloudguy
@rorie said:

Hmm, alright, it sounds like this might be something unrelated to the search limits. I'll file a bug for it and we'll see what we can find out.

All of this needs to be fixed in general it's refraining decent users from working on the wiki, this is more of a temporary fix then a decent one, rather then stop the scrapers, it's just annoying actual users.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Been having the same problem too. I can't even look up a simple character in the search bar without getting "tis a barren wasteland". On top of that, whenever I just decide press "Enter" (which usually takes me to a page with possible matches) I get nothing.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jslack  Moderator

Aware of this. Working on a fix atm. Thanks for report.

ord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am now able to search for things again; thank you so much for those who worked hard to fix this problem!

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am now able to search for things again; thank you so much for those who worked hard to fix this problem!

Scratch that, it's back.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I can't add appearances to comics again.