#1 Posted by mypasswordis1234 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did you have to change the old forum system? That worked perfectly well (apart the image upload). Now we have a not-better designed forum, with a lot of annoying bugs that make the using impossible. It couldn't post my message, it just disappeared, and it happened more than once. I copied luckily, but it disappeared every time I posted whatever I change before re-post it. And I never got message about replies to me. What if someone reply me in a months old thread, and waiting an answer? And I "following" 18 member. But I can't give a cr4p about those 18 member. ... There are other minor bugs too, but in summary: At any other work, if someone screw his/her/their job this much, they would be fired the sh1t out of that place.

#2 Posted by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@mypasswordis1234: did it ever occur to you that it may be you? sure there is a known bug that makes posts disappear but it is being worked on and it doesn't happen all that often maybe a few times a day, as for notifications they work fine just check your settings.

#3 Posted by JetiiMitra (8718 posts) - - Show Bio

So in other words, you know nothing about programming.

For the record I've had none of those bugs except a couple of late notifications, months ago.

#4 Posted by mypasswordis1234 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: I am sorry, but did you just ask that if the bugs are my fault?

Indeed the notifications were disabled(not by me) thx.

@mitran said:

For the record I've had none of those bugs except a couple of late notifications, months ago.

What do you know about programming? And should I know that why they release a beta engine for almost a year?

#5 Posted by JetiiMitra (8718 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

What do you know about programming? And should I know that why they release a beta engine for almost a year?

Enough to know that when a system is complex enough, there is no such thing as bug-free. And that the minor bugs you're complaining about are nowhere near screw-ups worth getting fired over.

I don't know what your second question is asking.

#6 Posted by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@mypasswordis1234: a lot of the problems users have on this site are due to user error, the same can be said for a lot of websites and technology in general, just because something is happening to you does not mean it is a problem with the site and most certainly shouldn't mean someone should be fired. Instead of jumping straight at complaining how bout making an actual bug report listing your problems, browser name and version and operating system then see if other users are having the same problems. Posts disappearing is a know bug that has been reported many times and it was very hard to figure out the cause but it was recently discovered and if it hasn't been fixed in the last few days I'm sure it will be fixed very soon.

#7 Edited by BumpyBoo (10061 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as I understand it, changing the site was a legal obligation, and the staff here had no choice in the matter. Sure it's not perfect, but I think our engineers made the best of a bad situation, and considering the time frame they had, the size of the task, and how relatively little has gone wrong? Not too shabby at all.

Moderator Online
#8 Edited by Amaranth (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps a little harsh but the new site is a disappointment, to say the least.

Props for saying something a lot of people have been thinking though.

#9 Posted by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

I've had little to no problems with the new site...just sayin

#11 Edited by cbishop (8718 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: It's not fixed- The last five or six times I've logged in (over the last few days) CV has eaten my first comment or two every time. (And just to clarify- not jumping on the "fire 'em" bandwaggon at all, just commenting to the disappearing comments bug).

#12 Edited by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: ok, I haven't experienced it in a while and I've been on vacation so I wasn't sure if it was fixed yet, I know that a staff member figured out how to reproduce the bug before I left which was what the main hold up was so a fix should be out soon.

#13 Edited by cbishop (8718 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure with that attitude your complaints will be taken seriously.

#15 Edited by Pyrogram (40935 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kinda true though. In any other job, you'd be fired.

#16 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3768 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, the site is better than it use to be, in many ways. Searching for stuff is a bit easier now, for example.

#17 Posted by Pyrogram (40935 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, the site is better than it use to be, in many ways.

We must be on different sites.

#18 Edited by Eagle_of_the_East (867 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:
@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

#19 Edited by mypasswordis1234 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: The searching indeed better, I mean, this one works at least, not like the previous.

@pikahyper: I didn't do any error. Also I wont do a complete bug report, because I don't care that job. I was simply angry and wanted to make others know an opinion like this.

Further about the "errors" I do, I can't reply someone under the quote. Why? I mean, WHY THE FF Seriously, WTF do I have to make tricks to simply use what the forum for and write to people? Minor bug but make the regular use slower and annoying. And when I see a minor bug like this, make me thinking about aren't they meet this problem, didn't they can to solve it?

@mitran said:

@mypasswordis1234 said:

@mitran said:

Enough to know that when a system is complex enough, there is no such thing as bug-free. And that the minor bugs you're complaining about are nowhere near screw-ups worth getting fired over.

I don't know what your second question is asking.

I know that too, for a few weeks, or few months(very rare occasions). I have seen seen more than one design, or engine change on websites. But this was happened more than half year ago. And there are still bugs sometimes I barely can use the forum, and before this newer design, there were still bugs with the image upload. I guess these programmers aren't the most genius programmers out there.

#20 Edited by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@mypasswordis1234: They have been working on this bug for quite some time and the reason it has taken so long is because nobody could figure out how to duplicate it, a staff member figured it out recently and a fix will probably be released this week. CV has a very good team of programmers but we have to share them with other CBSi sites so they can't be here every day or week, they recently relaunched another site and have to spend their time fixing bugs from it and then they will shift back to fixing GB and CV bugs.

#21 Edited by mypasswordis1234 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: I guessed it well, then. I don't even comment that they couldn't figure out thing and they aren't always here(while it's not complete), but I have a question:

This technology is MORE than 10 year old. How is that they can't understand it? The text editor box, where I typing this, dunno how it's called. I have seen it many times work perfectly with a lot of smiley and image and quote. Basically the smiley and bold text and quote and such all works the same: [] [altgr6] These are placed after the cursor. How could it even went wrong?

edit: To say something good too, the notifications work better than on the previous forum.

#22 Edited by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@mypasswordis1234: the technology itself may be old for a wysiwyg editor but this is a custom implementation built for the CV/GB/GS publishing platform, while the skeleton code may be the same/similar as other editors each implementation has different features to make them unique and that is generally where problems can occur as a lot of logic needs to be built in to cover all use cases and what makes this specific situation odd and hard to figure out is that it happens here but not on GB or GS which use the same code for the editor.

#23 Posted by Farkam (4954 posts) - - Show Bio

Only problem I have is lack of notifications. :v That sucks.

#24 Posted by mypasswordis1234 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: It was set disabled, but you can enable it on your settings.

@mypasswordis1234: the technology itself may be old for a wysiwyg editor but this is a custom implementation built for the CV/GB/GS publishing platform, while the skeleton code may be the same/similar as other editors each implementation has different features to make them unique and that is generally where problems can occur as a lot of logic needs to be built in to cover all use cases and what makes this specific situation odd and hard to figure out is that it happens here but not on GB or GS which use the same code for the editor.

I still don't understand why can't I reply after the cursor, but I have nothing else to complain about, the quoting works as it should work now.

#25 Edited by Farkam (4954 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: It was set disabled, but you can enable it on your settings.

@pikahyper said:

I still don't understand why can't I reply after the cursor, but I have nothing else to complain about, the quoting works as it should work now.

Thanks, dude.

#26 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3768 posts) - - Show Bio
@pyrogram said:
@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

Well, I spend less time in the forums. Do they have alot of bugs?

#27 Posted by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@mypasswordis1234: the caret may be in front of the reply but if you just start typing it will move by itself to the end of the reply, if you have multiple replies though you do need to hit the down arrow to move to the end otherwise you will shift inbetween call-outs. Manipulating the caret is actually a pain in the butt from a programming standpoint as the procedure to do so varies depending on the browser.

#28 Posted by mypasswordis1234 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: I don't think we talk about the same thing.

This is what I talk about:

2. This is where the nickname appear after I press reply. 1.Read from here. This is where I wrote.

But nevermind, I don't say anything to fix it now or fire them, I just told an opinion after it annoyed me.

#29 Posted by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@mypasswordis1234: I think it is the same thing, you go to another post, hit reply, the username gets added to the editor in bold with the @ in front of it, the cursor caret is in front of the @ sign even though logically it should be after the reply in plain text, some users don't realize that if you just start typing the text will be added after the reply like it should even though the expected result since the caret is in front would be for the text to be in front of the reply.

#30 Posted by Z3RO180 (6623 posts) - - Show Bio

@mypasswordis1234: Bo Hoo for you. One little bug and your crying to high heaven. The staff and programmers are doing the best they can and they are doing a great at it to.

#31 Posted by pikahyper (12422 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: please keep it civil, there is no need to escalate.

#32 Posted by _Avatar_ (985 posts) - - Show Bio

Although he's being a bit rude about it, most of what he said is accurate.

I have similar feelings, but I'm trying to get away from raging.

#33 Edited by mypasswordis1234 (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: The only thing I made this topic, because at that time it made me angry. I usually ignore the bugs and ads on the internet. I was lucky because my keyboard got worse too and when I pressed control+c all my message vanished and only a "c" reamain.:D So I had to rewrite it, and it is even less rude than it was originally.

#34 Posted by Surkit (11603 posts) - - Show Bio

I just feel sorry for the paying members at this point.