People Getting Banned

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@pikahyper said:

@jungala: the spam bot? not that one specifically, it works pretty well, it misses a lot but it rarely bans the wrong people, usually the only people it bans by mistake are the users that make the bad decision to post in a spam thread, they walk right into the net so it is their own fault.

Instead of posting little posts here and there everywhere in this thread, I think you should write a single post on this forum or anywhere explaining why / how we got banned and why everything we wrote has disappeared.

Well I already summed up what Pikahyper said in the OP and added a big "Warning Please Read: Important Message" picture too. So that should be taken care of.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey Don't worry though. Your posts/threads/blogs/lists should be back soon.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@theamazingspidey Don't worry though. Your posts/threads/blogs/lists should be back soon.

I hope. I put a lot of effort into my posts and blogs. It'd be a shame if me and many other users lost all of our stuff.

Jungala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: It's just always seemed to me that making a program into the metaphorical judge, jury, and executioner is courting disaster, but I get that it's not my call to make. Hope this gets sorted out okay.

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By PreCrisisBardock

When ya don't pay yo bot enough and it goes rogue.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BurntToast002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm back baby.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese and @cbishop got banned. Not sure who else.

Hope their posts haven't been deleted forever, as some people have suggested.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think @spareheadone: has been banned too, All his posts have disappeared.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mysticmedivh
BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@impurestcheese and @cbishop got banned. Not sure who else.

Hope their posts haven't been deleted forever, as some people have suggested.

cbishop here. Both my @cbishop and @ficopedia accounts are banned. I was unaware of the blogs being gone until I read this thread, but aw... crud... every one of them is gone. That's years of work- I really hope you guys have a restoral process.

Also, the auto-message that literally says, "You cannot respond to this message because you have been banned. Too bad too sad," is in poor taste.

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those of you who have been affected but have had your problem resolved, or want to avoid this problem, do not post more than five links and/or images total in a single post. This counts for blogs, reviews, and lists as well. Otherwise, doing so could lead to more problems.

Is this five links/images thing temporary until this bug is fixed, or is that a permanent "solution?" Just in the Fan-Fic forum alone, index/library pages are standard practice for organizing series of stories. And the @ficopedia account is set up to organize the entire forum- that whole account is blogs with multiple links. Even five images is pretty standard on longer stories- pretty sure that's so in RPG and Artist Show-Off too. There's got to be a better solution than that.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mysticmedivh

@bumpinthenight: This seems to be a temporary problem, meaning that once it's solved you shouldn't be experiencing any more problems should you post more than 5 images or links, or anything else that might trigger this.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpinthenight: Deleted posts/threads/blogs/lists should be restored too.

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BumpInTheNight

@bumpinthenight: This seems to be a temporary problem, meaning that once it's solved you shouldn't be experiencing any more problems should you post more than 5 images or links, or anything else that might trigger this.

Really glad to know both.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I think my friend @RavenVice01 may have been banned because of this bug. In our pm it say all of his messages have been deleted. If he did get banned, please fix this issue soon so he can come back.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BumpInTheNight

@mysticmedivh: and @rorie: even though my cbishop and ficopedia accounts were banned, I was able to log into them. I just wasn't able to respond to anything, and all of my blogs/posts were gone. Don't know if that info helps or not, but there it is.

Edit: But I did have site messages telling me I couldn't respond because I was banned, even though I was able to log in.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpinthenight: Yeah. If your account is permabanned then you can still log in, but you can't do much else though.

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh: Ah, thought "banned" always meant "can't log in." Got it. Okay, I'm going to quit responding now so techs can see what they need to see here. Thanks.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mysticmedivh

@bumpinthenight said:

@mysticmedivh: Ah, thought "banned" always meant "can't log in." Got it. Okay, I'm going to quit responding now so techs can see what they need to see here. Thanks.

No problem

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#76 pikahyper  Moderator

@theamazingspidey: Indonesian sites/servers are most likely flagged as an attack source from past attacks, that's the only reason I can think why anything with an Indonesian domain name would be an auto-ban.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 pikahyper  Moderator

@mysticmedivh: ok this is probably going to be a confusing explanation but if you can rewrite it and make it simple for the community you can update your OP with the new info:

First off all this stuff can be restored, posts, threads, reviews, blog, etc., it is super simple for a staff member to restore but the larger your account is i.e. the more posts, blogs, etc. you have the longer it takes for the system to restore them, a recent example is an account with over 4k posts that took like a week and a half to restore cause it was just too big for the system to process it. We mods can only unban your accounts easily anything else would have to be undeleted by us manually and that is a huge time suck that we will not attempt so tomorrow hopefully someone will look into this but being the day before Thanksgiving I dunno this could continue until Monday unfortunately.

Now the confusing part, a lot of your accounts are being banned not because you did anything wrong but because you posted in a thread were the OP was found to have done something wrong so it creates a cascading ban, for example if mysticmedivh got banned again right now this thread would be deleted along with all of his threads, posts, reviews, blogs, etc again plus every single user that posted in this thread would also be banned because we posted in a tainted thread, just think of "six degrees of separation", we are all connected because of the forum somehow and the bot banning threshold being lower is just causing a chain reaction that is rippling out in new things as well as old things going back years all because a small number of users are posting too many links, images or linking to blacklisted things. I honestly doubt this low threshold is intentional and if it was I don't think they did enough research to see how common it is for CV users to posts lots of images and links, potentially the new threshold could have been decided based on what users on GiantBomb need which is rarely what CV users need. The thing to remember though is that this is like ripples, it will continue and it will get worse as the ripples spread through the forum until the bot is fixed or turned off, and now that I think about it I might be able to get someone to turn it off tonight so I'll try to contact him in a minute so that it is turned off until it is fixed.

Give it time though just keep posting banned account names here and we'll keep unbanning them and when this is fixed the staff will start restoring your stuff.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is an entire thread missing. It's made by @thecatalyst. If it deletes threads by the user then he may be banned too.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 pikahyper  Moderator

ok everybody up to this point is unbanned, I do not have time to check alts so that will be up to you, keep posting here if your account is banned or your alts are banned, if you were banned for something else entirely or before today do not post I do not want my time wasted by people trying to sneak out of a legit ban.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 pikahyper  Moderator

@maverick_6: you are posting about known problems, banned users threads are being deleted, we do not need to know about these threads/posts/blogs/reviews we just need usernames of banned users please.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 pikahyper  Moderator

@mysticmedivh: please update your OP, the threshold is lower then I though, nobody should post more then four images and links total in a post, I'm seeing users banned for posting five.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh: please update your OP, the threshold is lower then I though, nobody should post more then four images and links total in a post, I'm seeing users banned for posting five.

Done.

I'll add the larger thing you wanted in the OP in a sec as well.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper:

Yeah. I gave his username. I also am unbanned and yet...

I have quite a few blogs, all of which are gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh: I haven't been banned just don't come on as often because my laptop broke

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam said:

@mysticmedivh: I haven't been banned just don't come on as often because my laptop broke

@pikahyper Did you just unban this guy or was I seeing things again?

Just checked. @willienotwilliam You were probably banned but Pikahyper or another mod unbanned you before you noticed it. Right now every post you have ever made has been deleted. I can see this by going to your profile and checking your posts. All gone, which indicates you were.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 pikahyper  Moderator

Yep the previous two were banned and are now unbanned.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mysticmedivh

@waezi2 said:

@mysticmedivh: But I'm still here!

Looking at your posts (which are non-existent), you were permabanned, but Pikahyper unbanned you.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

Looking at your posts (which are non-existent), you were permabanned, but Pikahyper unbanned you.

WHAT?! WHY!? I haven't done anything!

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: What the heck did I do to get banned?! I don't swear... anymore. And I don't spam people!

And now all my posts are gone!

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By mysticmedivh

@pikahyper I edited OP. All good or is there anything else that needs to be added?

@waezi2 said:
@mysticmedivh said:
@waezi2 said:

WHAT?! WHY!? I haven't done anything!

Nobody here has done anything wrong. It's just a bug affecting a lot of other users as well to say the least.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@waezi2: It's a bot problem regarding links and images Waezi.

Does this link/image saturation include '@'callouts as well?

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Wyldsong

@mysticmedivh said:

@jloneblackheart: I believe Wydlsong was also creator of the Hall of Fame voting thread which was pinned in the battle forums but is now deleted as a result of the problems at hand.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/debaters-hall-of-fame-round-xi-voting-round-1748930/#90

All of my blogs, including my HOF thread is gone...the voting round seems to be back up, but the main blog for the HoF is gone...as are my few comic reviews...but I at least seem to be able to post for now. I'll be honest, I'm not too worried about the various threads and such, but it would be nice to get my blogs/reviews back.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#95  Edited By vinomonster

@mysticmedivh: Thanks mate, I was banned earlier for no reason. Thank you for tagging me.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

My cbishop account is unbanned. My Blog tab is visible again, but the blogs are not yet restored (just giving info here- I realize this is going to take time). Also, my Forums tab has been visible all along, and it's showing 722 pages, but none of the posts are visible (again: this is just for info purposes).

Checking on my ficopedia account.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

Same with my ficopedia account- unbanned. Forums tab visible, showing 30 pages, but no posts visible. Blog tab visible again, no blogs visible. Glad to know it's fixable, I realize it might be after the holiday, thanks @rorie and company for keeping us up and running, @pikahyper for keeping us updated, @mysticmedivh for keeping this organized, and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, a little early. ;)

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@mysticmedivh: Hi mystic, I asked this earlier but does the spam bot pick up excessive ampunts of '@usernames? Just curious, and worried about how much I have to edit my next blog before release