Pages can only handle so many aliases

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#1  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I'm pretty sure it is cut off after a set number of characters but the alias field only allows so many aliases to be saved, it lets me add them but on save it cuts them off.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We do have a limit on aliases based on characters. I can see about increasing it (how large a list do you forsee?)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pikahyper  Moderator

@mrpibb: honestly since only mods and staff can add or delete them why have a limit at all? can you change the database field to a blob? I'm guessing you are using a varchar with a deliminator between aliases and exploding them? switching from a varchar to blob shouldn't interfere with that. I dunno I couldn't even guess on a good limit, if I say too low and six months down the line we hit the wall how easy will it be to get it changed? you guys won't be around nearly as much I'm guessing.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We'll be around :)

I'd prefer not to use a blob, that can cause problems in the future and validation is harder with that. I'll bump up the limits in the next 2-3 days, something like 2-3k characters. The upgrade is fast and painless.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 owie  Moderator

I was going to say that I had a problem because I couldn't add aliases--the fields are locked--but I see above that you say that only mods and staff can add/delete aliases.

Why is this? I know sometimes people went nuts adding too many aliases, but it would be nice to be able to add them ourselves.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

@owie: abuse, plain and simple, few bad apples ruin things for everyone sometimes. Part of it might be to make sure certain pages always have the same aliases for search rankings though.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 owie  Moderator

@owie: abuse, plain and simple, few bad apples ruin things for everyone sometimes. Part of it might be to make sure certain pages always have the same aliases for search rankings though.

So if we have (legitimate) aliases that should be added to some characters, we should PM a mod about it or something?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@owie: there is a thread for it in Editing & Tools :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pikahyper  Moderator
@mrpibb said:

I'd prefer not to use a blob, that can cause problems in the future and validation is harder with that. I'll bump up the limits in the next 2-3 days, something like 2-3k characters. The upgrade is fast and painless.

Did this ever happen? it seems like the limit has actually lowered in the past four days as many popular pages with lots of aliases have had aliases automatically removed without editing cause of the limit and for ones that were unaffected by the auto cut-off aliases are being removed on save.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmm, we haven't done a db change. I'll look into it today. Is this on a specific object or all objects?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@mrpibb: not sure, I'm seeing it on character pages but characters are usually the only pages with lots of aliases, I'll try a couple other page types.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pikahyper  Moderator

@mrpibb: the limit is 247 characters now, example (let me know when you are done with the example so I can change it back :P).

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks. I see the issue and we'll probably do a fix early next week to increase the amount of aliases.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pikahyper  Moderator