#1 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry, but having the staff reviews prominently above the cover reeks of inappropriate priorities.

Considering all other reviews are a footnote to the issue pages, having a staff review up front and seemingly deemed more important than an issue cover or any issue details and everything else on the page is borderline offensive. The "Wikipedia of comics" indeed... ¬_¬

#2 Edited by wmwadeii (3244 posts) - - Show Bio

I also don't like the sponsored links right in the middle of pages. I dont mind tha banner ads and the sideline ads, but the sponsored links like you see on google are distracting and IMO unneeded for a huge company like CBS. The reviews and latest news used to be in this section. I believe they should be put there, and for that matter bring back the latest news feed to pages that link to them in blogs and forums.

#3 Posted by pikahyper (11749 posts) - - Show Bio

Staff reviews have always been at the top, now instead of being above the content they are just above the cover.

#4 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, but in the old days they were nowhere near as intrusive as they are now. Imagine if a site like Wikipedia had some review of Bill Gates taking up most of the top of his page on a site that aspires to be encyclopaedic.

And then it's also just pretty mean how the staff reviews get THAT much exposure when you look at how regular user reviews are shuffled off to the footnotes of a page and reduced to abridged blocks of text.

On top of that the links to staff reviews usually take me to an error page too.

#5 Posted by pikahyper (11749 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35: old days meaning last month? cause right before the change over I'd say they were more intrusive then then they are now, the review box is much smaller, the stars aren't as huge either and using a transparent layer over the cover image is pretty cute. Normally ya I'm not too happy with things being above the cover but I think it is nicer then the review box that was there last week.

#6 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, thanks Overlord Pika.

#7 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii said:

I also don't like the sponsored links right in the middle of pages. I dont mind tha banner ads and the sideline ads, but the sponsored links like you see on google are distracting and IMO unneeded for a huge company like CBS. The reviews and latest news used to be in this section. I believe they should be put there, and for that matter bring back the latest news feed to pages that link to them in blogs and forums.

Ad-Blocker. Problem solved. ;)

#8 Edited by pikahyper (11749 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by etragedy (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta say I kind of agree that no review should be above the cover.

@pikahyper said:

Normally ya I'm not too happy with things being above the cover but I think it is nicer then the review box that was there last week.

Actually last week there was a link to the top rated review of each comic - so even on comics that had no staff review (which is most of them), the user review that had the most recommendations was there above the comic. But I see that has already gone away too.

O.K., so even Top Users are not as important as Staff. That's cool, life isn't fair. It's not a community democracy it's a corporate owned dictatorship. Don't like it, go away or start your own site or something. I can accept that. But if there's going to be a highlighted review, why can't it at least be a consistent look for all pages by breaking out the best review as chosen by the users for issues when there's no staff review available?

@x35 said:

And then it's also just pretty mean how the staff reviews get THAT much exposure when you look at how regular user reviews are shuffled off to the footnotes of a page and reduced to abridged blocks of text.
I have to agree with X35 here - user reviews have been consistently demoted in site redesigns. They got moved to the review section behind staff reviews and then removed from menu navigation altogether.
But the way they are now - especially for a site whose business model is based on user generated content - it's a little annoying to those of us who've put in 1,000s of hours of effort over the years into reviewing comics to be suddenly relegated to second class status. Especially given how many of the users are as good or better writers and critics than some of the staff.
#10 Posted by wmwadeii (3244 posts) - - Show Bio

@etragedy said:

But if there's going to be a highlighted review, why can't it at least be a consistent look for all pages by breaking out the best review as chosen by the users for issues when there's no staff review available?

I agree, if there isn't a Staff review it would be nice if the user review with the most likes takes that spot on the volume. I remember there was an old quest that if your review gets picked you get the quest reward but I've never seen anyone other than a staff members review on the news page or issues. This would be a nice way for the community to recognize its peers and say nice review and keep up the good work.

#11 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio
@etragedy said:
I have to agree with X35 here - user reviews have been consistently demoted in site redesigns. They got moved to the review section behind staff reviews and then removed from menu navigation altogether.

Also, presented now so you have to go out of your way to read a full review... and you can't read more than one full review at a time (unless you go nuts with like multiple tabs). Just frustrating to writers and inconvenient to readers.

Also, basically no way at to tell what the hell issue is being reviewed on a users profile:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/x35/reviews/

Not only is there no cover as there once was but now it also removes all formatting within the summary and in my (and other users) cases, that just makes it look hella ugly since images are used.

#12 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.

I have to agree -- there is something off about a website that pushes the idea of a wiki-style information base created and supported by the community when on its home page, you would think the only reviews to be found are all staff-created.

I also agree about how the review tabs work on individual profiles -- there is no way of knowing what has been reviewed like before (when there was the issue cover at least to be found).

Plus, most of the community submitted articles are almost and even in some cases over a year old.

@xanni15 said:

@wmwadeii said:

Ad-Blocker. Problem solved. ;)

Not supposed to mention that. Kinda defeats the whole reason for CBS taking on CV in the first place...

#13 Edited by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I had no idea. I never even knew CV had ads until someone else mentioned it.

#14 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@lykopis: I had no idea. I never even knew CV had ads until someone else mentioned it.

YOU'RE DAMN FOOL XANNII

#15 Edited by etragedy (1065 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly, it seems like a lot of thought was given to the redesign of forum users, rpgers and wiki editors but not for reviewers.

Maybe we just need to adapt with the times and post reviews in the forums if we want to be visible?

I noticed that someone posted a review of Detective #900 in the forums and it's getting a lot of responses:

http://www.comicvine.com/detective-comics-19-the-900-birth-of-a-family-bird/4000-395672/forums/

Not the most elegant solution, but unless there is another update in the pipeline, we all may have to work with what we've got. :-/

#16 Edited by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to know I'm not alone in thinking this...

#18 Posted by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: Thanks! Saved ^__^ I was sad I lost that!

#19 Edited by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

HA!

@etragedy said:

Sadly, it seems like a lot of thought was given to the redesign of forum users, rpgers and wiki editors but not for reviewers.

Maybe we just need to adapt with the times and post reviews in the forums if we want to be visible?

I noticed that someone posted a review of Detective #900 in the forums and it's getting a lot of responses:

http://www.comicvine.com/detective-comics-19-the-900-birth-of-a-family-bird/4000-395672/forums/

Not the most elegant solution, but unless there is another update in the pipeline, we all may have to work with what we've got. :-/

Oh wow. Maybe have a specific forum for user-generated reviews?

@x35 said:

Good to know I'm not alone in thinking this...

Nope, you aren't. I purposely seek out reviews from specific users because I enjoy their approach and perspectives rather than the site's Staff.

Maybe people are thinking this is being changed/updated and that it's not the new normal?

#20 Edited by Pyrogram (36304 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Don't be jealous , You know you want -99 also, Don't be jealous ;P

#21 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@lykopis: Don't be jealous , You know you want -99 also, Don't be jealous ;P

I can't help it. It seriously looks so bad@ss -- like you're giving the finger to wiki-editing. Sooooooo rebellious....

#24 Edited by alexisg (22 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35 said:

Yeah, but in the old days they were nowhere near as intrusive as they are now. Imagine if a site like Wikipedia had some review of Bill Gates taking up most of the top of his page on a site that aspires to be encyclopaedic.

On top of that the links to staff reviews usually take me to an error page too.

Well the problem with placing the user reviews any higher than where they are is that they can get a little unwieldy when there are a bunch of them. It seems logical that the issue description would go above the user reviews. As far as the staff review being well we need to showcase the review from our staff somehow and for new viewers of the site its a nice callout to the editorial side of comicvine.

That all being said, yes this page could use an update and its on my plate of things to look over. I'd like to balance the staff and user reviews somehow and also make it obvious how you can get to the other reviews (I think the button to view all reviews was simply missed when someone added this module).

@x35 said:

Also, basically no way at to tell what the hell issue is being reviewed on a users profile:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/x35/reviews/

Not only is there no cover as there once was but now it also removes all formatting within the summary and in my (and other users) cases, that just makes it look hella ugly since images are used.

Good point.

@wmwadeii said:

I hate those sponsored links and have been trying to keep them at bay quite a bit. But in all honesty with the amount of ad blocking that occurs it only encourages larger sites to use more drastic measures. CBS being huge does not really have any impact on us in this regard. We still have to carry our weight. Display ads, video prerolls and memberships (from both GiantBomb and ComicVine) are what keep the site going, at least as far as money goes. The community and editorial keep the site going from a content and great site perspective.

Staff
#25 Edited by wmwadeii (3244 posts) - - Show Bio

@alexisg: have you guys looked into the suggestion of when no staff review is present to allow the highest rated user review to take that spot. The site is primarily user based and letting the users get a little pat on the back for their efforts and time invested in writing a review would be nice.

#26 Posted by pikahyper (11749 posts) - - Show Bio

@alexisg:

That all being said, yes this page could use an update and its on my plate of things to look over. I'd like to balance the staff and user reviews somehow and also make it obvious how you can get to the other reviews (I think the button to view all reviews was simply missed when someone added this module).

If you are open to suggestions I just threw some stuff together and put it in a blog so I wouldn't hijack the thread :D If you have any questions or need something clarified let me know :)

#27 Edited by etragedy (1065 posts) - - Show Bio
@alexisg said:

Thank you!!!!!

I also made some suggestions in @pikahyper's improve comic vine 2.0 thread:

@etragedy said:
  • If you go to a user's review page you can't even tell what comic they're reviewing anymore - the title and - fixed, thanks!
  • cover image are no longer associated with the reviews - please fix this as soon as possible
  • Put staff and user reviews back in one combined feed and put it on the front page of the site or at least have it accessible from the top menu.
  • Make the reviews feed sortable so you can search by things like, most recent reviews, most recent comics, staff reviews only, top reviewers only, most recommended, by publisher, character, etc.
  • Bring back half stars for users and staff alike.
  • Move all reviews to the bottom of the issue pages.
  • If highlighted reviews are to be kept, make it the ones with the most user recommendations, not automatically staff or nothing.
  • Show all reviews on an issue page; currently defaults to showing only three (seems to be random, not top recommended or most recent)

#28 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

The main thing that annoys me is that there isn't a section for user reviews as you have to rely on someone telling you they've done a review, looking to see if they've done a review or looking on pages for reviews, whereas I enjoyed seeing reviews for titles I wouldn't consider otherwise, but now that's not easy.

#29 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

I notice it's also the case with articles and character pages. Check out Hulk's page. The recent articles comes before most of the actual page...this is just completely inappropriate priorities for a site that claims to be an information resource above all else. Again, Wikipedia doesn't bombard you with "journalism" and "opinion" above everything else on a page.